ADVERTISEMENT

Title 9 in HS

Eastbayhoops

Superstar
Jan 13, 2020
Does Title 9 require High Schools to offer equal opportunity for both genders, or can a school decide to have teams for just 1 gender?

Title IX is a complex piece of legislation. Its requirements can be met in three different ways at the college level, as I understand it, but I have no idea how those prongs, as they're called, can be met in high school.

That said, high school is much different than college, and as there is no financial motivation to favor boys over girls, there's really no justification for having just a boys' team.

Title IX is a complex piece of legislation. Its requirements can be met in three different ways at the college level, as I understand it, but I have no idea how those prongs, as they're called, can be met in high school.

That said, high school is much different than college, and as there is no financial motivation to favor boys over girls, there's really no justification for having just a boys' team.
I'm thinking of a private school with no girls sports whatsoever, as far as I can tell from Maxpreps. Know Maxpreps is not always accurate so I dont want to name the school.

Off the top of my head, that would be a Title IX violation, but if the school receives no federal funds, then it wouldn't matter.

The school's website should list its offerings.

I think i know the school and it’s a big time player. Cif has rules that schools are full members or associate schools. To be a full member and playoff eligible you need a boys and girls sport in all 3 season. If not you can be an associate member play games and no playoffs. The Cif Sjs seems to just ignore their own bylaws

I don't think it'd be De La Salle... The girls' sports are listed under its sister school, Carondelet. Much like Riordan had its sister school and their sports before they merged.

Maybe the above poster is referring to Jesuit? That's a boys-only school, so I doubt Title IX could apply in any way...

No it's a co
Maybe the above poster is referring to Jesuit? That's a boys-only school, so I doubt Title IX could apply in any way...
Nope it's a coed school. SJS section. Lists girls teams on it's website, but no rosters, results, schedules on Max Preps. And their boys basketball team is VERY high profile

No it's a co
Nope it's a coed school. SJS section. Lists girls teams on it's website, but no rosters, results, schedules on Max Preps. And their boys basketball team is VERY high profile
there was not enough girls interested in playing to field a competitive team. i the girls coach is also the AD i think. so i imagine he would want a team.

If they have some girls' sports , they're fine. I thought the school had no girls' teams at all.

According to MaxPreps, they used to have girls' hoop, sometimes they were pretty good. I saw them play once, a few years ago at maybe the Gary Porter Showcase.

The reporting to MaxPreps for sports other than boys' hoop seems to have completely died during the Covid mess. The school is tiny, with 301 enrolled in K thru 12, and their own website is poorly updated, only a little less poorly for boys' basketball.

They're probably pretty strapped financially, but if they really don't have any girls teams, they could find themselves in some hot water.... I suppose...

According to MaxPreps, they used to have girls' hoop, sometimes they were pretty good. I saw them play once, a few years ago at maybe the Gary Porter Showcase.

The reporting to MaxPreps for sports other than boys' hoop seems to have completely died during the Covid mess. The school is tiny, with 301 enrolled in K thru 12, and their own website is poorly updated, only a little less poorly for boys' basketball.

They're probably pretty strapped financially, but if they really don't have any girls teams, they could find themselves in some hot water.... I suppose...
they were really good for a few years maybe 10-12 years ago. coach rob had the city on lock for local talent and even had girls driving from stockton and merced to play there. the well dried up recently, but with a city the size of modesto and 8 schools.. just takes some rebranding and they should be able to play again

they were really good for a few years maybe 10-12 years ago. coach rob had the city on lock for local talent and even had girls driving from stockton and merced to play there. the well dried up recently, but with a city the size of modesto and 8 schools.. just takes some rebranding and they should be able to play again
Coach Rob Spencer won a state title with Modesto Christian in 2014. He also runs the AAU team Modesto Magic. It's a shame to see the program decline to where it is now.

Reactions: observer22
If they have some girls' sports , they're fine. I thought the school had no girls' teams at all.
Just having some girls sports doesn’t make it fine . CIF bylaws state you need a boys and girls team in all 3 seasons to be a full member playoff eligible school. So even if they had girls hoops they would still be an associate school . They need a girls sport to coincide with football and baseball. They last had a softball team in 2019-20 and went 0-4 by total of 89-2 .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT