ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

So if I understand you & I agree that the top 3 teams or the upper tier of the WCAL league has been fairly consistent, correct? The middle tier of Mitty & Bells is a bit in question this year as Bells seem to be dramatically down - which appears more from a talent standpoint than anything else [and so happens to even good teams occasionally].
Granted the lower tier of SF teams has been weak for a number of years now and specifically hurt due to smaller roster sizes. Whether than continues or not is anyone's guess.

Yes, I agree with the one caveat. It assumes those top 3 WCAL teams will have continued success to bring their overall numbers up and that is certainly not a given. And with the silly CCS point system, a team like Serra wont be chosen to play in regional unless they win their division since their point total is not likely to be high enough to be selected as runner-up. (whether a runner up deserves it is another debate! lol)

Good game on as S.I. and Riordan tied 14-14 at the 1/2.

S.I. was a 14-point favorite coming in so this could be an upset in the making, we'll see...

Riordan HS vs St. Ignatius HS @ Kezar Stadium (COMCAST) - 7pm Free
http://baosn.tv/

Nice to see the team get their first league win in 2 seasons. A mix of seniors and talented underclassmen making significant contributions. Soph Clark, Fox and the Mezie bros also performed well tonight. City title up for grabs!

Wasn't that the first league win in 1 year? Not to throw shade in your direction, but didn't Riordan go for a CCS title two years ago. Hold the Press!!!!!
Jordan is correct in his passive/agressive post on Riordan....that CCS title was three years ago this season. Based on the underclass men. I see another shot at the low hanging fruit of the South Bay WCAL treams

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
BTW....good point Rmbr, the I guess the "Kings for Kezar" once again is the only parameter is left the city school

Last Nite's Scores:

Riordan over S.I. 26-20 in O/T
SF 42-21 over Mitty
VC 28-10 over Bells [VC led 28-3 at 1/2]

The Riordan-SHC game suddenly is much more interesting and one team will have at least 2 league wins at the conclusion.
SHC also has Bellarmine upcoming and after the Riordan game vs Bells [14-7] it looks as though the Irish may have a fighting chance in that game as well as the Bells continue to struggle.

Rmbr?

Walk me through you thought process?

1. ARHS vs SHC: Riordan wins and pulls out win over Bells with all players on board. Does CCS give them invite.

2. SHC falls to Bells, their only fight in their season is the SF, Kings of Kezar goal, by trying to pull one out against Riordan?

What are you thoughts as the Oracle of the WCAL?

Wasn't that the first league win in 1 year? Not to throw shade in your direction, but didn't Riordan go for a CCS title two years ago. Hold the Press!!!!!
Jordan is correct in his passive/agressive post on Riordan....that CCS title was three years ago this season. Based on the underclass men. I see another shot at the low hanging fruit of the South Bay WCAL treams
SFCityFan, You are correct - it only been a season and a half since the Crusaders last WCAL win. 2015 is in the distant rear view mirror...but that class opened up the doors for kids to consider Phelan Ave. where in the past, it was not even a consideration.
My comments of their performance early in the season was how I saw it, but you are proving me wrong, and rightly so. The Crusaders' performance has been markedly improved with many of its players returning back from injury, transfer rule sit out, etc. Next week's game vs St. Francis will be an indicator of their improvement. I'm not calling for a victory, but if they stay competitive throughout - those are positive steps. Imagine the depth of the Crusaders if QB #13 did not decide to end his football career due to his serious concussion? Future looks bright, though. I heard the announcers state that the starting O/D line had 1 Sr, 2 jrs and 2 sophs. Add Jelani Clark and, from what I am hearing throughout the league of promising qb #3 and wr # 13 on the Frosh team and the direction of the program appears to be on the upswing.

That was a great post Jordan, it actually sounds like you are Channeling the former HC at Riordan as we were waiting for pumkin fries last night.

From what is on the streets in the city and peninsula the Admission Director is combing through Apps, that bring not only diversity but talent also.

Hey, did you notice the trival support from the SI side? Not only cause the Riordan Band was rocking, but parents and fan support on the Riordan side seemed to have the, "We R Riordan" attitude.

I guess the new HC at Riordan and his staff, with support of AD and new principle are doing the right things to raise the FB profile at Riordan.

It may be a reach, the strangle hold on Resources with eligibility and IR made Riordsn stumble on Napa.

I am really interested in Rmbr feed back on my earlier question?

Rmbr?

Walk me through you thought process?
1. ARHS vs SHC: Riordan wins and pulls out win over Bells with all players on board. Does CCS give them invite.
2. SHC falls to Bells, their only fight in their season is the SF, Kings of Kezar goal, by trying to pull one out against Riordan?
What are you thoughts as the Oracle of the WCAL?

SFcityfan: That was a HUGE win for Riordan last night and like the SHC-S.I. game it could have gone either way.
The important thing is Riordan has the win and unfortunately S.I. has another very tough loss. If Riordan takes down SHC then the Crusaders' likely get the post season invite.

The other really big game affecting the 2 teams is the SHC-Bells game. The Bells seem to be reeling at this point and simply cannot get their offense on track. The Bells have scored 31-points their last 4 games or under 8-points per game. SHC had scored 38 points their previous 3 games and has 21 today against Serra for 59 points over 4 games, nearly double that of the Bells. While the opponents have been different the Irish have a realistic shot at upending the Bells upcoming and if that is the case that would really cloud the waters should Riordan then win against SHC.
If Irish win against Bells and then Riordan then we'll see Irish in post season likely. Crusaders have a shot at 2 league wins and SHC 2 wins or possibly 3.

On another note Serra did win the game today 51-21 against SHC. The Irish looked dreadful early on, but then started to get their offense rolling a bit. One of the most apparent problems SHC had was its WR's dropping balls or short-arming them in Serra's secondary. Will Iron's stats unfortunately will not reflect the accurate passes he made that should have been caught. Had one ball not been dropped deep inside the red zone then SHC likely could have had another TD.

SFcityfan: That was a HUGE win for Riordan last night and like the SHC-S.I. game it could have gone either way.
The important thing is Riordan has the win and unfortunately S.I. has another very tough loss. If Riordan takes down SHC then the Crusaders' likely get the post season invite.

The other really big game affecting the 2 teams is the SHC-Bells game. The Bells seem to be reeling at this point and simply cannot get their offense on track. The Bells have scored 31-points their last 4 games or under 8-points per game. SHC had scored 38 points their previous 3 games and has 21 today against Serra for 59 points over 4 games, nearly double that of the Bells. While the opponents have been different the Irish have a realistic shot at upending the Bells upcoming and if that is the case that would really cloud the waters should Riordan then win against SHC.
If Irish win against Bells and then Riordan then we'll see Irish in post season likely. Crusaders have a shot at 2 league wins and SHC 2 wins or possibly 3.

On another note Serra did win the game today 51-21 against SHC. The Irish looked dreadful early on, but then started to get their offense rolling a bit. One of the most apparent problems SHC had was its WR's dropping balls or short-arming them in Serra's secondary. Will Iron's stats unfortunately will not reflect the accurate passes he made that should have been caught. Had one ball not been dropped deep inside the red zone then SHC likely could have had another TD.
Were the Bells still w/o Cade Hall and the other key starters last night? Irish-Bells should be close, more so if the Bells are still short handed.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

After four WCAL tests, Serra is averaging about 52 digits per outing. The Serra record book indicates that figure is, by far, the highest per-game offensive average after four league games in school history, whether CAL or WCAL. It may be the highest number after four league games in WCAL history as well. But that is not confirmed. And, to think, this addled sage thought Serra's offense would suffer without Leki Nunn. So far, so good. Very good. Historically good. And, lately, Coach Walsh has actually been holding down the scores. Good for him. VC on Oct. 28 should provide a very stiff challenge for that runaway Serra offensive train.

Yes Serra is rolling at this point though has not faced either of the other 2 "top tier teams", neither of whom will be likely to give up 50+ to the Padres. Having said that I stated early on Serra would not suffer much of a drop-off even without the multi-faceted Leki Nunn from the previous 3 seasons [as the other most important skill players were all returning & QB Bottari had already shown he was quite capable].

I wonder how many Serra fans had mild anxiety attacks when Isaiah Kendricks was sitting on the turf grabbing his knee today late 2nd quarter. This was at a time Serra was comfortably ahead and sending Kendricks up the middle in search of his 3rd TD of the 1rst 1/2. I was caught up in the moment a bit myself & then suddenly thought "the game is already a foregone conclusion as Irish cannot stop Serra, so why did they just risk one of their most important players for another meaningless TD?" [when they have plenty of reserves to fill in?].

Of the final score SHC made a bit of a run in 2nd 1/2 but outcome was never in question. Serra's #2 QB fumbled a hand-off leading to s scoop-up 90-yard TD by SHC defense & Bottari equally guilty tried to throw an off balance ill-advised pass from his own end zone resulting in another fumble at the Padres 1 or 2 yard line. While the final score was 51-21 the Padres gave the Irish 2 TD's compliments of some sloppy play [not sure how else to say it].
Serra def can ill afford such mistakes against VC or SF upcoming..

Week 6:

WCAL Rankings in CA among 1043 Teams

Ranking +/- from previous week
#43 Serra +3
#48 VC -5
#63 SF -1
#149 Mitty -1
#193 Bells +19
#220 SHC -24
#371 Riordan +60
#377 S.I. -73

* Serra and VC exchange places between highest rated teams by a very small margin, while Riordan climbs significantly with win over S.I. boosted by S.I.'s stronger schedule over Riordan's. S.I. in contrast drops down significantly now as the only winless WCAL team in league.

Power Rating +/- from previous week:

Serra 47.3 +1.9
VC 46.1 -.1
SF 43.0 +1.9
Mitty 29.8 +1.2
Bells 25.0 +3.1
SHC 22.4 -.5
Riordan 11.3 +15.1
S.I. 10.7 -2.9

* 5 of the 8 teams show slight increases with Riordan having the most significant climb. After Week #1 most of the teams dropped in ratings and rankings which continued into week 2. In the last 2 weeks the 3 top teams have shown increases both weeks in their overall ratings and highest to date except for pre-season. Next week either VC or Serra will show a significant increase.

Last edited:
Were the Bells still w/o Cade Hall and the other key starters last night? Irish-Bells should be close, more so if the Bells are still short handed.
Bells were still short handed. Hall played limited. 3 other starting lineman out as well. Junior QB who started first 2 games (2-0) with 4hQ comebacks came down with Mono and missed 3 games. Bells now going with senior. Not sure Jr. is back full strength as rumor was he was held out for enlarged spleen.

Someone can check my stats but VC had no rushing TDs. 2 passing (1 off of short field after blocked punt), 1 punt return and 1 pick 6. Other than big scoring plays Bells defense looked decent. VC kept starters in 2nd half and did not seem to let up. Bells shut them out second half. Bells definitely down this year but seem to be particularly hurt due to lack of depth as seen by key injuries/illnesses.

If full strength, don't see them losing to SHC but should be great game and atmosphere at Kezar always a treat.

Bells were still short handed. Hall played limited. 3 other starting lineman out as well. Junior QB who started first 2 games (2-0) with 4hQ comebacks came down with Mono and missed 3 games. Bells now going with senior. Not sure Jr. is back full strength as rumor was he was held out for enlarged spleen.

Someone can check my stats but VC had no rushing TDs. 2 passing (1 off of short field after blocked punt), 1 punt return and 1 pick 6. Other than big scoring plays Bells defense looked decent. VC kept starters in 2nd half and did not seem to let up. Bells shut them out second half. Bells definitely down this year but seem to be particularly hurt due to lack of depth as seen by key injuries/illnesses.

If full strength, don't see them losing to SHC but should be great game and atmosphere at Kezar always a treat.

Good write up by drdiablo some info as to whats going on with the Bells. The problem with the Bells is by no means their defense, but their offense which has been in a word - non-existent [OK 2 words]. The lack of a quality QB has put them consistently in the hole as they simply can't score. In the Mitty game the Bells went up early in the game 7-0 and couldn't score further the last 3 quarters of the game. Its unfortunate at the HS level the Bells could not make a trade for Serra's Jack Damelio who is one of the relugated back-ups and would be starting at most other schools [only QB in 2015 to throw 2 TD's against DLS - as a soph and in only 1/2 of game in place of injured Leki Nunn - would have liked to see more of the Damelio kid].
Yes the Bells were indeed a different team the first couple games with the junior QB and the entire offense functioned more smoothly. So by now going with a senior the Bells are into their 3rd QB for the season. As for the Mononucleosis [the dreaded "kissing disease"] you don't hear of that all that much any more. I had while in HS at end of FB season and if you have an enlarged spleen [as I did] then you've gotten a good dose which requires a couple months to recuperate from.

Yes Serra is rolling at this point though has not faced either of the other 2 "top tier teams", neither of whom will be likely to give up 50+ to the Padres. Having said that I stated early on Serra would not suffer much of a drop-off even without the multi-faceted Leki Nunn from the previous 3 seasons [as the other most important skill players were all returning & QB Bottari had already shown he was quite capable].

I wonder how many Serra fans had mild anxiety attacks when Isaiah Kendricks was sitting on the turf grabbing his knee today late 2nd quarter. This was at a time Serra was comfortably ahead and sending Kendricks up the middle in search of his 3rd TD of the 1rst 1/2. I was caught up in the moment a bit myself & then suddenly thought "the game is already a foregone conclusion as Irish cannot stop Serra, so why did they just risk one of their most important players for another meaningless TD?" [when they have plenty of reserves to fill in?].

Of the final score SHC made a bit of a run in 2nd 1/2 but outcome was never in question. Serra's #2 QB fumbled a hand-off leading to s scoop-up 90-yard TD by SHC defense & Bottari equally guilty tried to throw an off balance ill-advised pass from his own end zone resulting in another fumble at the Padres 1 or 2 yard line. While the final score was 51-21 the Padres gave the Irish 2 TD's compliments of some sloppy play [not sure how else to say it].
Serra def can ill afford such mistakes against VC or SF upcoming..
I hate to see a kid get hurt. But that was right after Serra pulled the onside kick which I thought was classless given the lead. Also. Are San Mateo County refs that much of homers? Every fan on the SHC side were flabbergasted how one sided the reffing was. We didn’t experience that at St. Francis or Valley Christian.

I have watched multi Serra games on the Internet and Patrick Walsh has subbed heavily and early in the second half of all one-sided games. The back-up QB, if he throws at all with a big lead, does not toss it very far downfield. I was working while I watched the game Saturday and don't recall an onside kick, but if it was in the first half, well, this is the same Serra program that lost like 66-45 or whatever a few years ago against Riordan so you can't stop playing. In some games I've seen Serra score 2nd half touchdowns when using almost an entire 2nd string and running the ball. The refs blew the call where Chris Park dropped the alleged backwards pass and then picked it up and ran it in. The ref brain-farted on where line of scrimmage was ...it was a forward pass by five yards and that was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Game announcers noted there were 7 refs and that that's more than normal ... and i will say they were indeed calling a lot of penalties, but on both teams. I think they were just calling everything they saw (or thought they saw) no matter who erred.

I have watched multi Serra games on the Internet and Patrick Walsh has subbed heavily and early in the second half of all one-sided games. The back-up QB, if he throws at all with a big lead, does not toss it very far downfield. I was working while I watched the game Saturday and don't recall an onside kick, but if it was in the first half, well, this is the same Serra program that lost like 66-45 or whatever a few years ago against Riordan so you can't stop playing. In some games I've seen Serra score 2nd half touchdowns when using almost an entire 2nd string and running the ball. The refs blew the call where Chris Park dropped the alleged backwards pass and then picked it up and ran it in. The ref brain-farted on where line of scrimmage was ...it was a forward pass by five yards and that was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Game announcers noted there were 7 refs and that that's more than normal ... and i will say they were indeed calling a lot of penalties, but on both teams. I think they were just calling everything they saw (or thought they saw) no matter who erred.
I could have done without that meaningless call with :39 left in the game on a [expletive deleted] running clock...

Last edited:
I hate to see a kid get hurt. But that was right after Serra pulled the onside kick which I thought was classless given the lead. Also. Are San Mateo County refs that much of homers? Every fan on the SHC side were flabbergasted how one sided the reffing was. We didn’t experience that at St. Francis or Valley Christian.

Yes. Even with a big lead, here come the flags. That hasn't changed in 44 years for me.

Last edited:
As berdooman said, you can’t stop playing in the first half. Serra only scored 10 in the second half, so they definitely put the brakes on. Multiple second, third and fourth stringers were on the field from what I saw.

The announcers for the game from BAOSN.TV said normally there are 5 officials for a game, but due to the lack of games on Saturday they had a crew of 7 officials for this game[?]. It would make sense the more officials you have the more flags you're likely to see. There were a few times as well that officials picked up flags with "no calls" or the head ref over-ruled on one call I saw.

OK looked up and 5 is the typical number of officials used for HS Football. In college and pros they use 7. Starting 2015 Div I college went to 8 officials while other divisions remain at 7.

3.1 Standard seven-official system

Just saw the play on Hudl. Qb was on 15 and threw to receiver on 17 who dropped the ball. A SHC tackler comes right up to him and lets up knowing he would be flagged if he laid the kid out.. With seven reffs out there, not one of them could figure that out?

Just saw the play on Hudl. Qb was on 15 and threw to receiver on 17 who dropped the ball. A SHC tackler comes right up to him and lets up knowing he would be flagged if he laid the kid out.. With seven reffs out there, not one of them could figure that out?

I've decided I have to quit watching close/controversial plays on Hudl if I want to keep my sanity, and instead just keep reminding myself this is high school football. We're spoiled by six angles on TV and instant replay and professional former-ref second-guessers, and it's just not realistic for us to think anybody out there on the field or sidelines on a Friday night will live up to the expectations we have for "getting it right".

Good write up by drdiablo some info as to whats going on with the Bells. The problem with the Bells is by no means their defense, but their offense which has been in a word - non-existent [OK 2 words]. The lack of a quality QB has put them consistently in the hole as they simply can't score. In the Mitty game the Bells went up early in the game 7-0 and couldn't score further the last 3 quarters of the game. Its unfortunate at the HS level the Bells could not make a trade for Serra's Jack Damelio who is one of the relugated back-ups and would be starting at most other schools [only QB in 2015 to throw 2 TD's against DLS - as a soph and in only 1/2 of game in place of injured Leki Nunn - would have liked to see more of the Damelio kid].
Yes the Bells were indeed a different team the first couple games with the junior QB and the entire offense functioned more smoothly. So by now going with a senior the Bells are into their 3rd QB for the season. As for the Mononucleosis [the dreaded "kissing disease"] you don't hear of that all that much any more. I had while in HS at end of FB season and if you have an enlarged spleen [as I did] then you've gotten a good dose which requires a couple months to recuperate from.

Jack DeMelio is out for the season due to a collar bone injury suffered early in the season. He is a very good baseball player and will concentrate on that sport. Football has not been kind to Jack who is a great kid.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I've decided I have to quit watching close/controversial plays on Hudl if I want to keep my sanity, and instead just keep reminding myself this is high school football. We're spoiled by six angles on TV and instant replay and professional former-ref second-guessers, and it's just not realistic for us to think anybody out there on the field or sidelines on a Friday night will live up to the expectations we have for "getting it right".
Agree. As the esteemed OneDNA, states - "It is what it is."
After years of watching HS football (and basketball), bad and good calls go both ways.

[QUOTE="Spartanwhoknows, post: 177832, member: 224"]Jack DeMelio is out for the season due to a collar bone injury suffered early in the season. He is a very good baseball player and will concentrate on that sport. Football has not been kind to Jack who is a great kid.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the "heads'up" Spartanwhoknows on Serra's Damelio [the "other" back-up QB for fans out there].
Damelio was out for most of last season after first couple games with some kind of shoulder injury [if my memory serves me right]. And now his senior year a replay of that scenario? How does a back-up QB suffer a collar bone injury anyway since I don't believe he was ever used at QB? Did they throw him in as a WR or DB in a game or was he hurt in practice [or simply aggravated the prior injury again?].
You're right about the "unlucky" breaks he's received. I thought Damelio looked very promising his soph year as the #2 QB to Leki Nunn who shared the QB duties to degree and was in numerous games. Hope he is OK for the baseball season and wish him the best.

Thoughts and prayers to the SI player hurt in the Riordan game. Heard he broke his back in four places and is having surgery.

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
Thoughts and prayers to the SI player hurt in the Riordan game. Heard he broke his back in four places and is having surgery.

Aidan Banfield was the holder on an extra point attempt, couldn't get the ball down in time, and took a hit to the head at the 1 as he was scrambling for the pylon. He was down on the field for a while, but got up and walked off and later left Kezar on foot with his parents, presumably headed for the hospital. I don't know anything specific about his injuries. Best wishes to Aidan and his family.

Reactions: jordan24
[QUOTE="Spartanwhoknows, post: 177832, member: 224"]Jack DeMelio is out for the season due to a collar bone injury suffered early in the season. He is a very good baseball player and will concentrate on that sport. Football has not been kind to Jack who is a great kid.

Thanks for the "heads'up" Spartanwhoknows on Serra's Damelio [the "other" back-up QB for fans out there].
Damelio was out for most of last season after first couple games with some kind of shoulder injury [if my memory serves me right]. And now his senior year a replay of that scenario? How does a back-up QB suffer a collar bone injury anyway since I don't believe he was ever used at QB? Did they throw him in as a WR or DB in a game or was he hurt in practice [or simply aggravated the prior injury again?].
You're right about the "unlucky" breaks he's received. I thought Damelio looked very promising his soph year as the #2 QB to Leki Nunn who shared the QB duties to degree and was in numerous games. Hope he is OK for the baseball season and wish him the best.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: CityVibesII
The injury to DeMelio happened in one of the pre season games I believe Elk Grove. It may have been on a block not sure but it was not on the same side as the injury the year before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT