ADVERTISEMENT

Sonoma State coach retires

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Pat Fuscaldo, head coach at Sonoma State for the last 26 years, announced his retirement late last week.

Pat Fuscaldo, head coach at Sonoma State for the last 26 years, announced his retirement late last week.

coach Pat recruited me when he first at SSU. Real character. Only wished he would have gotten more local kids but a neat person and good all around guy. Good run for the “Cossacks”

Who is the is the favorite for job?

Good ?. They had a rough spell last few years so I think they look outside the camp is my guess. But overall Pat had some really good teams and quality players during his 26 years and was a genuinely great guy filled with tons of passion.

Reactions: superle
Rich Shayewitz was in the program for a long time before becoming the head coach of the women's program.

They are in a high level D2 league, which makes the job harder.

coach Pat recruited me when he first at SSU. Real character. Only wished he would have gotten more local kids but a neat person and good all around guy. Good run for the “Cossacks”

yep...he didn't like to recruit locally for whatever reason. There is the local legend story about Coach Fitchie at Montgomery telling Fuscaldo to "get the f*** out of my office" after Fuscaldo told him that Zac Tiedeman wasn't good enough to play for him. Tiedeman went on to play at Humboldt state and win b2b conference MVP's and beat SSU 7 out of 8 games he played against them.

And tiedeman was at D1 Santa Clara on scholarship prior to that after being recruited by the legendary Dick Davey. Santa Clara went to hell next year with jackass Kerry Keating taking over and tiedeman bounced to Humboldt. I know a few who say tiedeman is one of best guards to ever play in that conference.

For whatever reason coach Fusculdo didn’t get over the fact that a few of the local kids year In and out have some game. Coach Mcmillian at SRJC has done the opposite and built a state power.

Great story. I can picture Fitch doing that.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I think Jay Flores would be an interesting hire as head coach. He’s an assistant at Montana. Played at Jesuit and Sonoma State before transferring to Chico State, so he would know the landscape well.

Jay Flores would be a great hire but i
Don't see him leaving a D1 job to come
Back and coach a lower tier D2 school
Plus him and Chris Cobb are extremely tight
And chris will soon be a D1 head coach with Jay Becoming his main assistant.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
In my opinion they have Craig McMillian
Right there him and his staff should be there
First interview.
That would be an outstanding move. Craig is very happy at SRJC so it would be interesting to see what it would take to move him...

Reactions: bella123
I’m hearing Coach Madec from Fresno City is interested...would be a great pick if they want to actually win.

I’m hearing Coach Madec from Fresno City is interested...would be a great pick if they want to actually win.

Ed the “animal”. Great guy and ex SSU great.
That would be great. But sadly I’m not sure how these schools even have sports next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT