ADVERTISEMENT

St. Mary's Stockton MLK Showcase Schedule?

cptmycpa

Sports Fanatic
Jan 19, 2016
Can anyone post the St. Mary's Stockton MLK Showcase schedule?
Based on MaxPreps team schedules, I see the following so far:

Saturday, 1/14
Cardinal Newman vs. Antelope 7:30 pm
Bonita Vista, 11-7 (Chula Vista) vs. Vanden Time TBD
Folsom vs. TBD
St. Mary's vs. TBD

Monday, 1/16
Clovis West vs. Monterey Trail (Sacramento) 12 noon
St. Mary's vs. Centennial (Las Vegas, NV--not Corona) 3:30 pm
Cardinal Newman vs. McClatchy 6:30 pm
Folsom vs. TBD

Most of the Bay Area powers are playing in the Bishop O'Dowd MLK Classic.
St. Francis, 12-3 (Sacramento) vs. Christian Brothers, 14-0 (Sacramento) play Saturday, 1/14 in Holy Hoops

Can anyone post the St. Mary's Stockton MLK Showcase schedule?
Based on MaxPreps team schedules, I see the following so far:

Saturday, 1/14
Cardinal Newman vs. Antelope 7:30 pm
Bonita Vista, 11-7 (Chula Vista) vs. Vanden Time TBD
Folsom vs. TBD
St. Mary's vs. TBD

Monday, 1/16
Clovis West vs. Monterey Trail (Sacramento) 12 noon
St. Mary's vs. Centennial (Las Vegas, NV--not Corona) 3:30 pm
Cardinal Newman vs. McClatchy 6:30 pm
Folsom vs. TBD

Most of the Bay Area powers are playing in the Bishop O'Dowd MLK Classic.
St. Francis, 12-3 (Sacramento) vs. Christian Brothers, 14-0 (Sacramento) play Saturday, 1/14 in Holy Hoops
CW vs Monterey Trail is a real head scratcher. Why not CW vs Cent Bulldogs, or at least someone more respectable? And no disrespect to MT, but that's a blowout.

Remember when Tom G. said that this event was his and that it wouldn't be happening at SMS? What ever happened to him? did he end up somewhere? I loved watching his teams play. They played hard and never figured out why they just always stay in a zone. Can't argue with his success though!

Tom could only coach with great handpicked talent… he was mediocre
At best…. HS USA coach of the year… what a joke… Corey and Donovan would eat his lunch

Schedule link below. Must mouse click on schedule image "AFTER" you land on the Twitter page, and it will show you each day's team/game schedule on three pages by clicking on the arrows.

Same with Sue… you think she could do half of what she has done with mediocre
Or less than mediocre talent… she would be a nobody

ANY coach isn't as good as he/she could be without talent. Sue is a VERY good coach. Personally, I think Doc is the best coach in Norcal hands down. what he gets out of what he has is incredible. She is better than a lot of the "upper level" coaches.

ANY coach isn't as good as he/she could be without talent. Sue is a VERY good coach. Personally, I think Doc is the best coach in Norcal hands down. what he gets out of what he has is incredible. She is better than a lot of the "upper level" coaches.
I agree, both are outstanding coaches. Yes they have had talent, Coach Sue more so. It takes skill to manage talent and to put kids in the best position to succeed.

Being in the business of hating on winners has never ended well where I come from.

Not many coaches especially in NorCal are on the level of Sue and Doc. There are a few but not very many from what I observe. A lot of these coaches are living off the talent alone.

Last edited:
Not that you'll seriously consider this, but think about the players who have come through the program. Not Jones, Cheli or Robinson, but players like Hiraki, Scharpf, Baratou, Hernandez, Woods, Bourland, Johnston, Lustg, Scott, etc. None of these players were considered elite coming into Mitty; in fact all played Frosh or JV at least two years. Some were primarily soccer players, yet all progressed into college level players. I would consider developing players to be an indicator of a great coach. Anyone that just looks at game results without seeing the development that happens in practice doesn't really understand what goes into making a great coach. Your game results analysis just exposes you to being an armchair quarterback that doesn't really understand the game nor coaching.

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Another reason Sue Phillips is NOT a "bad coach", as some seem to think here, is the fact she has coached with Team USA for quite awhile now, a group that has been #1 worldwide for a loooonnnngggggg time now.

I don't think Team USA, with the power to choose from just about any coach anywhere in the country, would choose anything but an elite-level coach.

Another reason Sue Phillips is NOT a "bad coach", as some seem to think here, is the fact she has coached with Team USA for quite awhile now, a group that has been #1 worldwide for a loooonnnngggggg time now.

I don't think Team USA, with the power to choose from just about any coach anywhere in the country, would choose anything but an elite-level coach.
The fact we are even debating this does not make a whole heck of a lot of sense. Coach Sue has a multi-decade track record of success and winning.

you'd be surprised at how many inept coaches that USNT hires, on both sides and over many different sports. That said, Sue is a GREAT coach and as another poster mentioned, she has developed low/middle level players and did something with them. I've always been impressed with how she runs her team. I do agree with another poster in saying that Doc Scheppler is hands down one of the best coaches in Norcal. I've seen his practices/training sessions and they're some of the best workouts and teaching sessions I've ever seen...and he know it! haha

i aint stickin up for him/her but him/her never said she wasnt successful, they said she is successful because she has the best players.
i know a certain coach in the bay area who also is such. great with the best, mid when they are not around

Both teams at full health? Wow
It was a great display of basketball on CN's part. Poor Antelope didn't make any adjustments and CN hit a bunch of 3's from downtown. When they tried to switch to a man to man, it seemed like they never played man before (they always run that silly 2-3 zone, which is a travesty given all the talent they have). No help, got backdoor cut a lot. Monica is another coach that doesn't get a lot of credit. She's a darn good coach!

It was a great display of basketball on CN's part. Poor Antelope didn't make any adjustments and CN hit a bunch of 3's from downtown. When they tried to switch to a man to man, it seemed like they never played man before (they always run that silly 2-3 zone, which is a travesty given all the talent they have). No help, got backdoor cut a lot. Monica is another coach that doesn't get a lot of credit. She's a darn good coach!
Big time win by a great coaching staff. Read that Kate S had 9 3’s for newman. That’s impressive. She damn near outscored newman boys.

you'd be surprised at how many inept coaches that USNT hires, on both sides and over many different sports. That said, Sue is a GREAT coach and as another poster mentioned, she has developed low/middle level players and did something with them. I've always been impressed with how she runs her team. I do agree with another poster in saying that Doc Scheppler is hands down one of the best coaches in Norcal. I've seen his practices/training sessions and they're some of the best workouts and teaching sessions I've ever seen...and he know it! haha
I never said inept… I said average… with a great feeder(recruiting) scheme that delivers talent year after year… but you
Have crossed the rubicon… who are the inept USNT coaches and how does that happen… And trust me I know first hand how bad apples can end up at great organizations… I did it multiple times in high tech😊

Evie and family were informed on Thursday she has a torn ACL and MCL which occurred during our game vs Del Oro, I think adults should show some empathy and compassion and leave her name off social media post. The family is going through a lot to maneuver through this very unfortunate injury. She is not 17, that is ridiculous. Antelope Crossing middle school has 6th-8th grades, Do the math.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I'm sorry to hear that...and no one would wish that upon any kid. Hope she recovers soon.

That said, there's no 6th grade team at Antelope Crossing and 6th kids are not allowed to "play up" in the league. Maybe they broke the rules, who knows?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT