ADVERTISEMENT
We have one more game to play in this third week of WCAL action. If Sacred Heart Cathedral beats Archbishop Mitty (which might happen in this crazy week), I will come back to adjust this round of my rankings.

St. Francis beat Junipero Serra by TD tonight. There were a few that believed this would happen but I still thought JS would win out. The other surprising, really far more surprising game outcome, was Valley Christian dominating Archbishop Riordan. One or two posters called this game a tossup. But I thought AR would throttle VC via their passing game. Something has fundamentally changed for both teams.

Here's my rankings.
1. SI - No challenge from BCP and still holding the top spot. Next week, SI meets SF which should be a good game and very likely the last big test for the Wildcats.
2. SF - Tonight, the Lancers shut up critics by controlling the outcome of their win over JS. Next week, they meet SI and proponents of SF will get a chance to be vindicated.
3. JS - Serra started out the season ranked #1 but most people, including me, thought they could easily fall as low as #3. Then JS edged Folsom and it seemed the Padres were on their way to another stellar year. Two WCAL losses later, here they are #3. They play AM next week.
4. VC - The Warriors unexpectedly (at least by me) dominated AR to pull themselves back into the upper half of WCAL. At the beginning of the season, I put VC at either #4 or #5 but I thought it would be a position battle with SI, not AR. Something has fundamentally changed for the Warriors. I have my theory but still need to verify it against their roster. VC has the WCAL top three still ahead on their schedule, starting with SI next week.
5. AR - The Crusaders have hit some kind of crisis in their season this year. Many thought they would be contending for the top 3 of WCAL this year and a few thought they would contend for the top levels of NorCal. But that hope has not materialized.
6. AM - The Monarchs' game with SHC happens Saturday. AM is expected to win but expectations seem to be challenged this weekend.
7. SHC - The Irish will have a chance to improve their ranking tomorrow. If they are successful, I will come back to adjust this 3rd week of WCAL rankings.
8. BCP - Enough said.
I have to make a minor adjustment since SHC overtook the AM in the last minutes of their game this afternoon. I took a moment to make sure that the exchange of Mitty - Sacred Heart Cathedral didn't conflict with other achievements in their seasons. This is the same ranking list with only #6 and #7 changing.

#1. SI
#2. SF
#3. JS
#4. VC
#5. AR
#6. SHC
#7. AM
#8. BCP

Looks like you will finally have to waver after this week.
SI/SF game gives winner a firm grasp at league title. However the SI/VC game and SF/Riordan game are difficult challenges for SI and SF. Riordan as disappointing a season they are having still pose a very big threat namely their offense still is really good. The effort vs VC was sorely lacking. I watched the stream and one team really wanted to play and the other did not. I guess when you lock in your college offers and make commitments that fire doesnt burn as hot some games.

SI/SF game gives winner a firm grasp at league title. However the SI/VC game and SF/Riordan game are difficult challenges for SI and SF. Riordan as disappointing a season they are having still pose a very big threat namely their offense still is really good. The effort vs VC was sorely lacking. I watched the stream and one team really wanted to play and the other did not. I guess when you lock in your college offers and make commitments that fire doesnt burn as hot some games.

As a Recruiter, I'd be concerned about the mental toughness of those players I was recruiting from Riordan if that were the case.

As a Recruiter, I'd be concerned about the mental toughness of those players I was recruiting from Riordan if that were the case.
Either Riordan’s players are not as good as their recruiting profiles state or they are poorly coached….

I don’t care if they are all juniors or whatever, they should not be losing games with a big lead against SI and getting boatraced by VC, if you really have 10 D1 level players or whatever has been stated regarding Riordan…..

Still a ways to go in the season so we will see how this all plays out….

Riordan is an odd case.

They’re 2-4. 3 of their losses have come against top 10-15 Bay Area programs and one of their losses on the road to a team who gifted Folsom a state championship last season. On the flip side, one of their wins came against an SHC team who anyone with a pulse should beat and a McClymonds team that is arguably underperforming (21-0 W to Fremont is eye opening). So one might argue that they’re not nearly as bad as that 2-4 record indicates. Others might argue that those two wins are reaches.

Just for the sake of conversation, let’s say they go 2-2 to end the year and are in a “Last Team In / First Team Out” scenario come the playoffs……who in the open division really wants to see them a second time? They’re as talented as anyone. I get that SI beat them but they had to fight their asses off for that one. Is a second matchup against a team that wants revenge really what they want?

And now, let’s say they end up in Division 2…who in their right mind is going to want to play them? As of tonight PAL Booster has Christopher, Menlo-Atherton, Wilcox, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Burlingame, Menlo, Monterey and Palma…which one of those teams have the horse power to match up with them?!

Riordan is an odd case.

They’re 2-4. 3 of their losses have come against top 10-15 Bay Area programs and one of their losses on the road to a team who gifted Folsom a state championship last season. On the flip side, one of their wins came against an SHC team who anyone with a pulse should beat and a McClymonds team that is arguably underperforming (21-0 W to Fremont is eye opening). So one might argue that they’re not nearly as bad as that 2-4 record indicates. Others might argue that those two wins are reaches.

Just for the sake of conversation, let’s say they go 2-2 to end the year and are in a “Last Team In / First Team Out” scenario come the playoffs……who in the open division really wants to see them a second time? They’re as talented as anyone. I get that SI beat them but they had to fight their asses off for that one. Is a second matchup against a team that wants revenge really what they want?

And now, let’s say they end up in Division 2…who in their right mind is going to want to play them? As of tonight PAL Booster has Christopher, Menlo-Atherton, Wilcox, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Burlingame, Menlo, Monterey and Palma…which one of those teams have the horse power to match up with them?!
There is no doubt that Riordan created a good schedule. And you are right that their losses are typically from top rated teams. So everything you post seems right. It would, however IMO, be disgraceful for them to be moved to CCS DII playoffs.

Even though you are correct about Riordan's record, I am sure the negative tone towards them right now is related to disappointment of their talent potential vs their actual field play. I, for one, thought they would have an exceptional year. And a few proponents suggested this was Riordan's year to shine bright in NorCal. So far, none of these expectations has materialized. And now to consider a CCS DII placement is just such a low expectation.

Reactions: THEOC89
There is no doubt that Riordan created a good schedule. And you are right that their losses are typically from top rated teams. So everything you post seems right. It would, however IMO, be disgraceful for them to be moved to CCS DII playoffs.

Even though you are correct about Riordan's record, I am sure the negative tone towards them right now is related to disappointment of their talent potential vs their actual field play. I, for one, thought they would have an exceptional year. And a few proponents suggested this was Riordan's year to shine bright in NorCal. So far, none of these expectations has materialized. And now to consider a CCS DII placement is just such a low expectation.
Would Riordan even be playoff eligible at 4-6?

Riordan is an odd case.

So now we go from Riordan Competing for CCS Open with 10 or more D1 players to now being a D2 team?….. 🤣

Any team with 10 or more D1 players should be embarrassed to be in any D2 level and not competing for the Nor Cal Open spot…..

Riordan is just not living up to their hype, and either their talent is Vastly overrated or their Coach is not very good….

Just looks at Riordans best win which was over McClymonds….. Riordan was up 14-0 in that game then went down by 14 and had to come back and win….

This is not a good team…. They are proving to be very average…. And big deal about their schedule…. It’s not like they played Serra’s schedule….

So now we go from Riordan Competing for CCS Open with 10 or more D1 players to now being a D2 team?….. 🤣

Any team with 10 or more D1 players should be embarrassed to be in any D2 level and not competing for the Nor Cal Open spot…..

Riordan is just not living up to their hype, and either their talent is Vastly overrated or their Coach is not very good….

Just looks at Riordans best win which was over McClymonds….. Riordan was up 14-0 in that game then went down by 14 and had to come back and win….

This is not a good team…. They are proving to be very average…. And big deal about their schedule…. It’s not like they played Serra’s schedule….
3-7 with 2 wins against SH in their last 10

And big deal about their schedule…. It’s not like they played Serra’s schedule….

Oh, wow LOL! So Serra played Folsom who was gifted a Division 1 State title by St. Bonaventure, Bosco who failed to “running clock” Pitt, something they’ve do to Serra each and every time they play and De La Salle who just played McClymonds last year and failed to mercy rule them. Yeah, Serra’s schedule was better but not by much and given the match up, I’m not sure Serra beats Mack this year! I’m positive they get boat raced by Pitt

You’ve got to keep in mind that this Riordan regime is still in their infancy. If my memory serves me right, Ravipati didn’t even get hired until like May of his first season. He didn’t take over Folsom like Doherty did or even Grant like Carl Reed did. He took over a program that was in perennial bottom dweller in the WCAL. The notion that they were a real threat to re-claim the state came from people being enamored with the offers. Let’s not forget that before Serra’s recent NorCal reign, they consistently fell flat on their faces time and time again. Hell, their only state Championship thus far is at the Division 2AA Level in their own right!

Of course there’s going to be growing pains. A deep playoff run wherever they are placed will do a lot of good here

• Haha
Reactions: Niklas227
It is not impossible to turn the Riordan season around.
V/C defense is ran by a St Francis grad who learned the defense scheme from some of the great wcal coaches of all time. Go back and check the books from literally the mid 70's to the 2000 the Lancer defense was very tough, without a bunch of D-1 guys. Scheme and smart really works

Reactions: Defense_Rules
You’ve got to keep in mind that this Riordan regime is still in their infancy. If my memory serves me right, Ravipati didn’t even get hired until like May of his first season. He didn’t take over Folsom like Doherty did or even Grant like Carl Reed did. He took over a program that was in perennial bottom dweller in the WCAL. The notion that they were a real threat to re-claim the state came from people being enamored with the offers. Let’s not forget that before Serra’s recent NorCal reign, they consistently fell flat on their faces time and time again. Hell, their only state Championship thus far is at the Division 2AA Level in their own right!

Of course there’s going to be growing pains. A deep playoff run wherever they are placed will do a lot of good here

The infancy excuse isn't valid anymore especially with what SI is doing. Vandermade is showing tremendous improvement at SI and is doing it in his 2nd year without the same caliber of players?

Diaz-Infante who is also in his 2nd year @ Bellarmine is a different story altogether considering he came from the NFL.

Last edited:
The infancy excuse isn't valid anymore especially with what SI is doing. Vandermade is showing tremendous improvement at SI and is doing it in his 2nd year without the same caliber of players?

Diaz-Infante who is also in his 2nd year @ Bellarmine is a different story altogether considering he came from the NFL.
Vandermade is building a culture like Walsh did in his early years when he won WCAL in year 2 of coaching at Serra. Serra's 1st WCAL title in 30 years. I agree, the infancy excuse isn't valid anymore.

Vandermade is building a culture like Walsh did in his early years when he won WCAL in year 2 of coaching at Serra. Serra's 1st WCAL title in 30 years. I agree, the infancy excuse isn't valid anymore.
Vandermade has done a tremendous job this year, but let’s not kid ourselves, he faced Serra at the end of their 3 year domination. Yes SI is 3-0, but their wins against Serra and Riordan were by a combined 4 points. Lots of football to be played and both St. Francis and VC and perhaps Mitty if they get their injured players back will have a say. Also, that season-ending B-M game at Kezar should be a doozy! And SI will play these same teams most likely come CCS.
Agree. Riordan is struggling and are underwhelming. Are they overrated, poorly coached? We shall see…

Reactions: ChewpaMiverga
V/C defense is ran by a St Francis grad who learned the defense scheme from some of the great wcal coaches of all time. Go back and check the books from literally the mid 70's to the 2000 the Lancer defense was very tough, without a bunch of D-1 guys. Scheme and smart really works
1985 Mercury-News All-CCS
POY Eric Scharrenberg, St. Francis

He was a great player in his day too.

Riordan is an odd case.

That McClymonds-Fremont game was stopped in the second quarter due to a fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT