ADVERTISEMENT
mitty is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.
serra is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.
saint francis is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.
valley christian is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.

also, being on the "robotics team" does not necessarily lead itself to lucrative career prospects. do factory workers who make iphones make a lot of money? or the people who put together tesla cars? that's what being able to build a robot gets you.

no different than sports as far as career prospects go. plus theres no reason a school can't be good at both sense there is no crossover between the two.
For starters you lost me at Serra. LMAO. It’s not even close. GTFOH. As for that, Valley and Mitty aren’t Bellarmine caliber schools. Education wise again not even close. So yeah, keep digging buddy. The soil may be moist, but your idiotic geographical skills are for sure plump. And how many kids from Silicon Valley work in factories making I-phones. Just wow

For starters you lost me at Serra. LMAO. It’s not even close. GTFOH. As for that, Valley and Mitty aren’t Bellarmine caliber schools. Education wise again not even close. So yeah, keep digging buddy. The soil may be moist, but your idiotic geographical skills are for sure plump.
my geography is wrong? are the schools i listed not in the silicon valley?

mitty is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.
serra is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.
saint francis is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.
valley christian is in silicon valley and does not have this problem.

also, being on the "robotics team" does not necessarily lead itself to lucrative career prospects. do factory workers who make iphones make a lot of money? or the people who put together tesla cars? that's what being able to build a robot gets you.

no different than sports as far as career prospects go. plus theres no reason a school can't be good at both sense there is no crossover between the

my geography is wrong? are the schools i listed not in the silicon valley?
Serra high school isn’t even close. It’s a hop skip and a jump from Riordan. It’s an easy 30 minutes plus from SILICON VALLEY. Get in the freeway at Serra and you could be at the San Francisco airport in 12 minutes. Like I said when you said Serra, it showed your apptitude especially when you think robotics kids work at factories building I phones and teslas.

Serra high school isn’t even close. It’s a hop skip and a jump from Riordan. It’s an easy 30 minutes plus from SILICON VALLEY. Get in the freeway at Serra and you could be at the San Francisco airport in 12 minutes. Like I said when you said Serra, it showed your apptitude especially when you think robotics kids work at factories building I phones and teslas.
HA!…. What @MOlST AND PLUMP hasn't figured out is that when you have 1,600 students paying $27k a year to go to school there, sports are irrelevant, it’s about the Academics and Education and what College you get into….

That’s about $43 Million dollars a year generated by tuition, you don’t need a FB program to sustain that…. 🤣

HA!…. What @MOlST AND PLUMP hasn't figured out is that when you have 1,600 students paying $27k a year to go to school there, sports are irrelevant, it’s about the Academics and Education and what College you get into….

That’s about $43 Million dollars a year generated by tuition, you don’t need a FB program to sustain that…. 🤣
i respectfully disagree in this sense:

the better the sports are, the longer the wait list and the more a school is able to charge in admission. that 43 million could easily be 60 million if they cared more about sports. more tuition money, bigger endowment, more opportunities for kids in ALL extra curricular activities including robots.

i respectfully disagree in this sense:

the better the sports are, the longer the wait list and the more a school is able to charge in admission. that 43 million could easily be 60 million if they cared more about sports. more tuition money, bigger endowment, more opportunities for kids in ALL extra curricular activities including robots.
You're rooting for the wrong school. You should put all your marbles for Riordan because look at what they've invested in the football and basketball programs. They could give a sh*t about academics or any of the other sports. Good for Bellarmine in reaching academic excellence and preparing their students for college. Thats what going to high school is primarily about.

• Haha
Reactions: THEOC89
I guess it's called Bellarmine "College Prepatory" and not "Football Prepatory" for a reason.
colleges have football also. and the truth is that football makes way more money for colleges than any other single entity.
You're rooting for the wrong school. You should put all your marbles for Riordan because look at what they've invested in the football and basketball programs. They could give a sh*t about academics or any of the other sports. Good for Bellarmine in reaching academic excellence and preparing their students for college. Thats what going to high school is primarily about.

all of the schools in the wcal have the most elite academics in america, and send the majority of there students to some of the best colleges in the world. bellarmine is just as good as the rest of the schools in the league but they are all excellent in that regard. and the rest can do so while maintaining elite sports. what is so different about bellarmine other than they simply don't care enough to give kids the athletic experience they deserve.

That’s a pretty inflammatory remark. You have facts?

I honestly like what Riordan is doing. It's great to hang your hat on being an academic school like Bellarmine has especially if you come from a well to do family.

But, there are underprivileged kids that attend all of these WCAL schools whose families don't have the money to pay for university should their child get accepted academically. I suppose we ask them to apply for grants or be saddled with debt to pay for university?

Whereas, a football scholarship from attending and playing for Riordan's football team allows these same students the best of both worlds with university being paid for.

Last edited:
Reactions: cityfan
Ive spoken to a few parents (some with kids still enrolled and some that have left), the ones that have stayed arent really thrilled with the academics there and the ones that have left have gone because the academics were not great. One's experience does not speak for all. And not singling out Riordan, because I have a very close informant that told me 95% of their school's 8th grade class got into DLS. Some of those boys are C-minus students. I was always under the impression you had to get at least B's to get into the schools. Apparently not.

Reactions: cityfan
Prediction: The authorities at Bellarmine will not allow this deteriorating football situation to persist too much longer. They will address it. And fairly soon. Football is one of the few unstable and poor athletic offerings at a school that prides itself on excellence. This is not to say they will go the Mater Dei or Bosco route. But they can certainly aim for the success rate they had when Janda and his staff were running the show, or close to it. Again, though, Bellarmine is not Serra or Riordan. It's a demanding Jesuit school, a different academic animal that has been serving the South Bay from the mid-19th century to now. It's worth noting that, in spite of a steep decline in the Bells' football fortunes lately, enrollment continues to be healthy and strong. .

Reactions: THEOC89
Prediction: The authorities at Bellarmine will not allow this deteriorating football situation to persist too much longer. They will address it. And fairly soon. Football is one of the few unstable and poor athletic offerings at a school that prides itself on excellence. This is not to say they will go the Mater Dei or Bosco route. But they can certainly aim for the success rate they had when Janda and his staff were running the show, or close to it. Again, though, Bellarmine is not Serra or Riordan. It's a demanding Jesuit school, a different academic animal that has been serving the South Bay from the mid-19th century to now. It's worth noting that, in spite of a steep decline in the Bells' football fortunes lately, enrollment continues to be healthy and strong. .
this is great news if confirmed. we all deserve to have a bellarmine that cares.

I don't think p
Ive spoken to a few parents (some with kids still enrolled and some that have left), the ones that have stayed arent really thrilled with the academics there and the ones that have left have gone because the academics were not great. One's experience does not speak for all. And not singling out Riordan, because I have a very close informant that told me 95% of their school's 8th grade class got into DLS. Some of those boys are C-minus students. I was always under the impression you had to get at least B's to get into the schools. Apparently not.
And I personally know many parents who are thrilled that their sons AND daughters are thriving at Riordan. At the end of the day, parents were considering just 2 SF private catholic schools - Riordan and SI. The school has the fastest growing enrollment of all the SF High Schools and it's the most diverse at 74% of its school population. It's exceeded its incoming freshman classes each of the past 4 years . The school has a 50% acceptance rate with a wait list.(avg private school acceptance rate is 85% and is in the top 20% of private schools in CA. The Boarding program is full. I don't think parents would be shelving out $60K/year if the academics were terrible. More importantly, the schools endowment has grown significantly. 80% of the football team is on the honor roll from a recent interview with Coach Ravipati including its QB who has a 4.0 GPA. https://www.privateschoolreview.com/compare-schools/1310/4010/3622#results

Reactions: colhenrylives
For what it's worth, Bellarmine leads all WCAL schools in the number of 2025 National Merit Scholarship semi-finalists with 28. Mitty is close behind with 24. Valley Christian has 19. Those three are followed, in order, by St. Francis, 11; St. Ignatius, 5; Serra and SHC, 2 each; and Riordan, 1. These teen scholarships are among the most coveted and prestigious in the U.S. The competition for them is fierce. They are one measure of a school's academic rigor. For middle school parents seeking a top-notch high school for their offspring, the number of these scholarships on a campus is important, probably more important than a football program. Still, no one here is saying a school can't have both. Clearly, Mitty and SF are doing so. VC may be a bit behind on the football field but it's not chopped liver.

Last edited:
Reactions: aztecpadre
I don't think p

And I personally know many parents who are thrilled that their sons AND daughters are thriving at Riordan. At the end of the day, parents were considering just 2 SF private catholic schools - Riordan and SI. The school has the fastest growing enrollment of all the SF High Schools and it's the most diverse at 74% of its school population. It's exceeded its incoming freshman classes each of the past 4 years . The school has a 50% acceptance rate with a wait list.(avg private school acceptance rate is 85% and is in the top 20% of private schools in CA. The Boarding program is full. I don't think parents would be shelving out $60K/year if the academics were terrible. More importantly, the schools endowment has grown significantly. 80% of the football team is on the honor roll from a recent interview with Coach Ravipati including its QB who has a 4.0 GPA. https://www.privateschoolreview.com/compare-schools/1310/4010/3622#results
Excellent analysis. Kudos.

"...I have a very close informant that told me 95% of their school's 8th grade class got into DLS. Some of those boys are C-minus students. I was always under the impression you had to get at least B's to get into the schools. Apparently not..."

I can confirm this is a true statement. Basically any 8th grade boy from a Concord/WC/PH parochial grade school that wants to will get in to DLS.

"...I have a very close informant that told me 95% of their school's 8th grade class got into DLS. Some of those boys are C-minus students. I was always under the impression you had to get at least B's to get into the schools. Apparently not..."

I can confirm this is a true statement. Basically any 8th grade boy from a Concord/WC/PH parochial grade school that wants to will get in to DLS.
you mean a catholic high school wants to accept kids from its feeder catholic schools? color us shocked

I don't think p

DLS doesnt have much competition as far as another catholic high school within the area/proximity. They have built that reputation as the go to school in the 925 for decades now. One thing that was eye opening is whenever you drive by and see the vehicles in the parking lot, its virtually all huge pick up trucks. Kids driving $45-50k+ cars is bananas to me. You drive by SI and kids are in Land Rovers/Range Rovers.

I don't think p

Good stuff there Arm! All great numbers and I'm all for our SF catholic schools growing and continuing to provide the kids/families who choose to go that route a catholic education and become productive members of society. There are far too many sad stories of Catholic high schools, middle schools closing throughout the Bay Area.

Again, one or two or few students/families bad experiences at Riordan or any catholic school for that matter defines the experience of others. Sometimes it doesnt work or they are seeking something else and they'll find it at another school.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Good stuff there Arm! All great numbers and I'm all for our SF catholic schools growing and continuing to provide the kids/families who choose to go that route a catholic education and become productive members of society. There are far too many sad stories of Catholic high schools, middle schools closing throughout the Bay Area.

Again, one or two or few students/families bad experiences at Riordan or any catholic school for that matter defines the experience of others. Sometimes it doesnt work or they are seeking something else and they'll find it at another school.
from a long term standpoint the closing of some of the catholic schools might be a responsible and good decision by the respective dioceses. if they consolidate campuses to have bigger, more well supported campuses, it allows schools to have a bigger impact and better support students. riordan is actually a great example of this. going coed and expanding the campus, while it required closing another campus, allowed more students to be reached and better supported than keeping two separate campuses did.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
No
OMG, This response mirrors Our Former President,…in regards to immigrants from Hati, eating dogs & cats.

It seems that SHC posters seem to float a shiney objects in response to thier projected loss in te #WCAL ToiletBowl Game….can’t win distract

Facts would be stated comparison of college prep courses available,… I believe SHC is far behind their City program counter parts of SI or Riordan.

Maybe we should publish SI, r Riordan vs SHCgrads to:
2 year
4 year
Military
Or Trade programs

SHC posters,…stay focused on HS Prep sportsmessage board topics,… C’Mon Man😎😎

from a long term standpoint the closing of some of the catholic schools might be a responsible and good decision by the respective dioceses. if they consolidate campuses to have bigger, more well supported campuses, it allows schools to have a bigger impact and better support students. riordan is actually a great example of this. going coed and expanding the campus, while it required closing another campus, allowed more students to be reached and better supported than keeping two separate campuses did.
I'm afraid I have to disagree, single-gender high schools can benefit a student's academic development a lot

No

OMG, This response mirrors Our Former President,…in regards to immigrants from Hati, eating dogs & cats.

It seems that SHC posters seem to float a shiney objects in response to thier projected loss in te #WCAL ToiletBowl Game….can’t win distract

Facts would be stated comparison of college prep courses available,… I believe SHC is far behind their City program counter parts of SI or Riordan.

Maybe we should publish SI, r Riordan vs SHCgrads to:
2 year
4 year
Military
Or Trade programs

SHC posters,…stay focused on HS Prep sportsmessage board topics,… C’Mon Man😎😎
Why is it wrong to say that educational institutions should have higher standards than C- grades?

I'm afraid I have to disagree, single-gender high schools can benefit a student's academic development a lot
i think your perspective fair, i think the debate that the dioceses are having is about having two single gender high schools operating at 50 percent capacity due to lack of resources vs. versus having one coed school operating at about 85 to 90% percent. because the rise in operating cost is going up way faster than the tuition rates are and this will continue for the four seeable future. from an individual student perspective i think you are correct and coming from the right place, but if the choice is coed/bigger campuses or neither and the schools close then i think the dioceses have to do what they have to do in order to keep the doors open and serve as many young people as possible as best they can.

just my two sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT