ADVERTISEMENT

USF vs ZAGS

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
What a great game last night on ESPN2 up on the hilltop. The Dons are back baby! Some of us have waited a long time.... Lots of my family have made there way in and out of that campus.

In the end Zags too much NBA size but USF was tied at halftime and late in the 2nd. I said it earlier in the year and got laughed at... WCC is better conference top to bottom than Pac12 this year. They are 10-7 right now against the "conference of champions". I think this USF team could win the Pac12. They have great guards, good bigs, and a few solid wings. Maybe the WCC can get 2 teams in this year? Zags when fully healed are a final 4 team in my opinion.

Anybody know why the kid from Oakland transferred last year? Think he went to utep. Souley Brom (sp)? Seems odd you would be transferring out of a program on the rise...

Like what I see. Hope coach stays around long enough to set up program for long-term success. Unfortunately, still think USF has to minimize their league losses and make it to WCC championship game to sniff a NCAA tournament bid.

Like what I see. Hope coach stays around long enough to set up program for long-term success. Unfortunately, still think USF has to minimize their league losses and make it to WCC championship game to sniff a NCAA tournament bid.
Theyll need to win their tourney IMO. Get those byes early in that WCC format and go from there. Theyve been under the radar all year, including close loss to Buffalo who was/is ranked at Belfast. Agreed, nice to see the Hilltop, hopefully on its way back to prominence. Eager to see the finished project once the Gym is done.

I'll say this about the USF coach. He's def. trying to recruit more from the Bay Area and locally, which I think is great. I've seen him at high school games at least 3-4 times last year, including a couple of CIF games at Kezar.

Gonzaga is in a league of their own. They are like a well oiled Machine. Have been since I can remember, even back in the days of Dan Dickau, Blake Steppe, and who can forget Adam Morrison!

What might hurt USF is not playing that game against ASU that got cancelled. If USF had that win on their resume I would say they would be stone cold locks to make the NCAA Tournament. My opinion is they can't lose more than 4 league games, and have to make the WCC Championship in order to guarantee a play in game or at large bid in the 11-13 range.

And I just want to say this to maybe spark some debate.

While I love Duke's Zion Williamson, I'd take Rui Hachimura over Zion every single day of the week and twice on Tuesdays.

Hachimura is the closest thing to a Giannis I've seen since the young Greek man hit the scene with the Bucks!

Couldn't agree more about the ASU game. That would have been a huge potential "win". Not having that game is going to hurt them. Glad to hear about local recruiting. Ratinho has had a really good career. Always thought he was a good player coming out of DLS. Great size at the 2. And is there a kid that you would rather see win than Ferrari. What a story. Hachimura might have more upside than anybody. His footwork and midrange game are off the hook. And how long has he been playing basketball? i thought I read it was like only 5-6 years. No AAU or anything. Kid is a stud. Zion is a freak who is developing into a great player. I think both will be very good pro's.

That ZAGS team is talented enough to beat anybody in the country this year. (Mich, Tenn (3 pt loss) (already beat Duke), etc.

And don't forget: The guy who set the foundation for what the Zags have become was the late Dan Fitzgerald, a St. Ignatius guy who went to Santa Clara, coached there and at Mitty and wound up in Spokane assisting Adrian Buocristiani, another SI guy. Big Dan took over the then Big Sky program, developed it, brought in great assistants and took over as A.D. Mark Few is just the latest in the line of coaches hired by Fitzgerald, who died way too early a decade ago. He had drive, vision, smarts and a huge personality that fit his physical size. The Zags we see today are a reflection of Big Dan. What a character.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
And don't forget: The guy who set the foundation for what the Zags have become was the late Dan Fitzgerald, a St. Ignatius guy who went to Santa Clara, coached there and at Mitty and wound up in Spokane assisting Adrian Buocristiani, another SI guy. Big Dan took over the then Big Sky program, developed it, brought in great assistants and took over as A.D. Mark Few is just the latest in the line of coaches hired by Fitzgerald, who died way too early a decade ago. He had drive, vision, smarts and a huge personality that fit his physical size. The Zags we see today are a reflection of Big Dan. What a character.

Great history there. Thanks for bringing that up.

I am going to say if usf can get to the conference final game they will get into the tournament
Especially when you consider the many 1 bid leagues who have upsets in there conference
tournaments. I believe usf"s RPI will good enough to get into the dance. Kyle Smith
and his staff have done a great job turning around that program from the mess that
Rex Walters had left them with.

One can only hope that USF can retain Smith's services after the season is over. Someone from the Pac-12 may come calling.
Hopefully he turns them down like his mentor Randy Bennett has. Maybe wishful thinking hoping he stays a few more years for the completion of the renovation and a couple recruiting classes, if he does leave.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Had a great time at War Memorial last night despite the loss. USF sold a whole lot of beer.

Frankie played a helluva game, but the inability to defend the perimeter ultimately cost the Dons. Also, no answer for Hachimura. Fine player.

Smith signed an exstension before the season started he is not going anywhere soon.

The last few years it has been very hard for mid-majors to break in if they do not win their conference. However, the Pac 12 and Big East are both down this year, so perhaps there are more spots available.

Reactions: CityVibesII
There is no way in hell he would leave for Cal! It’s a place where coach’s go to fall off the map! I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped the program in the next ten years! They put no effort into putting a winning product on the court!
Smith is fine where he is! One of the more storied programs in college basketball. Not to mention an administration that is funneling him cash for program and also their full support!
He is and will bring the Don’s back to relevancy and the dance!
I think they lose at Gonzaga, then best them in the finals. Very hard to beat a team three times in a season.

Also, they got absolutely jobbed by the refs down the stretch. Jimbo gets two hand pushed in the back from 2’, misses shot. Zags get a fast break 3 from that.
Then a Zags player steps two feet past out of bounds line and saves ball, ref was right there, they come down and score again. Theses two calls resulted in 8-10 pt swing at the end of game.
These were two of the more egregious missed calls I have seen in a while. And they are at home not getting these calls. The brown haired ref should never be allowed to ref DI again

What a great game last night on ESPN2 up on the hilltop. The Dons are back baby! Some of us have waited a long time.... Lots of my family have made there way in and out of that campus.

In the end Zags too much NBA size but USF was tied at halftime and late in the 2nd. I said it earlier in the year and got laughed at... WCC is better conference top to bottom than Pac12 this year. They are 10-7 right now against the "conference of champions". I think this USF team could win the Pac12. They have great guards, good bigs, and a few solid wings. Maybe the WCC can get 2 teams in this year? Zags when fully healed are a final 4 team in my opinion.

Anybody know why the kid from Oakland transferred last year? Think he went to utep. Souley Brom (sp)? Seems odd you would be transferring out of a program on the rise...
Yes, he wanted to be the lead Point guard, and Smith told him Frankie would be the starter at point this year.

USF did everything they could to reschedule the smoked-out Arizona St. game including offering several dates to play IN Tempe, but super wuss Bobby Hurley refused to play USF this year. He saw a loss coming.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Beating Gonzaga on its home floor in Spokane is a daunting task. USF (or any other WCC unit) will be hard-pressed to beat the Zags up there.

If the Zags are at full strength, lots of luck beating them in Sin City as well.

I don't think any team in the conference is capable of keeping it close. USF gave it one hell of a shot, but on a neutral court or @Zags, Gonzaga would destroy any team in the WCC 99 out of 100 times.

Been watching the Zags for years now, and it's amazing to me how many straight years they have been excellent. I think their last BAD SEASON was in 1998!

I don't think any team in the conference is capable of keeping it close. USF gave it one hell of a shot, but on a neutral court or @Zags, Gonzaga would destroy any team in the WCC 99 out of 100 times.

Been watching the Zags for years now, and it's amazing to me how many straight years they have been excellent. I think their last BAD SEASON was in 1998!

Their ability to recruit players to come to Spokane is something else.

I don't think anybody can beat them in Spokane that is for sure. Zags beat Dons by 25+ their. Maybe the Dons could have gotten them a few weeks ago when they had a couple guys injured. Now, I think you are right. But who would have thought Syracuse could go into Durham and beat Duke last night. Huge win.

Reactions: ayalar09
Their ability to recruit players to come to Spokane is something else.

Thats all Mark Few and his top assistant coach Tommy Lloyd (who actually gets paid more than every other coach in the WCC and he's an assistant!)

LarryLegend33 - Duke was missing a lot of the studs. Reddish was out with illness. Tre Jones got knocked out in the first couple of minutes and Zion was playing but still recovering from a horrible eye poke the other night. Nice win for a Syracuse team who lost to Old Dominion earlier this year!

Thats all Mark Few and his top assistant coach Tommy Lloyd (who actually gets paid more than every other coach in the WCC and he's an assistant!)

LarryLegend33 - Duke was missing a lot of the studs. Reddish was out with illness. Tre Jones got knocked out in the first couple of minutes and Zion was playing but still recovering from a horrible eye poke the other night. Nice win for a Syracuse team who lost to Old Dominion earlier this year!

How much does a typical WCC coach make? $500k? Mark Few must be close to million or more?
The Cuse game was really good. Zion was still an animal with 35pts which I think was a frosh record. I don't think Duke wins it though. There are some really good teams like Mich, Tenn, UVA, and Zags. Its not a lock like many thought.

Larry Legend - My guess is Few makes about 2 mil, and Lloyd is probably around the 1 mil range. People don't realize Lloyd is pretty much responsible for Austin Daye, Zach Collins, Rui Hachimura, Zach Norvelle Jr., and so many other top players to come to that school. They have a kid coming in next year named Anton Watson who is an absolute animal and sure-fire lottery pick in the 2020 draft.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT