ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2014 - Returning Impact Players for 2015

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Riordan vs Milpitas

"According to Maxpreps, Riordan had 74 players in the 2013/14 season.
Maxpreps? Might as well be the onion of HS sports. I loved this gem last year, one of many they produced."

I'm actually insinuating that Riordan is not telling the truth. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish in publshing the number of players have they but it's not working.

This post was edited on 8/15 11:29 PM by HSS75

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish

I agree he has the tools, but he also has to compete with Mcloud, who did very well in place of Johnson last year, and Quinby who had flashes last yearvalso. With all those backs Walker wont be able to put up huge numbers until his senior year unless he is the #2 back this year which I dont know. I guess its a good problem for VC to have! Im just curious to how they will split up the carries with 4 legit tailbacks. In regards to Carta Samuels, he had an older brother that was a player, so I think scouts took that into consideration. I know Walker is getting attention, but I dont believe he has any offers yet, but I could be wrong. His time will be next year I believe.

Re: WCAL 2014 Pre-Season Preview - Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish

"Last year I would've agreed with you on your assessment of VC's reliance on Johnson, but you're forgetting Morian Walker. This kid is probably just as good. Take a look..."

Kirk ia a special breed. He was brought up as a sophomore and excelled. He was unstoppable force when he was a FR and Soph (as Varsity). Morian walker is also a great athlete but coaches know when they have something special. If they think Morian is special enough to go to varsity then they would've moved him up but they didn't. Morian will be a DI back and will be feature back behind Kirk, but again, he has not faced a varsity defense. We will see....

Originally posted by HSS75:
"According to Maxpreps, Riordan had 74 players in the 2013/14 season.
Maxpreps? Might as well be the onion of HS sports. I loved this gem last year, one of many they produced."

I'm actually insinuating that Riordan is not telling the truth. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish in publshing the number of players have they but it's not working.

This post was edited on 8/15 11:29 PM by HSS75
That's a strong probability and most likely. I'm just pointing out that if you are gonna do that Maxpreps is the perfect source to bite. No fact checking. It's up to the school (coach) to provide the info, but ultimately they publish it without verifying it.

HSS75, Bella is correct as well made mention by IrishCheers, MaxPreps did the changes. No one from Riordan submitted any 2014 roster information.
This was confirmed by ARHS STATS (Riordan's statistician), as he just revised the roster to only show the 25 sr returnees. The FB program may have its struggles, but your insinuation that Riordan is pumping in misinformation...you are way off base. Ask the frequent WCAL posters and ARHS STATS only reports the facts and is highly respected within the NorCal CIF, CCS and the WCAL.

This post was edited on 8/16 6:59 AM by jordan24

Re: WCAL 2014 Prediction for WCAL 2014 League Finish

Originally posted by jordan24:

Originally posted by WCAL75:

Anyone else that wants to put their predictions on league order of finish feel free to do so.
VC
Mitty
Serra
SF
Riordan
SI
Bellarmine
SHC

This post was edited on 8/15 4:36 PM by jordan24
Well since you asked, here you go:

SHC - Obviously the Irish juggernaut will once again run the table and sham-rock anybody who gets in their way.
Valley Christian (San Jose, not Dublin). They just might have a decent season.
Mitty
Bellarmine
St. Francis
Serra (These above four will probably all tie each other)
Riordan (Will obviously roll over S.I.)
S.I. - Nobody likes S.I.

How it will probably finish if I get some decent Pick 'ems:

Valley Chrisitan
Mitty
St. Francis
Bellarmine
Serra
SHC
S.I.
Riordan

2014 WCAL Season Opening Games - Analysis & Prediction:

Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Galileo of SF Sept. 5th, Saturday at 2:00 p.m. at Galileo

The past 2 seasons for the SHC Irish have been very similar in that they have started out playing very well in their pre-season games. Starting in 2013 SHC had 2 wins & an impressive close loss to the eventual CCS Div. 1 Champ Milpitas. Afterwards when the WCAL season kicked in the Irish went 0-7 to finish at the bottom of the league, including being the victim of Riordan's first WCAL victory in 3 seasons. As for the WCAL teams pre-season schedules the Irish have the weakest schedule of the league's 8 teams this season and not likely to benefit them preparing for again a very difficult league gauntlet. Galileo does not report a lot of specifics on its football program, so will relate to the fans based upon the info I was able to obtain.

First let's look at last season & this season's starting power ratings:

SHC 2013 Season ending power rating: 11.7
SHC 2014 Pre-season power rating: 18.2

Galileo 2013 Season ending power rating: .0
Galileo 2014 Pre-season power rating: -0.1

This game appears on face value to be more of a scrimmage than an actual competitive game and not entirely a slight on Galileo players, but all the numbers & stats favor the SHC team/program. While Galileo sported a 12- 1 record for 2013 the record is reflective of the fact they did not play any teams of note with winning records [ie: "quality opponents"].. The more you read the more this mismatch becomes apparent.

The Irish of SHC show a roster of 51 players & if the Galileo info is remotely accurate then SHC should not need all 51 players for this "game". The Galileo Lions return up to 20 players from last year's varsity. The Galileo JV squad went 0-7 last season with a roster showing under 20 players, which currently translates to a 2014 varsity roster of approx. 25-30 players. From the team info available it would appear on face value the Galileo stats are a bit misleading showing 247 passing per game, 171 yards rushing per game & 88 TD;s scored - all impressive stats until you view their schedule of woeful opponents.
Galileo for the most part lost all their top skill players to graduation. Their possible starting QB would be P. Trans who has little varsity playing time experience. Their top returning skill player is WR - R. Morgan who averaged 2 catches per game. Galileo also appears to be a small team on both its O & D-lines.

Conclusion: SHC should be an improved team in 2014 [with the key words being "should be"]. Can the Irish avoid a repeat of the 2012 & 2013 seasons with respectable pre-seasons and not much else to chalk up in regular season success? The Irish will enter their first 2014 game as the 18th highest ranked team in CCS which will unfortunately only be deserved with a 2014 win over a quality opponent. Can SHC justify a rating this much higher over 2013? SHC is favored to win its first 3 pre-season games and then is also favored to win over Riordan in WCAL league play. All stats, records & rosters considered SHC should be able to pass & run on offense and shut Galileo down on defense. The Irish will have the advantage in sheer roster numbers, physical size of players as well as overall experience. SHC has 3rd year QB Logan White who should have a field day in this game while SHC also showcases their new featured RB Jamar Williams-Sheppard. This is a game which should be decided by halftime & should not be close competitively. If the final score is within 3 scores then the Irish are looking at an uphill battle the rest of the 2014 season.

Prediction: SHC 35 - Galileo 6
This post was edited on 8/16 7:08 PM by Rmbr26

Maybe they just want a taste of victory because its highly possible they wont get that feeling for a long time when league play starts.

Originally posted by PAL95:
Maybe they just want a taste of victory because its highly possible they wont get that feeling for a long time when league play starts.
It won't be easy for anybody when league play starts.

Conclusion: SHC should be an improved team in 2014 [with the key words being "should be"]. Can the Irish avoid a repeat of the 2012 & 2013 seasons with respectable pre-seasons and not much else to chalk up in regular season success? The Irish will enter their first 2014 game as the 18th highest ranked team in CCS which will unfortunately only be deserved with a 2014 win over a quality opponent. Can SHC justify a rating this much higher over 2013? SHC is favored to win its first 3 pre-season games and then is also favored to win over Riordan in WCAL league play. All stats, records & rosters considered SHC should be able to pass & run on offense and shut Galileo down on defense. The Irish will have the advantage in sheer roster numbers, physical size of players as well as overall experience. SHC has 3rd year QB Logan White who should have a field day in this game while SHC also showcases their new featured RB Jamar Williams-Sheppard. This is a game which should be decided by halftime & should not be close competitively. If the final score is within 3 scores then the Irish are looking at an uphill battle the rest of the 2014 season.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't think the score will be even this close. It might be 35-0 by halftime. Galileo will only have 25 players and none of the skill players from last season. Irish will have 38-40 players, lots of 200+lb players and much better skill players.

party0012.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 8/28 10:10 AM by Irish_Cheers

Regarding SHC & Riordan there is no reason why these 2 teams cannot be more competitive this season than the last 2 seasons, which were rather abysmal in league play. Both their overall rosters numbers appear better and both teams appear to have a fairly solid core of players to compete with other WCAL teams. As for SHC they have a huge plus with a 3rd year returning QB and now a quality RB in Sheppard - so SHC has 2 key pieces to the puzzle already in place. It will be interesting to see how the 2 coaching staffs at SHC & Riordan plan their offensive & defensive schemes for this season: will the fans see a new look from either or both teams or will it be "business as usual" which translates into a replay of 2012 + 2013? Both teams will need improved special teams play this season as one of the keys to their success.

Next Up: Preview of Bellarmine vs Franklin [Elk Grove] - should be a good game!

Originally posted by Rmbr26:
Regarding SHC & Riordan there is no reason why these 2 teams cannot be more competitive this season than the last 2 seasons, which were rather abysmal in league play. Both their overall rosters numbers appear better and both teams appear to have a fairly solid core of players to compete with other WCAL teams. As for SHC they have a huge plus with a 3rd year returning QB and now a quality RB in Sheppard - so SHC has 2 key pieces to the puzzle already in place. It will be interesting to see how the 2 coaching staffs at SHC & Riordan plan their offensive & defensive schemes for this season: will the fans see a new look from either or both teams or will it be "business as usual" which translates into a replay of 2012 + 2013? Both teams will need improved special teams play this season as one of the keys to their success.

Next Up: Preview of Bellarmine vs Franklin [Elk Grove] - should be a good game!
Irish have another power runner in Ronan Murphy coming up from the JV's. That will take pressure off Sheppard to be the do-everything back out there.

Cheers,

Irish line should be much improved, and a lot bigger this year. Junior Tackle Keith Ismael continues to grow and get bigger. He is approximately 6'3, 280 right now and is a force.

The Irish line is bolstered by two transfers from back East. Senior Center Aaron Wolfgang started out SHC as a freshman before moving back East to Pennsylvania the last two years. He is a "bowling ball" at 5'11 300 pounds. The other transfer is Junior Tackle Henry Stern, a 6'3, 280, who is from San Francisco but went back East to Prep School the last two years.

The Irish should be a lot more competitive this year.

We won't truly know how good SHC will be until those two start playing after the 30 day transfer rule.

WCAL looks like it will be one of those years that there probably will be co-champs and can see 6-1 or 5-2 as what it will take. Like last season, 6-1 was what it took for co-championship and could see this season similar. With relative parity at the top 4 (VC, St Francis, Mitty and Serra) and a couple other teams as well that can knock off any of the above teams in a given week (SI and Bells), I don't see a team running the gauntlet which isn't very often in this league. The WCAL looks like it will be a battle and some teams will matchup better against others. Here's my take:

Top 4 battling for top position[/B]

Valley Christian[/B] ? Most complete team with experienced QB. If K. Johnson is healthy, the Warriors should be the favorite to win the WCAL. It will be tough for defenses to key on just Johnson as they bring back other talented skill players, and with him out last season have several returning players. Defense will need to step up to win the league, but they return talent on the defensive side as well and size on the lines. (Rank then as #1 ? probably favorite to win outright, but inconsistency and competitiveness of league could make this a co-championship year). Will be better than last season.

St Francis[/B] ? They will be very tough to run against, especially up the middle. Calcagno is a defensive focused coach and looks like SF is back to smash mouth football on both sides of the ball. Think they should also take Serra again (doesn't matter if at Serra home field or not ? SF in most years has Serra's number). My inkling is that transfer to Serra (QB Bishop) wouldn't have started at SF anyways, and Serra will lack experience at the position if they start a soph against SF. If Bishop wins starting Serra QB role, it also may take a little time to get rolling. Serra's run oriented offense wouldn't matchup against SF (Tokai, and the big SF LBS). SF offense may be boring this year, but should have just enough balance to keep teams honest and could control the ball for long stretches. (they should finish in the #1 or #2-3 tied position). Their offense is the only question mark as far as how potent it will be, but they look like they will be very tough to score on this year. I think they will have a tougher time stopping VC than any team, and probably lose another game. Should lose at least 2 games. Will be better than last season.

Serra [/B]? May start the season slow as far as maybe losing 2 out of three non-league, but actually think they could be competitive in the Notre Dame Sherman Oaks game. Serra isn't going to run the WCAL and early on they have risk of losing some games. I think they lose at least 2 games in league. They should have very good defense and will have some speed and good skill players, although QB position especially early on probably has them losing at least 2 games. Will not be as good as last season.

Mitty [/B]? Good core of talented players, but may lack some depth from last season due graduation losses of Evans and Ramirez. Will Foley play LB as well as QB? Either way, they lose some depth in impact players. I actually think they will not be as good as last season (but will have a couple impact players) and probably lose a couple games and maybe 3 in league. Coach has done a good job with that offense, but think defense will not be as good (although still very good) and offense will miss Evans and Ramirez (although have Monroe and Hudson, but still less to scheme against). I was wrong on Mitty last season as far as seeing them win WCAL, but doesn't seem they will do it this year. Will be good though and could knock off a top team if they have a good game. They will have a tough matchup against SF with the expected run defense and they have big LBs to cover a big TE. I think the Mitty loses at least two league games as well. Will not be as good as last season but a very good team.

Bottom 4[/B]

St Ig.[/B] SI will have threat of passing attack, but think they will be one dimensional against some of the better defenses above. They could knock off a team above in a game, but think they lose at least 3 WCAL games.

Bellamine [/B] Bells probably like last season and lose at least 3 league games, but could knock off a team in the top 4. Line may not be as physical as the top 4, but have some speed.

SHC[/B] Could win one of two games next season in WCAL, see SI and Bells, but probably not against a top 4. A good team though and balanced offense. Defense will have a tough time against the top 4.

Riordan[/B] Unfortunately they may not win a game in the WCAL but maybe a best ceiling at 2 games in league although they should be more competitive against SI, Bells and SHC. Surprise if they win more than 2 and they may not win any in league.

Overall, I think the WCAL is a 4 team race and may be tough for one team to win it outright. Dark horse is Saint Francis and i they can generate balance on their offense, they are going to be very tough with the defense. VC is the favorite. Serra and Mitty although both should be very good, neither looks to be as good as last season but still in the race. SI and Bells could break into the top 4 at the bottom (like #3 or 4 such as tied with the #3 and #4 positions), but most likely below the top 4. SHC may move up higher than Bells or SI, and Riordan probably is at the bottom, either alone or tied at the bottom if they get a win.

Wolfgang should be immediately eligible since family moved residences from California to Pennsylvania, back to California. Don't know about Stern. I will find out.

Originally posted by Rikfran:

Wolfgang should be immediately eligible since family moved residences from California to Pennsylvania, back to California. Don't know about Stern. I will find out.
Very similar situation happened to Jason Barrera the year before last and he had to sit out like everyone else. Started as a freshman at Riordan, moved to Texas for a year, came back to Riordan. Still had to sit out.

The facts and circumstance of the move determines eligibility. According to the CCS bylaw below, Wolfgang should be eligible since I believe his entire family unit moved back to Pennsylvania. Don't know the facts of the Riordan case but it could be that he moved to Texas to live with another family member.

Valid Change of Residence

A student may be determined to be residentially eligible when a student, whose parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver with

whom the student was living when the student established residential eligibility at the prior school (School A),

completes a valid change of residence as described herein when the following conditions are met:

(1) A valid change of residence must be made from a residence located in the public high school attendance

area (School A's attendance area), even if the student is not currently attending nor ever has attended the

school in which attendance area they reside, to another public high school's attendance area (School B's

attendance area).

(2) School A may be a CIF member school or a non-CIF member school or may be a school located outside

of the United States.

(3) Defi nition of a Valid Change of Residence

A valid residence is defi ned as the location where the student's parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver (with

whom eligibility has been established) live with that student and thereby have the use and enjoyment

of that location as a residence. A valid change of residence for eligibility purposes requires the former

residence to have been vacated by the entire family for use as its residence. For athletic eligibility

purposes, a student (with the student's parent(s)/guardian(s)/caregiver with whom residential eligibility

has been established) may only have one (1) primary valid residence at one (1) time.

(4) Determination of What Constitutes a Valid Change of Residence

Determination of what constitutes a valid change of residence depends upon the facts in each case. In

determining that a valid change of residence occurred, the following facts must exist:

a. The original residence must be abandoned as a residence by the immediate family. The new

school is responsible for validating this fact; AND

b. The student's entire immediate family must make the change of primary residence and take with

them the household goods and furniture appropriate to the circumstances. For eligibility

purposes, a family unit may not maintain more than one (1) primary residence; AND

c. The change of primary residence must be genuine, without fraud or deceit and with permanent

intent; AND

NOTE:
A student whose family makes a valid change of residence into a new school's attendance area (See d.)

may be residentially eligible for varsity competition upon receipt and recording of a CIF 206 Form by the

CIF Section of the student's new school. A subsequent move into a different school boundary by the family (or

other family members) during the next 12 calendar months will result in the student being declared ineligible until

cleared for competition by the Section Commissioner.

Bellarmine vs Franklin - Elk Grove Sept. 5th, Friday nite 7:00 P.M. @ Elk Grove

This should be among the more entertaining games in the first round of WCAL pre-season contests.
Bellarmine is considered to be in a "down year" and Franklin - Elk Grove is not considered to be a front-runner in the Delta Valley Conference. That being said Bellarmine is always competitive it seems and
their football program is on auto-reload year after year. Elk Grove usually features talented athletes and lots of speed and this season's roster should be no exception. Bellarmine finished the 2013 season at 7-3 overall and is projected to finish at 5-5 for 2014. The Bells JV team went 9-1 and should shore up their roster considerably in overall talent. The Franklin - Elk Grove "Wildcats" went 8-4 in 2013 and are projected to go 6-4 in 2014. Keep in mind Franklin - Elk Grove plays in a good league and consistently produces very good teams. So we will quickly find out if the Bells are indeed in a "down year" or all the hype about them finishing in the lower tier of the WCAL was premature.

Tale of the Tape:

Bells ending 2013 Power Rating: 38
Bells pre-season 2014 Power Rating: 33.4

Franklin-Elk Grove 2013 Power Rating: 39.8
Franklin-Elk Grove pre-season 2014 Power Rating: 37.6

The Wildcats of Franklin-Elk Grove usually have large rosters and 2014 is no different showing 59 players, with 19 players 200 or larger and 7 players over 235. In sheer roster numbers and size F.E.G. should have the advantage over the Bells. In terms of skill players F.E.G. lost a lot but returns one of their best in QB/FS Lamar Jackson a very talented Junior who was the starting QB as a soph last season. Jackson, 6'3" - 210 is a talented athlete who threw for 1428 yards & 17 TD's as a soph averaging 119 yards passing per game and also ran for another 565 yards and 5 TD's. That alone tells me that the Bells will have to find a way to put pressure on Jackson and contain his running ability. F.E.G. graduated their top RB's and seem to have a RB by committee philosophy using quite a few RB's and also WR's in passing. Their top 2 RB's this season are Reid Abshear 6'1 - 190 and Patrick Walker 6'1 - 215 and both are a load to bring down. At WR the starters are Denzel Hampton at 6'3 - 190 and also Bryce Abshear 6'1 - 185. Their top player on Defense is Ronell Deo at 6'1 - 240 who plays both ways on O&D-lines. So F.E.G. loses most of their skill players except their most important one QB Lamar Jackson and also 11 other starters return. F.E.G. had a good JV team last year at 7-3 and might just be a notch under the talent the Bells JV team will contribute.

Conclusion: This will be an athletically talented team in Franklin - Elk Grove vs a disciplined Bellarmine team that uses a system of making the most out of the players they have. Bellarmine is known as a grind-it-out team on offense and a swarming type team on defense. The big difference this year starting with this game is that the Bells will not have the best QB on the field. In fact Lamar Jackson will be the most talented athlete on the field of the 2 teams. F.E.G. will have sheer numbers & size and should have a clear edge in overall speed as well. The 2 tall WR's could also pose a problem to the Bell's if their DB's & safeties are not up to the task. Franklin - Elk Grove is favored in this game and in power ratings is close to Valley Christian in overall strength. The question is will the Bellarmine system of disciplined play and taking advantage of another team's mistakes overcome the sheer talent of Franklin-Elk Grove [a tall task for the Bells]. The first game and what will set the tone for 2014 for Bellarmine's program.

Prediction: Frankin-Elk Grove 31 - Bells 21

Nice game preview. You are right about the athletes Franklin has. They reload every year with solid rbs and wr's. Team speed could be an issue, but what from I hear the Bells also have speed this year. I think the defense of the Bells will be much improved and the fact that the qb is still a question mark will make it tougher for Franklins game plan.(that is if Janda decides to throw the ball some) This one should be a close game, but I think with a lower score. Bells steal this one. Bells 24 Franklin21.

This post was edited on 8/19 8:09 PM by PAL95

Originally posted by PAL95:
Nice game preview. You are right about the athletes Franklin has. They reload every year with solid rbs and wr's. Team speed could be an issue, but what from I hear the Bells also have speed this year. I think the defense of the Bells will be much improved and the fact that the qb is still a question mark will make it tougher for Franklins game plan.(that is if Janda decides to throw the ball some) This one should be a close game, but I think with a lower score. Bells steal this one. Bells 24 Franklin21.

This post was edited on 8/19 8:09 PM by PAL95
PAL95 - I am actually in agreement with you to large extent as I see this game in 2 possibilities: 1rst scenario as predicted: that Lamar Jackson, 2 big RB's and 2 tall WR's are too much talent and Bells simply cannot contain them losing by 10-14 points.
The 2nd scenario which you are going with is the Bells upcoming JV talent and the coaching of Janda - one of the best coaches in WCAL. The first team that faces the Bells will not know what to expect coming out of the gate - who is the QB, can he throw, what kind of RB's do they have, are they still running the double-wing offense? Plenty with which Janda can mix up & confuse a first game opponent with. So in this case with PAL95's possible outcome the Bells play Franklin -Elk Grove tough and the tough pressure D of the Bells proves the final difference in which case could be a Bells 17 - F.E.G. 10 outcome.

Jordan24, whats the actual varsity turnout? 60-70. 50-60?

Originally posted by FUBO:
Jordan24, whats the actual varsity turnout? 60-70. 50-60?
Don't know at this point. The official roster should be posted late next week per ARHS STATS. My guess is the 50 range.
I didn't see the ex-HC on Lee's staff on the school website. Any insight ?

Coaching staff rosters are often part of the player roster so they will probably be submitted together.

2014 WCAL Rosters:

Looking at MaxPreps the rosters submitted so far are for SF - 61, SI -55, VC - 44 with the others being incomplete or nothing submitted.
Bellarmine traditionally does not submit much if any info and you have to look hard to find any pertinent stats or other information that is useful [perhaps a strategy by coach Janda to keep his competition in the dark??].

From last years' rosters I listed the potential number of returning varsity players to each team as follows:

Mitty - 34
SF - 33
VC - 31
SI - 31
Serra - 30
Riordan - 25
Bells - 24
SHC - 23

The numbers will be slightly off due to number of players dropping out, transferring in or out of the schools & then adding the players who contributed at the JV level last season. Generally from year to year the schools in the top tier traditionally return the highest number of players year to year. Bells return less this year and also projected to drop in league standings as an example.

Riordan only has 4 coaches and no players listed on their web site so it will be updated I'm sure before they start playing games.

St. Ignatius vs Marin Catholic - Sept. 6th, Saturday 1:00 at Marin Catholic

SI's first game of a tough 3 game pre-season schedule looks to be a good one vs Marin Catholic before taking on one of the top projected teams in CCS in Terra Nova before boarding the bus for a trip to Stockton for a game with always tough St. Mary's.

Marin Catholic will definitely be a test for SI though MC may not be quite up to par with the 2013 squad after losing their star QB Morgan Mahalik to graduation - heads to Oregon. SI comes into this game with last season's 2nd leading passer in the WCAL in Ryan Hagfeldt & a solid core of returning players. What SI does not have is Elijah Dale and Joe Lang, 2 players not easy to replace. So right out of the gate in this first game many questions will be answered by St. Ignatius, such as who will be the featured RB? Will it be a run game by committee or will one player emerge in the first couple of games? SI must also establish their passing game early and distribute the ball evenly to both WR's & RB's to loosen up whatever running game they do have. SI's defense played well in 2013 and it was more of an issue with their offense being inconsistent. So in the SI team preview I listed who SI returns, so lets take a look at MC and see what they will bring into this game.

Tale of the Tape:

St. Ignatius 2013 season ending power rating = 24.1
St. Ignatius pre-season 2014 power rating = 33.4

Marin Catholic 2013 season ending power rating = 42.1
Marin Catholic pre-season 2014 power rating = 34.8

So the pre-season power ratings have the 2 teams rated as nearly even and the individual match-ups will be the key and determining factor in this game. Marin Catholic fields some large roster teams and this one is very large [if accurate on MaxPreps]. The MC roster shows 81 players with 43 returning varsity players - far more than any WCAL squad. The most important factor however will be about 2 players from last year for the 2 teams - MC's star QB who graduated and SI's veteran signal caller Ryan Hagfeldt with a year under his belt. SI played MC tough last season in a 31-20 loss at SI, so perhaps SI can return the favor this season on MC's home turf [possible?].

Marin Catholic was 12-1 last season with their only loss to El Cerrito 54-38. Last season their QB Morgan Mahalik had a remarkable 130 QB rating for the season & based upon stats had a very effective and proficient short passing game. MC did not have a strong run game and did not need one due to their passing success and their exceptional play on defense. On offense MC had 38 TD's passing and only 7 rushing. It is interesting in that for the 2013 SI vs MC game St. Ignatius held Mahalik to his lowest QB rating of the season in which he was 12/25 for 136 yards, 1-TD & 1-INT, so SI's Defense was successful in that respect in containing MC's pass game to large extent. So again SI loses Dale & Lang & MC loses Mahalik. The big question is who replaces Mahalik at QB for MC. Everything says this game is a toss up and is entirely winnable by St. Ignatius. In this game SI will have the more experienced QB with their run game in question and what should be a solid defense. Both teams return a solid core of players, but no star skill players who can yet be identified prior to the season starting. If SI's offense is more consistent than last season then SI should be able to cause a lot of disruption with most teams defense with their passing game. Because of that fact this first game should be slightly to SI's advantage [although MC is favored to win] depending of course on the SI coaching staff's game plan. Starting off vs a solid Marin Catholic team sets the stage for the next additionally tough teams, Terra Nova & St. Mary's. This game is important in that respect & I believe the SI coaches will need to change up their offensive and defensive schemes early on to keep MC off balance. Additionally SI will need pressure on a first game new Marin Catholic QB in order to try to throw his game off. If SI is too conservative they will likely play into the hands of MC's game plan which tends to be solid defense and simply controlling the ball and wearing down their opponents. If fans recall last season's game between the 2 teams with SI playing MC evenly prior to the 2nd half when MC simply pulled away. While Marin Catholic is favored in this game I think too many fans expect them to win. I like SI's chances with Hagfeldt at QB and think SI's "D" will come ready to play in what would be considered a "mild upset". This game is more important to SI's season than simply being a pre-season game.

Prediction: St. Ignatius 24 - Marin Catholic 18 [yes 18 - 6 pt spread]
This post was edited on 8/23 11:50 AM by Rmbr26

SI's first game of a tough 3 game pre-season schedule looks to be a good one vs Marin Catholic before taking on one of the top projected teams in CCS in Terra Nova before boarding the bus for a trip to Stockton for a game with always tough St. Mary's.

Could you double-check the St. Mary's game? I thought it was an SI home game.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Originally posted by Irish_Cheers:
Could you double-check the St. Mary's game? I thought it was an SI home game.

Irish - you are correct in that SI is hosting St. Mary's of Stockton according to the WCAL web site schedule. Thanks for the heads up & I will immediately cancel the bus for S.I.
This post was edited on 8/23 10:40 PM by Rmbr26

http://www.wcalsports.org/docs/schedules/FB%20Composit.pdf

Great analysis, but there is one additional factor to consider that has made a huge difference in these games the last few years.

Marin Catholic (and other NCS teams) start summer practices a week earlier and play their first game a week before CCS teams are allowed to start practicing and playing.

SI always plays MC in SI's first game of the season and it shows. MC is a little bit crisper and more game conditioned because it is their 2nd game if the season.

SI is up for the challenge. The incoming senior class has not beaten MC at any level (Frosh, JV or Varsity) and is eager to get a W this year.

Originally posted by CityBaseballFan:
Great analysis, but there is one additional factor to consider that has made a huge difference in these games the last few years.

Marin Catholic (and other NCS teams) start summer practices a week earlier and play their first game a week before CCS teams are allowed to start practicing and playing.

SI always plays MC in SI's first game of the season and it shows. MC is a little bit crisper and more game conditioned because it is their 2nd game if the season.

SI is up for the challenge. The incoming senior class has not beaten MC at any level (Frosh, JV or Varsity) and is eager to get a W this year.
CityBaseball - good knowledge in pointing out an obvious advantage of an additional week's practice and conditioning can make - particularly in the first game of the season. With no wins at any level versus Marin Catholic SI should be motivated coming into this game.

Nice preview again! If I had to choose I would say the score you predicted was probably spot on. SI with a returning qb has to have the advantage. Losing Morgan hurts MC, but not as much as losing Andrew Celis (Nevada). This guy did everything for MC last year including punting and also had a 48 yard field goal! Teams focused to stop him, but still couldn't all season long. Without these two great players SI should pull this one off. SI 24 MC 17

2014 WCAL Season Opening Games - Analysis & Prediction:

Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Galileo

This post was edited on 8/16 7:08 PM by Rmbr26
This game has been rescheduled for Friday, September 5th at 3:00pm at Galileo.
JV's will still play on Saturday at 11:00.

This post was edited on 8/28 10:04 AM by Irish_Cheers

St. Francis Lancers vs Oak Grove Eagles - Sept. 5th Friday 7:30 P.M. at SF

This game will not likely be one of the more anticipated opening games and could be a replay of last year's contest in which the Lancers blanked Oak Grove by 28-0 in the season opener. St. Francis is rated a slightly better team than last season while Oak Grove who was not a powerhouse in 2013 has dropped in power ratings to a negative level in pre-season [not a bright outlook]. Oak Grove was 5-6 last season with their best game being a 27-21 loss to a respectable Piedmont Hills team that made it to the CCS playoffs. The Oak Grove JV team went 9-1 and were Champs of the Mt. Hamilton League which alone would seem to indicate that that help is on the way from last year's JV team, however upon further review - maybe not. The Mt. Hamilton League is not one of the more competitive leagues in the CCS this year and Oak Grove's JV team's only loss in 2013 was to the St. Francis JV team in the season opener as well by 13-0. Oak Grove's highest rated opponents this season will be their 3 pre-season games facing St. Francis, Valley Christian & San Benito.

Tale of the Tape:

St. Francis ending 2013 power rating = 34.4
St. Francis pre-season 2014 power rating = 36.1

Oak Grove ending 2013 power rating = 2.3
Oak Grove pre-season 2014 power rating = [-0.2]

Oak Grove returns 26 players from last season's varsity of which 11 players are over 200, 9 of those over 225 & 5 of those over 250 [so Oak Grove has some beef on the line it would seem - whether or not the size translates to talent will be another issue altogether].
Last season's stats show Oak Grove averaging 90 yards passing per game and 169 rushing per game = 259 offense per game. This translated to 23 TD's for the season along with 9 INT's. So Oak Grove's offense would not be categorized as "explosive" in 2013 and likely will struggle this season against the likes of their first 3 opponents. OG does return 12 starters, but loses all its top skill players including their multi-purpose QB Ray Cruz. The Eagles have 3 decent RB's who are all of the smaller shifty type back's who have some speed, although none of the 3 are very large. Their top RB is Manuel Reyes 5'7 - 185 followed by Rushawn Fontenells 5'9 - 165 and Jacob Grant 5'11 - 165. Their QB if last year's back-up will be Miguel Serrano 5'9 - 170. Their top defensive player will be Rushawn Jones 5'11 - 225 - LB/TE who had 6 sacks last season.

Conclusion: An uphill battle for Oak Grove from the first whistle in this one. St. Francis is my "dark horse" pick of the WCAL this season and could have an even tougher defense with an improved offense. SF returns a solid core of players and while OG returns 12 starters they are lacking at the skill positions [not a good mix going up against a talented defensive team]. The Lancers are a 4-5 TD favorite coming into this game and anything closer would be a moral victory for Oak Grove.

Prediction: St. Francis 38 Oak Grove 7

Valley Christian Warrior's vs Pioneer Mustangs Sept. 5th Friday 7:30 P.M. at VC

Pioneer went 7-4 in 2013 and finished the season with a brutal loss to Serra in the first round of the CCS Open Playoffs by 59-7.
Pioneer's best game of the season was an upset over a good Piedmont Hills team by 34-33. On paper this game looks like a classic mismatch with Valley Christian being a much more physical team with too many weapons. Many fans believe VC to be the favorite in the WCAL this season and they will likely flex their muscles in this first pre-season game.

Tale of the Tape:

Valley Christian 2013 ending season power rating = 39.2
Valley Christian 2014 pre-season power rating = 41.8

Pioneer 2013 ending season power rating = 15.2
Pioneer 2014 pre-season power rating = 16.4

Both teams are predicted to show slight improvement over last season's standings & results although I do not know how much better Pioneer will actually perform against one of the top predicted teams in CCS. Pioneer returns their QB Zach Silva 5'11 - 185 who threw for 1300 yards, 12-TD's & only 6 INT's last season with a QB rating of 91 [which is quite good]. Pioneer also returns their top WR in Louie Coulombe 24/343 yards - 14 YPC avg and their top OL-DL player in Brandon Keding 6'2 - 280. Here is where Pioneer is seriously lacking vs Valley Christian. Pioneer loses their top RB's to graduation and the replacements all have limited varsity playing time. Against VC's physical D if Pioneer cannot run they will be forced to pass and VC will likely double up on the top WR Coulombe - which will give their QB Zach Silva limited options with other not as talented WR's. In addition Pioneer fields a much smaller roster [according to Max Preps] this season. While they have some players of size they do not appear to match up well against the roster of VC. In all Pioneer returns 11 starters, but will not likely have the reserve back-up players to give their players a breather against VC as the game wears on. Last season Pioneer passed for 123 YPG and rushed for 247 YPG of which the 247 YPG rushing is not likely to take place vs VC's D-Line.

Valley Christian enters this first game with what can only be called a "loaded roster". VC coming off an 8-4 season returns virtually all its most talented skill players and gets added help from a JV team that went 9-1 as co-champs of the WCAL. Pioneer is the first team that gets to face what has to be the most talented group of RB's in NorCal. Valley Christian has a stable of 4 RB's of which anyone would be the featured RB at any other school. VC's premiere RB of course is Kirk Johnson the 4-star rated 3rd year varsity back that has been virtually unstoppable when healthy [the key word for 2014 is "healthy"]. However VC has more than adequate reserves in Tre McCloud, Mark Quimby & upcoming RB Morian Walker - hard to fathom that one HS team could have 4 guys this good. VC averaged 257 yards rushing in 2013 and will likely improve on that figure starting with this first game. VC's only question for 2014 will be its much questioned passing game, which averaged a paltry 26 yards per game last season. This season though VC returns its QB Mike Machado along with talented WR Collin Johnson 6'4 - 185 who provides a big target along with some speed.

Conclusion: Similar to the St. Francis vs Oak Grove game this game should not be in doubt from the beginning. Unlike the SF vs OG game however I would be more interested in seeing this game - simply to see what VC unleashes against Pioneer. I think a lot of fans are anxious to see how any team stops VC's even more potent run game this season and also to what extent VC will be passing.
Will the VC coaches stick to the run almost exclusively again and dare teams to stop them OR will VC adopt a mixed play offense to throw the better teams off playing the run every down. In this game even with reserves I expect VC to comfortably gain 250 yards+ rushing and possibly another 100+ yards passing with 350 yards offense being conservative. Pioneer will have their hands full and will likely have the entire defense playing the run almost exclusively - so the passing game for VC should be wide open for Mike Machado to Colin Johnson & others.

Prediction: Valley Christian 45 - Pioneer 7

Couldn't agree more with everything written. Although the score could be even more lopsided lol! Pioneer will take a slight step back from last year, but that doesn't even come close to giving them any chance in this one. They will be effective in their league, but just too much to ask of trying to defeat VC. I'm still trying to figure out why VC has such a weak preseason schedule. Milpitas will give them a run, but the other two should be over in the first quarter. This could come back to haunt them in their opener against Serra.

Both Riordan and VC play Milpitas. The comparative scores should show how much the Crusaders have improved since last year with the best in years off season preparation, outstanding talent and new staff as expressed by the board posters and coaches. The scrimmage against Burlingame Saturday should also give an indication of how much they have developed in the second year of the General Lee era. I'll be waiting for Jordan24 take on the scrimmage.

CHOOO CHOOOO!
This post was edited on 8/28 11:52 AM by FUBO

The scrimmage vs. Burlingame is tomorrow, Fri, afternoon @ 3:30pm @ Riordan. I'm coming home from a business trip at that time so will rely on my resources on their take/assessment.

RMBR - great analysis on SI, SF, and VC season openers. Definitely picking all three to win their games. Your final score for VC vs Pioneer might happen in the first half tho.

As for the scrimmage games, Milpitas @ Mitty and Burlingame @ Riordan are the two that sticks out. Mitty with a faster team going against a team with size. Riordan trying to prove it belongs taking on a team that had a successful season last year. Looking forward to reading everyones observations on the scrimmage games Sat and Sun :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT