ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on 8th graders being held back for Sports

Here's my sad tale of academic woe. Started my son at 5 like everyone else. Wasn't ready. 1st semester of every year was awful, 2nd he was mature enough to get through. But the damage was done, to his grades and his take on school. Each year gets harder and harder. So by the time we get to 8th grade he's walking in already pretty much checked out, he knows what is going to happen. The high achieving elementary school he was at had him tested at the end of 2nd grade. Seemed he liked sports and recess better than school work which didn't work with the teachers and admins. The counselor did the tests, came back to the meeting and said this kid is fine, why am I testing him.

We should have held him back because of his maturity. But when the kid is already bigger than the other kids and has friends it's hard. He started 3 games his senior year at age 16. He was the QB and did very well. Later punted for a DII national champion. Holding back for athletics was never part of the discussion. Holding back for maturity and academics was, but he was never bad enough to fail a grade. D's/F's 1st semester, B's,C's 2nd, so on average he was a marginal C student. That crumpled when he got to HS. He barely made it through.

Gets to the JC and it's better because he has more control of the classes, but still same pattern, bad 1st semester, decent 2nd. He got into a DII by the skin of his teeth, on probation, got good, played for them, got a ring, and is finishing up now, wants to be a teacher of all things.

Holding back strictly for athletics? Why not, boundaries don't mean much anymore. To me it says a lot about the parents and administration that would do that, and it makes one question the purpose of their school.

I've heard stories for a long, long time about kids being held back for sports. If my son had been held back he would have been more mature, grades would likely have been better, he would have been 17 turning 18 his senior year of football. Things may have been different. That's the biggest regret I have, not starting him later or holding him back.

This practice is very prevalent on the boys basketball front and for the elite players they typically are held back earlier than 8th grade from what I've seen. Also a relatively common practice that I've seen when more athletically motivated kids transfer to prep schools they'll repeat their previous year grade level. Lots of 19 year old seniors playing high school sports especially on the basketball front - don't know how prevalent that is for football but imagine it isn't much different.

Here's my sad tale of academic woe. Started my son at 5 like everyone else. Wasn't ready. 1st semester of every year was awful, 2nd he was mature enough to get through. But the damage was done, to his grades and his take on school. Each year gets harder and harder. So by the time we get to 8th grade he's walking in already pretty much checked out, he knows what is going to happen. The high achieving elementary school he was at had him tested at the end of 2nd grade. Seemed he liked sports and recess better than school work which didn't work with the teachers and admins. The counselor did the tests, came back to the meeting and said this kid is fine, why am I testing him.

We should have held him back because of his maturity. But when the kid is already bigger than the other kids and has friends it's hard. He started 3 games his senior year at age 16. He was the QB and did very well. Later punted for a DII national champion. Holding back for athletics was never part of the discussion. Holding back for maturity and academics was, but he was never bad enough to fail a grade. D's/F's 1st semester, B's,C's 2nd, so on average he was a marginal C student. That crumpled when he got to HS. He barely made it through.

Gets to the JC and it's better because he has more control of the classes, but still same pattern, bad 1st semester, decent 2nd. He got into a DII by the skin of his teeth, on probation, got good, played for them, got a ring, and is finishing up now, wants to be a teacher of all things.

Holding back strictly for athletics? Why not, boundaries don't mean much anymore. To me it says a lot about the parents and administration that would do that, and it makes one question the purpose of their school.

I've heard stories for a long, long time about kids being held back for sports. If my son had been held back he would have been more mature, grades would likely have been better, he would have been 17 turning 18 his senior year of football. Things may have been different. That's the biggest regret I have, not starting him later or holding him back.
Enrollment of your child for maturity issues is different than athletic. My nephew was started a year later. His birthday being in September. He would have been 4 starting kindergarten. It worked well for him. Was enrolled in Spanish learning. From kindergarten through 8th grade.. Graduated with 4.4 GPA. As a parent you do what's best for your child. My son started school at 4 but it worked for him. And like his father would rather not be stuck in the house with his mom!

Known more than a handful who were intentionally held back in 8th grade to gain an athletic edge, yet none ever went onto play in college. Never known anyone intentionally held back in 8th grade to gain an academic edge. Maybe their parents were not focusing on the most important thing, an education?

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Known more than a handful who were intentionally held back in 8th grade to gain an athletic edge, yet none ever went onto play in college. Never known anyone intentionally held back in 8th grade to gain an academic edge. Maybe their parents were not focusing on the most important thing, an education?
I’m sure there are valid cases, but 8 of them on one 8th grade Football team is ludicrous.

Reactions: Kickingtee18

No offense, but you did say yourself that it was obvious in kindergarten. And THAT is my point, it does NOT take 9 years to figure out a child may be better off repeating a grade.

speedcity, "Kids don’t perform at grade level for the 8 years of K-7 and then suddenly fall so far behind in the eighth grade that they need to be held back."
marcskit, "I won't put you on the spot as an administrator, but the school guidance counselor, and teachers input, should have pinpointed critical issues"

I encourage you guys to re-read my post. I do not make these claims in the example i provided on reading comprehension? In my example i stated Johnny has the demonstrated the ability to read and comprehend a passage but only does so 5 out 10 trails. this would indicate johhny has the displayed the ability to move on if the parent chooses or the parents can hold johhny back to give him more time to fine tune this skill set.

Sacchiefs, you do realize, I did say the guidance counselor and teachers " Should have pinpointed critical issues. I just didn't underline it :)

Here's wishing you great football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT