ADVERTISEMENT

So WHO should Folsom schedule?

keepitreal.32

Superstar
Feb 12, 2004
No bashing intended. If Folsom is going to beat their SFL opponents by 3or 4 touchdowns who should their pre- league games all be? There’s a lot of second guessing of their schedule so I’m wondering what those of you with more knowledge than me anyway think. Keeping in mind travel expenses etc?

my thoughts:
*DLS - have to try and beat the big dog
*1 WCAL opponent - always being compared to SFL in quality
•Pittsburgh
*Fresno team
*Trinity League team not named MD nor JB

From what I saw last night Rocklin will be very tough defensively for Folsom. They are big, fast, nasty, and tackle incredibly well. I think Folsom will have a tougher time scoring than they are use too. Rocklin has given up 38 pts in. 7 games! Riding a 11 game winning streak. If rocklin can get a little more consistent on offense this will be a very good game.

Also, i believe Folsom struggles this year against Serra, Saint Francis, and Valley Christian. I could see them with 2 or 3 league losses if they played there.

one of those LA teams outside of the big boys ... but gotta tip my hat to them for scheduling de la salle and pittsburg thou ...

Reactions: concrete17
one of those LA teams outside of the big boys ... but gotta tip my hat to them for scheduling de la salle and pittsburg thou ...
I would love for Pitt to play Folsom again after a couple games. That was Pitt first game and Folsom had 2 under belt and you could see the difference. But overall that is a good matchup.

Am a big fan of scheduling a non league team that challenges you to extend your reach; bigger, faster, intelligently coached.
Be challenged and don't worry about the ✔️In the loss column, as long as it is non league.
I noticed a big difference last night 1) the way the team came out on the field and during warmups- had the look of "on a mission" 2) they were up to & off the line much quicker 3) play reactions and tackling sharper and quicker; they were schooled (and learned) last week by St Frances-MD
If you rewatch the St Francis-MV game the Lancers came out on the field disciplined, focused and seemingly with a purpose. The Spartans we're too relaxed and not necessarily on a mission, warming up Willy nilly in the end zone.
Big difference in play and attitude between the Lancers and the Bulldogs. In the Lancers game looked like they were tackling girls.....afraid to wrap up on their assignment and fearful of touching certain areas of the opposing players body. So glad game was scheduled later in the season.
More concerned that the Spartans were playing with a false sense of entitlement last year and early in this season. Now when I see the Boys and talk with them before the games they seem much more battle Spartans on a mission........like I've experienced in previous seasons (last 14 years).

Last edited:
Reactions: FBAddict
Pitts is a good choice for NorCal. For SoCal, Cin10 or Mission Viejo are publics that are pretty good from year to year.

Reactions: THEOC89
Being a public school, I think it is fair to say scheduling good public schools and skipping the privates unless there is something real attractive (like DLS) is appropriate. This year from norcal
Buchanan
Central
Pittsburg
De La Salle

From So-Cal
Centennial
Sierra Canyon
Norco
Los Alamitos
Edison

Folsom did schedule Pittsburg and they scheduled De La Salle. To say they didn't take on a decent schedule isn't fair. Saying you don't think they scheduled appropriately to prepare for DLS is tough. They are geographically the closest to Pittsburg and that makes sense. Hard to tell a public school they need to go off and play teams 300 miles away. Sierra Canyon is a past state champion and Centennial has won multiple though. I would think they would be attractive opponents.

Reactions: THEOC89 and Cal 14
I would love for Pitt to play Folsom again after a couple games. That was Pitt first game and Folsom had 2 under belt and you could see the difference. But overall that is a good matchup.
I was thinking the same thing

Being a public school, I think it is fair to say scheduling good public schools and skipping the privates unless there is something real attractive (like DLS) is appropriate. This year from norcal
Buchanan
Central
Pittsburg
De La Salle

From So-Cal
Centennial
Sierra Canyon
Norco
Los Alamitos
Edison

Folsom did schedule Pittsburg and they scheduled De La Salle. To say they didn't take on a decent schedule isn't fair. Saying you don't think they scheduled appropriately to prepare for DLS is tough. They are geographically the closest to Pittsburg and that makes sense. Hard to tell a public school they need to go off and play teams 300 miles away. Sierra Canyon is a past state champion and Centennial has won multiple though. I would think they would be attractive opponents.
Sierra Canyon is a private. But list is actually solid and Folsom definitely could compete and I’d say good shot of .500% against that type of schedule.

Id like to see a Pitt-Folsom rematch.When they played Folsom already had 2 games under their belt,and it was Pitts season opener.With both teams having played multiple games,a rematch would be a more accurate gauge of both teams

Reactions: larry legend33
Buchanan
Central
Pittsburg
De La Salle

From So-Cal
Centennial
Sierra Canyon
Norco
Los Alamitos
Edison
The game that everyone wants to see is against Centennial, but that may be a little more than they can handle (at least this year).

Mission Viejo, HB Edison, and Vista Murrieta are a teams that have shown a willingness to travel for games and would good matches for Folsom. Los Alamitos is supposed to be really good next year, but I don't think they have any history of traveling and Folsom really should try to secure a home-and-home.

They've played and beaten teams from the Central Section, but a Buchanan or Central wouldn't hurt.

I am curious to know why they haven't played any WCAL teams, though. Any many games there have been for each against DLS, you'd think they'd want to take on each other at some point.

No bashing intended. If Folsom is going to beat their SFL opponents by 3or 4 touchdowns who should their pre- league games all be? There’s a lot of second guessing of their schedule so I’m wondering what those of you with more knowledge than me anyway think. Keeping in mind travel expenses etc?

my thoughts:
*DLS - have to try and beat the big dog
*1 WCAL opponent - always being compared to SFL in quality
•Pittsburgh
*Fresno team
*Trinity League team not named MD nor JB
Would love to see Serra vs Folsom

1st.. Very good job fellas on this thread. Good read so far with an honest approach to addressing Folsom's inability to beat the Green Machine. And or what is potentially needed to get over the hump/mountain. Somewhat refreshing to actually see a Folsom post that doesn't include a lot of adults acting childish over highschool kids (on both side of the aisle).

2nd.. I agree with most on you on their scheduling more challenging opponents in preseason. Overall, I don't think they did a bad good this year. Monterey Trail has been a beast and tough out the past few years. I'm not sure I would have thought this would be a down year for them and the coaching staff. They put a lot of pressure on the line of scrimmage, as does Jesuit, so both of these games seem be a good fit to prepare for DLS offense. Even tho we know they are not and cannot duplicate the DLS precision and line play. Remember, even DLS scheduled them this year. Pitt was a good game and opponent to play. They look good all around this year. I wish the Serra game wasn't cancelled.

3rd.. I think the Folsom D did a pretty good in the second quarter and second half on the DLS ground and pound game. The Folsom offense is where the concerns are for me. The spread offense is good and they run it so well. But outside of Cent, Bishop Gorman, MD, and SJB, who run a similar offense, they have the offensive lineman to maintain blocks and run the ball from shotgun, where as Folsom doesn't dominate in this area. Folsom has good skill players and QB play. I'd like to see them run a power style offense when they play the Green Machine. Put immediate pressure on the line of scrimmage to make the DLS D commit more to the run. Give your great skill players and QB some passing lanes to work with on drop back and play action plays. Easier said than done with the DLS great D-line play. But as of now, if they can drop 8 in coverage and only rush 3 with pressure, that seem like a losing combination or uphill battle when you attempt to throw the ball with 5 receivers against 8 defenders in the secondary. If we look at some of the recent teams that beat DLS that I have personally watched. East, Trinity,, St Francis, etc. They were physical in the trenches and took the fight to the Green Machine. Nothing fancy or pretty, just smash mouth football with a few sprinkles from the passing game.

Just my three cents. Again good read so far fellas. thx

1. Serra
2. Centennial
3. Fresno-Central
4. Miami-Central

they have no business playing De La Salle
I think they do have business playing DLS. They are year in and year out the best team in their section. This whole thread is about them not scheduling hard enough and people have been saying that for years. This year They scheduled the #1 and #2 NCS teams. Last couple years I remember them playing Central in Fresno. That was a strong opponent.
This year they had Monterey Trail, who DLS also scheduled and is local. And Jesuit, who is local, and has a good team this year. I haven't looked, but I'd bet their scheduling strength this year is second to only DLS, in Nor-Cal.

Los Alamitos is supposed to be really good next year, but I don't think they have any history of traveling and Folsom really should try to secure a home-and-home.
This would Definitely Be a Great Matchup!…. I remember someon on The National Board Stating That Los Al had Contacted Both DLS and BG for Games…

I would assume Los Al would be Traveling to those game so Maybe There would be some willingness to Travel To Folsom for a Game….

Reactions: sammyswordsman
This would Definitely Be a Great Matchup!…. I remember someon on The National Board Stating That Los Al had Contacted Both DLS and BG for Games…

I would assume Los Al would be Traveling to those game so Maybe There would be some willingness to Travel To Folsom for a Game….
No sense scheduling this one since @Cal 14 in true Folsom fashion already told us what the outcome would be.

Cal 14 replied to Cal 14's topic in Varsity Forum
I’ll revise my statement from “I do think Folsom would beat Los Al” to “I think Folsom would crush Los Al”,

• Haha
I agree that they should keep DLS on the schedule. Folsom is very good. DLS is at the next level up so they should play teams at that level and beat them to join them. DLS is the smart choice since it is easier than traveling to SoCal or to play Bishop Gorman.
So what I want to know really is what schools are that the same level as Folsom they can’t be a 1 team level. Yet they have so many blowout wins and not close wins.
I like the idea of 1 team they might beat in a close one 1 might lose in a close one. Like ARARAR suggests.

I think they do have business playing DLS. They are year in and year out the best team in their section. This whole thread is about them not scheduling hard enough and people have been saying that for years. This year They scheduled the #1 and #2 NCS teams. Last couple years I remember them playing Central in Fresno. That was a strong opponent.
This year they had Monterey Trail, who DLS also scheduled and is local. And Jesuit, who is local, and has a good team this year. I haven't looked, but I'd bet their scheduling strength this year is second to only DLS, in Nor-Cal.
I agree with this, Folsom has 3 Lower Level State titles in the last 10 years and like 7 or 8 Section Titles and hasn’t lost a league game in forever…. They are an outstanding lower level team who should schedule up a couple of games in their Non League….

They have business Playing DLS and should play DLS Just Like ST Mary’s and Modesto CC have always been willing to play DLS and have even played MD and SJB….

Playing DLS is ok, but we've seen enough of that matchup for now. Centennial, Serra, Servite,Pittsburg. Folsom needs to step up the schedule just to become accustomed to playing high level, high pressure games. At least when they have a team like 2018 talent wise. Then, when they play DLS there wouldn't be the shell shock that I saw last night. They are far too worried about getting beat decisively than learning from the experience.That's how you raise the level of your program, win or lose

1. Serra
2. Centennial
3. Fresno-Central
4. Miami-Central

they have no business playing De La Salle
Then, who does have business playing De La Salle? St. Mary's? Serra? Should DLS just avoid scheduling NorCal teams altogether if the team that's generally been #2 in the region for the last several years has "no business playing" them? Just rack up a million dollar travel bill because no one local is worthy?

Jeez... hyperbole really is the best thing ever.

Here are some NorCal Teams that come to mind
DLS
Serra or St. Francis
Pitt
St. Marys-Stockton
Menlo-Atherton
Clayton Valley Charter
Monte Vista or San Ramon Valley

Appears that physical and smashmouth football teams (I.e. DLS, Bellarmine from past) give the Bulldogs a tough time.

Here are some NorCal Teams that come to mind
DLS
Serra or St. Francis
Pitt
St. Marys-Stockton
Menlo-Atherton
Clayton Valley Charter
Monte Vista or San Ramon Valley

Appears that physical and smashmouth football teams (I.e. DLS, Bellarmine from past) give the Bulldogs a tough time.
Folsom and CVC played in 2015 and Folsom won by 1 point….

It was supposed to be a Home and Home but Folsom Backed out of The Second Game that was at CVC for some reason…. Imagine That…. 🤣

Jeez... hyperbole really is the best thing ever.

Im not sure.

But this thread isn’t about De La Salle and who is in the position challenging them. To be quite honest, If Evergreen Valley, South San Francisco, Richmond High and Vallejo High feel they’re ready for the Spartans, I support them in making the phone call.

This conversation is about Folsom and who they should schedule. And I’ll say it again, they have no business playing De La Salle.

Whether scheduled or luck of the draw, Folsom has never been a threat to knock the Spartans off. Sure, they’re a threat on paper year in and year out but when it comes to the actual practice product on the field they’ve never been competitive with the exception of one, low scoring, game. They need to stop wasting De La Salle’s time, try their luck with some other area powers and maybe build up to De La Salle from there. Teams like Centennial-Corona, maybe Bellevue, St. Louis from Hawai’i, Liberty-Las Vegas, Hamilton, Corner Canyon and so on. Not De La Salle. We know how that goes and we don’t want to watch it anymore.

Last edited:
I’ll say this last bit…as a tax payer in this great, Democratic State…I do not want to see another public dollar wasted on Folsom’s ambitions on beating De La Salle! They’ve had their chances and blew them.

EVERY. LAST. ONE.

Either De La Salle begins treating them like a Power 5 school hosting an FCS program for a nice little check or Folsom starts footing the bill…and when I say that I mean from the water (it’s expensive right now) to the power and even the hot dogs they buy to flip for a small athletic fund profit. Zero!

Teams like Centennial-Corona, maybe Bellevue, St. Louis from Hawai’i, Liberty-Las Vegas, Hamilton, Corner Canyon and so on. Not De La Salle. We know how that goes and we don’t want to watch it anymore.
I am in agreement with your comment that we have seen enough of DLS vs Folsom…. In 5 games Folsom is 0-5 and DLS has Outscored Folsom 186-63 or an average of 36-13….

The Truth is, I would rather see DLS drop Folsom and add Serra or some of the other teams you are talking about…

The Great thing for DLS is they are a National Brand and attractive to ESPN so they get pleanty if opportunities from teams all over the country and seem to get a National TV game every year….

Once Folsom Proves Themselves by Beating a Cen10, MV, BG or top AZ or UT team then DLS should put Folsom back on The Schedule…..

Until then, DLS should play more high profile OOS or Region games…. That would be better for the program then playing non competitive games against a lower level team like Folsom….

Im not sure.

But this thread isn’t about De La Salle and who is in the position challenging them. To be quite honest, If Evergreen Valley, South San Francisco, Richmond High and Vallejo High feel they’re ready for the Spartans, I support them in making the phone call.

This conversation is about Folsom and who they should schedule. And I’ll say it again, they have no business playing De La Salle.

Whether scheduled or luck of the draw, Folsom has never been a threat to knock the Spartans off. Sure, they’re a threat on paper year in and year out but when it comes to the actual practice product on the field they’ve never been competitive with the exception of one, low scoring, game. They need to stop wasting De La Salle’s time, try their luck with some other area powers and maybe build up to De La Salle from there. Teams like Centennial-Corona, maybe Bellevue, St. Louis from Hawai’i, Liberty-Las Vegas, Hamilton, Corner Canyon and so on. Not De La Salle. We know how that goes and we don’t want to watch it anymore.
St Louis Hawaii, good call. Personally I think any team that wants to knock off De La Salle has to take on some major opponents. And consistently. Not one time because the roster may be the best ever, consistency pays. In basketball DLS has played Oak Hill Academy, they have been in Torrey Pines, Ilonai Hawaii Classic, Les Schwab. They don’t care. And football has not cared. They have loaded non league schedules up. Moving forward Patsy said their is a new sheriff in town. Well in order to do that, the sheriff needs to play some serious competiton consistently. Folsom should go down to Texas. Play some of the squads in SO Cal. Hell due to demographic changes and families moving further out year after year, it may benefit the program. Parents may say hey these guys go to out of state, host out of state teams, play So Cal. In the long run it could pay off. But until a team does such, the sheriff will always be De La. The reputation of the program as a whole in all sports carries a lot of weight especially when good talent is looking for a place to attend high school.

Im not sure.

I believe two years ago when St. Francis played De La Salle, they almost started a running clock at the half. So I'm ok saying that Folsom is one of the few teams in NorCal who are at a level to play De La Salle. What they haven't earned is to talk smack about said matchup (though that is more one poster than the team I would assume).

Schedule one tough game that you should win
Schedule one tough game that you’re not sure if you’ll win
Schedule one tough game that you don’t think you can win

My biggest gripe with Folsom over the decade is that they never did #2 or #3 until finally scheduling DLS. And IMO the only reason they finally did that was because it’s a win-win game for them (everyone in NorCal loses to DLS so no big deal if they lose too and if they win???) and because they can’t ever qualify for Open w/o facing them and can’t face them in the postseason due to the lack of Regional Open.

But aside from DLS, they still don’t schedule teams clearly better than themselves. Del Oro and Granite Bay both scheduled bonafide PAC-5 programs from the SS when they expected to be good and even when they didn’t. Meanwhile Folsom schedules San Diego Section teams and Coeur d'Alene.

Forget Centennial-Corona, who they aren’t ready for, how about one of the top programs from Washington, Arizona or Las Vegas?

Was also thinking…

since Folsom isn’t ready for any Trinity League Schools, why not try to schedule a WCAC School?

While the game ended up being dropped, Stellar Prep of Hayward actually had St. John’s of Washington DC on their schedule.

Was also thinking…

since Folsom isn’t ready for any Trinity League Schools, why not try to schedule a WCAC School?

While the game ended up being dropped, Stellar Prep of Hayward actually had St. John’s of Washington DC on their schedule.
They have reached out to Servite multiple times with no call back. Still waiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT