ADVERTISEMENT

Was Oak Ridge versus Grant, now just another FOLSOM thread

Where would you say most of the Spartans are from?

They draw from a wide area and may not have a majority from any one area, but to answer the question I would say most of them are probably from over the hill in East County, as opposed to the Tri Valley, Lamorinda, West County, Concord or the PH/MTZ/WC areas.

Last edited:
They draw from a wide area and may not have a majority from any one area, but to answer the question I would say most of them are probably from over the hill in East County, as opposed to the Tri Valley, Lamorinda, West County, Concord or the PH/MTZ/WC areas.
I would say most(60%) are from the 680 corridor of Danville, San Ramon, Alamo. The remaining 40%, 35% from the East County BVAL area. 5% a smattering from other parts of the Eastbay

Do you think Coach Alberghini should step down? The Pacers have been a helluva program for years, and he’s a huge part of that. Or do you think they just need some better assistant coaches/ coordinators?

We like him as our head coach, we know it’s takes a special coach to be able to coach these type of kids that deal with a lot of off the field issues,but no team does less with more. Talent only can get you so far. Watch a grant game and I’m sure you’d question a lot of the things they do offensively. No creativity at all. Grant needs a offensive football mind calling the plays that can also coach the QBs. Aaron Garcia wants to be there but coach AL isn’t the easiest to coach with from what I hear. We will figure it out hopefully sooner than later we have a strong feeder program(s) I seen someone mention our jv team doesn’t look promising lol don’t ever project grants varsity teams off the jv squad. Grant is weird none of our jv teams dominate cause everything is different at varsity level jv and varsity doesn’t even run the same plays and if you’re good you’re most likely already on varsity

We like him as our head coach, we know it’s takes a special coach to be able to coach these type of kids that deal with a lot of off the field issues,but no team does less with more. Talent only can get you so far. Watch a grant game and I’m sure you’d question a lot of the things they do offensively. No creativity at all. Grant needs a offensive football mind calling the plays that can also coach the QBs. Aaron Garcia wants to be there but coach AL isn’t the easiest to coach with from what I hear. We will figure it out hopefully sooner than later we have a strong feeder program(s) I seen someone mention our jv team doesn’t look promising lol don’t ever project grants varsity teams off the jv squad. Grant is weird none of our jv teams dominate cause everything is different at varsity level jv and varsity doesn’t even run the same plays and if you’re good you’re most likely already on varsity

If Al were to step down do you think Garcia would come take over, considering he is coaching his kid at Cap Christian?

If Al were to step down do you think Garcia would come take over, considering he is coaching his kid at Cap Christian?

Wouldnt shock me if he let his kid finish his time there then apply for the head coaching position. Capital is a sweet job I’d bet it’s less drama from day to day than grant lol

Hope things get straightened out. Grant is one of my favorite public programs

Reactions: ThunderRam
And very few of those sporting Spartans on their jerseys are actually from Concord.

they don't have to be
Wouldnt shock me if he let his kid finish his time there then apply for the head coaching position. Capital is a sweet job I’d bet it’s less drama from day to day than grant lol

The way they turnover coaches at CC, it can't be that great over there for coaches. ;)

Last edited:
I would say most(60%) are from the 680 corridor of Danville, San Ramon, Alamo. The remaining 40%, 35% from the East County BVAL area. 5% a smattering from other parts of the Eastbay

That’s a guess, a wild one at that, if referring to FB students only. That’s saying 30+ varsity players came from four schools boundaries in the SRVUSD. MV, SRV, Cal and DoVal. If history means much from 2007-12, those numbers were probably 2-3 per school, approx 10-12....not quite “60%.”

DLS is a private. I don’t get why where the kids live who attend even matters. Private’s have no boundaries and nobody expects them to have them.

Am I missing something?

If they were a public, and some kids were from Fresno, then that’s a different conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: aztecpadre
That’s a guess, a wild one at that, if referring to FB students only. That’s saying 30+ varsity players came from four schools boundaries in the SRVUSD. MV, SRV, Cal and DoVal. If history means much from 2007-12, those numbers were probably 2-3 per school, approx 10-12....not quite “60%.”
Yes it’s a guess, that’s all it ever was. I don’t think anyone in this thread has any exact numbers. What is your best guess, you seem to have your own hunch?

I’d say a lot of the student body in general come from that area. Hard to say how many play football

DLS is a private. I don’t get why where the kids live who attend even matters. Private’s have no boundaries and nobody expects them to have them.

Am I missing something?

If they were a public, and some kids were from Fresno, then that’s a different conversation.
No, they are merely highlighting a known advantage DLS has.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Did you chart the demographic composition of the DLS football rosters from 2007-2012?

90% are from CCC, true. In that time frame I knew most of the “Danville, Alamo, San Ramon” athletes .

But the question really is remc’s stipulation of 60%. Throwing out numbers hoping they’ll stick is disingenuous. I believe my estimation is realistic.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Am I missing something?

The original post was referring to DLS players when he wrote “unless you’re from Concord”. It was pointed out to him that most of them aren’t from Concord. There was no mention of any advantages or recruiting or any such thing. No one said it mattered where the kids come from, it was just a discussion.

And I think 1315 was referring to knowing who the 680 kids were who attended DLS during that time frame, as our kids had played youth sports with many of them. Everyone knew the 3 or 4 neighborhood kids who ended up at DLS.

The SRVUSD is a great district and not many parents in that area would send their kids to DLS just for the academics. Mainly for sports or if they want the catholic education. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who live in the East County and send their kids to DLS or Carondelet for academic reasons, as well as for sports or the catholic education. That’s why I feel there are more kids from that area, but I certainly didn’t do any charting.

Last edited:
Reactions: RidgeRider
The way they turnover coaches at CC, it can't be that great over there for coaches. ;)

That's not necessarily true. For example, Folsom went through 3 coaches in 11 years between Tom Doherty retiring and Kris Richardson's hiring. And then they suddenly became a great situation -- if they weren't already. Same could be true of Capital with Casey Taylor in the mix now.

Phil Grams was there 5 seasons and they only had 1 coach in between Taylor's hiring. So it's not like it's been ridiculously unstable. Grams departed for a D3 college gig. I don't recall the reasons behind Gerringer's departure, but I do know that Taylor nearly accepted the job at Capital a few years earlier and they had obviously wanted him for some time. So that may have played a role.

That's not necessarily true. For example, Folsom went through 3 coaches in 11 years between Tom Doherty retiring and Kris Richardson's hiring. And then they suddenly became a great situation -- if they weren't already. Same could be true of Capital with Casey Taylor in the mix now.

Phil Grams was there 5 seasons and they only had 1 coach in between Taylor's hiring. So it's not like it's been ridiculously unstable. Grams departed for a D3 college gig. I don't recall the reasons behind Gerringer's departure, but I do know that Taylor nearly accepted the job at Capital a few years earlier and they had obviously wanted him for some time. So that may have played a role.

Agreed on football but I was thinking across other sports as well when I made my comment, meaning not just football. Seems they go through coaches. It will be interesting to see how long CT stays. Lots of rumors about the admin, etc

Agreed on football but I was thinking across other sports as well when I made my comment, meaning not just football. Seems they go through coaches. It will be interesting to see how long CT stays. Lots of rumors about the admin, etc

Gotcha. I wasn't aware of the changes across other sports. Your comment makes more sense to me now.

90% are from CCC, true. In that time frame I knew most of the “Danville, Alamo, San Ramon” athletes .

But the question really is remc’s stipulation of 60%. Throwing out numbers hoping they’ll stick is disingenuous. I believe my estimation is realistic.
Like I said earlier, it was a guess. “Throwing out numbers” is what guessing is.If YOU know exactly then why don’t you just say that you know.? What would be my purpose of trying to be disingenuous here?

The original post was referring to DLS players when he wrote “unless you’re from Concord”. It was pointed out to him that most of them aren’t from Concord. There was no mention of any advantages or recruiting or any such thing. No one said it mattered where the kids come from, it was just a discussion.

And I think 1315 was referring to knowing who the 680 kids were who attended DLS during that time frame, as our kids had played youth sports with many of them. Everyone knew the 3 or 4 neighborhood kids who ended up at DLS.

The SRVUSD is a great district and not many parents in that area would send their kids to DLS just for the academics. Mainly for sports or if they want the catholic education. On the other hand, I know a lot of people who live in the East County and send their kids to DLS or Carondelet for academic reasons, as well as for sports or the catholic education. That’s why I feel there are more kids from that area, but I certainly didn’t do any charting.
I would agree, East County definitely has a big presence on Winton Ave

Estimation is the key word here

Nowhere in that statement did you state you were estimating and went so far as to attach a statistical reference of 60%. You were challenging O22s suggestion the majority came from East CCC. Maybe I missed where you wrote your “60% were from Danville, Alamo and San Ramon” was purely a guesstimate. If I did, my bad.

I’m a public school advocate for many reasons, mostly familial. And there are families who read NCP to get info about schools and their sports. It’s pretty clear, which O22 cites at #95, there’s hardly any evidence those “680 corridor “ towns’ schools’ academic standings would have parents choose deLa over their local public, unless for parochial or athletic reasons. On the other hand, the evidence exists that compared to many other community’s HS, it’s an academic upgrade, and worth the 18k/year (minus the 30% scholly rate averaging 9k) to improve their college chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
For example, Folsom went through 3 coaches in 11 years between Tom Doherty retiring and Kris Richardson's hiring. And then they suddenly became a great situation -- if they weren't already.

Troy Taylor's hiring was the turning point. Coach Richardson become the HC/co-HC later.

Troy Taylor's hiring was the turning point. Coach Richardson become the HC/co-HC later.

I disagree from the standpoint that Folsom was 15-15 during TT's 3 seasons as solo HC before he departed for Cal (because the NCAA wouldn't grant him a waiver to do both). They then went 17-13-1 during Richardson's first 3 seasons as solo HC.

The turning point, from my POV, occurred not only with the Dano Graves, Tyler Troisin, Jordan Richards, etc class, but upon Troy Taylor's 2nd stint with the Bulldogs after he left his Cal gig. He wasn't 'officially' named Co-HC until 2012, but was working with the QB's and offense for several seasons before that. I believe around '08 with David Graves IIRC.

Once Troy and Kris began working together, the program hit the stratosphere.

Reactions: awood1
Tram- you and I don’t agree on everything but this I can concur. Mine had the luxury of a XnO disciple, his brothers, an NFL vet, and a few really sharp F/JV coaches.

They Phoenixed our program as well. Once they moved up, an autocratic flavor ensued; the fall off wasn’t immediate, yet inevitable.

Culture does not change overnight. I stand by my statement.

I concede that point. But Folsom was still an average-at-best program when TT left in 2004 and continued to be an average-at-best program for 3 years after that. If his 1st stint changed anything, it would have been very much apparent by the time he left or shortly thereafter. But it wasn't. Because nothing was much different until the 2 coaches paired up together nearly 5 years later and inherited a super class of kids. That's where the groundwork for what we're seeing now was laid.

Reactions: awood1
wow, every darn thread is a Folsom thread.....I give up

Well, when you have a certain Cybil with an inferiority complex and multiple personality disorder lurking every thread to turn it into something about Folsom, what would you expect?

Well, when you have a certain Cybil with an inferiority complex and multiple personality disorder lurking every thread to turn it into something about Folsom, what would you expect?

He’s running three active handles right now, maybe more.

Still trying to hide and pawn himself off as someone else but he works for that program. He’s good at counting by 7, just like a third grader.

Last edited:
Nowhere in that statement did you state you were estimating and went so far as to attach a statistical reference of 60%. You were challenging O22s suggestion the majority came from East CCC. Maybe I missed where you wrote your “60% were from Danville, Alamo and San Ramon” was purely a guesstimate. If I did, my bad.

I’m a public school advocate for many reasons, mostly familial. And there are families who read NCP to get info about schools and their sports. It’s pretty clear, which O22 cites at #95, there’s hardly any evidence those “680 corridor “ towns’ schools’ academic standings would have parents choose deLa over their local public, unless for parochial or athletic reasons. On the other hand, the evidence exists that compared to many other community’s HS, it’s an academic upgrade, and worth the 18k/year (minus the 30% scholly rate averaging 9k) to improve their college chances.
30% scholly??? Shit! We got 0% scholly! We were bamboozled! Damn it! I musta missed the sign up day for that!

You are making an assumption here is that not correct.

Really? Ok. Now you’re on point to prove that it’s not correct.

I already provided evidence/facts in support of my position. So far you’ve provided nothing in support of yours. Liar liar pants on fire isn’t a viable argument.

Ironically enough, you’re the one making an assumption w/o direct evidence. While my opinion could very well be wrong, I at least provided sound reasoning why I believe it to be true. And the facts clearly support my position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT