ADVERTISEMENT

SJS Section Playoffs & Possible Seedings

cptmycpa

Sports Fanatic
Jan 19, 2016
Based on today's 2-6-2020 league standings in the Sac-Joaquin Section (SJS), current MaxPreps rankings, and the SJS website, below are teams who have made the SJS playoffs with "possible" seedings solely on MaxPreps rankings (not realistic). Subject to change by Friday, next week, 2/14. No Open division for SJS this 2019-2020 season.
http://www.cifsjs.org/sports/wbkb/playoffs

Division 1:
1. St. Mary's 16-4
2. McClatchy 22-2
3. Folsom 18-5
4. Oak Ridge 18-5
5. Franklin - Elk Grove 21-4
6. Woodcreek 22-5
7. Monterey Trail 15-4
8. Granite Bay 15-8
9. Lincoln - Stockton 17-9
10. Edison 19-6
11. Pitman 19-6
12. St. Francis 13-11
13. Rocklin 12-13
14. Sheldon 14-10
15. Davis 13-11 (2/17, Play in game)
16. Bear Creek 14-10 (2/17, Play in game)
17. Turlock 12-12 (2/17, Play in game at Bear Creek)
18. Chavez 12-9 (2/17, Play in game at Davis)

Division 2:
1. Antelope 22-3
2. Laguna Creek 22-2
3. Del Oro 17-8
4. Lincoln - Lincoln 23-3
5. Grant 16-9
6. Vista Del Lago 15-9
7. Sacramento 12-12
8. Roseville 13-10
9. Modesto Christian 13-11
10. Atwater 17-9
11. Elk Grove 11-14
12. Del Campo 13-10
13. River Valley 13-12
14. Cordova 15-9
15. Rodriguez 13-10
16. Golden Valley 15-10 (Play in game)
17. Wood 9-15 (Play in game at Golden Valley)

Division 3:
1. Placer 22-2
2. Christian Brothers 17-7
3. Vanden 20-4
4. East Union 22-4
5. Kimball 21-5
6. Manteca 17-6
7. Merced 22-3
8. West Campus 17-5
9. Nevada Union 14-11
10. Pioneer 21-5
11. Livingston 16-6
12. Oakdale 15-9
13. El Capitan 14-12
14. Sierra 13-12
15. Patterson 12-11
16. Woodland 15-8

It sure looks like there are four legit candidates for the NorCal Open: SMS, McClatchy, Antelope and Laguna Creek. It's hard for me to see how CIF takes just one from SJS and four from NCS.

Laguna Creek isn’t getting moved up. They will get a shot at winning one of the regular divisions.

Antelope’s loss to Cardinal Newman and Oakland Tech keeps them out too.

McClatchy is interesting but losing to Cal is tough to justify too.

It looks like 5 NCS schools working for four spots.

Most likely I am thinking 2 from CCS (Mitty and Pinewood), St Mary's representing SJS as always, and 3 from NCS. It will be very interesting and fun to see how the first NCS Open Division plays out. I think Salesian should be in already as they have quality wins vs BOD, MM and Pinewood. Right now I would give the nod for the other 2 spots to CN and SJND (both of their SOS is low only because of their weak leagues). SJND has beaten Salesian head to head and played Mitty as tough as anyone. CN doesn't have the big quality wins (unless you count Antelope and Heritage), but did beat Regis Jesuit (and MM lost to Regis). BOD's big win was vs SMS but lost head to head to both Salesian and MM. MM is the wildcard still because they finish the season with 4 strong opponents (SMS and Pinewood). And of course we will see how it al plays out this year with the first NCS Open! Those games will be fun to watch!

Reactions: OnBall8
Laguna Creek isn’t getting moved up. They will get a shot at winning one of the regular divisions.

Antelope’s loss to Cardinal Newman and Oakland Tech keeps them out too.

McClatchy is interesting but losing to Cal is tough to justify too.

It looks like 5 NCS schools working for four spots.

Miramonte hasn't won a regular division either -- so should they be kept down? I don't think that's a good argument at all. Miramonte has never won a state title at any level, so therefore the Mats don't go Open?

The 2019-20 postseason should be based on the 2019-20 results, no more and no less -- though that's unlikely. The committee will make the kinds of decisions committees make ...

The real problem is the lack of head-to-head competition between the main NCS contenders and the SJS group. Cardinal Newman beat Antelope, and Miramonte plays SMS Monday. Yes, McClatchy lost to Cal, but Cal has been dogged by injuries all year. Fully healthy, they're a threat to almost anyone.

Laguna Creek has lost only to Mitty and McClatchy (on the road). Beat McClatchy at home. So if Laguna Creek finished 27-2 and beats Antelope in the D-2 SJS title game, isn't that an Open resume? Miramonte, which also hasn't won a state title, could finish with three more losses than Laguna Creek, including two to out-of-area teams that could be compared to Cal High. (To be clear, I'm not trying to say Miramonte shouldn't be Open -- but that Laguna Creek, with a strength of schedule of 13.2, is as viable a candidate as SJND or Cardinal Newman or Miramonte.)

And if Cardinal Newman gets to the NCS Open finals, then Antelope can still slot behind them and get in the NorCal Open with an SJS D-2 title.

And note that McClatchy's strength of schedule is 15.5, so if McClatchy should upset SMS in the D-1 finals, wouldn't both McClatchy and SMS then be Open?

Now, I think most feel that NCS is still the strongest section, and I agree. But I also think there's a case to be made by the committee to take two from each section without destroying the integrity of the Open. Take these six:

Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
Miramonte
SMS
Antelope

Isn't that a legit NorCal Open? Is anyone really out of place in that group?

You could say that Newman should be ahead of Antelope, but what if Newman loses in the first round of the Open and Antelope dominates SJS D-2? Or ...

Mitty
Menlo
Salesian
Cardinal Newman
McClatchy
Antelope

Is that unreasonable?

Really the only team that absolutely is an Open team is Mitty. You could pretty much take any five from the next eight or nine and put together a very representative six-team Open.

Then again, the other way to do it is to take

4 NCS Open semifinalists
Mitty
SJS D-!

My sense is most feel this is how things will go, and you can't really argue with that either.

Reactions: basketba11
Yes Clay, the scenarios you present all make sense and will be possibilities depending how the Section playoffs turn out. SMS hasnt lost a Section game in 20 years, so they are big favorite. I agree if McClatchy was to upset SMS in the finals, then McClatchy definitely open worthy at that time. I also agree with Antelope. If they were to run through the D2 field easily and win the Section (and CN makes NorCal Open also), they are a worthy candidate as well. Laguna Creek can be considered if they roll through D2 SJS Section, but they don't really have the quality wins on their schedule like McClatchy and Antelope.
As you stated, the NCS is considered by many to be the strongest Section. All of them have the capability to beat each other and make a run in the Open. So whatever teams don't make the NorCal open will be the big favorites for D1 in my opinion.

CCS OPEN 1st and 2nd
SJS D1
NCS OPEN 1st and 2nd

Those 5 regardless of who wins should be locks

Then out of all of the remaining teams pick #6.

I dont see how anyone can argue that.

When the SJS goes to an OPEN then the 6 become simple. 2 from each. If we happen to have a year where more are worthy the CIF can go to an 8 team OPEN and choose accordingly after the automatic 6.

The more we take a "committee" decision out of it the better. Why have an OPEN at all if the top 2 arent automatic qualifiers?

Miramonte hasn't won a regular division either -- so should they be kept down? I don't think that's a good argument at all. Miramonte has never won a state title at any level, so therefore the Mats don't go Open?

The 2019-20 postseason should be based on the 2019-20 results, no more and no less -- though that's unlikely. The committee will make the kinds of decisions committees make ...

The real problem is the lack of head-to-head competition between the main NCS contenders and the SJS group. Cardinal Newman beat Antelope, and Miramonte plays SMS Monday. Yes, McClatchy lost to Cal, but Cal has been dogged by injuries all year. Fully healthy, they're a threat to almost anyone.

Laguna Creek has lost only to Mitty and McClatchy (on the road). Beat McClatchy at home. So if Laguna Creek finished 27-2 and beats Antelope in the D-2 SJS title game, isn't that an Open resume? Miramonte, which also hasn't won a state title, could finish with three more losses than Laguna Creek, including two to out-of-area teams that could be compared to Cal High. (To be clear, I'm not trying to say Miramonte shouldn't be Open -- but that Laguna Creek, with a strength of schedule of 13.2, is as viable a candidate as SJND or Cardinal Newman or Miramonte.)

And if Cardinal Newman gets to the NCS Open finals, then Antelope can still slot behind them and get in the NorCal Open with an SJS D-2 title.

And note that McClatchy's strength of schedule is 15.5, so if McClatchy should upset SMS in the D-1 finals, wouldn't both McClatchy and SMS then be Open?

Now, I think most feel that NCS is still the strongest section, and I agree. But I also think there's a case to be made by the committee to take two from each section without destroying the integrity of the Open. Take these six:

Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
Miramonte
SMS
Antelope

You could say that Newman should be ahead of Antelope, but what if Newman loses in the first round of the Open and Antelope dominates SJS D-2? Or ...

Mitty
Menlo
Salesian
Cardinal Newman
McClatchy
Antelope

Is that unreasonable?

Really the only team that absolutely is an Open team is Mitty. You could pretty much take any five from the next eight or nine and put together a very representative six-team Open.

4 NCS Open semifinalists
Mitty
SJS D-!

My sense is most feel this is how things will go, and you can't really argue with that either.

I don't understand the talk either of "getting to play down and win a division." Our first two years in the Open, we were way behind the other teams. We lost in the opening round by 29 then by 39 the next year. We were thrown in because CIF was supposed to fill a 16 team bracket with 8 teams from the North and 8 from the South.

If there are only 4-6 really strong teams in the North or the South, spots 7 and 8 shouldn't get a free pass to a lower division. It's a huge advantage for teams to get a BYE in the Open Division. They really need to take the top 16 from the State regardless of where they come from and have that be the Open Division. That's what the Open Division is supposed to be...the top 16 teams slugging it out. Shouldn't matter if 6 or 8 come from the same section if they are the top 16, they should go.

CCS OPEN 1st and 2nd
SJS D1
NCS OPEN 1st and 2nd

When the SJS goes to an OPEN then the 6 become simple. 2 from each. If we happen to have a year where more are worthy the CIF can go to an 8 team OPEN and choose accordingly after the automatic 6.

The more we take a "committee" decision out of it the better. Why have an OPEN at all if the top 2 arent automatic qualifiers?
Most likely this will be the case. And I agree in taking the decision-making out of a committee (we won't talk about how every year the committee makes big mistakes in selection/seeding lol). And actually it should be an Honor to make the Open and it is a big accomplishment for each school that does. Especially making the NCS Open final is huge this year, and should be recognized as such.

Mitty
Pinewood
Salesian
Miramonte
SMS
Antelope

Mitty
Menlo
Salesian
Cardinal Newman
McClatchy
Antelope

Is that unreasonable?

4 NCS Open semifinalists
Mitty
SJS D-!

Compare Miramonte past 5-10 years with Laguna Creek and tell me they are similar

I’m not advocating the idea. I’m saying that it is how things are done. Based on how the Open bracket has been put together, and barring something very unexpected, I would be shocked if Laguna Creek got placed in Open.

You outlined some different scenarios and there are ways that the SJS sends 2 and/or CCs sends 2. I was typing based on what we know today. Obviously there is a lot that can change.

CCS OPEN 1st and 2nd
SJS D1
NCS OPEN 1st and 2nd

#3 and possible #4 in NCS is better than #2 in CCS

Compare Miramonte past 5-10 years with Laguna Creek and tell me they are similar

But it's not about the last five or ten years, or Carondelet would be in the Open. All these decisions should be solely based on the 2019-20 results on the court. If the committee feels Laguna Creek is better than Miramonte, then Laguna Creek should get a higher placement regardless of history.

I agree that this is not the way it was done in the past, but competitive equity changes a lot. If it's about which is the better team -- as opposed to which team has won a state title -- then compare apples to apples and now to now, not apples to aged apple cider and today to yesterday.

Reactions: CW Golden Eagles

I’m not advocating the idea. I’m saying that it is how things are done. Based on how the Open bracket has been put together, and barring something very unexpected, I would be shocked if Laguna Creek got placed in Open.

You outlined some different scenarios and there are ways that the SJS sends 2 and/or CCs sends 2. I was typing based on what we know today. Obviously there is a lot that can change.

The MM team with Sabrina would be a #1 seed in NCS and open, hands down. But we all get caught up in the history of success of teams rather than what their body of work is NOW and today. On another thread, I said that Sacred Heart Cathedral should be nowhere near the open division because of their record, lack of quality wins, even though their strength of schedule is 20+. if they barely are eligible for playoffs, they should be in whatever division they qualify for. Same thing goes to Miramonte.

While I think they've had a great season, I think purposely they didn't schedule hard so that they get thrown in D1 rather than play open. I understand it's hard to make a 26 game schedule from scratch....

Bottom line is that each school should be rated according to what they have done this year-not based on past accomplishments.

But it's not about the last five or ten years, or Carondelet would be in the Open. All these decisions should be solely based on the 2019-20 results on the court. If the committee feels Laguna Creek is better than Miramonte, then Laguna Creek should get a higher placement regardless of history.

I agree that this is not the way it was done in the past, but competitive equity changes a lot. If it's about which is the better team -- as opposed to which team has won a state title -- then compare apples to apples and now to now, not apples to aged apple cider and today to yesterday.
You're just lobbying for Miramonte, there's no way they're going to put Laguna into the open, Stop just Stop!!!

Antelope should be in Open. They are cruising through SJS and playing very well. I’d like to see them against the best when it’s win or go home. I think they would do well.

Reactions: bballpeep
If there was ever going to be a year when they pull a Central Section team into the NorCal Open, I think this would be the year. Here's my guess at the NorCal Open seedings:

1. Archbishop Mitty
2. Salesian
3. Clovis West
4. St Mary's Stockton
5. Miramonte
6. Pinewood
7. McClatchy
8. Bishop O'Dowd

You're just lobbying for Miramonte, there's no way they're going to put Laguna into the open, Stop just Stop!!!

First, I agree that Laguna Creek very likely won't be in the Open. But, just for the sake of argument, if Laguna Creek were one of the top eight teams in Northern California, and they took eight, should Laguna Creek be in? If not, why not?

As for Miramonte, top two in NCS Open are locks, so if we get there, we're in. If three NCS teams go, presumably the higher seed that loses in the semis is the one; if four, all those in the semis.

Maybe the results of the NCS Open will determine how many NCS teams go to NorCal Open.

But if Miramonte is on the bubble, our fate is in our hands. At SMS tonight, Oakland Tech Thursday at home, at Pinewood Saturday. Then the NCS Open.

If we go 2-1 or 3-0 against those three, and win one game in the NCS Open, we are NorCal Open.

If we go 1-2 or 0-3, then things change.

If we go 3-0, we might be the top seed in the NCS Open, and it would be very sweet to be the first-ever NCS Open champ. And seeding will matter, especially since we are the only Open team that is not a league champion or designated league champion (unlike Carondelet and SMS, we do not get that automatic designation). If we are seeded third, we will still travel in the first round because every other team is a league champ. If we are one or two, presumably those count as second-round games and the designated champion home game no longer applies.

Laguna Creek's fate has little to do with us ... my main objection is saying because they haven't won anything in the past, they shouldn't go Open. To my mind, competitive equity is only about the 2019-20 season, and not school history.

First, I agree that Laguna Creek very likely won't be in the Open. But, just for the sake of argument, if Laguna Creek were one of the top eight teams in Northern California, and they took eight, should Laguna Creek be in? If not, why not?

As for Miramonte, top two in NCS Open are locks, so if we get there, we're in. If three NCS teams go, presumably the higher seed that loses in the semis is the one; if four, all those in the semis.

Maybe the results of the NCS Open will determine how many NCS teams go to NorCal Open.

But if Miramonte is on the bubble, our fate is in our hands. At SMS tonight, Oakland Tech Thursday at home, at Pinewood Saturday. Then the NCS Open.

If we go 2-1 or 3-0 against those three, and win one game in the NCS Open, we are NorCal Open.

If we go 3-0, we might be the top seed in the NCS Open, and it would be very sweet to be the first-ever NCS Open champ. And seeding will matter, especially since we are the only Open team that is not a league champion or designated league champion (unlike Carondelet and SMS, we do not get that automatic designation). If we are seeded third, we will still travel in the first round because every other team is a league champ. If we are one or two, presumably those count as second-round games and the designated champion home game no longer applies.

Laguna Creek's fate has little to do with us ... my main objection is saying because they haven't won anything in the past, they shouldn't go Open. To my mind, competitive equity is only about the 2019-20 season, and not school history.

I think the big game for you guys is the Oakland Tech game. If you win and lost the other two, I think you will get in. If you lose and win one of the two you're in. 0-3, I agree..it puts you in a tough spot, but I still think you guys get in. One thing that they used to look at is your record in the last 6 games...Either way, It'll be no cakewalk. D1 is still very challenging and while you'd probably be a top 4 seed, I think it'll still be a touch road to Norcal.

I get why coaches when they use there (inside voice) would rather not go Open because they do not really feel like they can win it would rather go D1, D2. I know a lot of opinions on this board would not agree because they do not really get it.

As far as Laguna goes, I do believe a new up and coming program and Laguna is very much an up and coming program, should have a chance at a Division run. Especially a team like Laguna, one Jr. no Sr. they are going to be around for a while and can make an Open run the next couple of years.

Division I, in some ways, may be a little harder than the Open, even in NCS. In NCS, you'll have to play at least two games against teams that could beat you, and maybe three, as opposed to a maximum of two in the Open, with more time to prepare.

And in NorCals, I don't think there's that much difference between the top eight in D-1 and everyone but Mitty in the Open. Anyone who thinks NorCal D-1 will be an easy ride will discover they are sadly mistaken.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Division I, in some ways, may be a little harder than the Open, even in NCS. In NCS, you'll have to play at least two games against teams that could beat you, and maybe three, as opposed to a maximum of two in the Open, with more time to prepare.

And in NorCals, I don't think there's that much difference between the top eight in D-1 and everyone but Mitty in the Open. Anyone who thinks NorCal D-1 will be an easy ride will discover they are sadly mistaken.
Clay,
Your opinion: At the CIF State/NorCal playoff level, assuming Laguna Creek and Antelope are not in the Open division, do you think they will be placed at the D1 level, or left at D2 where they are at the Sac-Joaquin Section level?

Clay,
Your opinion: At the CIF State/NorCal playoff level, assuming Laguna Creek and Antelope are not in the Open division, do you think they will be placed at the D1 level, or left at D2 where they are at the Sac-Joaquin Section level?
it will be hard for them to avoid D1 especially if they play Antelope tough or even beat them.

Clay,
There is a zero % chance that either of these teams fall all the way down to D2 for Norcal playoffs. ZERO.

So the top 22 teams in Northern California will go Open or D1. It's hard to see how Laguna Creek and Antelope aren't in the top 15, much less the top 22.

D1 is going to be a war ... the Open will be too but Mitty looks like Alexander the Great.

So the top 22 teams in Northern California will go Open or D1. It's hard to see how Laguna Creek and Antelope aren't in the top 15, much less the top 22.

D1 is going to be a war ... the Open will be too but Mitty looks like Alexander the Great.

Is this the most separation Mitty has had from the rest of the field? Or have they had more in previous years?

Is this the most separation Mitty has had from the rest of the field? Or have they had more in previous years?

I think this is the most separation that any team has had in a long time. But the last two dominant teams (Mitty 2 years ago, and SMS when they were ranked 1 in the country) both got bounced in the semifinals of Norcal. Anything can happen!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT