ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Riordan vs Milpitas

"Give me a 6-3, 195-pound kid with speed and toughness over a 6-7, 335-pound sloth any day of the week."

Well in this case the sloths are actually good...
Out of 15 Milpitas all-leaguers, 10 are coming back. Impressive. Let's hope Riordan surprises us with a competitive game or a win.

DeAnza Outstanding Offensive Lineman: Vita Musika - Jr.
DeAnza Outstanding Defensive Lineman: Jason Scrempos - Jr.
DeAnza Junior of the Year: Solomon Foketi LB
--------------
All-League Running Back: Savion Black - Jr.
All-League Wide Receiver: Christian Rita - Jr.
All-League Offensive Line: Uate Mataele - Jr.; Christian Haangana - So.
All-League Defensive Back: Duane Jones - Jr.
All-League Linebacker: Cole Poffenbarger - Jr.
All-League Defensive Line: Sii Mataele - So.

This post was edited on 8/14 5:37 PM by HSS75

Originally posted by colhenrylives:
For all those focusing on some of those massive (fat?) MIlipitas kids, there is hope that they are slow and grossly out of shape. If Riordan has new team speed, hey, maybe this game will be closer than everyone thinks. Give me a 6-3, 195-pound kid with speed and toughness over a 6-7, 335-pound sloth any day of the week.
I am with the Col on this topic in regards to sheer size simply overwhelming [or not]. Milpitas was a better team last year with a better QB and the RB Squally Canada, yet still lost to Valley Christian by 21 points with all those same players returning this year.

Reminds me of 2008 when I went to Serra's first pre-season game against Westmont of San Jose. My brother in-law was standing next to the Westmont team as they came out for the game and they were huge compared to Serra's line that year. My brother in-law remarked that Westmont looked like a college team and Serra was in for a long night.
Cody Jackson was the QB and final score was Serra 56 - Westmont 0.

Originally posted by HSS75:
"Give me a 6-3, 195-pound kid with speed and toughness over a 6-7, 335-pound sloth any day of the week."

--------------
I don't know... Kevin Gogan was 6'9" and 285 pounds and he did all right.

From what I saw in the summer the Milpitas defense will be their strength. Those guys are hole stuffers and Riordan will need some kind of passing game to move the chains. If Riordan can get some special teams help or create turnovers their is a slight chance. I know Milpitas has a couple of athletes, but the qb from what I saw didn't look that great. Anything is possible I guess, and I'm not completely counting them out this game. My money would say Milpitas wins 21-13 unless Riordan creates those turnovers.

If the Milpitas mastodons are the reincarnation of Kevin Gogan, Riordan has no chance. But that's highly doubtful.

If the Milpitas mastodons are the reincarnation of Kevin Gogan, Riordan has no chance. But that's highly doubtful.
I was looking at the rosters last night and Milpitas certainly is impressive on paper. Riordan will be trotting out 70 players for Varsity football this season that include a couple of sophs based on MaxPreps. Not all the heights/weights are listed, but the ones that are published show 17 players 200+, with 12 of them >220. Looking forward to the season!

This post was edited on 8/15 9:16 AM by jordan24

Originally posted by jordan24:

I was looking at the rosters last night and Milpitas certainly is impressive on paper. Looks like Riordan will be trotting out 70 players for Varsity football this season that include a couple of sophs based on MaxPreps. Not all the heights/weights are listed, but the ones that are published show 17 players 200+, with 12 of them >220. Looking forward to the season!
This post was edited on 8/15 8:37 AM by jordan24
Jordan - If those numbers are accurate that would put Riordan among the largest rosters in the WCAL & indicate a renewed interest in the program at the school. I hope the numbers are somewhat accurate & that they are actually players and not just bodies to fill a roster sheet
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Rmbr26:
Jordan - If those numbers are accurate that would put Riordan among the largest rosters in the WCAL & indicate a renewed interest in the program at the school. I hope the numbers are somewhat accurate & that they are actually players and not just bodies to fill a roster sheet
rolleyes.r191677.gif
The roster appears legit as it includes the returning varsity and jvs from last season's rosters with adjusted heights/weights for this season. I'm assuming someone from Riordan's Athletic Dept. submitted the roster to MaxPreps.
ARHS STATS, can you confirm?

Jordan24. One month ago they had to cancel the Marin Catholic camp appearance due to lack of bodies. They will have a healthy varsity roster but nowhere near 70. One name I saw at the top of the Maxpreps roster is Verba-Hamilton. He hasn't been mentioned by Lee or others much but he had an immediate impact as a Soph when he was brought up to Varsity late in the season.

This post was edited on 8/15 9:39 AM by FUBO

According to Maxpreps, Riordan had 74 players in the 2013/14 season.

Originally posted by FUBO:
Jordan24. One month ago they had to cancel the Marin Catholic camp appearance due to lack of bodies. They will have a healthy varsity roster but nowhere near 70. One name I saw at the top of the Maxpreps roster is Verba-Hamilton. He hasn't been mentioned by Lee or others much but he had an immediate impact as a Soph when he was brought up to Varsity late in the season.

This post was edited on 8/15 9:39 AM by FUBO
FUBO: Yeah, that bail out on the MC camp still has me smh...I was just stating the roster size as posted on MaxPreps...If the roster size is 50+ that would be a good indicator of the "needle moving in the right direction" compared to the previous HC. Lee now has another jr qb that is capable if Luavasa is slow to recover from his foot injury this summer.
Lee knows what he has in Verba-Hamilton, but my takeaway are the newcomers that have impressed him this offseason.

This post was edited on 8/15 10:19 AM by jordan24

I'm sure Smithers is chomping at the bit.....can't wait for the rebuttal.......and for his choice of photo from his archives.....

...that include a couple of sophs based on MaxPreps.
I'm with the firm belief that your varsity line coaching staff are on drugs....really...

Those 2 sophs were the same linemen who got their asses pummeled by Serra's...one of whom hobbled off the field crying like a baby. Yeah, they may be relatively big, but they are just oversized marshmallows. Serra didn't have any overly large linemen, but they play fast and ran circles around those 2 morons.

I mentioned in a post about 2 months ago that your frosh (at the time) starting WR & right CB were the ones who played above the rest.

Ooooooo...70 man squad...(74 last year)...someone captured it well by saying "Riordan does soooo little with soooo many..."

Then look at Campolindo...

Originally posted by TedSmithers:

...that include a couple of sophs based on MaxPreps.
I'm with the firm belief that your varsity line coaching staff are on drugs....really...

Those 2 sophs were the same linemen who got their asses pummeled by Serra's...one of whom hobbled off the field crying like a baby. Yeah, they may be relatively big, but they are just oversized marshmallows. Serra didn't have any overly large linemen, but they play fast and ran circles around those 2 morons.

I mentioned in a post about 2 months ago that your frosh (at the time) starting WR & right CB were the ones who played above the rest.

Ooooooo...70 man squad...(74 last year)...someone captured it well by saying "Riordan does soooo little with soooo many..."

Then look at Campolindo...
Now you're namecalling kids? You really want to be that guy? I'm sure you're a real badass.

The nerve of those 2 morons for crying after getting pummeled by Serra. They should have followed the Serra game plan and taken cheap shots and sucker punch the other team and refuse to shake hands after getting pummeled.

This is a more appropriate reaction right Smithers. Pretty classless post, even for you!

This post was edited on 8/15 12:10 PM by SHgradSIdad

The Riordan roster is bogus. Some of those kids quit football a while back and some are not even attending the school any longer. Some of those height/weights of the seniors are from freshman year. haha. There's no way they're fielding 70. More like 45-50.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the QB's, Sr Callero and the two juniors from last year's JV team Luavasa and Valle, have progressed with a whole off season of work with their QB coach.

Did any of you watch Riordan's frosh team play a game last year?...Do you know how bad they looked?...especially on both sides of the line? It was atrocious! That's why I mentioned in a post several months ago that Coach Lee should fire every incompetent idiot from that frosh coaching staff and replace with better ones.

Most of you just read my over-reaction (yes, I admit since I absolutely loathe bad football...period) to that team's linemen...although one of them did indeed cry like a baby. You didn't see that I mentioned there were 2 other players (WR & CB) who should be considered JV+ level of play. I would not touch anyone on last season's frosh line with a 10 foot pole...or consider ayone of them as varsity material until they were properly coached up...

This post was edited on 8/15 12:38 PM by TedSmithers

Originally posted by PurpleHaze13:
The Riordan roster is bogus. Some of those kids quit football a while back and some are not even attending the school any longer. Some of those height/weights of the seniors are from freshman year. haha. There's no way they're fielding 70. More like 45-50.
Wow! Didn't intend to create a firestorm! Lol! Again, just simply sharing with my fellow posters the roster appearing on MaxPreps. I'm assuming a member of Riordan's Athletic Dept. submits the rosters to MaxPreps? Am I wrong? Can anyone submit the rosters? If so, that is not a good thing. My initial intent of sharing the roster increase was to show an indication of the football program gaining more interest in continued participation from the student body as this was one of the challenges towards any time of improvement/success (pointed out by numerous posters) for this football program. 45-50 players on the roster would still be a good thing for this program. Some kids now on this season's roster that were not last season, or were on the frosh roster two seasons ago, are back from injury or have returned to the school based on their family situation...
Confirmation on the roster and who's back or not, and how many, will become apparent with the first game vs Milpitas Sept 5th.

This post was edited on 8/15 12:45 PM by jordan24

Originally posted by PurpleHaze13:
Wow! Didn't intend to create a firestorm! Lol! Again, just simply sharing with my fellow posters the roster appearing on MaxPreps. I'm assuming a member of Riordan's Athletic Dept. submits the rosters to MaxPreps? Am I wrong? Can anyone submit the rosters? If so, that is not a good thing. My initial intent of sharing the roster increase was to show an indication of the football program gaining more interest in continued participation from the student body. 45-50 players on the roster would still be a good thing for this program. Some kids now on this season's roster that were not last season, or were on the frosh roster two seasons ago, are back from injury or have returned to the school based on their family situation...
Questions on the roster and who's back or no,t and how many, will become apparent from the 9/5 game vs Milpitas.
Jordan,

Didn't intend for that to sound like a blast toward you. I just hate that Riordan copies and pastes every year. Submitting a halfway accurate roster shouldn't be that difficult.

Jordan,

Didn't intend for that to sound like a blast toward you. I just hate that Riordan copies and pastes every year. Submitting a halfway accurate roster shouldn't be that difficult.

I'm sure that's MaxPrep's fault. I send rosters in myself when I get them at games. Sometimes they don't bother making corrections.

Did any of you watch Riordan's frosh team play a game last year?...Do you know how bad they looked?...especially on both sides of the line? It was atrocious! That's why I mentioned in a post several months ago that Coach Lee should fire every incompetent idiot from that frosh coaching staff and replace with better ones.

Most of you just read my over-reaction (yes, I admit since I absolutely loathe bad football...period) to that team's linemen...although one of them did indeed cry like a baby. You didn't see that I mentioned there were 2 other players (WR & CB) who should be considered JV+ level of play. I would not touch anyone on last season's frosh line with a 10 foot pole...or consider ayone of them as varsity material until they were properly coached up...

This post was edited on 8/15 12:38 PM by TedSmithers
Your thoughts on the Frosh coaching staff are well known. But there are two linemen from that team who are good players. One, a polynesian kid whose name escapes me, has grown quite a bit and has shown varsity ability over the summer. He's a player. The other would provide good depth at the varsity level as well. They both played a lot of ball before arriving last year, so they're no babes in the wood.

Still, to go off on some freshman kids like that is pretty low. If only i had your vast collection of purple clad twink pictures, i'd create a meme for you.

This post was edited on 8/15 1:01 PM by PurpleHaze13

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:

I'm sure that's MaxPrep's fault. I send rosters in myself when I get them at games. Sometimes they don't bother making corrections.
Cheers, noticed that the Irish have eaten their Wheaties and worked hard this offseason based on the huge increase in players >200lbs. They are poised to pummel their non-league foes under Peralta's system. Did the SHC Athletic Dept submit the roster to MaxPreps? Good luck this season!

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish

Originally posted by NorCalSportsFan:

I agree, but also have a feeling that no team will outright win the WCAL this season. Probably co-champs.Will Serra get through Saint Francis? I think like you VC has the advantage at that time of the season when they play.
Mitty will have a good core of players, but I think they depth will be an issue.
@NorCalSportsFan:

I always respect your opinion so I would like to see what your WCAL predictions are this year.

@HSS75

When I read your posts I often think "who is that masked man", a coach, reporter, or the librarian that works in the top secret WCAL film and record vault. I know that VC is your top pick. How about the rest?

Anyone else that wants to put their predictions on league order of finish feel free to do so.

@Rmbr26

I have a great amount of respect for what you have done and continue to do with your WCAL threads.Your knowledge is top- notch and the effort and time that you put into this has to be considerable and is greatly appreciated. You are even getting famous. I believe I saw a tweet on the WCAL website referencing your thread in addition to it being on search engines.

1. Valley Christian
2. St. Francis
3. Serra
4. Mitty
5. Riordan
6. Bellarmine
7. St. Ignatius
8. Sacred Heart

This post was edited on 8/15 2:51 PM by PurpleHaze13

Originally posted by WCAL75:
Anyone else that wants to put their predictions on league order of finish feel free to do so.
VC
Mitty
Serra
SF
Riordan
SI
Bellarmine
SHC

This post was edited on 8/15 4:36 PM by jordan24

SHgradSIdad, were you at the game?

This post was edited on 8/15 3:16 PM by wcalaholic

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:

Cheers, noticed that the Irish have eaten their Wheaties and worked hard this offseason based on the huge increase in players >200lbs. They are poised to pummel their non-league foes under Peralta's system. Did the SHC Athletic Dept submit the roster to MaxPreps? Good luck this season!

I'm not exactly sure who sends them in but I will send them a roster, plus a JV and Frosh roster when I get them. They do have a good weight program.

I'll probably catch the Menlo-Atherton game (unless I decide to see St. Mary's roll over SI instead).
This post was edited on 8/20 12:17 PM by Irish_Cheers

Yes the Riordan Frosh coach is horrendous, that is obvious, but John Lee is by FAR the worst Varsity head coach in the league.

Some quotes from his interview (link) that demonstrate how clueless he is:

He says the football field is "fantastic."

He says the facilities are "unbelievable" (in a good way).

Until they get a competent head coach there that football program will be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

This post was edited on 8/15 4:13 PM by Mr. Direct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNRjaK7tXU

Barring any major injuries...

VC 7-0
St. Francis 6-1
Serra 5-2
Mitty 4-3
SI 3-4
Bellarmine 2-5
SHC 1-6
Riordan 0-7

This post was edited on 8/15 4:20 PM by Mr. Direct

PurpleHaze is right. The current Riordan FB roster on MaxPreps is bogus. The roster has not been finalized. Thanks ARHS Stats!

This post was edited on 8/15 4:31 PM by jordan24

Originally posted by Mr. Direct:
Yes the Riordan Frosh coach is horrendous, that is obvious, but John Lee is by FAR the worst Varsity head coach in the league.

Some quotes from his interview (link) that demonstrate how clueless he is:

He says the football field is "fantastic."

He says the facilities are "unbelievable" (in a good way).

Until they get a competent head coach there that football program will be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

This post was edited on 8/15 4:13 PM by Mr. Direct
Mr Direct: I guess Coach Lee was making comparison to SHC's on-campus field. Lol!

The Bells have not won less than 8 games since 2006. In 5 of the last seven years they have double digit wins.
Why is everyone so down on 2014 Bells?
They seem too well coached to me to finish in the lower part of the WCAL.

@WCAL, my library is what is published in the Internet. Info is there…just need to dig :)

As for the league standings at the end of the season, here it is:

1. VC - 5-2
2. Mitty 5-2
3. SF 5-2
4. Serra 4-3
5. SI 4-3
6. Bells 4-3
7. Riordan 1?6
8. SHC 0-7

VC will have two losses because I believe Kirk Johnson will not be healthy through out the season. Whatever injury he incurred last season was serious enough not to play. Nagging injuries could be overcome but when you sit out during the playoffs and numerous games in regular season, it's bad. And when he's not in, VC is mediocre and can be beaten. Initially, I mentioned they go undefeated but VC's world revolves around him. PAL mentioned Serra is not that strong this year and I agree with him. When they have to look for a QB outside the school, then there is a kink in their armour. My dark horse is SI, I think they upset a front runner or two. SF is not as big as last year but they are fast and have two transfer that will make a huge difference. Not sure about their depth but if everyone is healthy coming playoffs, they will be hard to beat. Mitty is a mystery since they have a new coach and tons of players lost to graduation. Monroe is an one-of-a-kind athlete but he's also a big target. Someone has to step up alongside him so that he can roam free offensively. That is when he is dangerous. Bells is going to be a well coach team but they don't have the 6'4 230 LB all-everything QB. He literally carried the team. Like Riordan, they will have to rely on the Juniors and Soph to step it up.

GUYS.....I've seen the Bells JV team only once in 2013 and with them moving up to supplement the varsity in 2014, I do believe the Belles will do a lot better then what people think....We are going to find out in two weeks...

According to Maxpreps, Riordan had 74 players in the 2013/14 season.

Maxpreps? Might as well be the onion of HS sports. I loved this gem last year, one of many they produced.

SAN MATEO, Calif. - De La Salle (Concord, Calif.) came into Saturday's contest ranked No. 12 in the MaxPreps Freeman Rankings, but was shocked bySerra (San Mateo, Calif.), 14-7. Serra was ranked No. 338 nationally and No. 39 in the Freeman Rankings for California coming into the week.

The score was knotted at zero heading into the half. The Padres took the lead indefinitely on a Chris Leahy touchdown run in the third quarter.

De La Salle's lone touchdown came on a 22-yard run by Leahy in the third quarter.

The defeat comes as a step back for De La Salle, who notched a 34-14 victory over Clayton Valley Charter in its previous outing.

Serra (1-0) goes up against Encinal in a non-conference game matchup next week, while De La Salle (1-1) locks horns with St. Mary's also in a non-conference game.

This story is based on information MaxPreps obtained from Qwixcore reports. Qwixcore, MaxPreps new live-scoring tool, allows fans to serve other fans by reporting live scores of games from their phones. Occasionally, errors may occur and are usually a result of incorrect data input. For more information on Qwixcore, or to find out how you can Qwixcore your game, please click here.

@WCAL, my library is what is published in the Internet. Info is there…just need to dig :)

As for the league standings at the end of the season, here it is:

1. VC - 5-2
2. Mitty 5-2
3. SF 5-2
4. Serra 4-3
5. SI 4-3
6. Bells 4-3
7. Riordan 1?6
8. SHC 0-7

VC will have two losses because I believe Kirk Johnson will not be healthy through out the season. Whatever injury he incurred last season was serious enough not to play. Nagging injuries could be overcome but when you sit out during the playoffs and numerous games in regular season, it's bad. And when he's not in, VC is mediocre and can be beaten. Initially, I mentioned they go undefeated but VC's world revolves around him. PAL mentioned Serra is not that strong this year and I agree with him. When they have to look for a QB outside the school, then there is a kink in their armour. My dark horse is SI, I think they upset a front runner or two. SF is not as big as last year but they are fast and have two transfer that will make a huge difference. Not sure about their depth but if everyone is healthy coming playoffs, they will be hard to beat. Mitty is a mystery since they have a new coach and tons of players lost to graduation. Monroe is an one-of-a-kind athlete but he's also a big target. Someone has to step up alongside him so that he can roam free offensively. That is when he is dangerous. Bells is going to be a well coach team but they don't have the 6'4 230 LB all-everything QB. He literally carried the team. Like Riordan, they will have to rely on the Juniors and Soph to step it up.
HSS75,

Last year I would've agreed with you on your assessment of VC's reliance on Johnson, but you're forgetting Morian Walker. This kid is probably just as good. Take a look...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Morian-Walker-151951

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2019009/morian-walker-ii

VC is talented and, this year, DEEP.

This post was edited on 8/15 9:06 PM by PurpleHaze13

Morian Walker has yet to play a varsity game so there is no telling how good he will be. The highlights are from JV ball. I do know he has all the tools to follow all the other great rbs at VC, but the hype will be believed when its done at the varsity level. I also think losing Jesse Osuna will hurt VC more than people think. That guy is a monster LB that made tons of tackles for them for 2 years and was a solid blocking fullback.

This post was edited on 8/15 10:07 PM by PAL95

Originally posted by PAL95:
Morian Walker has yet to play a varsity game so there is no telling how good he will be. The highlights are from JV ball. I do know he has all the tools to follow all the other great rbs at VC, but the hype will be believed when its done at the varsity level. I also think losing Jesse Osuna will hurt VC more than people think. That guy is a monster LB that made tons of tackles for them for 2 years and was a solid blocking fullback.

This post was edited on 8/15 10:07 PM by PAL95
Agreed on Osuna. Big loss.

KJ Carta-Samuels had an offer before he played a varsity game, so D1 recruiters know a player when they see one. I'll defer to them. Not to mention, Walker has great size and speed. I don't think he'll have problems putting up huge numbers this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT