ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 - Where do Los Gatos, Milpitas rank vs WCAL?

Milpitas is legit - their lines might be the best in the CCS, it's a matter if they can stay disciplined. I think if you replaced Riordan and SHC with Milpitas and Los Gatos this year, both Milpitas and Los Gatos would finish top 3 in the WCAL.

Originally posted by Hatchball:
Milpitas is legit - their lines might be the best in the CCS, it's a matter if they can stay disciplined. I think if you replaced Riordan and SHC with Milpitas and Los Gatos this year, both Milpitas and Los Gatos would finish top 3 in the WCAL.
They'd probably finish in the upper tier anyway...

WCAL teams tend to get stronger later in the season. I would have to put money on any WCAL team to win against Milpitas and/or Los Gatos in the Open.

2008 - 3 WCAL entered Open Division and 3 advanced to semis
2009 - 5 WCAL teams in Open and 4 went to semis (2 WCAL played each other in 1st Rd)
2010 - 4 WCAL teams in open and 2 went to semis. (2 WCAL played each other in 1st Rd, Palo Alto wins State)
2011 - 3 WCAL teams in open and 3 went to semis (last year for voluntary "Opt Up")
2012 - 4 WCAL teams in Open and 4 went to semis
2013 - 4 WCAL teams in Open and 4 went to semis

This post was edited on 9/26 1:06 PM by HSS75

Re: WCAL 2014 - Monday morning team rankings Sept. 22

NCSF,

Where do you see that "Power points will be calculated for entry into Open Division"? They tried making changes but they were rejected.

The rules of entry into Open:
1. Open Division
a. The Open Division of the CCS will be an 8-team bracket the consists of the following teams:
(1) The A+ and A champions will be placed in Open Division
(2) The remainder of the 8-team brack will be filled by entering from the remaining A+ & A league teams entered into that years CCS Footbal Playoffs, the A+ & A league teams with the highest CCS Point totals as calculated in accordance with Section 5 herein.

What did change is how the seedings and 1st round game hosts and as are you wrote:

"- All seeding based on power points.

- First round - if one team is league winner (league winner is host). If both are league winners-higher PP hosts.

- If neither team is league winner-higher PP hosts."

This post was edited on 9/26 3:17 PM by joebl

Originally posted by Rmbr26:
The Mitty vs Pitt game will be televised on HighSchoolCube tonite at 7:00 according to their site.

Looking for Los Gatos - St Mary's but so far not seeing that is televised anywhere.
So far HighSchoolCube is not broadcasting due to "technical difficulties" - so previous 2 weeks Prep2Prep failed to deliver on games as advertised and now so far HighSchoolCube is a DUD as well - as previously mentioned - Don't these guys ever check equipment before game time??

5 more minutes & I opt & pay for Los Gatos-St. Mary's game which I'd be watching already had I known Mitty-Pitt was simply N/A - very disappointing to say the least...

Yes. Disappointing to say the least...If I'm not mistaken, it's on the school for producing the broadcast. HS Cube is simply a vehicle to broadcast the game. Maybe we can use IrishCheers login for the St. Marys game. Haha

The Mitty vs Pitt game will be televised on HighSchoolCube tonite at 7:00 according to their site.

Looking for Los Gatos - St Mary's but so far not seeing that is televised anywhere.
So far HighSchoolCube is not broadcasting due to "technical difficulties" - so previous 2 weeks Prep2Prep failed to deliver on games as advertised and now so far HighSchoolCube is a DUD as well - as previously mentioned - Don't these guys ever check equipment before game time??

5 more minutes & I opt & pay for Los Gatos-St. Mary's game which I'd be watching already had I known Mitty-Pitt was simply N/A - very disappointing to say the least...

Originally posted by jordan24:
Yes. Disappointing to say the least...If I'm not mistaken, it's on the school for producing the broadcast. HS Cube is simply a vehicle to broadcast the game. Maybe we can use IrishCheers login for the St. Marys game. Haha

________________________________________________________________________________

OK Jordan this isn't even funny any more. The HighSchoolCube site now says the game is "Unavailable".

OK I go to option #2 and go to NFHS "PlayOnSports" network and subscribe to the Los Gatos-St. Mary's game -for which the site charges my credit card & then the picture is terrible with the NFHS logo plastered in middle of picture- ARGHHH!! No ph# [of course- just an email address to request they reverse the charge on my credit card for no service].

BTW from the audio St. Mary;s cannot stop Los Gatos & LG dominating the line of scrimmage.
Man Joey Wood is the real deal and just hurdled a SM defender for 14 yard gain.

Los Gatos 10-0 in first quarter.

Re: WCAL 2014 -NFHS Login

Try this link for NFHS: It's good for a year for all games the site has
party0005.r191677.gif
This post was edited on 9/27 9:59 AM by Irish_Cheers

SHC TV

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:

Try this link for NFHS: It's good for all games they have.
That is great! Thanks Irish !!

Regarding the Mitty - Pitt game it sounds as if Mitty was lucky to survive with a win. Mitty did not have a first down in the first 1/2 of game & managed only 19 yards of offense. The first Mitty TD was set up off an INT return of 21 yards by Mitty's Luke Allen to the Pitt 4 yard line where Dakari Monroe took it in from the 3 for the TD to tie the game. In the 4th after a shanked punt and penalty Mitty had 2nd down at the Pitt 1-yard line and Pitt held them on 3 downs to take over possession [so Mitty was stopped at the 1 yard line on 3 tries]. Mitty's other score came in the 4th after Luke Allen broke off a 40 yard run + a penalty and Allen then took it in from the 2 for the winning score 13-7. Pitt drove to the Mitty 25 in the closing seconds before another Mitty interception ended the drive. On both of Mitty's scores the Monarch's were aided by Pitt penalties.

So obviously a defensive game, but leaves some questions as to Mitty's offense. One score was set up by an interception & return and then Allen for Mitty had the big play of the game with the 40 yard run. For those who saw the game is Pitt's D that dominating or does Mitty just have a lackluster offense this year? I also heard that Tommy Hudson the big Mitty DE/TE was hurt in the game - anyone have an update on that? Going off stats for the first 2 games and the big plays last night Mitty's Luke Allen appears to be their primary weapon on offense. While I do not have stats for last nights game yet it doesn't appear Mitty is making full use of Dakari Monroe or Tommy Hudson the 2 most hyped players on the team pre-season. Dakari Monroe one of the most exciting players in the WCAL had 12 rushes for 46 yards, 3.8 YPC in the first 2 games + 5 passes for 104 yards while Tommy Hudson had one catch for 27 yards in the first 2 games. For Mitty's offense to get on track it appears they need to involve both players more in their offensive scheme. Mitty's D played shut-down in the 2nd 1/2 against Pitt, now if Mitty's offense can find a way to score some more TD's then the Monarch's should be one of the contending teams in the WCAL.

Rmbr- I attended the game last night and it was a fierce battle. To answer your question, Pitts defense is the real deal. I believe they pitched two shutouts in a row and I think every team they play will have problems putting up points against them. Their secondary is lead by one of the top safeties in the country Shurod Thompson, who has offers from almost every Pac12 school. They also had a huge physical line that opened up some holes for their rb. Mitty's game against Los Gatos Monroe was not used as much as they could have used him. In the blowout Palo Alto win he was limited also as the game was over in the first quarter. This game against Pitt he got alot more touches for positive gains on sweeps and one pass, so this could be a sign of more to come. I could be wrong but I think Mitty only completed two passes the whole game! Hudson didn't have one ball thrown his way which is strange, but he got injured which appeared to be his knee. He was up walking around on the sidelines, so I don't know the severity of the injury. They need to get him involved for sure. He's too big of a target not to get any touches. Mitty needs to get a pass game going as you said, especially when you have the returning WCAL "receiver of the year" on your team. Luke Allen has been effective plowing through the middle as a fullback because it seems defenses are keying on Monroe taking off on the outside. They also have a back #5 that reminds me of Kyle Evans. They have the same build and stature and he looked good as well. Turnovers hurt both teams with fumbles and ints on both sides. In the second half Mitty opened up the offense a little more and it worked. If it weren't for fumbles Mitty could have beaten Pitt by more than one TD. This was a very good game to watch if you like hard hitting defenses. Mitty's defense looks very good and could rival St Francis's for tops in the WCAL. Small, but very physical. I would say at this point Mitty is right at the top and if they can improve their pass game they will be very tough to stop. Big win for the WCAL.
This post was edited on 9/27 11:21 AM by PAL95

Re: WCAL 2014 - Opening week of WCAL League Play

PAL95 - very good feedback from Mitty vs Pitt game and gives fans some good insight on how the game went. so thanks again!

Some good battles brewing for the opening week of WCAL League play and I look forward to a number of games that will answer so many fans questions including mine.

Mitty beats Pitt in a defensive battle which should tell everyone that Mitty is for real. Los Gatos the #1 rated team in CCS falls to St. Mary's - Stockton whom St. Ignatius took down in double O/T the prior week which lets everyone know SI is the real deal.

So in week #1 of WCAL we are looking at some key games with Serra at Valley Christian which IMO is the toughest game to predict [I would encourage all the Valley Christian predictors of this being the Warrior's Year to post a prediction of the score].
Is one team over -rated and the "Great Pretender"? or was the Milpitas win over VC simply a game where everything went wrong for the VC Warrior's? Serra played respectively against 2 very tough teams & lost and had a blow out win over an out-manned SSF team. Who is the real deal in this game?

Next up will be Bells at SI's home turf on Saturday which is a very interesting game as well. Bells have 3 victories and 1 solid win and SI has 3 victories as well with a win over St. Mary's the best team of the 6 teams these 2 teams have faced. St. Mary's tough win over Los Gatos puts this game in a whole new light as SI just might be better than anyone thought. Based upon history just about everyone will favor the Bells in this contest & this is in SI's favor to once again upset a team coming into their home turf expecting a win.

SHC is at Mitty Friday nite in which the Irish will finally be tested against a team with a defense better than Pittsburgh as it turns out - a tall order for the Irish to score points. In their favor Mitty has had trouble scoring points, so it is all about special teams and creating turn-overs Irish. Mitty will not lie down and expects to win with their fans unless you create some opportunities to keep you in the game.

Riordan travels to St. Francis, a less than hospitable atmosphere for visiting WCAL teams. Riordan is better than some fans give them credit for and SF had a less than desirable performance against the one credible team they faced in Palma. Its possible Riordan could give the Lancers a run for their money if they get some breaks & score a few points - ie: will need to come out strong and score the first points.

This post was edited on 9/29 10:04 PM by Rmbr26

Week 1 WCAL Predictions:

Archbishop Mitty 28 - Sacred Heart Cathedral 10
Mitty's defense is tough to score upon. LG is a high powered offense but Mitty kept them under wraps by limiting QB brown to only 77yards. Some miscues for Mitty in that game resulted into a loss. But the D came up big with high ranked Pitt with a win. I don't think Sheppard will be much of a factor in this so SHC will have to go to the air. Luckily SHC has a seasoned QB in White. SHC could make some waves but they need some help with special teams or turnovers their way.

Junipero Serra 21 - Valley Christian 31
Yeah, this is a tough one. Still picking Valley Christian to win. Serra is without Kava which brings them down a notch or two. It looks like VC's defense is not as formidale as if their big ILB Jese Osuna (let go from team) was in the lineup plugging the middle but they are still tough. Why is everyone anxiously waiting for Bishop to play? I think the Serra's starting QB is managing the team well.

Archbishop Riordan 7 - St Francis 21
I'm still not convinced St Francis' offense will go into high gear any time soon. It's very predictable and Riordan can stack the box on 1st and 2nd down because everyone knows 90% of time SF will run. I also don't think Riordan will make that much of a dent against SF defense unless they are successful passing. I heard most of the SF players are back ready to play with the exception of SF starting ILB Carbonel and RB/CB Mezaros who are out for the season. Big blow for the defense but they are still formidable. SF weakness on D will be defending the pass. If Riordan gets ahead by the 3rd, it would spell trouble for SF.

Bellarmine 24 - St Ignatius 28
I picked SI to be my dark horse and this is a game that can go either way. Bellarmine is Bellarmine. you know what they run. Can they stop it? SI had a darn good battle tested preseason and they will pull it out in another close game. But if the bells win, it's no surprise to anyone since they are the bells.
This post was edited on 9/30 9:54 AM by HSS75

HSS75 has some interesting takes on the upcoming games and 2 of the 4 are difficult picks. The projections have Mitty & St. Francis over SHC & Riordan by several TD's each while Serra-VC & Bells-SI are toss-ups with less than a TD separating the projected winners. I'll break down the games a bit more over the next 2 days, but here is a recap of where the teams presently stand as rated for the CCS.

Team & Record - Rating - Strength of Schedule - Opponents Win/Loss Record

St. Ignatius 3-0
Overall rating 46.4 - SOS = 30.4 Opponents Win/Loss Record = 7-6
Bellarmine 3-0
Overall rating 43.3 - SOS = 31.9 Opponents Win/Loss Record = 9-6
Serra 1-2
Overall rating 41.8 - SOS = 39.8 Opponents Win/Loss Record = 8-5
Mitty 2-1
Overall rating 40.0 - SOS = 27.5 Opponents Win/Loss Record = 7-6
VC 2-1
Overall rating 35.0 - SOS = 20.6 Opponents Win/Loss Record = 6-4
SF 2-1
Overall rating 27.8 - SOS = 13.6 Opponents Win/Loss Record = 6-5
SHC 3-0
Overall rating 25.4 - SOS = [-2.4] Opponents Win/Loss Record = 4-8
Riordan 0-3
Overall rating 3.6 - SOS = 25.7 Opponents Win/Loss Record = 9-3

WCAL Pre-Season Win/Loss record = 16 wins + 8 losses

This post was edited on 10/1 10:55 AM by Rmbr26

RIORDAN vs ST FRANCIS GAME PREVIEW:

St. Francis 2-1 is a 3 TD+ favorite over Riordan. Last year's game between the 2 teams won by SF 49-15.

St. Francis record:

SF 28 -0 over Oak Grove who is currently 0-3 and not especially good this year.
.SF 12 - Palma 21 in a Lancer Loss in which SF was favored & Palma dominated through-out the game - Palma now 4-0.
SF 35 - Skyline 7 and no surprises here, Skyline was over-matched and everyone knew it - Skyline now 2-2.

SF Game Stats to Date:
SF averaging 127 yards passing & 135 yards rushing per game or 262 yards offense per game with 11 TD's so far.

Kamalii Akina - QB is 19/23 passing for 383 yards & 82$ completion ration with 20 yard per avg completion
Rushing: Devin Hurtado 25/140 - 5.6 avg with 3 TD's
Devon Conty 25/94 - 3.8 avg -5 td's
C. Cassady 15/59 - 3.9
Note: SF's rushing per game averages only 3.8 yards per carry.

Receiving: Trill Hebert 10/255 - 25 YPC avg w/3 TD's
Joe Mihanovic 6/49 - 8.2 avg
Darius Thomas 4/85 - 21.3 APC w/3 TD's

Overview: SF wins games on Defense and is not going to scare anyone with their offense unless something drastically changes.
The QB Akina is not the scrambler his fans thought he might be causing havoc among other WCAL adversaries in the coming league season. SO far the stats indicate QB Akina has rushed/scrambled 15 times for 28 yards for a 1.9 YPC avg - so he is not the dangerous scrambler some thought he might be. The rishing stats are confined to just a few RB's and none appears to be a dangerous game breaker type RB. As for passing 3 WR's account for just about all the passing stats with Trill Hebert being the primary WR Riordan needs to cover even if it takes double coverage with help from a LB. SF Scores points off attrition by wearing down its opponents & playing good defense. If Riordan plays unconventional Riordan football and plays like there is nothing to lose with creative game calling & good defense then maybe they can stay close in this game. Stay conservative which fits into the SF game plan & things will probably not go well for the Crusaders.

Riordan Record:
Riordan 0 - Milpitas 28 in a loss that didn't look good until Milpitas dispatched Valley Christian 31-17. Milpitas now 4-0.
Riordan 7 - SHP 14 in a surprisingly close loss. Also surprising some fans cried SHP not that good this year while now 4-0.
Riordan 20 - MA 21 in a narrow loss to a traditionally good team, which is now 1-3.

Riordan Team Stats to Date:
Riordan averaging 66 yards passing & 137 yards rushing per game with 4 TD's or 203 yards offense per game.

Combined Passing Luavasa & Callero = 21/55 for 198 yards = 38 % completion ration, 9.4 avg & 6 INT's [need improvement].

Rushing: Raymone Sanders 54/299 - 5.5 avg & 1 TD
Jamaria Caston 10/51 - 5.1 avg & 2 TD'S
Jason Green 9/53 - 5.9 avg

Pass Receiving: Aiden Verba-Hamilton 7/83 - 11.9 APC
Jake Cockrane 6/61 - 10.2 APC

Overview: As you can see not that much separated the statistics of the 2 teams. SF is a low output offense and a typical stingy Defense while Riordan is playing respectable D and is having their own issues moving the ball consistently. Riordan as some fans have said needs to open up their offense a bit more and stats back this statement up. RB Sanders gets the bulk of the carries and opposing D's are keying on him as would be expected. The other 2 RB's Caston & Green have about equal YPC averages and should be getting equal carries in an attempt to spread out the carries and make the opposing D stop "fresh legs" on different carries - ie: quit putting the "load: strictly on Sanders. As for receiving spread the ball around a bit more as surely with this years Crusader's you have more than 2 WR's who can catch the ball. As I said pre-season the Crusader's need #1 to concentrate on Defense which they have done & a huge improvement from last season. Now #2 to spread the ball around and do the unexpected - give the ball to some of the players the opposing team is not expecting to get it [basic football - Offense class 101].

Conclusion & Prediction: I already believe this year's team is an improvement over the last 3 year's Masoli led Crusader's in that their overall performance is better unless I'm mistaken. Their defense has shown a marked improvement which is their #1 concern. #2 however is scoring points and being conservative & putting the load on just a few players is not going to get the job done. The Crusader's need to be tough on D and unconventional on offense at this point & take chances on special teams as well.
When you're projected to lose all 10 of your games this season what difference does it make it you make risky decisions.
All in all I think Riordan again gives it their best shot, but SF has an edge in experience.
Prediction: SF 28 - Riordan 13

This post was edited on 10/2 3:32 PM by Rmbr26

MITTY VS SHC GAME PREVIEW:

Mitty 2-1 is a 10-14 point favorite over the Irish coming in at 3-0. Last season Mitty won by 42-7.

Mitty Pre-season record:
Mitty lost its season opener by 21-13 to a very good and at the time under-rated Los Gatos team who is now 3-1 after their narrow loss to St. Mary's - Stockton.
Mitty took out their loss on Palo Alto the following week with a 55-14 mauling. Paly is in a down year and now 1-3.
In Mitty's 3rd game they surprised many fans by beating Pitt at their own game - tough Defense. Mitty prevails 13-7. Pitt is now 3-2 also losing to California.

Mitty Game Stats to Date:
Mitty is averaging 82 yards passing & 235 rushing per game for 317 yards combined offense.

QB Brett Foley is 12/32 passing for 247 yards & 2 TD's completing 37% with a QB rating of 64.

Rushing:
Mitty is averaging 7.5 yards per carry as a team each game.
Dakari Monroe has 23 rushes for 89 yards for a 3.9 APC and 1 TD.
Luke Allen is the feature RB and has 20 carries for 248 yards for a 12.4 APC and 3 TD's.
Derek Baverle has had 13 carries for 83 yards and a 6.4 APC and 1 TD.
QB Foley has 21 carries for 149 yards and 7.1 APC with 2 TD's.

Pass Receiving;
Dakari Monroe has 6 catches for 122 yards with a 20 yard reception average.

Mitty's D has 10 QB sacks in the first 3 games.

Overview:
Mitty and Pitt answered some questions in the 13-7 Monarch win. Similar to the Los Gatos game Mitty could only manage 2 scores, but does play very tough defense. Mitty does not appear to have a strong pass game and uses the QB FOley more as a runner than a passer. WIth only 12 completions MItty is averaging 4 completed passes per game and Monroe as the only primary WR with a few other WR's with 1 catch each. So Mitty does not have a high powered offense and will have to rely on its defense to limit how much the opposing team scores. Mitty uses 4 RB's including the QB Foley, however Luke Allen & Dakari Monroe are the big play threats which opposing teams should key on and attempt to put Mitty in 3rd and long in order to force the Monarch's to pass.

SHC Pre-season Record:
SHC opened the season with a 51-6 win over an under-manned Galileo team of SF, who is now 1-3.
Week 2 resulted in the Irish best win so far in a 35-14 win over Novato, who is now 2-3.
The final pre-season game resulted in a 38-7 win over Saratoga, who is now 1-2.

SHC Game Stats to Date:
The Irish enter league play averaging 109 passing and 355 rushing per game - total of 464 yards per game.

QB Logan White in his 3rd year is 16 of 30 passing for 329 yards & 3 TD's, completing 53% with a QB rating of 111.

Rushing:
Jamar WIlliams-Sheppard is the featured RB with 55 carries for 581 yards and a 10.6 APC & 7 TD's.
Joseph Jordan has 21 carries for 145 yards, 6.9 APC
Jay Na has 18 carries for 142 yards, 7.9 APC
QB White has 20 rushes for 72 yards, 3.6 APC.

Pass Receiving:
Ronan Murphy has 5 catches for 115 yards for a 23 YPC avg.
All other WR's show 3 or less receptions per game.
SHC is averaging 5 completions per game.

Overview: The Irish have overwhelmed their inferior competition to date and will now be introduced to the 2014 Mitty team.
Even though the opponents have not been the best competition the Irish had won all 3 games and done so convincingly. How many reserves played in these games and how many minutes is not clear. SHC appears better all the way around this season and we will soon see how much better. QB Logan White is a 3 year varsity player and a capable QB at that with a very high QB rating. It appears SHC and their success will depend heavily on the arm of QB White. While SHC has some good RB's the feature back is Williams-Sheppard whom teams will likely key on and SHC will need to have a pass game when this happens - which it surely will against tough defensive teams like Mitty. SHC's D has played well also, but again has not been tested by a ranked team. This will be the test for the Irish to step up and show they can compete with a top tier WCAL team.

Conclusion & Prediction: Last year's contest was a complete blow-out of 42-7 by Mitty and not many are expecting the same type of game this year - at least I am not. Mitty does not appear to have the same offense as last season and one reason could be the change in QB's, with Foley being more of a runner than a passer. MItty has been held to 2 scores in 2 of its 3 games although by Los Gatos & Pittsburgh. Other than Serra, Mitty has faced the 2 other rated/ranked teams while VC faced one ranked team in Milpitas. Mitty will likely try to shut down the SHC offense concentrating on their run game. SHC has the advantage at QB in passing and should do so from the start of the game. Since Mitty does not have a high powered offense its important for the Irish to key on field position and try to slow down MItty's run game. SO how many points can the Irish score against the Mitty D? Can SHC's D hold MItty to 2-3 scores where they may have a chance to stay with them into the 2nd 1/2? IF and a big IF the Irish can hold MItty scoreless for the first quarter then they have a chance of staying close within striking distance of the Monarch's. Granted it is a tall order for SHC to upset Mitty in this game and it will take some big plays and the luck of the Irish to do so.
Prediction: Mitty 24 - SHC 13
This post was edited on 10/2 7:20 PM by Rmbr26

Excellent preview RMBR. You are right about it possibly being a game if Mitty cant score points. Can their qb throw at all? Is there an injury? Or is this just the new head coaches style of play? I mean 12 completions in 3 games is like the old Serra offense! SHC has a chance if they can create turnovers and turn them into points.

ST. IGNATIUS VS BELLARMINE GAME PREVIEW:

Both teams come in at 3-0 and the Bells are a 1-3 point favorite in projections as well as most fans pick to win.

St. Ignatius Pre-Season Record:
SI opens the season with a mild upset & first win ever over Marin Catholic by 21-14 [MC record now at 3-2]
SI hangs on for a 27-24 win over Terra Nova in pay-back for last year's loss to TN [TN record now at 1-3]
SI fools all the critics by upsetting St. Mary's -Stockton in a huge double OT win by 27-24 [SM record now at 3-1]

SI Game Stats to Date: [incomplete stats by SI, but will give you a good idea].
SI is averaging 131 yards passing per game and approx. 100 yards rushing per game.
SI's QB Ryan Hagfeldt has been very efficient in completing 42 of 68 passes for 393 yards for a 64% completion ratio with 4 TD's and only 1 INT.

Rushing & Pass Receiving:
SI features 3 RB's all of whom have contributed in their 3 wins. Their break-away threat is Xavier Tharpe while their short yardage back is Brian Vollert, more of a fullback type. Danny Conte is the 3rd back who rotates with Xavier Tharpe.
While Hagfeldt spreads the ball around his primary WR's are Dylan Elder who's made some clutch catches in several of the Wildcats wins while RB Danny Conte has also caught a number of passes coming out of the backfield.

Overview: SI has been a bit inconsistent at times with their offense, but has been consistent in doing whatever is needed to win 3 close games. Hagfeldt was very efficient in the MC and St. Mary;s games, though a bit off vs Terra Nova [6/12 - 45 yards].
SI has a nice balance with their run/pass game and when Hagfeldt gets the hot hand he is very accurate & very good, especially with WR Dylan Elder. SI just might be the dark horse of the WCAL after all and we'll find out vs Bells who is the real deal.

Bellarmine Pre-Season Record:
Bells open the season with a mild upset in come from behind 42-28 over Franklin - Elk Grove [record now 2-2]
Bells dispatch a pesky San Leandro team with an efficient 28-17 win [SL now at 1-4]
Bells as expected roll over Piedmont Hills by score of 56-20 [Piedmont now 2-2]

Bells Stats to Date & Overview: Bells traditionally do not publish stats of any kind, however I will report game to game as WCAL play starts. Bells using a 2 QB system which has been effective so far. The Bells actually rotate the QB's on a play by play basis to bring in plays. As disruptive as it sounds it works for the Bells. The primary RB's are Guttadaro and Calomeni and the primary WR is Bringuel. The Bells do not appear to have any big offensive threats and have spread the scoring around so far and seem to play very well as a unit with quite a few good players up from last year's JV's. Janda as always makes the most of what he has and the Bells have surprised so far.

Conclusion & Prediction: This should be an excellent game to watch as all 3 of SI's games have been close. Unlike last season when SI lost 9 games, the Wildcats are more experienced and have a good leader in Hagfeldt and have learned how to finish games, as shown in the win over St. Mary's. Bells will try to grind it out on the ground primarily, but can pass as they've shown and will try to take advantage of any SI mistakes. I think SI has the advantage in the passing game and the ground games of the 2 teams are a toss up. SI may have just a bit better D than the Bells, so we'll see in what is expected to be a close game. Bells have put up more points offensively, but SI has had the tougher schedule.
Prediction: SI 28 - Bells 21

SERRA VS VALLEY CHRISTIAN GAME PREVIEW:

Serra coming in at 1-2 while VC is 2-1 and this game is rated a toss-up. Serra is projected to win by less than 3 by the computers, while the NCP's pick is also Serra by 3. The fans however by majority are picking VC and their high profile RB's to take down Serra tonite. Last season's meeting won by Serra 28-7.

Serra Pre-Season Record: 1-2
Serra as expected loses its opener to DLS by 41-13 [DLS 4-0]
Serra then travels to SoCal to lose by 24-14 to Notre Dame-Sherman Oaks. ND now 3-1.
Serra in more of a scrimmage than a game rolls over SSF by 50-0 [SSF now 0-4].

Serra Stats to Date:
Serra is passing for 156 yards per game and averaging 118 yards rushing with 14 TD's so far.
Serra's soph QB Leki Nunn is 47/97 - 466 yards for 48% completion ration with 3 TD's & 9 INT's.
Serra's turn-over ration is compounded by 7 fumbles to date lost, so ball handling is critical.

Rushing:
Serra lost its star RB Kava Cassidy in the 2nd game and we'll see tonight how Coach Walsh has made adjustments both offensively & defensively since Cassidy was a 2-way player.
QB Nunn has rush 34/75.
Lataimua has rushed 18/75.
Rodriguez has rushed 14/43.

Receiving:
McCoy has been the primary WR catching 15 balls for 227 yards & 2 TD's.
Monroe is the deep threat and has 5/77 so far.

Overview: The Padres are somewhat tough to gauge based upon their schedule so far. The HUGE question mark is of course their young inexperienced QB, who has played very well at times against 2 very good teams. Serra to date has shot themselves in the foot with an abundance of turn-overs [9 INT's & 7 fumbles = 16 turn-overs in 3 games = potential disaster vs Valley Christian].
Serra despite the sloppy ball handling has been passing the ball and averaging over 15 completions per game. The D has played very well and is better than most fans realize. The Padres could have the best defense in the WCAL based upon their first 2 games and we'll see tonite.

Valley Christian Pre-Season Record 2-1
VC opens season with blow-out win over Pioneer 55-0 [Pioneer now 2-1]
Next up VC rolls over Oak Grove 41-14 [OG now 0-3]
3rd game is a shocking loss by 31-17 vs Milpitas [Milpitas now 4-0].

VC Stats to Date:
Warrior's are passing for 79 yards per game and rushing for 287 yards per game.
QB Machado is 17/27 for 238 yards, 63% completions, 4 TD's & 0 INT's.

Rushing:
Kirk Johnson 40-420
Quinby 15-126
McCloud 14-135

Receiving:
Colin Johnson 11-182

Overview: Last season the Warrior's looked very good at times and not so good during a few of their game vs Serra & Mitty, getting blown out in both games. Last season the Warrior's had no passing game and so far QB Mike Machado has been very efficient with his passes. VC will try to establish their ground game and rely on their short passing game for 3rd downs and dependent on field position. Of the 17 passes Machado has completed 11 have gone to their tall WR Colin Johnson.
Most fans will be waiting to see if Kirk Johnson is able to run on Serra's D. There are question marks about VC's line after Milpitas dominated them in the upset loss. In the Milpitas game VC was only able to rush for 83 yards total & passed for another 43 yards.
VC relies on its run game having 4 excellent RB's and will need to get it going early in this one.

Conclusion & Prediction: I am somewhat amazed Serra has played as well as they have with the amount of turn-overs they have committed. If the Padres can somewhat minimize this aspect of their game then you will see a team that is very difficult to beat. Without RB Cassidy Serra's run game is not as good as VC's, but still good enough to run - Serra ran for 68 yards vs DLS and 74 vs Notre Dame -Sherman Oaks [without Cassidy] vs VC's 83 yards vs Milpitas. Serra has the edge in passing unless of course VC returns 3 interceptions for TD's & then game over. I am also going to give Serra the edge on D as they have played solid so far in allowing NDSO's less points that VC allowed Milpitas.
Prediction: Serra 24 - VC 14

WCAL Fans - All 4 games are advertised as being televised live stream tonite & tomorrow. As some of you read from my posts the last 2 weeks Prep2Prep failed to deliver on both Serra games while NFHS [PlayOnSports] had "technical difficulties" on several games as well. Hopefully tonight they'll finally have their act together.

Serra vs VC is on Prep2Prep at:

http://prep2prep.com/tv/serra/

Mitty vs SHC is on HighSchoolCube:

http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/sacred-heart-cathedral-archbishop-mitty-high-schoo-370517

St. Francis vs Riordan is on NFHS which requires one of their paid subscriptions [$9.95 for 1-day pass, $14.95 for a month to see all games televised]:

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/search?query=riordan

Bells vs SI tomorrow is on HighSchoolCube;

http://www.highschoolcube.com/schools/bellarmine-college-prep-school-san-jose-california

Final Serra 24 - VC 10 , I was not far off in my prediction of Serra 24 -14 VC fans.

SO Mitty- SHC was a very competitive & exciting game and the Irish nearly pulled it off - DAMN!!

Even more shocking Riordan was giving SF a run for their money late in the game - aren't there any ardent Crusader fans who can give us an update? Don't the Riordan fans care?? [JK!!]

Re: WCAL 2014 - Week 1: SI vs Bells, Serra vs VC Previews

After watching the Mitty SHC game, seeing how close the Riordan/St Francis game, and St Ignatius going undefeated in non-league play, these San Fran city schools can play this year. This year, there are no cupcakes. One wcal team needs to be prepared for everyone.

Originally posted by ds1968:
After watching the Mitty SHC game, seeing how close the Riordan/St Francis game, and St Ignatius going undefeated in non-league play, these San Fran city schools can play this year. This year, there are no cupcakes. One wcal team needs to be prepared for everyone.
Good post by ds1968 - too bad we can't get a final on the Riordan-SF game despite all the posts going back & forth all week long,
Maybe Ted Smithers can help us out if none of the Crusaders are up to the task, LOL!

Crazy how Mitty takes some starters out on offense while up 12 thinking it was in the bag. That RB from shc had a great game and credit SHCs Oline. He broke off three long runs without being touched. SHC should be able to steal a game this year. Also im suprised Peralta ran qb draws on 3 and 15! He should have been passing the ball more towards the end.

Good to see WCAL bottom-feeders from San Francisco (SHC and Riordan) becoming competitive in 2014. Good for the league and good for them. It's all positive.

Riordan's team looked just as good as SF and played well enough to win. SF played hard but they just dont have enough horses this year in the "right positions". They are definitely well down from the last two years. This is going to be a tough season for the Lancers. I have no doubt that they will play hard all season and there is no quit in this team.

This post was edited on 10/4 8:35 AM by WCAL75

So after Serra's win over VC last night and Mitty's performance vs SHC along with St. Francis narrow win over Riordan it would appear that the WCAL race will be between Serra and the winner of today's SI-Bells game. It appears there is much more parity in the WCAL this season and VC, Mitty and SF are all not quite as good as advertised while SHC and Riordan have shown marked improvement over last season. Both SHC & Riordan played well last night in close losses as opposed to getting blown out last year by those same teams. As for SHC, keep in mind that Mitty was coming off a win over Pitt & SHC was very impressive on offense.

Rmbr- while I respect and admire your posts I would have to disagree with you. This is the first game in league and I think its too early to crown champs. This is a marathon not a sprint. There are teams that are really banged up now and should get healthy soon. It is good to see the SF schools competing which in turn makes this year even more exciting. We will find out more today in the Bells SI game.

So after Serra's win over VC last night and Mitty's performance vs SHC along with St. Francis narrow win over Riordan it would appear that the WCAL race will be between Serra and the winner of today's SI-Bells game. It appears there is much more parity in the WCAL this season and VC, Mitty and SF are all not quite as good as advertised while SHC and Riordan have shown marked improvement over last season. Both SHC & Riordan played well last night in close losses as opposed to getting blown out last year by those same teams. As for SHC, keep in mind that Mitty was coming off a win over Pitt & SHC was very impressive on offense.

Originally posted by PAL95:
Rmbr- while I respect and admire your posts I would have to disagree with you. This is the first game in league and I think its too early to crown champs. This is a marathon not a sprint. There are teams that are really banged up now and should get healthy soon. It is good to see the SF schools competing which in turn makes this year even more exciting. We will find out more today in the Bells SI game.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Not a problem PAL as I'm stating what the stats and ratings reflect currently which is St. Ignatius, Serra & Bells in that order as the top WCAL teams. For me the jury is still out on the Bells & SI in regards to Mitty & VC down the road. I do feel that Serra IF they improve the QB position starting next week and with Kava Cassidy possibly ready to return come play off time is now the team to beat in WCAL.

I agree that Serra would be the team to beat also. Until the Bells or SI knocks off a VC, Mitty, or a Serra, they are in the middle of the pack. Im not saying they wont or cant, but it would paint a better picture on how this race will shape.

And here's the very good news: With Riordan and SHC displaying real competitive fire, there will be no cakewalks, no easy wins, no days off on the remaining WCAL schedule for anyone. That includes Serra, VC, Bellarmine and all the rest. A title tie appears to be very possible. Going through the league unbeaten also seems unlikely. Finally, the bottom portion of the league may be more than an afterthought.

Finally had the opportunity to see the SF vs Riordan game live. First off, Riordan was more pumped for the game than SF. They looked sharp and some were very vocal throughout warmup. They were ready to play. SF went about its business like they normally do.

The first QB that started for Riordan couldn't really scramble and when he did get sacked, that's when he lost two costly fumbles equating to 10 easy point for St Francis. Riordan played very good aggressive defense against a very conservative SF offense.

Riordan's two TD's came from KO TD return after SF scored. After stopping SF on the next series, Riordan got a big play from the RB for a long TD run. Riordan had a couple good drives through the length of field which is what you want to see from a team who wants to compete in the WCAL. Riordan is a much improved team that is for sure. Fast defense and a couple of fast RB. They had issues throwing the ball all night. The first QB was not a scrambler and the second was a scrambler (made some good quick thinking runs to keep drives alive) but his mechanics needs work. Both made HUGE errors. The first lost two fumbles, and the second made a mental mistake in getting an intentional grounding call that pushed Riordan back further on their last drive that stopped the momentum for possible FG to win.

SF were somewhat successful throwing the ball but what I noticed is that the play calling is inconsistent. Meaning, whatever plays that worked for SF they hardly went back to it. Whatever that didn't quite work, they stubbornly tried it over and over again. It's mind boggling. Most of the passing plays take long to develop and with a skeptical O-Line, the QB has to scramble or take the sack. I like what I saw with Canty and Perez as RB for SF. They are fast and run north and south. They are not your electrifying back but they run through holes hard. Hurtado is the opposite, he is a huge back that tries to avoids being tackled by running to the outside where he is not going to outrun the D and never going to be effective. He also had a costly fumble when SF was driving down the field in Riordans territory. Hebert is a big time WR. He makes plays happen and he even caught a tough pass near the sidelines and kept both toes in-bounds. Toes barely scrapping the grass for a critical 1st down.

I like Riordans defense. They were working out there trying to make things happen. I also like Riordans fast RBs. They have the ability to break away for big plays. BUT Riordan's passing game is inconsistent and needs work. If they improve on passing, they can mix it and keep opponents guessing.

It's league play and SF players seemed to be acting like they were in an intramural game. I also counted 10 players not dressed. Not sure if they were starters or not but I heard there were 2 starting corners that did not play and two starting LBs are still missing action. I have my doubts if they will actually improve the defense but right now SF D is very susceptible for small speedy RBs.

All in all, it was a very entertaining WCAL game. Riordan almost pulled an upset but it was fun when they were in the lead past the 3rd QTR. My prediction was if Riordan is leading in the 3rd qtr, SF will be in trouble. And sure enough it was true. SF was in trouble but pulled off a win with a 39 yard field no less. Right now my assessment for Riordan for the the rest of their league games is that it will be an uphill battle. The way SHC played against Mitty and by the looks of it, SI staying competive with Bells it will be tough. If they had a chance to win, their opportunity was last night. I now pick SF to be in the mid-lower bottom in WCAL.

The City schools played tough this weekend but in the end we have the teams we expected at the top in the WCAL standings.
This post was edited on 10/4 5:32 PM by HSS75

At some point, you're going to have to stop saying that teams who get played tough by Riordan and SHCP "aren't what we thought they were," and start saying, "Riordan and SHCP can play with any team in this league."

I'll give you all the time you need.

Originally posted by PurpleHaze13:
At some point, you're going to have to stop saying that teams who get played tough by Riordan and SHCP "aren't what we thought they were," and start saying, "Riordan and SHCP can play with any team in this league."

I'll give you all the time you need.
PurpleHaze - I can answer your post without having to spend time thinking about it. Nothing I said in the above post is not accurate.
In several posts I gave props to both SHC & Riordan for games well played, but the fact of the matter is both teams did lose the games. Both Mitty & SF suffered unexpected losses early in pre-season and many fans are questioning if these teams are as good as expected. Until that time when SHC & Riordan beat a team other than each other in league they remain at the lower tier of the WCAL. I understand your excitement of Riordan having a close game vs St. Francis and personally I would have liked to see the Crusader's get the upset win. Any predictions PurpleHaze as to this week's game: Riordan vs SHC? Can the Crusader's turn back the Irish once again? While I picked Riordan pre-season to win this game SHC looked very good vs Mitty.

PurpleHaze - I can answer your post without having to spend time thinking about it. Nothing I said in the above post is not accurate.
In several posts I gave props to both SHC & Riordan for games well played, but the fact of the matter is both teams did lose the games. Both Mitty & SF suffered unexpected losses early in pre-season and many fans are questioning if these teams are as good as expected. Until that time when SHC & Riordan beat a team other than each other in league they remain at the lower tier of the WCAL. I understand your excitement of Riordan having a close game vs St. Francis and personally I would have liked to see the Crusader's get the upset win. Any predictions PurpleHaze as to this week's game: Riordan vs SHC? Can the Crusader's turn back the Irish once again? While I picked Riordan pre-season to win this game SHC looked very good vs Mitty.
You did give props for being "improved" while the teams they've played are suddenly "not as good as we thought." That sounds like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Yes, both teams lost. Yes, this is not the time for moral victories. Believe me, i'm not at all excited about a team that is 0-4. It's maddeningly frustrating.

What I take issue with is the, now 4 week running, dialogue that the teams whom Riordan plays close are suddenly not that good. Riordan has consistently surprised prognositcators (yourself included). Then in an effort to save face for grossly underestimating Riordan, begin to attack the opponent, and in one instance, the WCAL as a whole.

If you look purely at the record, there is little difference between this year's Riordan team and those of the past 5-6 years. But i guarantee you, coaches around the league are taking notice. Riordan is no longer a second bye week on the schedule. Riordan is closing the gap by their level of play rather than a regression on the part of the teams they play. There's a world of difference in that distinction.

You did give props for being "improved" while the teams they've played are suddenly "not as good as we thought." That sounds like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Yes, both teams lost. Yes, this is not the time for moral victories. Believe me, i'm not at all excited about a team that is 0-4. It's maddeningly frustrating.

What I take issue with is the, now 4 week running, dialogue that the teams whom Riordan plays close are suddenly not that good. Riordan has consistently surprised prognositcators (yourself included). Then in an effort to save face for grossly underestimating Riordan, begin to attack the opponent, and in one instance, the WCAL as a whole.

If you look purely at the record, there is little difference between this year's Riordan team and those of the past 5-6 years. But i guarantee you, coaches around the league are taking notice. Riordan is no longer a second bye week on the schedule. Riordan is closing the gap by their level of play rather than a regression on the part of the teams they play. There's a world of difference in that distinction.
Rmbr26 isn't one of those Riordan haters, just FUBO and Smithers. And I believe FUBO is an alum?

While it is great that Riordan is competitive, I believe it is fools gold as they did not "build a sustainable program" in my opinion, but rather their most talented class since 2007 are now juniors. They may be even better next year but after that, the bottom drops. I hope I'm wrong but don't believe I am. Is there anything in the pipeline after the 2016 class? Daly made a concerted effort to bring in players, if that whole debacle didn't happen, Riordan would definitely be in better shape athletically. The new administrators hate football right? I read that on another Riordan thread, LOL!

Originally posted by SHgradSIdad:

Rmbr26 isn't one of those Riordan haters, just FUBO and Smithers. And I believe FUBO is an alum?

While it is great that Riordan is competitive, I believe it is fools gold as they did not "build a sustainable program" in my opinion, but rather their most talented class since 2007 are now juniors. They may be even better next year but after that, the bottom drops. I hope I'm wrong but don't believe I am. Is there anything in the pipeline after the 2016 class? Daly made a concerted effort to bring in players, if that whole debacle didn't happen, Riordan would definitely be in better shape athletically. The new administrators hate football right? I read that on another Riordan thread, LOL!
No, I don't believe Rmbr is a Riordan hater at all.

You are correct, this is not sustainable. Once Daly was removed from the equation, all hope of sustainable football success went with him. I'm not even sure they'll be better next season. They will lose quite a few senior contributors with nothing coming up from the lower levels.

Originally posted by SHgradSIdad:

Let's be 100% clear on something!!!!....I am NOT a Riordan hater...

I AM AN EXTREMELY PROUD NORCALPREPS.COM MESSAGE BOARD FANS OF RIORDAN HATER...There's a difference, you know...and I thought I made this clear on numerous occasions...

This post was edited on 10/6 11:17 AM by TedSmithers

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

Ted,

Did you make it clear before or after you made these comments regarding Riordan PLAYERS....

"Those 2 sophs were the same linemen who got their asses pummeled by Serra's...one of whom hobbled off the field crying like a baby. Yeah, they may be relatively big, but they are just oversized marshmallows. Serra didn't have any overly large linemen, but they play fast and ran circles around those 2 morons."

Ted,

Did you make it clear before or after you made these comments regarding Riordan PLAYERS....

"Those 2 sophs were the same linemen who got their asses pummeled by Serra's...one of whom hobbled off the field crying like a baby. Yeah, they may be relatively big, but they are just oversized marshmallows. Serra didn't have any overly large linemen, but they play fast and ran circles around those 2 morons."

You imbecile...Wasn't that a response to one of your (or someone else's) smart comments that they had 2 Soph studs that they were bringing up to Varsity? They weren't studs when I saw them the previous season as frosh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT