ADVERTISEMENT
It’s pretty amazing VC is doing this without a real QB. Stout and opportunistic scoring defense and a one-two punch at running back. That Machado can really coach his butt off.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Heck yes I pumped to be ahead but I was never confident. Sure enough my concerns were valid. Our DB #2 was dead center with Keanaaina to make the tackle and stop that long run in 3rd Qtr. but he didn’t want any smoke and watched him run right by him.

Damn
Let’s be real. Any DB as wire-thin as Wiley and there are those on many teams so not singling him out, is going to make a business decision and not take on Kingston 1 v 1. But I give it to that SI defense, 9 guys (not the cornerbacks) played an extremely physical game. You better hope your two WR Polk and Shelton aren’t too shaken up. They looked like they had to go into the infirmary after the hits they took.

It’s pretty amazing VC is doing this without a real QB. Stout and opportunistic scoring defense and a one-two punch at running back. That Machado can really coach his butt off.
He’s a freshman, but has played football since he was a pee wee with the same VC players. Very poised and doesn’t make mistakes.

He’s a freshman, but has played football since he was a pee wee with the same VC players. Very poised and doesn’t make mistakes.
For sure! His lack of mistakes is a huge part of VCs success so far. When your highlight reel is basically hand offs, QB power, and play action, its hard to screw up. Even for a freshman. Does he play any other position? He's probably better suited to be middle LB. Seeing a QB that size brings images of JaMarcus Russell to mind.

Lets see if VC can play spoiler and down the cherries.

We have arrived at one of the most defining week for WCAL play. The Wildcats defended and lost their top billing this weekend. This Lancer victory vindicates predictions made by a couple posters who insisted St. Francis was the best team in WCAL this year. For me, this game showed that the WCAL league is not particularly strong this year. Both Serra and St. Francis lost to DLS by double digits. And while Serra beat Folsom, this game now seems like an anomaly. Riordan lost to San Ramon Valley who just got blasted by DLS. Sure, we all know the best of WCAL teams will provide a strong defensive battle to any team but I think there is a lot of parity among the top CCS teams this year.
Here's my rankings.
1. SF - The Lancers was ready for the strong second half pattern of the Wildcats play. It was all SF in the second half at SI's home. The Lancers still have AR, VC and SHC ahead of them.
2. SI - The Wildcats couldn't get their offense going in the second half to compete with SF. They have VC, SHC and AM teams remaining.
3. JS - The Padres dispatched AM with decisiveness this afternoon. They still have BCP, AR and VC remaining.
4. VC - The Warriors seemed lackluster in their win over SHC or possibly the Irish came to play. Either way, VC maintained their hold on 4th place in WCAL. They have the top three of WCAL ahead of them.
5. AR - The Crusaders had no problem dealing with BCP this afternoon. They have AM, JS and SF still ahead.
6. SHC - The Irish made a good stand against VC but just couldn't keep them from scoring. The Irish have SF, SI and BCP on the schedule.
7. AM - The Monarchs got plenty of points on the board but just couldn't stop JS from scoring at will. The schedule holds AR, BCP and SI in the future.
8. BCP - Enough said.
I don’t think the WCAL is weak this year. I think de la Salle is better than they’ve been in over a decade. I think this DLS team could actually beat Bosco, not mater dei, but Bosco. Saint Francis has historically good running back and serra is good too, but young. They’re going to slay next year. I can’t wait to see what DLS does in state. Unfortunately, I think they’re going to be matched up with mater dei and they don’t have the guns for them

I don’t think the WCAL is weak this year. I think de la Salle is better than they’ve been in over a decade. I think this DLS team could actually beat Bosco, not mater dei, but Bosco. Saint Francis has historically good running back and serra is good too, but young. They’re going to slay next year. I can’t wait to see what DLS does in state. Unfortunately, I think they’re going to be matched up with mater dei and they don’t have the guns for them
Serra won't slay without a quality QB.

Does anyone know what the Open/D1 playoffs would look like if the season ended today?
Open DLS vs Mater dei
D1AA Nor cal Pittsburg vs Folsom So Cal Lincoln vs sierra canyon
D1A Nor cal Rocklin vs St Francis So cal Clovis East vs Granite hills

Last edited:
I think this is NorCal in general

St Francis
Serra did for a long time
And De la salle still does

Outside of Folsom, St Mary and a few others. It's more of a run the ball control the clock football game here.

Southern California
Texas
Florida
Georgia

More passing the ball and spread offense.

I mean at least that what it seems Folsom got a 5 star QB but I think most of NorCal doesn't have a 2 star or a highly touted QB

Down south and then other states are heavy on the QB and speed
Great points. I think DLS has the most dynamic run game of the three teams you listed (SF, DLS, Serra), and it's bolstered by their discipline, coaching & that beautiful explosive line snap technique. I love what Walsh has done by infusing some more pro-style packages. Even though Serra is having a bit of a down-year by their standards, they will be in just about any game because their offense is dynamic enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT