ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2024 Football Schedules

A previous post from last season mentioned Mann was a frosh @ Serra before transferring to Leland after less than a month.

A previous post from last season mentioned Mann was a frosh @ Serra before transferring to Leland after less than a month.
That post was from me. I believe he was enrolled at Serra his freshman year and attended August practices before classes started but withdrew from Serra and enrolled at Lelend and played there. Never attended a class at Serra therefore no transcripts to actually transfer.

Reactions: cityfan
Serra doesn’t even matter. Leland, where he played at, to SI, where he then played at, is two schools.

The next school he transferred to would have got him a 365-day sit out period from the time of the transfer. His best bet was to leave the state all together.

Rashada had IMG in between Liberty and Pittsburg. Let’s say he had gone from Liberty to Serra to Pittsburg, the move to Pitt would have cost him a 365-Day sit out period.

This is all publicly stated on the CIF Website.

Reactions: THEOC89 and cityfan
Not surprised it’s out of state. 3rd school is supposed to warrant you a “365”. Kind of the reason why Rashada was able to play immediately at Pitt. Had his Dad sent him to Folsom (for example) for they left Liberty he would have had to sit a year before playing at Pitt. Since IMG is across the country, the CIF gave him a pass.

I heard despite having a strong arm. He just didn’t know how to play the position. I mean he had a D1 College type coach last year and couldn’t breakthrough. That says it all for me.

Isn’t Bishop Manogue in Reno not Vegas ?
Yes. Been to BM games. Nice school. My son used to compete against them when he was in high school. Same area as Cade McNamara but different leagues. Interestingly BM plays several norcal powers this season including St Mary's (home in Reno), Rocklin (away) and Pittsburg (away), and Central Catholic (away) in the early season

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
I heard despite having a strong arm. He just didn’t know how to play the position. I mean he had a D1 College type coach last year and couldn’t breakthrough. That says it all for me.

I was going to ask why such a highly rated high school player would transfer to so many schools. Is this normal for a 3 star high school QB in todays transfer portal era?

Is it a polynesian guy? If it is, watch out! There's going to be a 3 way battle between Serra, Riordan and SI for the all the top polynesian kids every year in the 650.

Is it a polynesian guy? If it is, watch out! There's going to be a 3 way battle between Serra, Riordan and SI for the all the top polynesian kids every year in the 650.
Except they'll actually get developed @ SI and end up at Power 5 school.

I think Serra's best guy on the line last year went to San Jose State.

Good for him but not great from a program thats been so dominant in the north.

Doesn’t Riordan have a bunch of Polys with power 5 offers?

Serra has a ‘27 lineman with offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Tennessee, and Washington and a ‘25 lineman with offers from BYU, WSU, and Oregon State among many others (I guess WSU and OSU might not be power anymore). They have other ‘25 players with offers from Harvard, Columbia, and Cornell, which of course are not Power 4, but can work out well in the long term.

This year, they had nine kids sign at early signing day. An alum will likely start for Washington on the o line this fall.

Reactions: jordan24
SI is 6th in line. St. Francis and VC also have a solid pipeline of Polys.

Serra has a ‘27 lineman with offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Tennessee, and Washington and a ‘25 lineman with offers from BYU, WSU, and Oregon State among many others (I guess WSU and OSU might not be power anymore). They have other ‘25 players with offers from Harvard, Columbia, and Cornell, which of course are not Power 4, but can work out well in the long term.

This year, they had nine kids sign at early signing day. An alum will likely start for Washington on the o line this fall.
It all sounds good but I know there are a lot of kids getting offers early but unless the kid is a 4 star the offer isn't a commit-able offer. Coaches are wanting to keep their options open and scholarships available for a potential opportunity. We can all thank the transfer portal and NIL deals for that.
Nothing is real until they actually sign.

It all sounds good but I know there are a lot of kids getting offers early but unless the kid is a 4 star the offer isn't a commit-able offer. Coaches are wanting to keep their options open and scholarships available for a potential opportunity. We can all thank the transfer portal and NIL deals for that.
Nothing is real until they actually sign.
Serra had at least 10 kids commit and sign this year, including to Tennessee, Arizona, and Ok State.

Last edited:
Power 5 programs and got whupped in the State Championship? Either you're lying or thats not a good look for Serra.
Got whooped by the #1 team in the entire country that has 40-50 D1 players on their roster at any given time? What’s the “shame” I’m not understanding correctly ?

Reactions: cityfan
10 kids to Power 5 programs and got whupped in the State Championship? Either you're lying or thats not a good look for Serra.
I did not say they were all Power 5 (now Power 4), and please pump the brakes on calling me a liar. That is unnecessarily aggressive.

Last edited:
I did not say they were all Power 5 (now Power 4), and please pump the brakes on calling me a liar. That is unnecessarily aggressive.
Apologies dcpanda, I didn't mean to trigger you as I don't think you're lying. However, that play calling in the state championship was suspect by Serra so I'll defer to the latter..

Got whooped by the #1 team in the entire country that has 40-50 D1 players on their roster at any given time? What’s the “shame” I’m not understanding correctly ?
I don’t think there are 40-50 D1 kids on any HS teams roster…. MD might have as many as 20….

The shame is Serra has has been out scored 125-7 in their 3 trips to the open… That’s a team that is defeated before they even show up and plays like they don’t even want to be there….

Conversely DLS scored 70 points in their last 3 trips to the open against teams equally or more stacked as the ones Serra played…. So yes, with all the talent Serra has put together, their performance as the Nor Cal open rep has been incredibly disappointing…..

I don’t think there are 40-50 D1 kids on any HS teams roster…. MD might have as many as 20….

The shame is Serra has has been out scored 125-7 in their 3 trips to the open… That’s a team that is defeated before they even show up and plays like they don’t even want to be there….

Conversely DLS scored 70 points in their last 3 trips to the open against teams equally or more stacked as the ones Serra played…. So yes, with all the talent Serra has put together, their performance as the Nor Cal open rep has been incredibly disappointing…..
Between sophomore, juniors and seniors there is only 20 guys with offers from D1 schools? Hmmmm okay guess I misheard the announcers and misread the articles I read my bad

“The count is now over 75, with at least 41 Braves holding a Division I offer or a national ranking and 35 Monarchs able to say the same. It seems like the number rises by 10 or so every season.”

Reactions: dcpanda
Without a clear-cut starter at QB and a defense decimated by graduation, Serra is ripe for some 2024 WCAL losses _ not to mention defeats during the pre-season challenges posed by Folsom, DLS and the dreaded SJB. Look for the Padres to become as conservative as possible this fall. No 50-0 cakewalks for them this year.

I’ve heard Serra has done pretty well against NorCal teams recently. They’ve won 28 straight games against NorCal opponents.

Without a clear-cut starter at QB and a defense decimated by graduation, Serra is ripe for some 2024 WCAL losses _ not to mention defeats during the pre-season challenges posed by Folsom, DLS and the dreaded SJB. Look for the Padres to become as conservative as possible this fall. No 50-0 cakewalks for them this year.
I wouldn't be surprised if SI upsets them in that first game. 😏

The SI football program has been in the kitchen cooking all off season.

I'm expecting a much bigger year considering Coach Vandermade's very successful inaugural 2023 season .
Honestly for SI to take this long to insert themselves as top echelon in football is a head-scratcher. They literally can pick any kid from anywhere and that kid is going to come. They have far more resources than any school in the 415. They have all the facilities. The only thing I can think of that holding them back perhaps is gpa (I just looked at its just 2.0 so thats not hard at all).

Honestly for SI to take this long to insert themselves as top echelon in football is a head-scratcher. They literally can pick any kid from anywhere and that kid is going to come. They have far more resources than any school in the 415. They have all the facilities. The only thing I can think of that holding them back perhaps is gpa (I just looked at its just 2.0 so thats not hard at all).
We needed a leader that understood the game and had a plan for developing a football program.
Many of the kids, parents, and alumni are excited for this upcoming year.

Reactions: THEOC89
I wouldn't be surprised if SI upsets them in that first game. 😏
If Serra has two studs on the line and can compliment them with a couple of other solid linemen the league should look out. People seem to forget that Walsh has really made his bones running the football. I have a feeling Serra will be physical with an F. Their running game completely destroyed riordan last year, I think they opened the game with 10-12 runs in a row. I can see similar outcomes in a lot of league games. DLS, Bosco & Folsom would be a different story. Everybody is happy to throw dirt on Serra and talk about how they will start 0-3 but many coaches lose all of their key players and respond by putting together the toughest schedule in NorCal. I think the Padres biggest concern will be coming out of the preseason healthy.

If Serra has two studs on the line and can compliment them with a couple of other solid linemen the league should look out. People seem to forget that Walsh has really made his bones running the football. I have a feeling Serra will be physical with an F. Their running game completely destroyed riordan last year, I think they opened the game with 10-12 runs in a row. I can see similar outcomes in a lot of league games. DLS, Bosco & Folsom would be a different story. Everybody is happy to throw dirt on Serra and talk about how they will start 0-3 but many coaches lose all of their key players and respond by putting together the toughest schedule in NorCal. I think the Padres biggest concern will be coming out of the preseason healthy.
Agree. I wouldn’t sleep on Serra. They’re the top WCAL team until proven otherwise. The Padres return a very good rb and bring up a promising one from JVs. SI couldn’t stop Riordan’s rushing attack in the 2nd half of their game led by a freshman who scored at will with 4 rushing TDs.

Last edited:
SI has the top offensive lineman in Northern California John Mills and their other OL stud was the WCAL Freshman of the Year in Isaia Vandermade.
Our HC was a OL himself at the highest level so he knows a thing or two about pounding the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT