ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Serra Padres

Unless his family actually changed residences(which I dont think is the case) he will have to sit until October 6th. Being that Serra has a bye week in September, he will have to sit out the first 4 games.

I think Serras skill guys will be solid, but not as good as last years. I think they will be quick but not as powerful. Anoia is a huge loss on the offensive end as well as defense as he was a matchup nightmare for any LB or corner that had to cover him. He was also a powerful blocker downfield. Monroe should be a solid target and will make some plays as well as Kelepi. I think what will separate last years team also is Matts scrambling ability. Its not his speed he possesed, it was his shiftyness that teams had trouble with. He was very good for the Padres last year making big time 4th down conversions. It will be hard to ask that much as any first year starter in that offense.

This post was edited on 8/4 4:44 PM by PAL95

Originally posted by PAL95:
I think Serras skill guys will be solid, but not as good as last years. I think they will be quick but not as powerful. Anoia is a huge loss on the offensive end as well as defense as he was a matchup nightmare for any LB or corner that had to cover him. He was also a powerful blocker downfield. Monroe should be a solid target and will make some plays as well as Kelepi. I think what will separate last years team also is Matts scrambling ability. Its not his speed he possesed, it was his shiftyness that teams had trouble with. He was very good for the Padres last year making big time 4th down conversions. It will be hard to ask that much as any first year starter in that offense.

This post was edited on 8/4 4:44 PM by PAL95
Have to agree with PAL95 in regards to Fa'aita whom I was very impressed with. I'll remind everyone once again he is now rated the 4th highest QB in Serra's school history for a single season AND missed 2 games during the season [with 2 of the other QB's ahead of him making it to the NFL incl. Tom Brady- think about this for just a minute]. If Matt Fa'aita doesn't get injured at start of the Buhach Colony game, he almost guaranteed has the best season of any QB in Serra's history [which to me is amazing for a converted RB].
Not only did Fa'aita put up the passing stats, he was very difficult for opposing teams to sack when dropping back - "very slippery".
Therefore I do think its premature to think a new junior QB is going to step in & make everyone forget about Fa'aita [it is also a bit unfair to Hunter Bishop or anyone else at QB for the Padres - unrealistic expectations usually result in disappointment.
Having said that I hope Bishop is as good as advertised.

… but if Bishop is ineligible for the first four or five games of the season, that will be a big problem regardless … VC is early on the Serra sked in league play.

On a side note I heard VC's star linebacker will not be with the team this year. I wont say any names yet, but he allegedly punched another star player on the offense in the face. This is a big blow for VC as this guy was a beast on defense and also played fullback.

On a side note I heard VC's star linebacker will not be with the team this year. I wont say any names yet, but he allegedly punched another star player on the offense in the face. This is a big blow for VC as this guy was a beast on defense and also played fullback.

WCAL Co-MV Linebacker. He's done at VC. It's a shame. Hope he stays focused in education and continue to play football somewhere. Unfortunately, not in WCAL. VC still is a stacked team without him.

While i would agree they are still stacked, but losing an league MVP hurts. He was the best LB they had.

Regarding Bishop, that's fair. I shouldn't hype up a kid who hasn't ever played varsity. Hope he does well and I'll leave it at that.

Originally posted by PAL95:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7dbdZlsR3Y

That is a shame. I was looking forward to watching him play this year. Hopefully this does not adversely affect his chances of playing at the next level.

Originally posted by Streak One:
Best posts on the football board. Very informational and has a strong record of being on point too.
...except for that "Riordan is better than SHC" thing.
roll.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 8/6 10:10 AM by Irish_Cheers

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:

Best posts on the football board. Very informational and has a strong record of being on point too.
...except for that "Riordan is better than SHC" thing.
rolleye0012.r191677.gif
except for in 2013 they actually were better ... we'll have to wait & see for the '14 season if SHC takes control again.

Mitty Monarchs 2014 Pre-season Preview:

MItty Varsity 2013 Team Record = 11-2 Overall, 6-1 League, WCAL Co-Champs losing to other co-champ Serra 31-7 and again in CCS Open Division to Serra by 21-7.

Mitty JV 2013 Team Record = 8-2 Overall, 5-2 league, 3rd Place WCAL.

Mitty Frosh 2013 Team Record = 4-5 Overall, 2-5 league, 6th place in WCAL.

Best Win: A surprisingly easy win over a tough Bellarmine squad by 34-7 in which everything clicked for Mitty including QB Scharrenberg passing 11 of 12. Mitty has another blow out win that shocked many fans in dismantling VC by 37-7 in the CCS Open semi-final. During league Mitty barely got by VC 14-13, but left no doubt who the better team was in the play-offs.

Toughest Loss: Again 2 games in the loss at Serra 31-7 to break the Monarchs unbeaten streak and then a hard fought 21-7 loss to Serra in the Open Championship without Mitty's QB playing.

Summary of 1013 Season:
MItty comes off a very impressive, yet frustrating season losing its 2 biggest games both to Serra & although a tie with Serra for the league title, due to its 31-7 loss to Serra is almost relegated to 2nd place in WCAL. Mitty much like Serra was impressive throughout the season with just one league loss to Serra, while Serra lost a league game to their nemesis St. Francis. The loss in CCS Open Championship had to sting the Monarchs who put up a tremendous battle without their QB Trent Scharrenberg by using their injured back-up QB Foley who could only hand off or run and a JV QB brought in for a few pass attempts. Had Trent Scharrenberg been healthy the game could have possibly had a different outcome. In the 2nd match-up between WCAL Co-Champs Mitty played Serra to a stand-still before taking the lead on a long TD run by Dakari Monroe late in the 4th quarter [7-0 Mitty]. Unfortunately through several crucial mistakes by Mitty which Serra took full advantage of, Serra crushed any hopes the Monarchs may have had in the 4th quarter with the final score Serra 21-Mitty 7.
Other than the 2 losses to Serra the MItty Monarch's seemed almost unstoppable in 2013 winning their first 9 games which included 2 close wins over VC 14-13 and SF 13-12. Going into the CCS Open Playoffs Mitty rolled past Palma 28-0 and then gave VC their biggest beat-down of the year 37-7 [which no one saw coming after the previous 14-13 win by Mitty in WCAL league play]. It does seem fair however that Serra & Mitty were the 2 dominating forces in the WCAL and tied as the league champs.
Mitty & Serra again enter 2014 as the 2 highest rated WCAL teams and very close in power ratings with Mitty holding a very slight edge.

Who Does Mitty Lose for 2014?
Let's start with WCAL Co-MVP Chandler Ramierez, RB/LB and a force on both offense & defense for Mitty. Trent Scharrenberg the QB & field general for the Monarchs - Scharrenberg may have been more valuable as a leader of the team rather than a prolific passing QB at the high school level. Next up not returning is Sean Stanelle - Co MVP Linebacker for league, Co-MVP DB Drew Mount a leader of the Monarchs on Defense, Daniel Mendoza - first team OL/DL, Erik Sargis - first team LB, Sean Stanelle - first team LB, Chris Freed - first team OL/DL, Brian Bither - DB, Luke Rasmussen - OL, Zack Severs - WR. Players noted = 11 players of impact including 7 first team WCAL selections including 4 considered as the best at their position in the WCAL.

Who Returns for the Monarchs in 2014?
Mitty returns 34 varsity players to top WCAL teams in highest number of returning players. Players expected to contribute are:
Dakari Monroe - 6'0 - 180, RB/DB/KR/Athlete - one of the most exciting players to watch in the upcoming season.
Matt Tufano - 6'1 - 195, FB/LB, Trevor Lewis - 6'2 - 185, RB/DB, Brett Foley - 6'3 - 220, QB, played injured in CCS Open Championship vs Serra, good runner during the season when used and should be the Monarch's next leader in 2014. Tommy Hudson - 6'5-250, TE/DE,
So the big question with Mitty is with losing so much talent does enough return with help from a good 8-2 JV team to make another run towards the title and CCS Open this season? As for sheer size Mitty returns 13 players listed in 2013 over 200 with 5 over 225, so Mitty should be solid physically in playing most teams.

Pre-Season Upcoming Games:
Mitty lines up first against what should be a solid Los Gatos team Friday, Sept. 5th at 7:00 p.m. at LG. This game should be a good indicator if Mitty resembles the team of 2013 in facing the Div. II Champ that dominated St. Francis in a CCS upset win.
Next up is Palo Alto on MItty's home turf Sept. 19th at 7:30 p.m. in a game Mitty will be expected to win.
Pittsburgh at home Sept. 26th is the big game many fans will be waiting to see. Should Mitty lose to Los Gatos in the opener then the game against Pitt becomes crucial prior to WCAL play. Mitty will open WCAL league play vs SHC Friday Oct. 3rd at home.

Forecast for 2014 season for Monarch's:
By end of pre-season MItty should be 3-0 or 2-1 & anything less will be very sobering for Mitty fans entering WCAL league play.
Mitty's 2 big tests come late in season vs Serra on Halloween Oct. 31rst at Mitty at 7:00 P.M. [sounds like a great game already], and then VC also at home Nov. 8th at 7:00 p.m. In the 2013 season Mitty averaged 105 yards passing per game and 215 yards rushing per game for a 320 yard average offense output per game which included 48 TD's & 29 QB sacks. Mitty's weak point was its passing game which was inconsistent depending on the opponent and the coaches game plan for that week. Scharrenberg's stats were 68/120 for 1365 yards & 17 TDs with 9 INT's, which are good by WCAL standards, but not outstanding as needed against top tier teams. Mitty passed when it needed to and at times did not pass much at all. In one of Mitty's best wins vs Bellarmine Scharrenberg passed 11 of 12 for 170 yards while against Serra was 4 of 12 for 108 yards and against SI was 6 of 10 for 45 yards. The Monarch rushing game however was very consistent with a 6.06 APC for the season for all RB's with a season total of 2800 yards rushing. Dakari Monroe ran for 727 yards on just 79 carries while Chandler Ramierez the other featured RB ran for 734 yards and reserve QB Brett Foley ran for 279 yards on 54 carries. As for the passing game Dakari Monroe was also the Monarch's leading WR, but with only 19 receptions and a 21 yard avg with 5 TD's. The other WR Mitty will be counting on is Tommy Hudson at 6'5 - 250 who had 7 receptions for 168 yards with a 24 yd avg & 3 TD's. Trevor Lewis will be the Monarch's premier cover DB taking over for Drew Mount who led the secondary. Lewis also a good athlete also had 3 INT's in 2013. Mitty was very good in 2013 behind only one other team. While Mitty had 2 close wins they also rolled over a number of good opponents leaving no doubt in the wins. In scoring Mitty finished averaging a TD less than Serra per game while Mitty's D was #1 in WCAL and also #1 overall in season for the 8 WCAL teams. If MItty is to be as successful in 2014 their passing game will have to improve if nothing else. I expect their run game to again be consistent and the D to be solid once again as well, but the passing game will likely have to avg 150 yards per game to win the whole enchilada this year [VC coaches are you listening?].

Next up: Predictions for WCAL League Finish and first game scores:

Nice preview. It does seem like Mitty loses a lot of talent. I do know a lot of juniors last year played huge minutes on defense towards the end of the season. It will be interesting to see how the new coach runs his offense. Will it be similar to last years or will they undergo a whole new makeover? I also know that they have another really good quarterback in Josh Sears who I would say could be the starter eventually if they plan on throwing the ball. He has good size, accurate, and has a cannon. Foley is more of an option quarterback, so if they run that kind of offense then it fits him. He is big, and very physical for a qb. They need to find ways to get the ball to Hudson. Huge target like you stated 6-5 250 asu commit. They do have some speed at the skill positions, but one they need to get going is Monroe. He has to be the best playmaker to ever come out of Mitty. He has been making big plays on offense, defense, and special teams since his sophomore year. He's got size, speed, and that IT factor. He will be playing on Saturdays. This is one team where it's hard to say how they will do. They could make a run at a title again, or have lapses this year.

Regarding the Serra write up. It says that Serra will be playing Sherman Oaks. The game is actually against Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks who happen to be ranked 20th in CA preseason by the HSFB 100.(used to be called Rivals)

Originally posted by WCAL75:
Regarding the Serra write up. It says that Serra will be playing Sherman Oaks. The game is actually against Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks who happen to be ranked 20th in CA preseason by the HSFB 100.(used to be called Rivals)
WCAL75 - you make an excellent point and the team Serra is playing should accurately be called "Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks".
I abbreviated to "Sherman Oaks" as there are 2 Notre Dame high schools in the same section, so thought it easier to identify who Serra was playing, but unfortunately there is also a Sherman Oaks high school in SoCal which I just found out.

Looking at the Freeman pre-season projected rankings for CA to give everyone an idea, the rankings show DLS at #5 in state,
Mitty at #36, Serra at #38 and Notre Dame - Sherman Oaks at #52. More on the state rankings later when I break down the pre-season opponents the WCAL schools will face off against.

Rmbr26 I give Serra big time credit for playing Notre Dame. They are a good Socal team. Coach Walsh should be commended for his scheduling. Win or lose its those types of games along with DLS that will make Serra a better team in the long run. I know that Cal 14 will be at the game and hopefully he can give us updates. It would be nice if NFHS will be showing the game.

This post was edited on 8/8 10:22 AM by WCAL75

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Valley Christian Warriors

I'm not sure who is agreeing with what.

FUBO says " VC will probably have have one of their way above average years"
Then PH agrees with FUBO but then adds "VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature."
Then IC agrees with PH
Which colhenry agrees with as well.
Then FUBO says "I'm pleased you all agree with me." Which would mean that we are agreeing with what FUBO said "VC will probably have have one of their way above average years"

So are we agreeing that "VC will probably have have one of their way above average years" or are we agreeing that "VC takes league. Too fast, too explosive, too mature." or both.
confused0024.r191677.gif
I agree...

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Mitty Monarch's

Rmber 26 - Another outstanding set of posts. I think your analyses gets better every year. Kudos to your work!!!!

Rmbr26 I give Serra big time credit for playing Notre Dame. They are a good Socal team. Coach Walsh should be commended for his scheduling. Win or lose its those types of games along with DLS that will make Serra a better team in the long run. I know that Cal 14 will be at the game and hopefully he can give us updates. It would be nice if NFHS will be showing the game.

This post was edited on 8/8 10:22 AM by WCAL75
Yes it is good to see Walsh scheduling good clubs. SOND is a quality program who produces some players (Stanton, Fargas etc). Rooney is a very good coach, plus with the transfer of CJ Sanders they might just have one of the best WR's in the state. Great early test for Serra.

This post was edited on 8/8 6:22 PM by bella123

Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish by School:

If you've followed my posts I stated my initial team assessments in order from bottom to top based upon the pre-season info I collected. They were as follows:

#1 Mitty
#2 Serra
#3 VC
#4 SF
#5 SI
#6 Bells
#7 Riordan
#8 SHC

I've made a few "adjustments" along with my own perspective of how teams will perform this coming season. The variables most likely to change any predictions would be any surprises at QB and the biggest unknown - whose JV talent will perform at the varsity level. All things said here are my pre-season predicts for the league in 2014:

#1 Serra
# 2 Mitty
#3 VC
#4 SF [my "Dark Horse" pick to surprise this season & possibly finish 2nd]
#5 SI
#6 Bells
#7 Riordan
#8 SHC

So I've reversed Mitty & Serra and not too much change to my earlier picks otherwise. One thing to keep in mind is the top tier teams return roughly 50% of their teams from last season and then you have to see what they lost in the other 50% & how much talent returns along with last seasons results. Serra was largely dominant except for the SF loss last season and returns one of the 2 best backfields in the league along with VC. Serra also returns a number of good players incl. their best WR and Walsh seems to have his system reloading quite nicely during the last several seasons. Serra also will likely have a capable QB and I like their chances again this season. Mitty other than the 2 Serra loses was the other dominant team and rolled over most teams with the close wins over VC & SF, BUT still won. Mitty lost a lot of talent but also returns a good core of players and had a number of quality wins last season incl. the dismantling of VC in the CCS Open semi-final. VC should be physical & have the best RB corps in the league to rival Serra, but the passing game is still a major question mark. I know many fans are high on VC to take it all this year, but I am not convinced at this point - the reason being the blow out loss to Serra late last season along with the poor showing against Mitty in CCS. While each season is different, the teams still return with approx. 50% of those players and its hard to see a complete turn-around often in teams that had significant losses the year previous [though injuries can alter any teams success]. For VC to succeed the coaching staff has to develop a consistent pass game and the obvious QB choice of Machado will have to perform at a different level. St. Francis suffered the worst loss of their season the last game of the season to Los Gatos. For 2014 SF should be slightly better even with their high profile transfers, one of whom is not a lock at QB yet [or maybe is?]. SI looks to be about as good and has several skill players from 2013 they simply will not be able to replace, so status quo for the Wildcats. The Bells look to be in a down cycle after numerous strong years with outstanding QB's [last 5 years]. Without the skill players they were blessed with previously, lack of size on the line and most likely an athlete QB to run the team the Bells will settle into the lower tier unless there is a big surprise. Riordan has a tough pre-season which should help them unless they are decimated by injuries. While they are ranked well below SHC I still see Riordan as having more overall talent on paper and should take down SHC a 2nd time. SHC has a pre-season that will not likely prepare them well for WCAL play and may make the difference in the SHC-Riordan game.
SHC needs a different game plan than last season and needs to take advantage of their QB Logan White with 3 years experience at the varsity level which is rare for the WCAL. SHC also should have better talent at the RB positions and with a few good WR's could score some points. SHC like Riordan will need to slow the other WCAL schools down on offense in order to stay with them hopefully.

Conclusion: I do not see any big surprises this season in WCAL and the order of finish looks to be similar to last season.
Many fans indicate that the first 4 teams could be interchangeable in any order, but that is the hard part in picking them 1-2-3-4.
While SI shows a huge jump in power ratings largely due to their 2013 passing game stats and the return of their QB, like the Bells in 2013 SI simply lost too much talent from last years team to challenge for the WCAL title in 2014. I think the WCAL will be a 4 tier league this season with 2 teams clearly again at the top, 2 teams chasing them at #3 & 4, #5 & #6 SI & Bells treading water and Riordan & SHC looking for a strategy to compete along with players who will emerge as WCAL performers at the skill positions.

Next Up Predicts for Opening Games

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish

It looks like Serra will have to play VC without Bishop at QB. That's a critical ballgame. Give VC the edge. VC should be favored to win the WCAL. But we shall see.

Originally posted by colhenrylives:
It looks like Serra will have to play VC without Bishop at QB. That's a critical ballgame. Give VC the edge. VC should be favored to win the WCAL. But we shall see.
Bishop is not the end-all QB by any means for Serra Colhenry and I believe coach Walsh has more than enough time to prepare an alternative team leader with the athletes he has for the game with VC.

I agree, but also have a feeling that no team will outright win the WCAL this season. Probably co-champs.Will Serra get through Saint Francis? I think like you VC has the advantage at that time of the season when they play. Mitty will have a good core of players, but I think they depth will be an issue.

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Again??

Originally posted by Rmbr26:
Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish by School:

"While they are ranked well below SHC I still see Riordan as having more overall talent on paper and should take down SHC a 2nd time."
sign0001.r191677.gif

To quote Ronnie: "Well, there you go again".
This post was edited on 8/15 9:49 AM by Irish_Cheers

St. Francis is a good pick for dark horse. If they can find some offense, they will be tough.

St. Francis is a good pick for dark horse. If they can find some offense, they will be tough.
I'd never doubt it. They'll be dredging up that "Bellarmine is Skeeerd" video again.

I might be by myself on this one, but I think this year Serra could take a huge step back and fall in the middle of the pack in the WCAL this year. With two losses in preseason to two very good teams ( Spartans and Sherman Oaks), and then a loss to VC in their league opener, you have them starting off at 1-3. They just won't have the weapons and size as they had last year. It will be too much to ask for a QB to even come close to duplicating what Matt did last year for them. Cassidy is a quality back and so is Kelepi, but it won't be explosive enough to be dominant at times as they were last year. Defense will be still hard hitting, but they lose too many big time athletes that will be hard to replace THIS year. You can also say the same thing for Mitty with them losing alot of hard to replace talent although they have Monroe, who does everything and Hudson who should get more touches, and if the option is ran this year Brett Foley is a tough QB. They will need new names to step up on offense because they usually are solid on defense with Tofano at lb leading the way. These two teams are at the top of the list right now, but I could easily see them both somewhere in the middle unless some new talent steps up, which I am pretty sure both teams have, but we will see. I think the reason why everyone is so high on VC because they have PROVEN talent. We all have seen the Johnson's, Quimby, and Mcloud play at a high level at times last year. We know what they are capable of and its up to coach to get the ball in the air to cause fits for opponents. I can't wait for these games to begin!!!!!!

I was just curious how the incoming seniors performed during their FR and JV years and how bringing up players impacted each JV team's play/records. I've listed the players who were brought up to varsity below after their FR year (Roster data from MaxPreps). As you can see, most of the players are impact players and have been successful at varsity level. VC went undefeated in their FR campaign. Serra was second and SF (lost to Serra and VC) went third. The three SF schools were at the bottom. With the impact players going to Varsity the following year, the standings is quite interesting. SI who sent zero sophomores to varsity went undefeated while Serra and VC were tied at 5th with wins against Riordan and SHC. VC sent an all-star team to Varsity and it negatively affected VC's play in JV. Interesting that Serra dropped off drastically when they only sent three players up.

Initially, 14 players from the 2012/13 FR (incoming juniors this year) class were brought up to varsity the following year. Whereas, there were 27 players brought from the 2011/12 FR class. Very good players are asked to go up to Varsity but they also have a choice to stay down to get more playing time and avoid sitting on the bench waiting for their name to be called. VC: Dan Dunham and Brandon Alexander Bellarmine: Anthony Guttaduaro, SHC: Jordan DeFIesta, Serra: Chris Vilanueva, James Outman and Jericho Tufano, SF: Riley Quin and Alex Carbonel, Riordan: Angelo Novello, Mitty: Tevor Lewis, SI: Rob Meagher and Ryan Hagfeldt were WCAL all-leaguers that came out of JV so there were advantages staying down.

Year in and year out, the Seniors are going to lead the way. They are the leaders and understand how important it is to win in a game in WCAL play. SO expect the Seniors mentioned in this post to step it up.

List of the players who were brought up to Varsity Soph Yr.
Mitty: Dakare Monroe*, Brett Foley, Thomas Hudson *
Serra: Kava Casssidy*, Peter Camorot, John Fano
Riordan: Jake Cochrane, Tommy Plantz
Bellarmine: Curtis Calomeni* Michael Soto
St Francis: Brycen Carbonel, Devin Hurtado, Zach Toussant, Justin Dunne, Steve Dinneen
St Ignatius: None
Valley Christian: Yusuf Haddad, Kirk Johnson*, Michael Machado, Blair Ewers, Mark Quimby, Jesse Osuna*, Sean Harris, Tre Mcloud*
SHC: Maxwell Tenof*, Logan White, Nicholas Sison-Guat*, Benjamin Malakof*
* All-League as Juniors

2011/12 Freshman Standings:
Valley Christian 7-0Serra 6-1St Francis 5-2Mitty, Bells (both) 3-4St Ignatius 2-5Sacred Heart Cathedral 1-6Riordan 0-72012/13 JV Standings:
St Ignatius 7-0St Francis 6-1Mitty 5-2Bellarmine 3-4Serra, Valley Christian (both) 2-5-1SHC 1-6Riordan 0-72012/13 Fr class # players brought up to Varsity.
SI: None
SF: None
Bellammine: 5
Mitty: 2
SHC: 1
VC: 2
Serra:3
Riordan: 1

Records: (Bells and VC stayed strong), Serra went winless the following year. Maybe Serra JV coaches are not as good….

Bellarmine FR: 7-0 JV: 6-1
Valley Christian FR:6-1 JV: 6-1
Mitty FR 4-3 (?) JV: 5-2
SHC FR: 0-7 JV: 4-3
SI FR: 1-6 (?) JV: 2-5
SF FR: 2-5 JV: 2-5
Serra FR:4-3 JV: 0-7
Riordan FR: 5-2 JV: 3-4

I know, I know...quite a bit to digest...
This post was edited on 8/14 10:26 AM by HSS75

Really good post HSS75 & some great info on the transition from JV to varsity and the differences in the JV teams year to year.
The addition of the upcoming JV players and what they will contribute to the varsity is the biggest question mark going into any season. In my posts I list the possible number of returning varsity players and the top tier teams in WCAL almost always have the most returning players, whether they were standouts or not their junior year. The better teams with bigger rosters bring up the talented sophs to give them time & groom them into the transition, so that by their 3rd varsity year as seniors they'll be seasoned varsity players. The smaller squads [ie: SHC, RR] in recent years have brought them up out of necessity and thrown them into the mix albeit a bit early hoping for the best, while the better teams seem to use the sophs sparingly unless they are extremely talented athletes.

Not sure how a winning JV team translates into improving a varsity team the next season. More so I think its individual as to talented skill players or lineman who grow 2-3" and put on 20-30 lbs. over the summer. The 2 best RB's in WCAL will be Kirk Johnson of VC & Kava Cassidy of Serra, who both were brought up as sophs and saw significant playing time which is somewhat rare. BTW I am not out leaving out the other talented RB Dakari Monroe of Mitty, but I regard Dakari more as an "athlete" player as he does not get the number of carries as Johnson or Cassidy and is also a WR and KR and has even punted - true multi-purpose player. These 3 players alone should make for some great highlight reels this season.
This post was edited on 8/13 9:05 PM by Rmbr26

Monroe, Cassidy and Johnson all had great years on the Varsity level as sophomores. Johnson had over 1000 yards and was a nice one two punch with Severson ( Colorado) . Johnson was also a little banged up during that year but still put up huge numbers. I also remember Johnson being out in the freshman WCAL championship game because of injury. If he stays healthy, watch out!, Cassidy got more carries as the season wore down and countered another talented back in Redwood. Monroe took a couple of kickoffs back for tds, rushed for a couple, and had some picks on defense as a corner his soph year on varsity. I believe these three teams all had battles as freshman with close games and I expect nothing less this year on the Varsity level.

2014 WCAL Season Opening Games - analysis & prediction:

First Up: Riordan vs Milpitas, Saturday Sept. 5th at Milpitas 7:00 P.M.

First off let me say that Riordan has one of the toughest pre-season schedules and deserves some respect alone for that adjustment to their schedule. They will be playing 3 very good teams in Milpitas, Sacred Heart Prep & Menlo Atherton.
The first game vs Milpitas will be a challenge for this "new" Crusader's team ["non-Masoli"]. Milpitas was the 2013 CCS Div. I Champ and lost only 2 games to Valley Christian & Los Gatos by 21 & 24 points respectively. Riordan finished out 2013 with their best effort of the season in a competitive 35-22 loss to Bellarmine. Riordan returns 25 varsity players and gets added help at the skill positions coming up from JV with some much needed speed. Riordan's JV team at 6/4-3/4 for 2013 should add roster numbers to make the Crusaders more competitive in 2014 if the coaching staff is up to the challenge as well.

Here is the challenge Riordan faces:

Riordan 2013 Season ending power rating: 8.8
Riordan 2014 Pre-season power rating: 2.4

Milpitas 2013 Season ending power rating: 32.5
Milpitas 2014 Pre-season power rating: 31 [rated closely in power rating to SI]

Crusader's fans feeling a bit queasy yet? It is not all bad news however as the Crusader's have nothing to lose in a game everyone will expect them to lose. Its time for the Riordan coaching staff in their head coaches 2nd year to perhaps try a new strategy. Previously I've said that Riordan first needs to start on defense and that's where the majority of their best athletes should be. Riordan's offense likely cannot out-score the better teams so its best game plan would be to slow them down and hope for turn-overs, field position and big plays from new skill position players - perhaps on special teams.

As for Milpitas here is what Riordan will be facing: Milpitas is a large roster team that is usually big & physical and this year's team fits that description once again. From a team roster of 68 in 2013 Milpitas returns 43 varsity players including 14 starters. The upside is Milpitas very good QB graduated and their star RB as well, so they will have new players at their most important skill positions as well. Milpitas best players returning are: Uate Mataele 6'4 - 345, DT, Tevita Musika 6'2 - 350, O/D-Line, Christian Rita 6'0 - 170, WR/DB, Jason Scrempos 6'6 - 250, DE/TE.

Prediction: The last thing Riordan wants in this game is a blow-out with a running clock in the 3rd quarter to start the season.
Milpitas is largely a running team and should be played that way & Riordan's coaching staff should do everything they can to slow Milpitas down and put pressure on their new QB. I believe against Milpitas Riordan should stack the box and play the run on nearly every play & blitz whenever possible - hopefully having speed at CB & help from the safety to cover WR Christian Rita. On offense I think Riordan needs to keep the game plan simple with a number of option plays mixed in to confuse Milpitas. Hopefully Riordan's new QB Jack Luavasa can get into some kind of rhythm with short passes or screens to the flat. All this of course is supposition at this point until we get a view of the first couple of series in the game. Milpitas will be favored from 3-5 TD's in this game and likely Riordan will not be expected to put up many points [as in possibly a score]. The key is the "slow down" in order to keep the game within reach competitively.

Being the first game I think the Crusader's will be motivated to prove themselves and give their fans a good showing.

Milpitas 28 - Riordan 10

This post was edited on 8/14 8:46 AM by Rmbr26

Originally posted by Rmbr26:

Milpitas 28 - Riordan 10
Really, Rmbr??? Even with Riordan's superior off-season workouts/camps and their mighty thumpers???....
roll.r191677.gif

This post of yours will get those jackrabbit fans cringing in their panties...

--------------

P.S. Excellent post, Rmbr!

This post was edited on 8/14 10:03 AM by TedSmithers

Riordan will also have its hands full with Savion Black who could be just as good or better than last years Squally Canada. He has speed, toughness and size for a RB. Judging from what I saw at the San Jose St camp this summer, Milpitas will have a very physical defense with size and athletes. Those boys love contact! Riordan better have those chin straps on tight!

"Milpitas will be favored from 3-5 TD's in this game and likely Riordan will not be expected to put up many points [as in possibly a score]. The key is the "slow down" in order to keep the game within reach competitively. Being the first game I think the Crusader's will be motivated to prove themselves and give their fans a good showing."

Here's a few more with some beef.
Chiristian Haangana OL/DL 6-7 330, Sii Maetele OL/DL 5'10 300, Mone Foketi OL/DL 6'2 260

So if they theoretically put the two Maetele, Musika, Scrempos(TE), Foketi and Haangana on the line, you are averaging 306lbs! Could be the heaviest line in CCS if not California.

Milpitas is a big school. I think around 3000 kids. They always produce good athletes in any sport. They were always tough to play against many moons ago when I was sporting a mullet. Its always tough to predict the outcome of the first game of the season but i'm also taking Milpitas to win due to their sheer numbers and size. There will always be speed in that team but not sure who is going to be the #1 back. Riordan's Seniors were not successful during the FR and JV campaign and did not really contribute much last year. They will rely mostly from the Juniors and possible upcoming sophmores. I don't think a young group will carry Riordan in this game and the rest of the season but they will be determined. Milpitas 31 - Riordan 14

This post was edited on 8/14 11:18 AM by HSS75

Originally posted by HSS75:
"Milpitas will be favored from 3-5 TD's in this game and likely Riordan will not be expected to put up many points [as in possibly a score]. The key is the "slow down" in order to keep the game within reach competitively. Being the first game I think the Crusader's will be motivated to prove themselves and give their fans a good showing."

Here's a few more with some beef.
Chiristian Haangana OL/DL 6-7 330, Sii Maetele OL/DL 5'10 300, Mone Foketi OL/DL 6'2 260

So if they theoretically put the two Maetele, Musika, Scrempos(TE), Foketi and Haangana on the line, you are averaging 306lbs! Could be the heaviest line in CCS if not California.

Milpitas is a big school. I think around 3000 kids. They always produce good athletes in any sport. They were always tough to play against many moons ago when I was sporting a mullet. Its always tough to predict the outcome of the first game of the season but i'm also taking Milpitas to win due to their sheer numbers and size. There will always be speed in that team but not sure who is going to be the #1 back. Riordan's Seniors were not successful during the FR and JV campaign and did not really contribute much last year. They will rely mostly from the Juniors and possible upcoming sophmores. I don't think a young group will carry Riordan in this game and the rest of the season but they will be determined. Milpitas 31 - Riordan 14

This post was edited on 8/14 11:18 AM by HSS75

John Lee usually has a smart game plan but I think Milpitas' huge line will prevent the Riordan offense from making too much noise. I don't think it will be this close.

PS, sorry about your mullet.
cool0008.r191677.gif

Jordan24, PurpleHaze etc etc have brought up a most impressive off-season preparation for the Crusaders although I hear different. Prep2prep quoted Coach Lee saying this is the most talented group of skill guys he has coached in 6 years. Lee, the QB coach and OC, is in his second year with a senior QB with game experience and a talented junior along with a new hand picked O line coach with WCAL head coach experience. They have had 6 months to work with each other. If they lose by 4-5 touchdowns, don't score till the 4th quarter, have a running clock, Jordan24 Purplehaze Cityfan and the others will be buying Kleenex by the case. I hope they reverse the trend of zero and one win seasons and surprise a lot of people.

I'd be shocked if Riordan loses by less than 5 touchdowns.

Originally posted by FUBO:
Jordan24, PurpleHaze etc etc have brought up a most impressive off-season preparation for the Crusaders although I hear different.
FUBO, Mr. Direct and even Ted Smithers have all brought up valid points in the challenges facing the Riordan Football program.
The Riordan supporters in any of their posts have not proclaimed this season's Crusader Football team champions by any means. But the offseason activity, participation and excitement on Phelan Ave. is the biggest change and was not seen in previous coaching regimes.
It's now PUT UP or SHUT UP time. Go Crusaders!

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Riordan vs Milpitas

For all those focusing on some of those massive (fat?) MIlipitas kids, there is hope that they are slow and grossly out of shape. If Riordan has new team speed, hey, maybe this game will be closer than everyone thinks. Give me a 6-3, 195-pound kid with speed and toughness over a 6-7, 335-pound sloth any day of the week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT