ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Bellarmine Bells

I agree. SF defense will be very tough matchup against all the WCAL teams. Could see that defense shutting down several teams. Offense will improve and maybe the open it up some and they are a formidable team. I still think SF is a dark horse and has a shot to win WCAL.

I think WCAL - VC, Bells, Serra, SF have good shots and Mitty and SI maybe. SI looks like they can be matchup problem for some teams. No one runs the table in WCAL in my opinion this year. Will be a battle. SHC and Riordan are decent teams, but tough league.

Los Gatos and Milpitas should battle in DeAnza. Wilcox is decent and Paly is just plain down.

MBL Gab - stronger this year than last - Palma, Monterey (very talented) and Hollister (excellent defense and pretty good QB) battle for Gab title with longer shots in Salinas (actually think they have a good shot at taking SHP next week and/or Terra Nova the following week) and Alvarez.

MHAL - Is not particularly strong this year and Oak Grove, Piedmont Hills, Pioneer and Willow Glen battle out the top spots.

Aptos in SCAL is pretty good, but probably enrollment division. Ocean Bay - Terra Nova and SHP (will get stronger) will battle for league. Burlingame (may surprise), Menlo, Menlo-A battle at next tier.

All the teams mentioned are probably top 20 in the CCS. Maybe missing a couple.

Judging from the fact Mitty only played one game away does not really say how good they will be. Los Gatos beat Mitty, but it was far from dominating them. Mitty had tons of mistakes and lots of penalties, and turnovers which should be cleared up. Also Mitty had to be in the red zone a couple of times and just couldnt muster up any points. Kudos to Los Gatos, but Mitty simply beat themselves. With the playmakers they have I think they still have a great chance to win the WCAL. A blowout win over Palo Alto and a win against Pitt would get them back in good graces. VC has had a vanilla schedule so far so we will find out a little about them vs Milpitas and a whole lot more against Serra. Oak Grove held their own in the first half but shot themselves in the foot with turnovers which resulted in points. It will take a win over Serra to convince me they are for real, but on paper they are. SF will be a problem with their starters back healthy. Its a marathon, not a sprint in the WCAL so I expect them to knock off a contender or two and could be at the top when all is said and done. The Bells might be the team that could also suprise. They do have team speed, solid defense and great coaching. These three peices alone will lead to wins and maybe some upsets. Serra without Cassidy could still be a dangerous team with big play recievers and speed. They have played a very tough schedule and are battle tested. My early guess is that they beat VC in week one, but ST Francis will once again dethrone them. The Bells team also will match up against Serra really well. SI posted a couple of solid wins and with a veteran QB, anything is possible. They could make noise this year. Its hard to tell how SHC will be judging from preseason comp, but the run game is clicking and is much needed in league. They also have a veteran QB to make things interesting. Riordan looked good on defense against SHP and if could score would probably won the game! They seem to have athletes that have speed, but they need to utilize them more instead of running the same plays over and over. They might be able to win a game or two. Its a dog fight right now and to be honest I dont think there is a clear cut favorite until week one in league is played. There should be some very good games in the WCAL this year!.

Originally posted by NorCalSportsFan:

I agree. SF defense will be very tough matchup against all the WCAL teams. Could see that defense shutting down several teams. Offense will improve and maybe the open it up some and they are a formidable team. I still think SF is a dark horse and has a shot to win WCAL.

I think WCAL - VC, Bells, Serra, SF have good shots and Mitty and SI maybe. SI looks like they can be matchup problem for some teams. No one runs the table in WCAL in my opinion this year. Will be a battle. SHC and Riordan are decent teams, but tough league.
I'm not counting SF out. They could be there at the end. SF is a better team than they showed against Palma. I also think that Palma may be a pretty good team this year. SF's defense will be good. However SF has a few holes on offense to fix. Two things come to mind. Their O-line needs to fire off the ball faster and play with more physicality. The O-line in general needs to clean some things up. Secondly when you have a talented QB with good receivers you need to use them. SF should stop being so predictable with their run game and should start to mix it up with their passing game and maybe get a little more creative when they do run the ball. But like I said before SF needs to prove it on the field as they did not play like a top WCAL team against Palma. Time will tell and they have plenty of it to get things sorted out before they get to the tough part of their WCAL schedule.

I will have the roster and will check at the game. Wow....maybe I better change my Pickem to Palma with this new knowledge. LOL

You can thank me at the end of the year as I noticed you moved SF down to the bottom position of least confidence from where you had them. That put you at the top of the pack this week.

This post was edited on 9/15 3:43 PM by WCAL75

Yes and no. I did read that Merc article before you mentioned it (but wasn't sure what players were going to miss-didn't expect Toki to play) and was waiting until last hour before I headed to the game to make any changes. I really stated that to be facetious.

I thought SF was going to win the game, but saw it as a potential game to gain if they lost and was going to move them down any ways to 1-3 (figured the players weren't 100% anyways and a potential upset in Salinas). I saw SF, and St Mary's on video, and Palma before live, and Enterprise last year and thought SF was a good one to gain points on an upset (since many had them so high).

Yes and no. I did read that Merc article before you mentioned it (but wasn't sure what players were going to miss-didn't expect Toki to play) and was waiting until last hour before I headed to the game to make any changes. I really stated that to be facetious.

I thought SF was going to win the game, but saw it as a potential game to gain if they lost and was going to move them down any ways to 1-3 (figured the players weren't 100% anyways and a potential upset in Salinas). I saw SF, and St Mary's on video, and Palma before live, and Enterprise last year and thought SF was a good one to gain points on an upset (since many had them so high).
NorCal - why do I feel you were lying in the weeds listening to the rest of us talk up the Lancers while you were actually betting against them by moving them down in the Pick'em contest?

Of course I'm kidding, but you were smarter than most of us in looking at this game. Heck I moved SF up on my list & could have gone higher thinking my "dark horse" was going to ride right over Palma like last season.

Re: WCAL 2014 Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish

This Week's WCAL Games: Not too much excitement this weekend unless you like blow-outs. The game of the week "GOW" should be the St. Ignatius -St. Mary's game which should be a good one. The other game of interest is VC vs Milpitas. VC dominated Miplitas last season and VC is better this season & Milpitas is not - though it will be a better gauge of how good VC is than VC's last 2 opponents, lowly Pioneer & Oak Grove. I will break down the games over the next few days, but would like to hear from some of the more knowledgeable fans - which game will provide the biggest BLOW-OUT, ie: over by mid-2nd quarter, running clock in 2nd 1/2, reserves tiring out, starting the bus late 3rd quarter, etc. Question 2: will it be a WCAL "Sweep" this weekend?

Mitty 1-1 vs Palo Alto 0-2 Friday nite @ Paly 7:30

Bells 2-0 vs Piedmont Hills 1-0 Friday nite @ Bells 7:00

SHC 2-0 vs Saratoga 1-1 Friday nite @ Terra Nova 7:00

St. Francis 1-1 vs Skyline 1-1 Friday nite @ SF 7:30

VC 2-0 vs Milpitas 2-0 Friday nite @ VC 7:30

Riordan 0-2 vs Menlo-Atherton 0-2 Saturday @ MA 1:00

Serra 0-2 vs SSF 0-2 Saturday @ Serra 1:00

SI 2-0 vs St. Mary's [Stockton] 2-0 Saturday @ SI 1:00

The Mitty Paly game has blowout written all over it. Paly gets shutout for the first time in 10 years last week to San Benito and also needed a game winning field goal to beat sequoia. Mitty has has two weeks off thinking about their loss to Los Gatos so this game could get ugly really fast! Serra SSFgame will be over quickly also after coming off of two losses they are desperate to get in the win column. They will be too much in this one and the starters will be out to start the fourth quarter.

This post was edited on 9/16 9:58 AM by PAL95

Originally posted by Rmbr26:

This Week's WCAL Games: Not too much excitement this weekend unless you like blow-outs. The game of the week "GOW" should be the St. Ignatius -St. Mary's game which should be a good one. The other game of interest is VC vs Milpitas. VC dominated Miplitas last season and VC is better this season & Milpitas is not - though it will be a better gauge of how good VC is than VC's last 2 opponents, lowly Pioneer & Oak Grove. I will break down the games over the next few days, but would like to hear from some of the more knowledgeable fans - which game will provide the biggest BLOW-OUT, ie: over by mid-2nd quarter, running clock in 2nd 1/2, reserves tiring out, starting the bus late 3rd quarter, etc. Question 2: will it be a WCAL "Sweep" this weekend?

Mitty 1-1 vs Palo Alto 0-2 Friday nite @ Paly 7:30

Bells 2-0 vs Piedmont Hills 1-0 Friday nite @ Bells 7:00

SHC 2-0 vs Saratoga 1-1 Friday nite @ KEZAR 7:00

St. Francis 1-1 vs Skyline 1-1 Friday nite @ SF 7:30

VC 2-0 vs Milpitas 2-0 Friday nite @ VC 7:30

Riordan 0-2 vs Menlo-Atherton 0-2 Saturday @ MA 1:00

Serra 0-2 vs SSF 0-2 Saturday @ Serra 1:00

SI 2-0 vs St. Mary's [Stockton] 2-0 Saturday @ SI 1:00
St. Francis vs. Skyline will be the biggest blowout. Your description's perfect. I saw Skyline during the scrimmage with SHC and Lincoln and they weren't very good.

Valley Christian should score 40 against Milpitas. Same with Serra vs. South City.

Menlo-Atherton vs. Riordan may have a game similar to last week's game. Lots of noise but not much scoring. Also, I think this game is at Riordan, not M-A.

St. Mary's (Stockton) at SI probably won't be a blowout but I usually root for the Christian Brothers schools.

Sacred Heart Cathedral should beat Saratoga. Game is at Kezar this Friday.

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:
St. Francis vs. Skyline will be the biggest blowout. Your description's perfect. I saw Skyline during the scrimmage with SHC and Lincoln and they weren't very good.

Valley Christian should score 40 against Milpitas. Same with Serra vs. South City.

Menlo-Atherton vs. Riordan may have a game similar to last week's game. Lots of noise but not much scoring. Also, I think this game is at Riordan, not M-A.

St. Mary's (Stockton) at SI probably won't be a blowout but I usually root for the Christian Brothers schools.

Sacred Heart Cathedral should beat Saratoga. Game is at Kezar this Friday.
Yes Irish you are correct that Riordan hosts MA this Saturday - possibly a plus for the Crusader's on home turf? Hmmm..

"St. Francis vs. Skyline will be the biggest blowout. Your description's perfect. I saw Skyline during the scrimmage with SHC and Lincoln and they weren't very good"

Not Calgano's style to blow out teams. If he hits 28 points anytime before halftime, he'll send in the backups. SF should stop this series next year.
SHC easily beats Novato > Novato blows out Dougherty Valley > DV barely wins against Skyline. Hmmm
Interesting that Skyline manhandled Seaside. Seaside was a playoff team last year. Must be slim pickings this year.

If I had to choose a blowout game based on score, it will be the Bells game.

This post was edited on 9/16 4:29 PM by HSS75

Originally posted by HSS75:
"St. Francis vs. Skyline will be the biggest blowout. Your description's perfect. I saw Skyline during the scrimmage with SHC and Lincoln and they weren't very good"

Not Calgano's style to blow out teams. If he hits 28 points anytime before halftime, he'll send in the backups. SF should stop this series next year.
SHC easily beats Novato > Novato blows out Dougherty Valley > DV barely wins against Skyline. Hmmm
Interesting that Skyline manhandled Seaside. Seaside was a playoff team last year. Must be slim pickings this year.

If I had to choose a blowout game based on score, it will be the Bells game.

This post was edited on 9/16 4:29 PM by HSS75
Very good HSS75 as you are in tune with the history of the annual Bells-Piedmont Hills slaughter. I have referred to this game for several years now as the "Annual Bloodletting Game" as Bellarmine regularly pummels Piedmont Hills & for some unknown & unforgiveable reason Piedmont Hills continues to have this meaningless game on their schedule - perhaps after so many games it's a "friendly slaughter"??

Anyway last season in 2013 Piedmont Hills did have a reasonably good team that went to CCS playoffs & gave the Bells their biggest challenge to date with a loss to the Bells by 41-21.

The Bells have surprised everyone so far & 2-0 over 2 good teams in ratings. Piedmont Hills has a win over Homestead by 41-21 but Homestead is hardly regarded as a powerhouse. We will now find out how credible that win was. Bells are #4 in CCS after 2 impressive wins and Piedmont Hills comes in surprisingly at #22.

Here are the previous 4 games & I didn't dare look any further into the inter-school series. You would think though that the game would be at a reduced admission rate if they are going to charge at all...
frown.r191677.gif

2012 Bells 56 - Piedmont Hills 7
2011 Bells 51 - Piedmont Hills 9
2010 Bells 55 - Piedmont Hills 28
2009 Bells 59 - Piedmont Hills 14

Rmbr26,

You only needed to go back a few more years to find some close results between the Bells and Piedmont.

2006 - Bells 21 - Piedmont Hills 11
2005 - Bells 21 - Piedmont Hills 7

In regard to the "Annual Bloodletting" my assumption is that this game requested by the Piedmont Hills staff and is used as a game full of lessons. Similar to playing DLS you can learn a lot about yourselves and your team when playing a superior opponent. I know Janda isn't one to run up the score but I believe many of those points are scored by 2nd and 3rd string guys. It's hard to tell a kid who may only get 5 carries all year (if that) to not score a touchdown. My personal opinion on blowout games is you get all your guys playing time as soon as possible, you keep the ball on the ground and you play hard until the final whistle. Personally I would find a team taking a knee with lots of time left on the clock is more humiliating then an extra 10-20 points in a blowout.

To note 2007 was the year the Bells switched to the dreaded "3 yards and a cloud of dust" double wing offense and have made it to the CCS Open semis or better every year since including 2 state appearance both ending in last second losses. Up to that time the Bells had been relatively mediocre and as painful as the offense is to watch it has proven successful.

Originally posted by TheLeague4082:
Rmbr26,

You only needed to go back a few more years to find some close results between the Bells and Piedmont.

2006 - Bells 21 - Piedmont Hills 11
2005 - Bells 21 - Piedmont Hills 7

In regard to the "Annual Bloodletting" my assumption is that this game requested by the Piedmont Hills staff and is used as a game full of lessons. Similar to playing DLS you can learn a lot about yourselves and your team when playing a superior opponent. I know Janda isn't one to run up the score but I believe many of those points are scored by 2nd and 3rd string guys. It's hard to tell a kid who may only get 5 carries all year (if that) to not score a touchdown. My personal opinion on blowout games is you get all your guys playing time as soon as possible, you keep the ball on the ground and you play hard until the final whistle. Personally I would find a team taking a knee with lots of time left on the clock is more humiliating then an extra 10-20 points in a blowout.

To note 2007 was the year the Bells switched to the dreaded "3 yards and a cloud of dust" double wing offense and have made it to the CCS Open semis or better every year since including 2 state appearance both ending in last second losses. Up to that time the Bells had been relatively mediocre and as painful as the offense is to watch it has proven successful.
TheLeague - you make some valid points regarding scheduling tough opponents and reserve players scoring when the opportunity arises. I'm not sure though I'd describe the loss variety that Piedmont Hills has suffered a the hands of the Bells as "a game full of lessons" - ie: losses of 51-6, 51-9 & 59-14 annihilations in 3 of the 4 last games. The only lesson learned by lopsided losses in consecutive seasons repeatedly is not to schedule a team you cannot compete with on an equal basis..

Serra under Walsh adopted the double wing in 2006 of which Janda copied Walsh & adopted a year later and has stuck with it more so than Coach Walsh of Serra - Walsh from time to time has switched to a spread formation or pro set while Janda even with excellent QB's has stuck with the "3 yards & cloud of dust" offense almost exclusively.

Clarification: reading your last line about "2007 was year Bells switched [their offense] Up to that time the Bells had been relatively mediocre". It sounds like you're saying the Bells team in general was "mediocre" prior to 2007, but I don't think that is what you meant [?].

Ken Peralta brought the double wing to Riordan during his tenure with the Crusaders earning an undefeated WCAL title in 2000 (a year before VC entered the league). He had talented skill players that year including a promising soph - Eric Wright.

Originally posted by jordan24:
Ken Peralta brought the double wing to Riordan during his tenure with the Crusaders earning an undefeated WCAL title in 2000 (a year before VC entered the league). He had talented skill players that year including a promising soph - Eric Wright.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Very good knowledge Jordan regarding Wright's soph year. His senior year however didn't go well and the change in overall team performance was hard to figure. I expected the Crusader's to once again be a dominant force with the speedy Eric Wright in his senior year & they were anything but. Always fascinating how a program that wins WCAL in one year can drop to lower tier in 2 years time. Perhaps you have a better recollection of what happened over 2 years time & can fill us in.

Rmbr26. Jordan could tell you why but won't.

FUBO has repeatedly provided plenty of history of Riordan's demise...His man crush had a terrible won-loss record, but that was really just the tip of the iceberg as this coincided with declining enrollment, lack of interest/support from the Marianists/Administration to invest in the infrastructure required to keep Athletics competitive. He had no chance for success. At the same time every WCAL school was investing in upgrading its facilities, S&C programs, etc. Interesting, though, ALL his former players including Wright and Tyrone McGraw hold him in high regard as he taught more than just football and was always there for his players even after graduating (McGraw lost his mom and guardian during his freshman year..) ...similar to Tom Brady's reference of his old Serra coach, Tom McKenzie. Serra was not a juggernaut under his tenure but he also taught more than just football. That's something our friend, FUBO, will never understand. Pity.

This post was edited on 9/17 11:21 PM by jordan24

You and PurpleHaze have the Man Crushes. You have been trumpeting them for their coaching prowess and off season prep all summer! When the inconvenient facts get posted and they lose two games in the fashion they did you start crying, get defensive and emotional.
That's a lot stuff you you threw out there. "Marianists, Infrastructure, Enrollment" whew! I just know they won a WCAL championship the year before a certain coach took over and a CCS Championship right after he left. How come the other two coaches were able to win with the whole deck stacked against them? You have surveyed all the former players too?

This post was edited on 9/17 11:52 PM by FUBO

NM
This post was edited on 9/18 1:50 AM by jordan24

Originally posted by FUBO:
You and PurpleHaze have the Man Crushes. You have been trumpeting them for their coaching prowess and off season prep all summer! When the inconvenient facts get posted and they lose two games in the fashion they did you start crying, get defensive and emotional.
That's a lot stuff you you threw out there. "Marianists, Infrastructure, Enrollment" whew! I just know they won a WCAL championship the year before a certain coach took over and a CCS Championship right after he left. How come the other two coaches were able to win with the whole deck stacked against them? You have surveyed all the former players too?

This post was edited on 9/17 11:52 PM by FUBO
Inconvenient facts? Let's try some these...

1. I've never come close to "trumpeting them for their coaching prowess." Find one time.
2. I've not made an excuse for either loss. I said, and I quote, that Milpitas was "bigger, stronger, and better." Not seeing an excuse there. I said, in regards to the SHP loss that the "more disciplined team won." Find an excuse in either loss and I promise to secure you an invitation to Ben Burr-Kirven's next birthday party.

I only came onto your radar after I had the audacity to suggest that Riordan's offseason prep has been better this past summer than it has in years past. That's not hype, just fact.

But it's ok, FUBO. You and your buddy TedSmithers win. When you argue with an idiot, people from a distance can't tell which is which. Enjoy yourselves this season.

@jordan24 I don't know why you deleted your post, but If you played for him like you say then you didn't experience much winning football.
@Purplehaze Burr-Kirven just committed to Univ of Washington. Congrats to him.
To both of you, who is the favorite Saturday Riordan or MA?

This post was edited on 9/18 7:52 AM by FUBO

@jordan24 I don't know why you deleted your post, but If you played for him like you say then you didn't experience much winning football.
@Purplehaze Burr-Kirven just committed to Univ of Washington. Congrats to him.
To both of you, who is the favorite Saturday Riordan or MA?

I missed Kirven's commitment. I did see that Jason Scrempos of Milpitas committed to UW as well. Those are two really nice pieces for the defense.

As far as Riordan/MA...

I see another close loss. Riordan's Defense will keep them in the game, but i've really seen nothing from the offense that leads me to believe that they can put up enough points to win unless they shake up the lineup.

While not as big as Milpitas, MA has really good size in the trenches. I'm not terribly impressed by their skill position players, but they're effective. The MA defense has some nice safeties which will make a weak passing game that much more challenged. Basically I see MA as a poor man's Milpitas.

My heart says Riordan. I'd love for those boys to get a win against a quality opponent going into league play But my head says this will be a repeat of last week. Really hope i'm wrong.

Just saw that Serra's top RB Kava Cassidy is having surgery on his broken collarbone suffered during Notre-Dame Sherman Oaks game and may be lost for the season - a big blow for the Padres to absorb.

I deleted my post because I felt it was inappropriate for a Prep message board. We may not have experienced winning football, but we always had a winning spirit and fight. He taught us how to win in life through his example, dedication and work ethic in shaping young men. A great HS experience with many still my friends today, A Bachelor's degree at a 4 year University and a successful career with a loving family - I'll take that! Go Crusaders!

Re: WCAL 2014 - Game Previews for Fri-Sat. Sept 19-20

Let me be the "broken record" again...Why don't you jackrabbits stop posting about your team's performance until they start showing results?

I get the impression with the early post about "having a tough pre-season schedule (ie. more challenging than VC's)," that you guys are having those delusions again...What does the hell does that really mean?...

Originally posted by TedSmithers:
Let me be the "broken record" again...Why don't you jackrabbits stop posting about your team's performance until they start showing results?

I get the impression with the early post about "having a tough pre-season schedule (ie. more challenging than VC's)," that you guys are having those delusions again...What does the hell does that really mean?...
You might direct that question to Rmbr26 since he was the one who said it, genius.

@Purplehaze If Riordan wins, and they might, you can't count this as a "quality win". To remind you, MA is 0-2, has been outscored 70-10 and is unranked.

Amazing how Riordan's preseason schedule suddenly turned to $hit in everyone's eyes. That's ok, i'm counting it as a quality win, if it happens.

@Purplehaze If Riordan wins, and they might, you can't count this as a "quality win". To remind you, MA is 0-2, has been outscored 70-10 and is unranked.
MA is better than you think. Their losses albeit bad have been to Campolindo and LG both of which are projected to win their leagues and are regionally ranked. Big line and some talent at the skill positions. New offensive look this year and are still working the kinks out. They are not as good as last year's team but better than most of the posters on this thread think.
This post was edited on 9/18 2:43 PM by 2wcats

Originally posted by 2wcats:
MA is better than you think. Their losses albeit bad have been to Campolindo and LG both of which are projected to win their leagues and are regionally ranked. Big line and some talent at the skill positions. New offensive look this year and are still working the kinks out. They are not as good as last year's team but better than most of the posters on this thread think.
This post was edited on 9/18 2:43 PM by 2wcats
2wcats,

Don't waste your breath. This isn't about how good MA is to FUBO, it's about how bad he thinks Riordan is. MA is just collateral damage.

This post was edited on 9/18 2:59 PM by PurpleHaze13

RIORDAN 0-2 VS MENLO-ATHERTON 0-2 Saturday 1:00 @ Riordan

A lot of posts regarding this game and who will win and why and what kind of win will it be - so lets look at the facts to put things in perspective.

Both Riordan and MA started with 2 very tough teams to play and lost both games each - which was highly predicted.
Riordan lost to the #7th rated team in CCS Sacred Heart Prep & also to the #9 rated team in CCS Milpitas.
Menlo-Atherton lost to the current #1 rated team in CCS in Los Gatos & also the #4 rated team in the North Coast Section in Campolindo. Between the 4 teams Riordan & MA lost to they have a combined record of 9-0 currently.

Here are the WCAL current records along with their "strength of schedule" rating based upon the quality of the teams they have played so far.

#1 - Serra 0-2 SOS = 67.5
#2 - Mitty 0-1 SOS = 45.3
#3 - Bells 2-0 SOS = 33.9
#4 - Riordan 0-2 SOS = 33.0
#5 - SI 2-0 SOS = 25.3
#6 - SF 1-1 SOS = 16.3
#7 - VC 2-0 SOS = 8.5
#8 - SHC 2-0 SOS = 1.9

As you can see of the WCAL's toughest pre-season schedules the top 4 teams have suffered 5 losses out of 7 games - along with SF who lost also to a quality opponent that Palma has turned out to be.

Menlo-Atherton is rated #25 in CCS while Riordan is rated #29, simply based on quality of the teams played & though losses the amount of points scored and given up along with the fact the teams they've lost to are all currently undefeated. MA has a higher SOS than Riordan at 42.7 which would quality for #3 among WCAL teams for toughest scheduled games so far.

Conclusion: make no mistake about it that MA is favored to win this game. While MA is not rated as a powerhouse this year many fans are making the mistake of taking this MA team too lightly. MA lost its game to Los Gatos last week by 35-7 after Los Gatos beat Mitty the previous week. Last season MA lost to Los Gatos by 35-6 in the CCS Div. II semi-final before Los Gatos went on to beat St. Francis decisively. MA also beat St. Ignatius last season 21-16. Los Gatos is now rated higher than last season which indicates MA is not far off where they were last season - making it to the 2nd round of the CCS play-offs. So yes MA does possess the capability to run away in the game with Riordan. I think this is a must-win game if the Crusader's can put it together. They have so far done on defense what was needed - to limit the points scored below their average of 39 last season - a big improvement. Now the Crusader's need to score some points in what should be a close game unless I'm wrong. Should Riordan win this game which I think they are capable of then by all accounts this would be considered a "quality win" and one of their biggest in the last several years.

Prediction: Riordan 20 - 14

@2wcats I was just going by the huge score disparity. Your additional points make sense. I picked MA to win in a close game. Riordan at home with those running backs and receivers lead me to believe they will be close in the 4 qt. MA will probably dare RIordan to throw the ball through defensive alignment. Get the sack meter warmed up.

Games Predictions for Tonite's Games & Saturday:

Mitty 1-1 vs Paly 0-2 This game could get ugly early on as Mitty had 2 weeks to think about their opening game loss to Los Gatos. Palo Alto appears to be a shell of the teams it fielded the last several years & will have trouble scoring points against Mitty's D. Mitty rolls with a vengeance.
Prediction: Mitty 45 - Paly 7

Bells 2-0 vs Piedmont Hills 1-0 The surprising Bells in 2 wins scored 42 & 28 points against 2 good teams in Franklin Elk Grove & San Leandro. Piedmont Hills has a single game win scoring 41-21 over a somewhat weak Homestead team. Bells will score at least 28 tonite and Piedmont Hills will not score 41 against the Bells.
Prediction: Bells 45 - Piedmont Hills 14

SHC 2-0 vs Saratoga 1-1 The 3rd game of a weak pre-season schedule for the Irish. SHC weakest opponent of the 3 game pre-season schedule was Galileo [51-6 SHC win] and the strongest of the 3 Irish opponents was Novato last week [SHC 35-14 win]. Saratoga is rated somewhere in between the former 2 adversaries and should be prime material for the Irish to notch their 3rd decisive win.
Prediction: SHC 41 - Saratoga 7

SF 1-1 vs Skyline 1-1 Like Mitty the Lancers are still smarting from their unexpected loss to Palma after their expected win the previous win over Oak Grove. Skyline should not prove much of a challenge and SF should look to gets its offense in sync for the start of league play in 2 weeks.
Prediction: SF 35 - Skyline 7

VC 2-0 vs Milpitas 2-0 This game could very well be a replay of last year's game between the 2 teams in which VC prevailed 48-24. VC is supposed to be up this season while Milpitas could be a bit down. Tonite we get a better idea of how good VC is OR could VC be ripe for the upset following Mitty and then SF's losses?
Prediction: VC 45 - Milpitas 27

Serra 0-2 vs SSF 0-2 The Padres get a much need breather tomorrow afternoon on home turf after facing the 2 toughest opponents of the WCAL pre-season schedule the last 2 weeks. This game will be more about how coach Walsh will go about replacing star RB Kava Cassidy who also played DB for Serra. Expect to see some new faces getting carries as RB and for the young QB Leki Nunn to show his skills.
Prediction: Serra 45 - SSF 0

SI 2-0 vs St. Mary's - Stockton 2-0 SI comes in as a decisive underdog in this game, but then again SI was the underdog the last 2 games vs Terra Nova & Marin Catholic. While SI has a shot in this game expecting an upset again maybe asking too much a 3rd time around. Then again last season SI suffered numerous close losses, so maybe this year the ball bounces their way more often.
Prediction: St. Mary's 35 - SI 21

Mitty 42- Paly 14
Bells 55 - Piedmont 17
SF 28 - Skyline 7
VC 49 - Milpitas 7
Serra 42 - SSF 0
SI 21 - st Mary 14
SHC 42 - Saratoga 0

Originally posted by HSS75:
Mitty 42- Paly 14
Bells 55 - Piedmont 17
SF 28 - Skyline 7
VC 49 - Milpitas 7
Serra 42 - SSF 0
SI 21 - st Mary 14
SHC 42 - Saratoga 0
Pretty good predicts HSS75 & mostly in line with mine except for SI-St.Mary's. I have to say I was tempted to go with SI in yet another upset on this game & could very well happen. I guess one fact swayed me from going with SI. St. Mary's does not have a great passing game & SI has the 2nd leading passer in WCAL from last season. Last week vs Terra Nova SI's Hagfeldt was 6/12 for 36 yard passing & 1 TD - which if he duplicates tomorrow will not likely result in a win. Hagfeldt in the first game vs Marin Catholic was 16/30 for 248 yards & 2 picks. If Hagfeldt passes for over 200 yards tomorrow then you have a good chance at your win.

Re: WCAL 2014 - Game Predictions for Tonite Fri. &Sat. Sept 19-20

Milpitas is up on VC 20-14 with the ball on the 10yd line

Originally posted by 4ZERO8:
Milpitas is up on VC 20-14 with the ball on the 10yd line
Hmmm, that & SHP's win tonite make Riordan's chances vs Menlo-Atherton look promising tomorrow.

I'm guess that it is end of the first 1/2 or early in 3rd quarter??

SO final score of Milpitas 31 - Valley Christian 17 is a bit baffling to say the least. I did say VC could be "ripe for the upset", but was not at all confidant enough to predict Milpitas would win - which they did convincingly.

So VC fumbled 3 times and gave up the big play on a kick-off return and a long pass play for a TD, while VC's vaunted RB's were stuffed for most of the game.

For all the talk and posts about VC's unstoppable offense and some posters claiming Riordan of being the same ol' team I keep thinking that Milpitas put up more points on VC [31] than Riordan allowed [27]. That in itself is hard to wrap your mind around.

For all the talk and posts about VC's unstoppable offense and some posters claiming Riordan of being the same ol' team I keep thinking that Milpitas put up more points on VC [31] than Riordan allowed [27]. That in itself is hard to wrap your mind around.
FUBO.....you say what? LOL

Riordan appears to be improved (defensively) and should be better next year, but after that, what's in the pipeline? Their heralded junior class is average with a few studs (Caston, Sanders). Are their lower levels any good? I recall their frosh being winless last season with no real close games. FUBO chastised me a bit in the past for calling them overrated.....now look who's bashing Crusader football.....him! Granted more the coach than the kids.......This is all very comical to me. If Smithers sticks to honey boo boo pics rather than selfies, it will be an entertaining season on NCP!

SHgradSIdad wrote:
Are their lower levels any good? I recall their frosh being winless last season with no real close games.
----------------------------------------------------------
The JVs are 1-1 (lost to Milpitas, beat SHP), and the frosh won their 1st game of the season. Also, the roster numbers are reasonable with at least 40 players on each. It's a start...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT