ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview -

My last sentence stated, " Just my opinion".

FUBO, Yes Burr-Kiven is the real deal. Terra Nova's QB, Gordon, is also very good.

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Valley Christian Warriors

On the subject of BBK... I can't wait for the SHP/Riordan game. Caston playing RB and BBK at LB should make for some epic collisions. I anticipate that being a very physical game all around. 2 really good LB corps playing that day.

BBK is a two-way player at LB/RB as is Caston @ LB/RB.

Freeman ratings get more accurate over time with data. Some do look out of wack at this stage. Until the games start, data s lacking although historical data and adjusments are made based on what info is available.

Originally posted by PAL95:
Ok VC at 77 and Terra Nova at 56? If im not mistaken didnt VC destroy them in the playoffs last year? Vc will be stronger this year and Terra Nova will take a step back. I also believe Pitt should be much lower with all of the prospects they have coming back. The Bells will drop both games against San Leandro and St Marys. I know Sacred Heart Prep had a good run last year, but they would have huge problems beating any of the teams listed in the 100's. I will give them that they got El Cerrito good, but the top 5 teams in the WCAL would beat shp pretty bad. Just my opinion.
Its hard to say until a few games are played, but many of the teams are close to the ratings they finished the 2013 seasons with adjustments made slightly up or downwards. In fewer cases such as SI they made a large leap upwards based most likely on their returning QB who was 2nd in league in passing, numerous close losses and an abundance of returning varsity players with experience.

In the VC-Terra Nova game VC likely played its best game of the year IMO and I thought Terra Nova played their worst in losing 26-7.
Terra Nova returns the #1 ranked passer in CCS in Anthony Gordon along with a number of skill players, so once again should be a very good team, especially with a better defense. VC still has the question of a passing game to be answered. Then again would VC simply be too physical for TN?

Here's a few game results from last season 2013 to counter the last game in which VC beat TN:
Terra Nova won over SI by 50-33, VC won over SI by 10-9
Terra Nova won over Menlo Atherton 57-27 while SI lost to MA by 21-16

I'm not sure if you saw the state Div III title game in which Sacred Heart Prep lost to Corona Del Mar, but it was a great game even though they lost. As you mention SHP beat the same El Cerrito team by 42-7 that the Bells won over by 28-25. Besides returning Ben Bur-Kirven SHP return's their QB M. Randall who would have been the #2 passer in stats in the WCAL as well as returning some of their top skill players, So SHP gets a slight bump upwards in ratings and again should be a very good team this season. As for Pitt I had looked at their roster previously and Pitt could have an uphill battle with their schedule this season offensively. They lost 3 of their best players to graduation, but primarily their do-everything RB Harris Ross who was also their leading WR and accounted for over 50% of all Pitt's rushing & passing yards [no other Pitt player on offense was even close to Ross in game performance]. Pitt also did not have much of a passing game averaging only 44 yards per game. Pitt should have a physical D, but may have a tough time outscoring opponents.

Originally posted by jordan24:
BBK is a two-way player at LB/RB as is Caston @ LB/RB.
True. Caston is more physical as a runner than a LB. BBK is more physical as a LB than a RB.

I'm really excited about this Riordan Defense this year. They've got some real thumpers. With Masoli gone, I believe Riordan will take on a more defensive identity.

There is no doubt SHP took it to El Cerrito, but I believe without the two injuries suffered it would have been a closer game and maybe decided late in the fouth quarter. Remember the gauchos lost their starting Qb and their backup Qb that game! Jalen Harvey the backup was usually a reciever, but had to switch duties. When he was out it was over. Its just like SHP losin Burr-Kirven and their QB. Injuries are a part of the game and in this case it did affect the outcome with the score being so lopsided. I also think VC didn't play its best game of the year against Terra Nova, like u stated I just think they were much more physical. I watched that game and Gordon didn't have much time to make plays as the rush was coming strong and fast all night long. VC pounded them on the ground without Kirk Johnson, so just imagine what this years VC team would do to them. People were also saying that last years Terra Nova team was their best ever. Gordon is the real deal no doubt, but when you get a pass rush like VC brought, there's little you can do. Regarding SI, they started off very cold and picked it up as the season went on and had its moments.

It's all about line play. That's why VC will probably have have one of their way above average years.

Originally posted by FUBO:
It's all about line play. That's why VC will probably have have one of their way above average years.
Agreed. Even in down years, VC executes on the line very well. Very well coached. I really believe this is the year VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature.

Originally posted by PurpleHaze13:

Originally posted by FUBO:
Agreed. Even in down years, VC executes on the line very well. Very well coached. I really believe this is the year VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature.
Concur with PH13.

I'm pleased you all agree with me.

I'm not sure who is agreeing with what.

FUBO says " VC will probably have have one of their way above average years"
Then PH agrees with FUBO but then adds "VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature."
Then IC agrees with PH
Which colhenry agrees with as well.
Then FUBO says "I'm pleased you all agree with me." Which would mean that we are agreeing with what FUBO said "VC will probably have have one of their way above average years"

So are we agreeing that "VC will probably have have one of their way above average years" or are we agreeing that "VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature." or both.
confused0024.r191677.gif

Originally posted by WCAL75:
I'm not sure who is agreeing with what.

FUBO says " VC will probably have have one of their way above average years"
Then PH agrees with FUBO but then adds "VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature."
Then IC agrees with PH
Which colhenry agrees with as well.
Then FUBO says "I'm pleased you all agree with me." Which would mean that we are agreeing with what FUBO said "VC will probably have have one of their way above average years"

So are we agreeing that "VC will probably have have one of their way above average years" or are we agreeing that "VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature." or both.
confused0024.r191677.gif
Yes.
party0005.r191677.gif

I too tend to believe VC will take league this year. There are a lot of reasons but I can narrow it down to two words. The return of Eric Scharrenberg.

That's bad news for the rest of the league. Great coach.

If VC can pass the ball effectively then they can win league and possibly move beyond the regional game. You need a good passing game when you get to the regional and state levels. If VC is still one dimensional like last year they might or might not win league. QB play will be the X factor for the top 4 teams.

True. Caston is more physical as a runner than a LB. BBK is more physical as a LB than a RB.

I'm really excited about this Riordan Defense this year. They've got some real thumpers. With Masoli gone, I believe Riordan will take on a more defensive identity.
Nice!!!...Riordan's going to be a geniune WCAL title contender this year....
roll.r191677.gif

I think VC is the favorite, but not by much. I think they have a legit shot at a regional game, but they will stumble to one WCAL team during league play. Mark my words, I think St Francis or perhaps Mitty wi ll be the teams to possibly knock them off.

Originally posted by TedSmithers:

roll.r191677.gif
No recycled meme this time? You disappoint me.

Originally posted by TedSmithers:

roll.r191677.gif
No recycled meme this time? You disappoint me.
meme46dffc0081be597c.jpg

This post was edited on 8/1 3:37 PM by TedSmithers

SERRA PADRES 2014 TEAM PRE-SEASON PREVIEW:

Serra Varsity 2013 Team Record = 11-3 Overall, 6-1 in league, Co-WCAL Champs beating CO-Champ Mitty 31-7 in league.
Junior Varsity 2013 Team Record = 0-10 Overall, 0-7 in league, only winless team in WCAL JV .
Freshman 2013 team record = 7-1-1 Overall, 5-1-1 in league, 3rd place in WCAL.

Best Game: Easy choice as Serra narrowly loses to DLS 21-14 while missing 5 starters leading early in the 4th quarter by 14-7 before DLS roared back scoring twice and ruining Serra's chances of a huge win. Coach Walsh has come close a few times to beating his alma mater & this one really slipped away after a terrific game by the Padres in which they outplayed DLS most of the game - but in the end the scoreboard is the only thing that counts.

Toughest Loss: Another easy choice again as Serra being favored loses yet again to its eternal nemesis St. Francis 41-34.
No matter how good Serra is in any season SF seems to have the Kryptonite needed to make Serra fail. 2nd year in a row Serra went in heavily favored and left with an unsettling loss - Serra's only league loss of the season. The game was one of the WCAL's best games of the season and SF had an inspiring rally earlier in the day for their senior night game in which the SF coach announced "We are going to get these guys!". The Lancers on their own turf came out inspired and put up 41 points on a Serra D which had been allowing only 13 points per game.

Serra enters 2014 coming off the most successful season in school history. Serra ended the season as Co-Champs of the WCAL while decisively beating its co-champ Mitty 31-7 with its then QB Trent Scharrenberg playing. Serra went on to win the CCS Open Division beating Mitty in the Championship although the victory was a bit tainted as Scharrenberg was injured and unable to play - Mitty played an inspired game without an experienced healthy QB who could throw and gave Serra all it could handle losing 21-7.
Serra went on to fall short in losing 28-20 to Sac-Joaquin D-II Champ Del Oro in a very physical game. Had Serra won they would have advanced to the state title game.
As we know with Super Bowl winners it is very hard to repeat such success 2 years in a row, although Coach Walsh of Serra is entirely capable. Serra's program under Walsh has flourished and shown consistent improvement since Walsh took over the program. While there have been some ups & downs & disappointments Serra is now solidly entrenched as one of the top tier teams in the WCAL and a reputation of being a winning program. For 2014 the Serra Padres are once again one of the favored teams to win WCAL and also contend for the CCS Open crown.

Serra's fans were not at all disappointed during the 2013 season and enjoyed many exciting moments. Finishing at 11-3 Serra did not suffer a "bad loss" in any game that was not highly competitive. A close loss to DLS is an "almost win" ;) a thrilling close loss to a very good & inspired SF team who erupted for 41 points to edge the Padres 41-34 and a hard fought loss to an excellent Del Oro team by 28-20 in which Serra could have won had a few plays gone their way. So how difficult will it be for the Padres to repeat their 2013 success? Serra was the top offense in the WCAL & the 2nd best defense as well. Serra has been setting numerous school records in football in the last several years including in 2013 thanks in part to QB Matt Fa'aita the now #4 best QB in Serra's record books [with 2 having been NFL QB's].
Serra averaged 185 yards passing & 225 yards rushing per game in 2013 with 67 TD's. Gaudy numbers & where does this place them in school history going back to the 1950's you ask?
* 2nd most points in a season at 486.
* 4th highest average scoring at 34.7 points per game.
* 2nd highest points scored in a game of 59 vs Pioneer of San Jose in first round of CCS playoffs.
* New School Record - most yards total offense in a season = 5747 yards beating the old record of 4857 in 2011 by 890 yards.
* The total offense record set by Serra in 2013 is equal to 486 yards of total offense per game.
* 2nd most TD's by a Serra team at 67.
* And the most interesting record by the 2013 team = most passing yards in a single season of 2586. It is interesting as the #1 QB Matt Fa'aita was injured for several games and the #2 QB Anthony Smock played extremely well in his place. So with at least 2 games out injured Matt Fa'aita throws for 1861 yards in his only season at QB of which Jesse Freitas Jr. [San Diego Chargers] was in front of him by 2121 yards and the other guy Tom Brady was 5 yards ahead of Freitas at 2126. This is the one major statistic that will challenge Serra & make it so difficult for them to repeat their 2013 success.

The roster for 2014: Serra loses Hamilton Anoa'I, DB/WR - Co-Player of year for WCAL, Kavapele Maka, Safety - first team WCAL,
Daniel Lavulo, DE - first team WCAL, Ryan Rudolph, OL - All NorCal & first team WCAL, Matt Fa'aita, QB - 4th best passer in Serra history, Tyson Terreros, LB -first team WCAL, Eric Westerman, DE - first team WCAL, Jerico Tufono, OL/DL, Kevin McGee, FB/Safety, Mau Langi, LB = 10 Players of Significance & the hardest player to replace is QB Fa'aita. This along with an 0-10 JV Squad should have Padres fans sweating & adjusting their shorts a bit.

So WHO does Serra have left this season? Serra returns 30 varsity players while help from the JV's may not be in the wings.
Of the 30 players returning 10 players ar over 200 lbs. with only 2 over 250, so Serra loses a lot of beef on the lines in sheer size and will not be so large physically in '14. Returning players of impact incl: Kava Cassidy, RB, 6'0 - 180 3rd year player & first team WCAL, Chris Villanueva, OL, 6'1"- 225, James Outman, LB, 6'2"- 190, Jack Dreyer, OL/DL, 6'8 - 290, Kelepi Lataimua, RB/CB, 5'7 - 170, Justin Tatola, LB/FB, 6'0- 205, Brandon Monroe, WR, 6'0 - 170, Tevita Tuitavake, CB, 6'1 - 178. So Serra does return a fair amount of talent, but will it be enough?

Padres Pre-Season Schedule: Once again Coach Walsh of Serra steps it up & has Serra playing DLS & Sherman Oaks before a breather with SSF. Both DLS & Sherman Oaks are better opponents than any other teams WCAL teams will be playing - so trial by fire once again for Serra. Is this a good or bad strategy? From past results the more difficult schedules have benefited the Padres come league play while softer schedules do not seem to challenge the team enough to be fully prepared. The strategy looks good in as far as the Padres play 2 very good teams and then the breather prior to WCAL league play with what should be a blood bath against SSF. Serra opens against what many fans feel is the favorite in WCAL this year - Valley Christian.

Of Serra's pre-season opponents DLS of course is the monster. DLS returns 38 players which is more than any WCAL team.
This is from a DSL roster that was already stacked last year and has 17 returners over 200 lbs and 8 over 225 with 11 of them being returning soph's as juniors [which is hard to fathom]. Serra had better be ready as DLS will surely have watched repeated game videos of last year.
Notre Dame - Sherman Oaks will also pose a challenge with 11 players over 200 lbs & 7 over 220 - a big team physically. On a plus note all of Sherman Oaks skill players graduated, so Serra will def have an edge there with 2 returning RB's and their top WR returning. Serra has a QB transfer from SF in Hunter Bishop who may just fit right in where Fa'aita left off, but then again Coach Walsh has other options in using an athlete at QB such as Fa'aita who was a former RB transformed into a hybrid running/passing QB - which worked quite well last season. Will be an interesting season for Padres fans.

Next Up: Mitty Monarchs

This post was edited on 8/1 10:14 PM by Rmbr26

I dont think anyone including the newspapers could write these previews up like this. They should copy and paste and put it in the mercury and give you credit! After reading this preview and seeing that the lines wont be that big, I think Serra will be solid, but no where near last years team. What they do have going is they will for sure be battle tested come league play! Anything can happen in this league..

The papers used to have good prep sections. They blame budgets, I blame bias.

These papers and other media outlets most likely read these posts and could , should be taking info for their own reports!

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Serra Padres

Best posts on the football board. Very informational and has a strong record of being on point too.

Thanks PAL95 & Streak One for the nice comments - much appreciated! If not apparent I like all HS sports, but Football is clearly my passion and runs in the family. While I like all sports I used to especially look forward to the high school write ups during the weeks about the upcoming games & reviews from Friday night games & again Sunday reviews for Saturday games [the sports sections were only reason I subscribed to SM Times or Mercury News all these years after finally giving up on the Chron]. So my morning coffee was not complete without these write-ups. SM Times for several years posted Friday night HS scores at the top of the front page in the sports section as if top news [loved it!].

Unfortunately the high school coverage has all but disappeared and I started keeping track of the games in WCAL year to year and becoming addicted to NCP's and other sites to find the info I craved about WCAL teams & their opponents.
What is missing in hard print news is fortunately now available on the net - if you look for it. NCP's is a fun site and good info along with the posts and comments, so for now I'll keep sharing the info I collect and glad others find it interesting.

The Internet is the culprit in the sad demise of local newspapers. Advertisers and subscribers have fled to the web. So that's where the bulk of your prep coverage is going to be found. Print is dying. It will not make a comeback. We all have to get used to it.

Newspapers are a dying industry. The internet is partially to blame, but a lot of the blame falls on the editors and reporters who have chosen to be advocates for certain causes or political parties instead of just reporting the news in an unbiased manner and let the readers decide. The editorial pages are now the headlines.

I really do miss my mercury news. I had withdrawals for a time when I cancelled my subscription when Keifer left. Once they cut the preps sports coverage there was no longer a reason to buy the paper.

GUYS.....The demise of the high school coverage began long before the internet took hold....When the newspapers began cutting back on prep coverage, that's when the Internet took off...All of the major newspapers are to blame and now all the newspaper industry is suffering...There are still a few newspapers that do pay attention to prep sports and give it the coverage that the readers follow...Local sports, local news was the key...Many newspapers that were afternoon papers went morning, and although some thought it was the right move, they are all paying for it as it is not easy to recruit kids and adults to deliver in the A.m. and the expense has gone sky high....And today's kids are tomorrows news...

Originally posted by Rmbr26 in Serra Padres 2014 Pre-season Team Preview:

"Of Serra's pre-season opponents DLS of course is the monster. DLS returns 38 players which is more than any WCAL team.
This is from a DSL roster that was already stacked last year and has 17 returners over 200 lbs and 8 over 225 with 11 of them being returning soph's as juniors [which is hard to fathom]. Serra had better be ready as DLS will surely have watched repeated game videos of last year."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One item I forgot to mention about the Serra-DLS upcoming game is that DLS's best defensive lineman transferred to Clayton Valley Charter School for his senior season due to a family matter.

Here is who Serra will not have to face fortunately:

Kahlil McKenzie 6'4 - 341 is one of the top recruits in the nation at his position and has already committed to play at Tennessee.
Kahlil is the son of Radiers General Manager Reggie McKenzie & was ranked the 35th top recruit in the country by 247Sports.
While DLS has plenty of other beef on the lines this was perhaps their biggest & best lineman.

Nice Serra review. On the linePads return -Jack Dreyer, Sr, 6-8, 290+, OL/DT/DE,a D1 recruit; If Hunter Bishop, QB, Jr, 6-3, 180, starts (transferred from St Fracis HS - Mountain View), Serra ill have a mobile and QB that can pass the ball. This years juniors won WCAL as frosh I believe, but the loss of the skill players (Monroe, and Lataimua) to varsity seemed to hurt the JVs - kind o strange.Serra has more than 2 players over 200lbs- not sure where you got that? They at least have 11+ players over 200lbs (including 2 other players at around 300lbs - not counting Dreyer). Serra line should be fine. QB is questionmark, but they have opportunity to be very good at that position as well. With the speed at the skill positions,Serra should be tough this coming season.

Originally posted by NorCalSportsFan:

Nice Serra review. On the linePads return -Jack Dreyer, Sr, 6-8, 290+, OL/DT/DE,a D1 recruit; If Hunter Bishop, QB, Jr, 6-3, 180, starts (transferred from St Fracis HS - Mountain View), Serra ill have a mobile and QB that can pass the ball. This years juniors won WCAL as frosh I believe, but the loss of the skill players (Monroe, and Lataimua) to varsity seemed to hurt the JVs - kind o strange.Serra has more than 2 players over 200lbs- not sure where you got that? They at least have 11+ players over 200lbs (including 2 other players at around 300lbs - not counting Dreyer). Serra line should be fine. QB is questionmark, but they have opportunity to be very good at that position as well. With the speed at the skill positions,Serra should be tough this coming season.
Originally posted by Rmbr26 in Serra Padres 2014 Pre-Season Team Preview:

"So WHO does Serra have left this season? Serra returns 30 varsity players while help from the JV's may not be in the wings.
Of the 30 players returning 10 players ar over 200 lbs. with only 2 over 250, so Serra loses a lot of beef on the lines in sheer size and will not be so large physically in '14. Returning players of impact incl: Kava Cassidy, RB, 6'0 - 180 3rd year player & first team WCAL, Chris Villanueva, OL, 6'1"- 225, James Outman, LB, 6'2"- 190, Jack Dreyer, OL/DL, 6'8 - 290, Kelepi Lataimua, RB/CB, 5'7 - 170, Justin Tatola, LB/FB, 6'0- 205, Brandon Monroe, WR, 6'0 - 170, Tevita Tuitavake, CB, 6'1 - 178. So Serra does return a fair amount of talent, but will it be enough?"
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NorCal - above are my comments from post regarding the possible returning players from last year's Serra varsity, which of course would not include anyone coming up from JV this year. So you are actually in line with my comment of "10 players over 200lbs." while there are actually 11 [ I removed one who was borderline 200]. In 2013 Serra's roster showed 19 players over 200 with 4 players over 250 of which 2 of those players return. Here is who Serra lost to graduation & why the lines [& team overall] will be smaller this year unless at least 7 JV's match the sizes of the below players who graduated.

Hamilton Anoa'i - 6'4 - 225, WR/S
Tyson Terreros - 6'0 - 200, LB/RB
Jericho Tufono - 5'6 - 235, OL/DL
Chris Chan - 5'10 - 230, OL/DL
Dom Delucchi - 5'6 - 220, OL/DL
Tom Meredith - 6'4 - 250, OL/DL
Ryan Rudolph - 6'2 - 265, OL/DL
Matt Dickerson - 6'5" - 275 DT [* DNP & not counted]

BTW NorCAL you made some good observations regarding the possible new QB & the loss of Lataimua & Monroe hurting the JV;s.
I thought along the same lines, but looking at sophs on other WCAL varsity teams it still doesn't explain why Serra's JV team was so horrid last year [unless they simply had no talent at the skill positions such as QB/RB]. It will be interesting how the CCS open champ returning players & upcoming players off an 0-10 JV team play together [along with how many sophs are brought up from a good Frosh team that went 7-1-1].

This post was edited on 8/3 4:50 PM by Rmbr26

From what I have seen and heard, Hunter Bishop has more physical tools than Matt Fa'aita of last year. He is bigger, has a better arm and is faster. Fa'aita was great and really progressed, all while putting up huge stats, but I'm excited to see what Bishop can do in the Serra spread offense. The read option combined with their passing game seems perfect for him. He also has good targets in Monroe and Lataimua. Come to think of it, all three of those guys are juniors, so the Padres look pretty good for 2015 as well.

Originally posted by dcpanda:
From what I have seen and heard, Hunter Bishop has more physical tools than Matt Fa'aita of last year. He is bigger, has a better arm and is faster. Fa'aita was great and really progressed, all while putting up huge stats, but I'm excited to see what Bishop can do in the Serra spread offense. The read option combined with their passing game seems perfect for him. He also has good targets in Monroe and Lataimua. Come to think of it, all three of those guys are juniors, so the Padres look pretty good for 2015 as well.
dcpanda - it seems Walsh will have several options at QB so will be interesting to see if he goes with one who is clearly above the rest or we see several in the pre-season games. Last year's back-up QB Anthony Smock did a very good job in taking over in the Buhach colony game when Fa'aita went down to injury. Smock then started and led Serra to victory in the league game against Bellarmine which was an important game and to win with your back-up QB says something. While Smock was a reliable back-up he was not as mobile as the shifty Fa'aita who was a converted RB. Smock did not do well in 2 later appearances when Fa'aita was not playing well & Walsh appeared less eager to insert Smock in later games when he appeared ineffective. Fa'aita was a bit inconsistent in his passing at times largely due to inexperience at the position, but still put up the best numbers in the league - which says something about the system Walsh has in place. Kava Cassidy returns as the featured RB and also was the leading receiver, while Monroe was the #2 WR and Lataimua is a very quick RB and capable WR as well. Agreed - Serra is already looking good at the skill positions for 2015. Very curious to see Hunter Bishop play as many SF fans saw him as the heir apparent for Lancers earlier on.

VC Revisited: By sirlancealot - "They need to be able to pass. NCSF didn't you mention last year that VC got a talented Soph that transferred to VC? What's the status with him? Could he step in a take over the QB position and give VC a pass threat. They have the receivers. They just need to be able to get them the ball. That would really cause teams problems considering the quality and depth of their RB's."

Even if they have a more capable QB than younger Machado, I highly doubt elder Machado will bench his son in his last year of HS FB. When they do throw, most or all of the plays will go to Colin.

Kirk is going to get the ball most of the time. But I wonder if he is going stay healthy for the entire season. With a partial exception of Vacaville (Played but got injured), Kirk did not play in all of VC's losses last year. Against SF, he just tore it up. But with a price. He got hurt near the end of the game and basically was out for the playoffs. The previous year, Ryan Severson (now plays for Univ. of Colorado) was their feature back so kirks load was manageable.

Originally posted by dcpanda:
"From what I have seen and heard, Hunter Bishop has more physical tools than Matt Fa'aita of last year. He is bigger, has a better arm and is faster. Fa'aita was great and really progressed, all while putting up huge stats, but I'm excited to see what Bishop can do in the Serra spread offense. The read option combined with their passing game seems perfect for him. He also has good targets in Monroe and Lataimua. Come to think of it, all three of those guys are juniors, so the Padres look pretty good for 2015 as well"

Fa'aita just did a tremendous job last year. I think being a converted running back really helped him be comfortable at QB. He was a great runner so if things weren't there, he was able to escape or buy more time for the open guy and that person was usually the reliable Anoia. He was just a big target. Not sure if Bishop is faster than Fa'aita nor have played running back before so will hold off on any comparisons until the 5th game of the season (if he starts).

This post was edited on 8/4 2:19 PM by HSS75

Is Bishop ineligible for the first half of the regular season?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT