ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 - Game Predictions for Tonite Fri. &Sat. Sept 19-20

@SIGRAD I have never bashed a kid or kids. Never. The Riordan posters are all giddy over other teams losing or winning by how much or how little. The only stats they should be worried about include the historical WCAL won/loss record of their Head Coach, their 0 wins and 2 losses this year and their one TD scored in 8 quarters.

Originally posted by FUBO:
@SIGRAD I have never bashed a kid or kids. Never. The Riordan posters are all giddy over other teams losing or winning by how much or how little. The only stats they should be worried about include the historical WCAL won/loss record of their Head Coach, their 0 wins and 2 losses this year and their one TD scored in 8 quarters.
I hear you FUBO, I acknowledged you never bad mouthed the players. So it's clear you don't have a beef with Riordan, just General Lee.

Not a personal problem just facts. We wonder why Riordan thought his SHC WCAL won/loss record wouldn't continue at Riordan. Even SHC had enough. The "General" persona, toy choo choo train whistle stories etc etc gets old real fast. Let's see how year two goes.

Re: WCAL 2014 Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish

Originally posted by Rmbr26:
Games Predictions for Tonite's Games & Saturday:

SHC 2-0 vs Saratoga 1-1 The 3rd game of a weak pre-season schedule for the Irish. SHC weakest opponent of the 3 game pre-season schedule was Galileo [51-6 SHC win] and the strongest of the 3 Irish opponents was Novato last week [SHC 35-14 win]. Saratoga is rated somewhere in between the former 2 adversaries and should be prime material for the Irish to notch their 3rd decisive win.
Prediction: SHC 41 - Saratoga 7

Almost nailed that SHC score. Refs called a 37-yard FG no good. Still can't believe St. Mary's and Valley Christian being upended.

Now for all but one of Irish home games in Fogifica.

Games Predictions for Tonite's Games & Saturday:

Mitty 1-1 vs Paly 0-2 This game could get ugly early on as Mitty had 2 weeks to think about their opening game loss to Los Gatos. Palo Alto appears to be a shell of the teams it fielded the last several years & will have trouble scoring points against Mitty's D. Mitty rolls with a vengeance.
Prediction: Mitty 45 - Paly 7

Bells 2-0 vs Piedmont Hills 1-0 The surprising Bells in 2 wins scored 42 & 28 points against 2 good teams in Franklin Elk Grove & San Leandro. Piedmont Hills has a single game win scoring 41-21 over a somewhat weak Homestead team. Bells will score at least 28 tonite and Piedmont Hills will not score 41 against the Bells.
Prediction: Bells 45 - Piedmont Hills 14

SHC 2-0 vs Saratoga 1-1 The 3rd game of a weak pre-season schedule for the Irish. SHC weakest opponent of the 3 game pre-season schedule was Galileo [51-6 SHC win] and the strongest of the 3 Irish opponents was Novato last week [SHC 35-14 win]. Saratoga is rated somewhere in between the former 2 adversaries and should be prime material for the Irish to notch their 3rd decisive win.
Prediction: SHC 41 - Saratoga 7

SF 1-1 vs Skyline 1-1 Like Mitty the Lancers are still smarting from their unexpected loss to Palma after their expected win the previous win over Oak Grove. Skyline should not prove much of a challenge and SF should look to gets its offense in sync for the start of league play in 2 weeks.
Prediction: SF 35 - Skyline 7

VC 2-0 vs Milpitas 2-0 This game could very well be a replay of last year's game between the 2 teams in which VC prevailed 48-24. VC is supposed to be up this season while Milpitas could be a bit down. Tonite we get a better idea of how good VC is OR could VC be ripe for the upset following Mitty and then SF's losses?
Prediction: VC 45 - Milpitas 27

Serra 0-2 vs SSF 0-2 The Padres get a much need breather tomorrow afternoon on home turf after facing the 2 toughest opponents of the WCAL pre-season schedule the last 2 weeks. This game will be more about how coach Walsh will go about replacing star RB Kava Cassidy who also played DB for Serra. Expect to see some new faces getting carries as RB and for the young QB Leki Nunn to show his skills.
Prediction: Serra 45 - SSF 0

SI 2-0 vs St. Mary's - Stockton 2-0 SI comes in as a decisive underdog in this game, but then again SI was the underdog the last 2 games vs Terra Nova & Marin Catholic. While SI has a shot in this game expecting an upset again maybe asking too much a 3rd time around. Then again last season SI suffered numerous close losses, so maybe this year the ball bounces their way more often.
Prediction: St. Mary's 35 - SI 21
Final Scores of Games this weekend:

Milpitas 31 - Valley Christian 17
SHC 38 - Saratoga 7
SF 35 - Skyline 7
Bells 56 - Piedmont Hills 20
Mitty 35 - Paly 14
SI 27 - St. Mary's 24 - Double OT
Menlo Atherton 21 - Riordan 20
Serra 50 - SSF 0

Freeman Rankings for CCS after 3 games
[Mitty still has Pitt game next Friday nite prior to WCAL League Oct. 3rd]

Team/Record - Power Rating - Opponents W/L Records - Strength of Schedule "SOS"

SI - 3-0, PR = 43.9, Opponents = 4-6, SOS = 26.7
Bells 3-0, PR = 43.6, Opponents = 4-5, SOS = 25.1
Serra 1-2, PR = 41.9, Opponents = 7-3, SOS = 38.5
Mitty 1-1, PR = 39.5, Opponents = 4-2, SOS = 30
VC 2-1, PR = 35.2, Opponents = 5-3, SOS = 20.4
SF 2-1, PR = 25.8, Opponents = 4-4, SOS = 11.3
SHC 3-0, PR = 25.8, Opponents = 3-7, SOS = [minus -0.9]
Riordan 0-3, PR = 5.3, Opponents = 7-2, SOS = 28.7

Recap: So quite a few surprises with 7 of the 8 WCAL teams concluding non-league play this weekend. Both SI & the Bells are a surprising 3-0 which few if any fans thought possible. Mitty, SF & VC all go down in games they were favored to win with perhaps the biggest upset being VC's domination by Milpitas in a 2 TD loss. Looking at the teams records and above opponents and their own win/loss records it looks as though the WCAL could be a bit down this season. Certainly teams can bounce back towards the end of the season although traditionally the WCAL has fared well against outside competition early in the season. Last season SF was upended by Los Gatos to end the season and Mitty as well went down to Los Gatos to start the 2014 season. With Los Gatos big 35-14 win over a good San Benito team this weekend Los Gatos is now ranked the #1 team in CCS. Until we see further results from VC it is hard to judge Milpitas, but they can't be ignored as well in regards to the better WCAL teams. SI has had 3 close wins over solid competition and found ways in each game to win, which makes SI a dangerous team - maybe not the most talented, but cohesive enough to overcome obstacles and overcome perhaps more talented teams [such as St. Mary's - Stockton]. The Bells have been impressive in all 3 victories and none of the scores have been close with Bells simply pulling away and outscoring their adversaries. The Bells are using an unusual 2 QB system on every play, but the ever creative coach Janda has it working. SF is a bit hard to judge at this point in time as we have yet to know how good Palma really is. At this time Serra is the hardest team to judge based upon their schedule. In playing DLS & Notre Dame - Sherman Oaks Serra has played both teams better than the other teams each has played - DLS winning over Jesuit by 63-0 and Del Oro by 52-0 and Byrnes of Missouri by 56-28 while Serra lost to DLS by 41-13 [the same point differential as Byrnes who was highly rated]. NDSO's crushed their other 2 opponents 70-34 & 56-6 while beating Serra 24-14. Serra's victory by 50-0 over SSF is not a good measuring stick as SSF is 0-3 and the blow-out was predictable. SHC is also hard to judge based upon their schedule of opponents and will have a difficult time again in WCAL play. As SHC was predicted to win its 3 games against weak opponents Riordan was also projected to lose their 3 games against much better teams [see "strength of schedules" above]. Riordan lost to Milpitas by 4 TD's while Milpitas won against VC by 2 TD's, although Riordan held Milpitas to less points scored - so a positive note for Riordan's D. Riordan also played SHP now 3-0 well in a 14-7 loss and then yesterday lost 21-20 to MA in a game which went down to the wire.

With only the one game of Mitty vs Pittsburgh next Friday nite at Mitty the other 7 WCAL teams have a week off to prepare for the league openers Oct. 3rd & 4th. Mitty & Pitt are almost rated as even so should be a good and entertaining game. The Serra vs VC game loses a bit of its luster with the VC loss while the Bells vs SI game on SI's home turf becomes a very big home opener for both teams. The other 2 games not as anticipated will be SHC at Mitty and then Riordan at SF.

Re: WCAL 2014 - Results & Recap of Games Sept. 19-20

memea08acc8daa437fea.jpg

Monday Morning WCAL Rankings - Sept. 22nd

St. Ignatius will no doubtfully enter all the NorCal rankings for NCP's, MaxPreps, etc. now at 3-0 after taking down St. Mary's - Stockton in double OT. So where does that leave VC, Mitty, SF and Serra with their losses? Also Bells with 3 solid wins will remain solid in rankings and move up with VC's loss.

In terms of rankings and order of WCAL teams headed to league play here is statistically where they line up:

1 - Bells
2 - Serra
3 - SI
4 - VC
5- Mitty
6 - SF
7 - SHC
8 - Riordan

I've looked at the stats and who the teams have played so far and everything seems to favor the Bells now as the team to beat. Serra as I've said is difficult to rate based on their schedule and also now with the loss of their top RB Kava Cassidy.
SI is a remarkable 3-0 and played their best game yet in beating favored St. Mary's. So Bells & SI have clearly exceeded expectations while VC, Mitty & SF have all lost games their fans expected them to win. Will the Bells return to dominance in the WCAL after being projected to finish in the lower tier of the WCAL this season? Can SI continue to surprise and challenge the other top teams in league? Were any of the losses to VC, Mitty & SF simply a fluke and one of them will come back strong in league play? The picture is pretty murky at this point with the Bells playing the best football followed by SI.

Looking at the rankings above who do you think is ranked too high - too low?

1 - Bells
2 - Serra
3 - SI
4 - VC
5- Mitty
6 - SF
7 - SHC
8 - Riordan
Wow, SI ranked that high???...How is that so???

We had SHC and Jackrabbit fans ranking them lower than themselves...SI was pegged as the bottom of the bottom feeders...

P.S. As usual, excellent analysis, Rmbr!

Re: WCAL 2014 - Monday morning team rankings Sept. 22

Rmbr,

It is a crapshoot right now. I do think SI might be a little too high. Both Terra Nova and Marin Catholic aren't as good as usual this year.

Case in point with Marin Catholic. They had a common opponent with SHC in Novato, and played them one week after SHC in Novato this past weekend. Novato gave Marin Catholic a scare. It was tied 7 to 7 at half, then MC had a 14 to 7 before scoring late in the game to win 21 to 7. Novato had several drives into red zone in 2nd half and came up empty.

SHC dominated Novato going up 28 to 7 at half and leading 35 to 7 before emptying the bench to win 35-14.

Looking forward to letting the games decide.

1. Bells- Posted one solid win on the road after being down big at the half. the other two games were not good teams especially San Leandro without UCLA commit Johnson. I would drop them to #3
2. Serra- They are battle tested and banged up with Cassidy being out for the year. I still think they have capable backs that could spell him or be even better. Cassidy was a big back, but not that fast. They have scored against some very good defenses and have somewhat held their own on defense against state ranked teams. Serra is the team to beat in my eyes.
3. SI- Nice win past friday, but competition not the best in preseason. They are 3-0 now, but could be easily 3-3 judging from their first 3 league games.
4. VC- Hard to make an excuse with such a talented team, but five turnovers and losing four of them is tough to overcome for any team. You have to credit Milpitas. I said it before, and I think even without Cassidy Serra beats VC in week one. VC should still have a very good season and a chance for a open championship.
5. Mitty- Kind of like VC, just turned the ball over too much against Los Gatos. Found some offense against Palo Alto this past friday putting up 55 points, the most since the 2010 season. Problem is Palo Alto is not the same as past years. We will find out if Mitty is for real next friday vs Pitt which will be a defensive battle.Pitts only loss was a overtime game. If Mitty wins they are up with Serra and VC.
6. SF- Still a mystery team in my eyes because of the loss to Palma. Every team has injuries to overcome but losing 7 starters is tough. I don't know when these players will be back so I would say SF is a middle of the pack team until proved otherwise. Fully healthy they can contend.
7. SHC- Weak preseason schedule but gives this team confidence going into league play. QB play is pretty good and they have a solid RB. Can they beat someone other than Riordan this year? It will be interesting to say the least.
8. Riordan- Played a solid preseason which should prepare them for league play. They could be 2-1 right now taking two close losses to SHP and MA. Can they get one win in league this year? Maybe if their defense has a game where they are causing lot of turnovers because the offense still looks stale. Hopefully they can pull of one win in league play or at least keep scores out of blowout range.

"In terms of rankings and order of WCAL teams headed to league play here is statistically where they line up:

1 - Bells
2 - Serra
3 - SI
4 - VC
5- Mitty
6 - SF
7 - SHC
8 - Riordan
__________________________"

Looks like a fair assessment to me. But instead of a four team race to the top of WCAL, its five teams. (Serra, SF, Mitty, VC, and now the Bells) I picked SI as my dark horse to make one or two upsets but would pick them 6th. Marin Catholic and Terra Nova are wins but are they quality wins? Terra Nova just got hammered by Pioneer who in turn got blown away by VC 2-3 weeks ago. SI squeaked by against TN. Los Gatos plays St Mary's next week so it will shed some light how good SM is.

Still picking VC as the top pick. To beat VC is to score early. Mipitas did that and did more on D. VC will learn from this and is still a top 5 team in CCS. Bells will be second. I thought they would have trouble scoring but they have no problem so far. They are a dangerous team. Unfortunately, SF is in deep trouble. Their weakness is their offense (due to play calling from head coach) and by what I saw on film, they don't have a deep bench or is non existent. The Juniors were never really good freshman and JV years and it shows this year. None were ever called up last year which is the reason why they called up a few sophomores this year. All this talk about how good DL Toki is in the Pre-Season, well I have not seen or heard much from him the last two games. Kind of disappointing. Makes you wonder who actually gives these athletes star ratings.

VC vs Serra and Bells vs SI are great match-ups and will answer most of our questions about their strength.
SF vs Riordan - I can see this a low scoring game. SF offense kind of anemic while Riordan's defense is getting stronger.
Mitty vs SHC - Mitty is the favorite here but curious how SHC offense will do since they've been blowing up the scoreboard lately.

1. VC
2. Bells
3. Mitty
4. Serra
5. SF
6. SI
7. Riordan
8. SHC
This post was edited on 9/22 6:19 PM by HSS75

My take of rankings/order of WCAL heading into the League opener in two weeks:
VCSerraBellsMittySISFSHCRiordan
Week 1 Matchups:
VC - Serra: VC will look to right the ship vs Serra. Team is deep at the RB position and should bode well for the weekly league grind. Cassidy's injury a significant blow for Serra on both sides of the ball. Will test the depth of the Padres, but nevertheless I am not counting them out. VC wins this round as they are at home.SI - Bells: Game is a toss up for me, but I give the slight advantage to SI as it is their home game. They also know they can beat a Bells team given their recent history.Mitty - SHC: Wakeup call for the Irish as they finally play a contending football team. With Mitty's new field, does that mean they will not be playing at Foothill College? Either way, should be a close game with Mitty winning by 10 pts. Irish seem to have that double wing O down after 2 seasons, and will be a good test to see if being successful against high caliber competition.SF - Riordan: Game will be close and low scoring, but see SF sealing the win in the 4th qtr. Does Gen Lee show some flexibility and solicit O play calling to Coach Fordon or possibly switch roles from OC to DC to jumpstart the offense? Looking forward to the matchups in the trenches in this one.

St. Ignatius will no doubtfully enter all the NorCal rankings for NCP's, MaxPreps, etc. now at 3-0 after taking down St. Mary's - Stockton in double OT. So where does that leave VC, Mitty, SF and Serra with their losses? Also Bells with 3 solid wins will remain solid in rankings and move up with VC's loss.

In terms of rankings and order of WCAL teams headed to league play here is statistically where they line up:

1 - Bells
2 - Serra
3 - SI
4 - VC
5- Mitty
6 - SF
7 - SHC
8 - Riordan

Looking at the rankings above who do you think is ranked too high - too low?

Originally posted by jordan24:

SF - Riordan: Game will be close and low scoring, but see SF sealing the win in the 4th qtr.
Can't wait for the Quixscore/ScoreStream to tell the story...

@Jordan24 Who said? -It won't be the coaches fault this year if the players don't perform well and on and on- The best preparation ever and on and on-. Now three games into the season you are advocating that the HC give up being the OC and take over the defense so the DC can take over the offense. That is called a program shittstorm that would bring it to the comical level.

This post was edited on 9/22 7:17 PM by FUBO

@ FUBO: It wasn't me. That said, the Crusaders have been in every game and should be 2-1. I am a Crusader supporter and quite frankly was disappointed in the original hiring of Coach Lee, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. The team has improved, but the offense is simply ineffective with no creativity at all. Coach Fordon has coached Offense in his previous stints, my take is that if something is not working and Lee has a track record of low-scoring offenses, he better realize this and be able to step out of his comfort zone and solicit offensive advice from his assistants. I am agreement with you, as I am also looking at the facts that are present at this point in time. Not sure what your profession is, but everyone has a performance review based on metrics - be it sales targets, project goals or wins/losses. With that as the measuring stick, and with your job and/or team's success on the line - you better look at other options if they are available to you, since what you've been doing is not working. That's what anyone should do to improve their situation - not a shittstorm.

This post was edited on 9/22 7:51 PM by jordan24

Seeking advice is one thing. The HC/OC switching coordinator positions with his AC/DC midway through the season? That's not going to happen JorJor.

1 - Bells
2 - Serra
3 - SI
4 - VC
5- Mitty
6 - SF
7 - SHC
8 - Riordan

I've looked at the stats and who the teams have played so far and everything seems to favor the Bells now as the team to beat. Serra as I've said is difficult to rate based on their schedule and also now with the loss of their top RB Kava Cassidy.
SI is a remarkable 3-0 and played their best game yet in beating favored St. Mary's. So Bells & SI have clearly exceeded expectations while VC, Mitty & SF have all lost games their fans expected them to win. Will the Bells return to dominance in the WCAL after being projected to finish in the lower tier of the WCAL this season? Can SI continue to surprise and challenge the other top teams in league? Were any of the losses to VC, Mitty & SF simply a fluke and one of them will come back strong in league play? The picture is pretty murky at this point with the Bells playing the best football followed by SI.

Win-Loss & Stat Rankings vs Rmbr26 personal pre-season picks:

How did the NorCal rankings react to this last weekend's games? As expected Serra stayed about where they were, the Bells moved up and SI entered everyone's rankings for the first time while VC plummeted after the decisive loss to Milpitas - whom also entered the rankings pictures of the best 20 teams in NorCal.

As a reminder to some fans my rankings above posted for Monday morning are strictly based upon stats regarding the teams win/loss records and not who I would expect to win in head-to-head match-ups. Serra for example is rated highest of the WCAL teams based upon last season's record & CCS Open Championship and how they played DLS & Notre Dame -Sherman Oaks although both games were losses. Serra started out high and remains there until another WCAL team proves otherwise. Likewise VC started out very high for the same reasons and their stable of 4 quality RB's being perhaps the best group in NorCal - until the unexpected loss to Milpitas last week. Bells have scored a lot of points and not had a close game so far, though some question their schedule with San Leandro being less than advertised and Piedmont Hills being the proverbial punching bag of the Bells - so the Bells rankings & ratings are pretty much based primarily on their win over Franklin - Elk Grove [who BTW does look to be a quality win].

I see VC, Mitty & SF all as big question marks at this stage and can only go by the season ending games for 2013. VC for example had a bad semi-final loss to Mitty in CCS and VC had most of the skill players they have now although Kirk Johnson was injured [Mitty's QB was not playing at full strength in the game as well]. VC also had a decisive loss to Serra during regular season. Mitty only lost to Serra during during the 2013 season and was without its QB in the championship game, while SF lost decisively to Los Gatos in the Div. II championship. Bells have a lot of talent up from their JV team and overall appear to be a more balanced team. Mitty could not keep up with Los Gatos offensively and St. Francis had problems with Palma on both sides of the ball.

So in contrast to my statistical & win/loss rankings above I'll revert back to my pre-season prediction which really hasn't changed much despite the 3 games with some minor shuffling on the lower end.

Rmbr26 Picks entering WCAL League Play:

1-Serra
2- Mitty
3- VC
4- Bells
5 - SI
6 - SF
7- SHC
8 - Riordan

Your rankings entering league play looks spot on except Mitty has one more game against Pitt which could tell us more about the Monarchs. If they get beat soundly then Mitty could be in trouble in league play. This game is an excellent measuring stick for Mitty.

Originally posted by PAL95:
Your rankings entering league play looks spot on except Mitty has one more game against Pitt which could tell us more about the Monarchs. If they get beat soundly then Mitty could be in trouble in league play. This game is an excellent measuring stick for Mitty.
PAL - you're exactly right about the Mitty-Pitt game and same goes for Los Gatos-St. Mary's. The bottom line is like Milpitas we just do not know just how good Los Gatos is - except 2 wins in a row over WCAL teams SF to end the 2013 season & over Mitty to start the 2014 season. These games will answer an awful lot of questions based upon the records of Pitt & St. Mary's & whom they've played.

Out of town for a few days but looking forward to posting a preview of both games in next few days and posting predictions as well.

Rmbr26,

Based on what you have seen, where does Milpitas and Los Gatos fit in this rankings? More about who is the best team and not just win-loss performance.

I'm just curious how the CCS Open shapes up this year. I know its
early. Typically, there are at least 4 WCAL teams in the Open the past
few years. If Milpitas and Los Gatos win out their remainder games with
the exception of one of them will have a loss when they play each other
in league play, do you think both will be placed in the Open? That
would only put 3 WCAL teams in the Open. (?) I know there are many
factors that teams can qualify so Milpitas or Los Gatos will get an
auto-bid by winning their "A" League and one will be based on points.(?)
It would definitely be great to see them battling out the best teams in
the Open. A rematch of Miliptas vs VC and LG vs Mitty would be fun.
(If VC and Mitty qualifies of course)

Open Divsion for both Milpitas and Los Gatos

It is early but this is a good discussion. I wanted to check a couple of facts according to CCS rules and discovered that CCS has removed its Football Bylaws for review. The critical issue about getting both Los Gatos and Milpitas depends on how CCS works out its league classification for CCS powerpoints. If WCAL remains as a A+ league, it will be hard for both Los Gatos and Milpitas in get into the Open division for playoffs. If however CCS does away with the A+ classification, then both Los Gatos and Milpitas will get into Open with only one loss. BTW, the only reason I can think CCS would have pulled their Football Bylaws is to rework the Open division playoff rules. The 2014 modified rules for Open division were unorthodox to the point that either CCS or possibly CIF might have decided to change them back to its orginal layout. IF that happened, changes like eliminating the A+ classification and even the elimination of the Open division might be considered right now.

Re: Open Divsion for both Milpitas and Los Gatos

If they do go back to the old opt in rules then there will be all kinds of maneuvering by the D2 size schools if they want to get a play in game nomination.

CIF has been clear on only allowing section champions to be eligible for play in games and limiting an "Open" section champion to an Open or D1 slot.

A one loss Los Gatos and/or one loss Milpitas team would be in the Open based on points. I don't have the math but both being in "A" leagues it's unavoidable. Not sure how many WCAL teams would make it...they used to "opt up" to the Open on principle, but recent history shows otherwise. I'm guessing because of the regional playoffs, teams would rather play in their enrollment if possible, for shot at a state game.

Hatchball, Might have to do the math on that one. WCAL teams get an extra 3.5 points from A+ league games and I believe only the last 10 games are counted

New Proposed for CCS Open Division - All teams will be seeded in order of their power points

According to CCS alignment for 2014/2015 season for football:

WCAL = A+
A leagues = MBL Gab, BVAL - Mt Hamilton, SCVAL DeAnza, PAL Bay

The teams playing in the WCAL and A leagues (and those A league teams with wins over WCAL teams in nonleague games against A league teams get a little bump if win or their nonleague game teams win their league). Wins over A and A+ league teams nonleague or in league ups the power points. Defeating league winners in nonleague games and winning records is also a benefit in some cases by bumping them up in league classification and bumping up points for a win.

Looks like CCS Open Division is going to be similar to last year when it hashes out.

Starting out, it looks like the top 4 or 5 WCAL teams will be in the mix due to A+ league status, although winner of the WCAL this season may have a couple losses or more overall and possibly in league. This was the whole strategy of the Open Division. Teams with relative strong schedules in the above A leagues that go undefeated or have one loss in league (given the games so far) have high probability of being placed in the Open division.

Here is the Open Pool

WCAL Teams in running (Maybe Riordan has longest shot, but SHC also is a question mark based on nonleague win strength)
Bells (should be in the thick of league)
VC (should rebound)
Serra (should be in the thick of it)
SI (should be in the thick of it)
SF (defense will be among the best, but offense will need to improve- but still a good shot)
Mitty (still a good shot-too early to tell. This week better indication)
SHC (nonleague schedule not a good indicator)
Riordan (improved, but will need run table in WCAL. May have tough time making playoffs at all this year)

Other schools from A leagues:

DeAnza
Los Gatos (stronger schedule) - great shot even with one loss in league
Milpitas (relatively strong schedule - not as strong as Los Gatos but goes if they win league and possibly second in league with one loss

Bay:
Sacred Heart Prep (is in if they win Bay and probably with one loss due to SOS - an A+ league team win and A league team wins in nonleague and league)
Burlingame if they win league has shot but not as strong a projected power point schedule.

MBL Gab
Palma (is in due to SOS on nonleague A and A+ league teams if they win league or place second with one league loss - still need to win this week)

Monterey if they win league (only one A league team in nonleague and need to win against Menlo-Atherton and other nonleague teams would give a bump depending on how they finish. Nonleague SOS not especially strong but could run the table)

Hollister - strong SOS nonleague and would need to win league or second with one loss in league)

Alvarez - would need to win league and probably run table (not as strong a nonleague SOS as far as wins. may not be enough.)

Salinas - would need to win league and run table to have shot. Probably out of Open discussion.

MHAL
Down this year, but Pioneer or Willow Glen have shot if they run table. Neither probably will as league should be competitive and nonleague wins or schedule may not be strong enough. Pioneer has a better shot with nonleague SOS. League is down, but these teams have a shot. Others like Oak Grove need to run table and looks like non of these teams will.

In addition to 4 WCAL teams from above- non-WCAL favorites would be Los Gatos, Milpitas, Sacred Heart Prep, Palma with Monterey, Burlingame, Hollister, Pioneer and longer shot Alvarez having a reasonable shot if they run the table from now on. Overall should be a pretty strong Open Division.

I'm pretty sure that the Santa Cruz Coast League is a B league and it's pretty tough for them to qualify for the open on points.

Do outside teams that defeat WCAL teams get extra points for those games?

Originally posted by Dooer:

Do outside teams that defeat WCAL teams get extra points for those games?
By outside teams, I assume you mean outside of WCAL. There are no extra points for defeating a WCAL team, but there is an extra half point for playing an A+ league team.

Looks like this years open will be much more fun to watch than previous years with the exception of SHP getting in. They will be the sacrificial lamb if they do. Judging from what has happened all the other teams will have a legitimate shot at winning. I dont see one WCAL team going undefeated and it could be co champs again.

Originally posted by PAL95:
7. SHC- Weak preseason schedule but gives this team confidence going into league play. QB play is pretty good and they have a solid RB. Can they beat someone other than Riordan this year? It will be interesting to say the least.
With all the upsets we've seen, I'd like to see the Irish on the winning end of one or two this season.
party0027.r191677.gif

Go IRISH!

It's not out of the question. WCAL not as dominant as it has been. SF schools could make some noise in league play.

Aptos is in a B league and good shot at having only one loss (upcoming Granite Bay game) and running through league undefeated. They have wins over a couple A league teams so far. If their are 4 non-WCAL teams in the Open division, their league power points will most likely move them out of the Open Division.

There are some extra points for winning against A or better league teams and teams from other sections with winning records.

The CCS Open Division system is pretty much set up to have only WCAL and A league winners and/or A league challengers with maximum one or two losses that have string nonleague SOS. "A" league teams that win their "A" league are not guaranteed to be moved up to the Open Division, especially ones with weaker non-league SOS. Aptos although a relatively strong non-league SOS doesn't get as much points credit for its B league wins as would an A league team winning in its A league. Smaller privates like Sacred Heart Prep and Palma are pretty much guaranteed to be in the Open Division if they win their A leagues with only one loss given their non-league schedules. I think SHP will run the table (maybe Burlingame gives them a tough game) moving them into the Open playoff and Palma even if they lose to a Monterey lets say, probably gets moved into the division. Even if they lose two games in league (overall two losses) may move up. Probably would take them more than two losses to move them into enrollment playoff. I haven't calculated all the scenarios so I am assuming the teams mentioned above will end with certain record. The teams from the WCAL that are moved up still have a lot to go. I think the WCAL is going to have lots of 2-3 loss teams. Winner probably has one or more losses this year. Lots of teams will be grouped together in second and 3rd place in league and that is where the nonleague wins and SOS will impact whether a team moves up or not.

NorCalSportsFan,
I think you meant " "B" league teams that win their "B" league are not guaranteed to be moved up to the Open Division, especially ones with weaker non-league SOS."

There are five A/A+ leagues in CCS and the champions of each are sent to the Open regardless of their non league schedule. An A/A+ league championship team could go 0-4 in non league and still would go to the Open.

If there are co or tri champions the tie breaker formula is used to see which team gets the automatic Open slot.

The three remaining slots for the Open are determined by CCS power points.

I think the A league champions are not necessarily in now. Most likely in, but believe the add up all the power points and top teams are in. At least in new format. Yes...I meant B league.

Well that would be a big change. The committee report from last year did not have anything in it like that. The seeding was all going to be by power points but not who qualified. Interesting.

I also thought that all A league champions were automatically placed in the open div.. If not, that must be a recent change.

Originally posted by Streak One:

Rmbr26,
Based on what you have seen, where does Milpitas and Los Gatos fit in this rankings? More about who is the best team and not just win-loss performance.
Streak One: That is a great question with Mitty & then Valley Christian both losing to those 2 teams. Since Mitty & VC were considered upper tier WCAL favorites to compete for the league title then until another WCAL school beats either of them, then Los Gatos & Milpitas have to be considered equals or better of the other top tier WCAL teams.

I see in this mornings Mercury News "Top 15 Rankings" they have Milpitas & Los Gatos as #1 & #2 followed by Bells, Serra, VC, Mitty & SI. I'm seldom in agreement with the Mercury News rankings, so here is my take to answer Streak One's question.

Looking at last season's records and returning players along with this season games so far here is how I would rank Milpitas & Los Gatos in terms of the WCAL teams at this point:

1] Los Gatos - some rate Mipitas higher based upon the win over Valley Christian by 31-17, however Los Gatos has had the tougher schedule including another quality win last weekend over San Benito. I like Los Gatos and they appear to be the team to beat in the CCS at this time. Game vs St. Mary's-Stockton this weekend should be a good one and I have Los Gatos by 10 based upon St. Mary's not being able to stop Joey Woods. After SI's double O/T last Saturday many WCAL fans will be keeping an eye on this game. Los Gatos 31 - St. Mary's 21

2] Serra - Defending CCS Open champ has 2 losses to 2 teams that would beat any other CCS team - so Serra stays put until another CCS team proves otherwise. Despite the losses Serra played well in both games compared to other teams success against these same 2 teams [example: DLS 41-Serra 13, DLS 52 - Del Oro - 0].

3] Mitty - lost to what I consider the top team in CCS Los Gatos and still may compete for WCAL crown. Of course this Friday nite's game vs Pitt is HUGE and will answer many questions for both teams. Mitty had 2 weeks to lick their wounds and should come into the game fired up. Mitty 28 - Pitt 20

4] Milpitas -
many questions regarding the win over Valley Christian remain as for both teams it was the only competitive game either played in pre-season prior to league play. Possibly Valley Christian came in over confidant based upon last season's game between the 2 teams as well as reading too much hype about themselves. Either way VC was flat and Milpitas was not. Regardless Milpitas took a huge jump in rankings and respect from other CCS teams.

5] Valley Christian - this team simply has too much returning talent not to be good this season. See remarks above for #4 Milpitas]. The Valley Christian team needed a wake up call & if the Milpitas game was not it then it could be a repeat of last season's 8-4 team that finished 3rd in league.

6] Bells - playing good football and have now forced their way into the rankings pictures with 3 impressive wins. The Bells have yet to play a team with any quality wins and their best opponent Franklin - Elk Grove has played 2 easy opponents as well - so the game between the 2 teams is hard to gauge. I give the Bells the edge over SI based on my preview of the Franklin-Elk Grove team and the margin of victory by Bellarmine and also SI's 3 pre-season opponents all appear to be in rebuilding mode this season [ie: Terra Nova 0-3].

7] St. Ignatius - already better than last season, but how much better is hard to say based upon quality of pre-season wins with best win being over St. Mary's-Stockton.

8] St. Francis - not a lot to go on in sizing up the 2014 Lancers other than a 21-12 loss to Palma in which Palma dominated throughout the game. The Lancers have not played any other relevant teams in rankings, so SF stay's at what is 6th position in WCAL.

9] Sacred Heart Cathedral - the Irish appear to be a better more athletic team in 2014 with a 3-0 record despite their toughest opponent being a 1-3 Novato team. SHC faces an uphill road from here on out and Riordan who appears improved over last season will be the Irish best chance at a league win in WCAL.

10] Riordan - no surprises so far for the Crusader's who were projected to lose all 10 games this season - due in part to having one of the more difficult pre-season schedules - as opposed to SHC who had by far the weakest schedule. Riordan came close last week in losing 21-20 to Menlo Atherton and will likely attempt to again gain a WCAL win at the expense of the Irish across town.

This post was edited on 9/25 4:06 PM by Rmbr26

Power points will be calculated for entry into Open Division. When looking at seeding, if WCAL team (Mitty or VC) have higher PPTs they would be seeded higher. Although game would be hosted at league winner if one is league winner. It reads as:

http://www.cifccs.org/meetings/Documents%20Winter/2013-2014/FB%20SPORT%20COMMITTEE%20Report%202013.pdf

- All seeding based on power points.

- First round - if one team is league winner (league winner is host). If both are league winners-higher PP hosts.

- If neither team is league winner-higher PP hosts.

The Mitty vs Pitt game will be televised on HighSchoolCube tonite at 7:00 according to their site.

Looking for Los Gatos - St Mary's but so far not seeing that is televised anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT