ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

I can assume that you have no medical background or your diagnosis would not have "broke his back in four places". Though all of that I appreciate your concern for him and his family.

But I also want to decrease the alarmist attitiute to HS prep FB. I saw the hit he received and saw him get help off the field. I don't think he had four back breaks or he could have moved that much.

Good post, but take out the sorrow of losing and put more joy in the tack that he will have a positive outcome

Last edited:
The bar for SHC is set low. Beat S.I and all is good (for alums). Throw is a win against Riordan, and that's a pretty good year. Nobody is changing their schedules to attend CCS games.

Although SI and SHC playing at ATT Park for CCS title a few years ago was an event night.

The bar for SHC is set low. Beat S.I and all is good (for alums). Throw is a win against Riordan, and that's a pretty good year. Nobody is changing their schedules to attend CCS game.

I would. Those guys seemed pretty happy winning the first-ever outright football championship in the school's history in 2008.

The injury to DeMelio happened in one of the pre season games I believe Elk Grove. It may have been on a block not sure but it was not on the same side as the injury the year before.

Spartanwhoknows: just an FYI when quoting a post & responding with your own just hit the "quote" tab and then hit the "reply" tab & they'll both appear in the same post [rather than 2 separate ones].

That's unfortunate about Damelio as after missing most of last season I was looking forward to him getting a shot at playing time this year [I know Botari has been very good - think he completed 14 passes in a row vs SHC, but Damelio was pretty darn good as a soph 2 years ago].

Last edited:
I would. Those guys seemed pretty happy winning the first-ever outright football championship in the school's history in 2008.

Lets all be honest, no matter what happens, this year SHC football team was exciting...I for one really liked the offense this year it was much more exciting than a veer left and a veer right and up the middle. There is still some football left, hopefully, Irons can continue his throws and the receivers continue to catch at a higher percentage.

Lets all be honest, no matter what happens, this year SHC football team was exciting...I for one really liked the offense this year it was much more exciting than a veer left and a veer right and up the middle. There is still some football left, hopefully, Irons can continue his throws and the receivers continue to catch at a higher percentage.
I hope the coach works on these guys catching the ball. A lot of Irons' passes were right on the mark.

IrishCheers: your comment regarding "guys catching the ball" was spot on. Here is one of my comments at the end of the game Saturday:

"One of the most apparent problems SHC had is its WR's dropping balls or short-arming them in Serra's secondary. Will Iron's stats unfortunately will not reflect the accurate passes he made that should have been caught. Had one ball not been dropped deep inside the red zone then SHC likely could have had another TD."

The only other observation apparent was that SHC's QB Will Iron's had 3 INT's, which was due in part to his pocket breaking down prematurely and forcing him to the outside. At the same time Irons has to learn when not to force the pass if there is nothing there. Always makes me wonder in some cases how would a "Will Irons" do if was the QB for VC or Serra? Does remind me just a bit like Reed Vittel of SF.

Bottari of Serra is the #1 QB in WCAL while Irons of SHC is #2 and no one else is close to those 2 at the QB position.
Juan Turner of VC has the highest efficiency rating of 135.4, but largely due to the fact Turner has attempted only 1/4th the number of passes as Bottari or Irons.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Serra' overall team speed and depth at its skill positions this season is what places this squad as tops in the WCAL.

The bar for SHC is set low. Beat S.I and all is good (for alums). Throw is a win against Riordan, and that's a pretty good year. Nobody is changing their schedules to attend CCS games.

Although SI and SHC playing at ATT Park for CCS title a few years ago was an event night.

I dont know if you know this CityVibes but SH is not a football school. We're only good at 3 things. Boys basketball, girls basketball, girls volleyball. Recently boys soccer and baseball have a few cups of coffee and we do get one girls runner maybe every 25 years that turns into an Olympian and thats about it. So yes, beating SI in football is pretty much the Super Bowl.

Reactions: CityVibesII

I agree this offense is definitely more interesting than what we've seen the last 25 years. The HB counter trap, HB power left, HB power right, and veer stuff is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This spread passing attack won't last because Irons is 6'5 with an arm and is graduating. There is no one on the lower levels with his size and arm. We are used to the 5'10" QB that can do the hand-offs and throws the 10-15 yard wobblers.

The offense wouldve been more dynamic had Monroe played. I envisioned him being the WR in motion to be the option sweep. Defenses would have to account for him and the possibility of getting the ball on the option, Heard getting the handoff, or Irons delivering to the outside to Mitchell or Watkins, or over the middle to Orford. Talking about the possibilities really makes me sad. But you know what cures everything? We beat SI!!!!

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
If you combined the rosters of SI, SHC, and Riordan (the three SF schools that are no more than 5 miles apart), I wonder how the resulting team would do in WCAL...

I'm worried about the Crusader DBs versus SHC downfield passing game. Their DBs looked very shaky against SI. If I was coaching Riordan - I would put Jelani in at safety playing a deep center field and try to take away the deep ball.....

Serra' overall team speed and depth at its skill positions this season is what places this squad as tops in the WCAL.

What seems to be missing is a mention of the Serra O and D lines. With Mafi and Tamilau there is over 600 Lbs just between those two and they are not just big they are good. The rest of the line is also very good and understands their assignments. Coach Walsh coaches the O line just like Coach Lad did at DLS. This is the best O line that Serra has had in many years. Mafi is the best since David Bakhtiari, now right tackle for the Packers. It is always said that " Lineman Win Games". Who has the best lines will win on Saturday.

There is another 6'5 qb it the wings at SHC. Sophmore Ryan Daly. He was hurt in first game and just came back the last couple games. Very good athlete as he will be playing varsity basketball too. So well is not dry.

Confirmed with my assistant who told me about Ryan Banefield. She was at breakfast Sunday morning with a friend of Ryan's mom and the friend received a text from the mom while at breakfast.. She confirmed 4 "fractures" in upper back and surgery. And yes city I don't have training in the medical field. Again hoping for a speedy recovery for Ryan.

The Prep2Prep article below states that the Stanfel Trophy game SHC-Riordan could also determine a playoff berth for the winner? Is this true? What needs to transpire to get to that point? Appears more than the City title is at stake.
http://www.prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=21632
I think they were referring to SHC not Riordan. For playoff possibilities, PAL Booster's thread is best: https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.c...ure-post-pre-season-for-open-divisions.17206/

jordan24 - that's why the upcoming game of SHC vs Bells is so important. If SHC is able to get by Bellarmine and then ARHS the Irish are as good as in. SHC loses to Bells and then the SHC-ARHS game is a must win for either team for post-season consideration. The other game having some bearing is the last league game between Bells'-S.I. which at this point looks like a toss-up. SHC has already played VC, Serra & SF while Bells still have to play SF the week before S.I.
Still a lot of drama to take place..

jordan24 - that's why the upcoming game of SHC vs Bells is so important. If SHC is able to get by Bellarmine and then ARHS the Irish are as good as in. SHC loses to Bells and then the SHC-ARHS game is a must win for either team for post-season consideration. The other game having some bearing is the last league game between Bells'-S.I. which at this point looks like a toss-up. SHC has already played VC, Serra & SF while Bells still have to play SF the week before S.I.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

imgres

Are we talking about the Open divisions or the consolation divisions?

Conversely, how about combining the three San Jose rosters as well. Mmmm. Mitty-Bellarmine-VC.

That notion goes back many years' colhenry and can't tell you how many times I brought up in early years' on NCP's board, ie: "DLS as a private has literally no competition/boundaries for a very large area whereas other leagues such as WCAL are somewhat "watered down" due to such close proximities as with VC, Bells, Mitty & St. Francis all sharing the same trough, so to speak.
When I posted on some DLS threads their fans responses made me fearful to sleep at nights [LOl!]. The DLS "faithful" do not want to hear it & will not stand for that type of sacrilege that might infer they're in a unique type of situation allowing to garner [ie: "corner"' the most talent in a geographic area]. Instead the DLS fans prefer to believe it is because of their "brotherhood" and unique form of training regimen [which could be true and who am I to say otherwise?]. Regardless it is a situation no other school has figured how to duplicate & so the "Green Machine" continues..

Last edited:
Reactions: Defense_Rules
That notion goes back many years' colhenry and can't tell you how many times I brought up in early years' on NCP's board, ie: "DLS as a private has literally no competition/boundaries for a very large area whereas other leagues such as WCAL are somewhat "watered down" due to such close proximities as with VC, Bells, Mitty & St. Francis all sharing the same trough, so to speak.
When I posted on some DLS threads their fans responses made me fearful to sleep at nights [LOl!]. The DLS "faithful" do not want to hear it & will not stand for that type of sacrilege that might infer they're in a unique type of situation allowing to garner [ie: "corner"' the most talent in a geographic area]. Instead the DLS fans prefer to believe it is because of their "brotherhood" and unique form of training regimen [which could be true and who am I to say otherwise?]. Regardless it is a situation no other school has figured how to duplicate & so the "Green Machine" continues..

Years ago, there was a proposal to have DLS join the WCAL in football. It went nowhere. Too many issues. Same thing with Palma. In the end, the WCAL finally got to eight schools with the (semi-forced) addition of Valley Christian 15 years ago. The result (six VC titles or co-titles) speaks for itself.

NorCal Game of the Week: Valley Christian Warriors vs Serra Padres

Fri 10/27 Mitty vs St. Ignatius at Foothill College 7:00pm
Fri 10/27 Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Bellarmine at Kezar Stadium 7:00pm
Sat 10/28 Valley Christian at Serra 1:00pm
Sat 10/28 St. Francis vs Riordan at Terra Nova 7:00pm

The Over/Under:

Mitty by 14 over S.I.
SHC by 1 over Bells
SF by 39 over Riordan
Serra by 4 over VC

Who I like in this weeks games:
Mitty vs S.I.
will be interesting with Monarch's a 2-TD favorite. Mitty is a team I'm just not sure of yet & a bit of a head scratcher. Mitty's biggest win was by 1-play over an offensively challenged Bells team in O/T. Bells barely got by Riordan while Mitty crushed Riordan. S.I. is the "hard-luck" team this season and lost several close games incl to Riordan in O/T last week. S.I plays well as a team and Mitty has superior athletes at the skill positions which simply translates to more points. S.I.'s Katz is the X-factor if he can have a big game. Odds favor Mittty and minus -14.

SHC vs Bells is a game with big implications for both teams in regards to a post season selection from the WCAL.
This is the big chance the Irish have been waiting for having already taken down S.I., looking for a win vs the Bells and then Riordan and Mitty, both games in which the Irish have a chance of winning. It's difficult to pick against the Bells against any of the SF teams in recent years, however if there was a season to go with an SF team then its the Irish this week. SHC has the #2 QB in the league in Will Irons and a capable RB in Anthony Heard while the Bells are still looking for their offense to materialize. If the Irish can come out motivated for any game then this is it. The Irish need to open their "bag of tricks" so to speak and throw everything they have at the Bells when on offense. On defense the Irish have to favor the Bells running on most plays and go soft against the run. Coach Janda of Bells does not like to pass under most circumstances and the Bells do not have a strong passing QB as well.
Will go with the passing game of the Irish and a minus -1.

SF vs Riordan is a projected blow-out unfortunately and not something any of the fans wants to see. SF lost by 1-score to VC in a tight game and is looking towards their game with Serra coming up. Riordan coming off a huge win over S.I. in which the Crusader's hung in there and capitalized with their defense in O/T and then a good coaching call on offense throwing the "jump-ball" pass into the endzone against an over-matched S.I. DB [great call!].
Riordan simply staying close to SF would be a "moral victory" looking ahead to SHC [yes I hate the term "moral victory", but as a fan prefer a competitive game over a blow-out with running clock - hate the running clock].
The line is a whopping 39-points or 6 scores. The Crusader's will be facing one of the best D's in the league and must play for field position at all times in this game [listening coaches?]. The simple goal is to grind out some first downs and if field position permits use all 4 downs to get the first - there is nothing to lose in doing so when you're a 6-score "dog" in this game. I'd like to see the Crusader's beat the odds set by computers and hold the line at 3-4 scores or even ? I'll go with Crusaders +39

VC vs Serra is the game most fans will be watching and is on BAOSN.TV Saturday. With VC we will see the league's most dominant run game with a big physical O-line and a crew of capable running backs [yes "crew" as VC uses up to 6 RB's with Charlie Bostic being the league's leading rusher averaging almost 13-yards per carry. VC rarely passes but when they do their athletic WR Alton Julian is their big strike weapon. QB Juan Turner is accurate when he does pass and very efficient in directing the VC run game. WHat Turner is not is a running QB and VC does not utilize their QB with designed run plays. The VC D is very good and right up there with SF. They will be tough against the run, but have not yet played a passing team such as Serra.
Serra has not had any close games in league and that could be good or could not be good. Serra has the #1 QB in Bottari, and the #2 RB in Isaiah Kendrick [though he bruised a thigh against SHC last week]. Serra also has the league's leading WR in Patrick Nunn and several other good WR's although Serra's top WR Shane Villeroman has been dinged up lately. The biggest question mark for me will be the Serra D. Early in the year the Padre D-line was a bit soft on the run and since adjustments have been made. VC is going to run, run again & run some more and thats what everyone is expecting. If Serra has success on offense and can even slow down the potent VC run game then the game favors Serra in outscoring Valley Christian. I'll go with Serra since I picked them pre-season as my #1 team to win league this season. Serra minus -4 over VC.

NorCal Game of the Week: Valley Christian Warriors vs Serra Padres

Fri 10/27 Mitty vs St. Ignatius at Foothill College 7:00pm
Fri 10/27 Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Bellarmine at Kezar Stadium 7:00pm
Sat 10/28 Valley Christian at Serra 1:00pm
Sat 10/28 St. Francis vs Riordan at Terra Nova 7:00pm

The Over/Under:

Mitty by 14 over S.I.
SHC by 1 over Bells
SF by 39 over Riordan
Serra by 4 over VC

Who I like in this weeks games:
Mitty vs S.I.
will be interesting with Monarch's a 2-TD favorite. Mitty is a team I'm just not sure of yet & a bit of a head scratcher. Mitty's biggest win was by 1-play over an offensively challenged Bells team in O/T. Bells barely got by Riordan while Mitty crushed Riordan. S.I. is the "hard-luck" team this season and lost several close games incl to Riordan in O/T last week. S.I plays well as a team and Mitty has superior athletes at the skill positions which simply translates to more points. S.I.'s Katz is the X-factor if he can have a big game. Odds favor Mittty and minus -14.

SHC vs Bells is a game with big implications for both teams in regards to a post season selection from the WCAL.
This is the big chance the Irish have been waiting for having already taken down S.I., looking for a win vs the Bells and then Riordan and Mitty, both games in which the Irish have a chance of winning. It's difficult to pick against the Bells against any of the SF teams in recent years, however if there was a season to go with an SF team then its the Irish this week. SHC has the #2 QB in the league in Will Irons and a capable RB in Anthony Heard while the Bells are still looking for their offense to materialize. If the Irish can come out motivated for any game then this is it. The Irish need to open their "bag of tricks" so to speak and throw everything they have at the Bells when on offense. On defense the Irish have to favor the Bells running on most plays and go soft against the run. Coach Janda of Bells does not like to pass under most circumstances and the Bells do not have a strong passing QB as well.
Will go with the passing game of the Irish and a minus -1.

SF vs Riordan is a projected blow-out unfortunately and not something any of the fans wants to see. SF lost by 1-score to VC in a tight game and is looking towards their game with Serra coming up. Riordan coming off a huge win over S.I. in which the Crusader's hung in there and capitalized with their defense in O/T and then a good coaching call on offense throwing the "jump-ball" pass into the endzone against an over-matched S.I. DB [great call!].
Riordan simply staying close to SF would be a "moral victory" looking ahead to SHC [yes I hate the term "moral victory", but as a fan prefer a competitive game over a blow-out with running clock - hate the running clock].
The line is a whopping 39-points or 6 scores. The Crusader's will be facing one of the best D's in the league and must play for field position at all times in this game [listening coaches?]. The simple goal is to grind out some first downs and if field position permits use all 4 downs to get the first - there is nothing to lose in doing so when you're a 6-score "dog" in this game. I'd like to see the Crusader's beat the odds set by computers and hold the line at 3-4 scores or even ? I'll go with Crusaders +39

VC vs Serra is the game most fans will be watching and is on BAOSN.TV Saturday. With VC we will see the league's most dominant run game with a big physical O-line and a crew of capable running backs [yes "crew" as VC uses up to 6 RB's with Charlie Bostic being the league's leading rusher averaging almost 13-yards per carry. VC rarely passes but when they do their athletic WR Alton Julian is their big strike weapon. QB Juan Turner is accurate when he does pass and very efficient in directing the VC run game. WHat Turner is not is a running QB and VC does not utilize their QB with designed run plays. The VC D is very good and right up there with SF. They will be tough against the run, but have not yet played a passing team such as Serra.
Serra has not had any close games in league and that could be good or could not be good. Serra has the #1 QB in Bottari, and the #2 RB in Isaiah Kendrick [though he bruised a thigh against SHC last week]. Serra also has the league's leading WR in Patrick Nunn and several other good WR's although Serra's top WR Shane Villeroman has been dinged up lately. The biggest question mark for me will be the Serra D. Early in the year the Padre D-line was a bit soft on the run and since adjustments have been made. VC is going to run, run again & run some more and thats what everyone is expecting. If Serra has success on offense and can even slow down the potent VC run game then the game favors Serra in outscoring Valley Christian. I'll go with Serra since I picked them pre-season as my #1 team to win league this season. Serra minus -4 over VC.

Bellarmine is also sharply divided internally by the well-publicized National Anthem flap. The Bells are in some disarray right now.

Good analysis! I wish the game between SF and Serra had not been cancelled earlier in the season because that game result would go a long ways in predicting this match up between VC and Serra. Based on the production of both teams up to this point, I think this game goes according to VC's ability to defend against the pass. VC's secondary defense has not seen a lot of action this year. Manteca has been the best opponent for a passing assault and VC fared poorly in the first half against that type of offense. Serra will win, possibly big, using draws, screens and long passes mixed with an effective counterbalancing run game. And it will be a high scoring game. If, however, the Serra O-line cannot hold up well against the VC defense, it is going to be a long night for Bottari and VC will win in a low scoring game.

Last edited:
If the Crusaders keep within 2 scores of the Lancers the entire game, I would consider that an overall improvement in team play as the players coming off injury and transfer sit-out round into form. This should also put them in a better position for their game against the Irish. It's a huge task, but is the only way to validate any improvement in Riordan's play and outlook in finishing out the season and perhaps beyond.

[QUOTE="jordan24, post: 178017, member: 140"]If the Crusaders keep within 2 scores of the Lancers the entire game, I would consider that an overall improvement in team play as the players coming off injury and transfer sit-out round into form. This should also put them in a better position for their game against the Irish. It's a huge task, but is the only way to validate any improvement in Riordan's play and outlook in finishing out the season and perhaps beyond.[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with your assessment of the Crusader's situation going into this game Jordan.

Here's one way to look at it:

SF 35-0 over OakGrove
SF 40-6 over Palma
SF 42-21 over Mitty
SF 45-17 over SHC

So the Lancer's just took down Mitty by 3 TD's and then the Irish by 4 TD's while Riordan is a 39-point underdog of 6 scores in this upcoming game. The score itself should be some indication if the Crusader's will be up to the challenge of SHC upcoming for "King of Kezar". SHC's score was close to that of Mitty and why the Irish are actually a "pick 'em" favorite upcoming over the Bells. If the Crusader's AND coaches can design a game plan to hold down the Lancer scoring then that is good all the way around for Riordan. Pretty simple if your game plan is "hold em to 3, maybe 4 scores" and play keep away the best you can. One way Riordan's coaches can do this is by making good use of the clock [as well as playing for field position]. SF doesn't throw a lot, but will catch teams off balance with the occasional throw. Riordan's secondary should crowd the line to stop the run and use the safety deep to help prevent any long passes. Likely ARHS will have to concede the short passes to some degree to hold down the run. Not an easy chore by any means & I'm not making light of that fact. SF is solid and will take Riordan's best effort to stay anywhere close to this Lancer team. Lancer D will put big pressure on Riordan QB and coaches should prepare for that fact.

With the returning players - mostly linemen, the Crusaders showed a bit of the double wing against the Bells and used it against SI taking pressure off qb #2. Soph Jelani Clark was also put in the defensive backfield and made a pick of a Hail Mary to close the first half.

There is another 6'5 qb it the wings at SHC. Sophmore Ryan Daly. He was hurt in first game and just came back the last couple games. Very good athlete as he will be playing varsity basketball too. So well is not dry.

Confirmed with my assistant who told me about Ryan Banefield. She was at breakfast Sunday morning with a friend of Ryan's mom and the friend received a text from the mom while at breakfast.. She confirmed 4 "fractures" in upper back and surgery. And yes city I don't have training in the medical field. Again hoping for a speedy recovery for Ryan.
I agree this offense is definitely more interesting than what we've seen the last 25 years. The HB counter trap, HB power left, HB power right, and veer stuff is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. This spread passing attack won't last because Irons is 6'5 with an arm and is graduating. There is no one on the lower levels with his size and arm. We are used to the 5'10" QB that can do the hand-offs and throws the 10-15 yard wobblers.

The offense wouldve been more dynamic had Monroe played. I envisioned him being the WR in motion to be the option sweep. Defenses would have to account for him and the possibility of getting the ball on the option, Heard getting the handoff, or Irons delivering to the outside to Mitchell or Watkins, or over the middle to Orford. Talking about the possibilities really makes me sad. But you know what cures everything? We beat SI!!!!

Yes, I mentioned awhile ago if Byrce Monroe played he would be a real spark...I am hoping he does play next year...As RikiFran stated, there is a 6'5 QB waiting in the wings to be equivalent or possibly better...hopefully Irons takes him under his wing for a few practices and shows him some shortcuts. We are going to need this Daly kid to play some defense next year on the 2017 basketball season:)

[B said:
"jordan24,[/B] post: 178043, member: 140"]With the returning players - mostly linemen, the Crusaders showed a bit of the double wing against the Bells and used it against SI taking pressure off qb #2. Soph Jelani Clark was also put in the defensive backfield and made a pick of a Hail Mary to close the first half.

Against the Lancer defense the double-wing is not a bad idea jordan. Serra under Coach Walsh was the first team to use a variation of the double-wing offense with the lineman and RB's bunched very closely together. The Bells Janda liked it so much he copied it the following season and made it the mainstay of his offense for a number of years and is still using it. Serra not so much present-time, but instead Walsh uses a variety of formations to mix things up between pass and run formations. I think the double-wing or even a variation of the single-wing with an unbalanced line might throw the Lancer D off a bit [using something they have not seen or not used to defending].

Last edited:
Against the Lancer defense the double-wing is not a bad idea jordan. Serra under Coach Walsh was the first team to use a variation of the double-wing offense with the lineman and RB's bunched very closely together. The Bells Janda liked it so much he copied it and made it the mainstay of his offense for a number of years and is still using it. Serra not so much present-time, but instead Walsh uses a variety of formations to mix things up between pass and run formations. I think the double-wing or even a variation of the single-wing with an unbalanced line might throw the Lancer D off a bit [using something they have not seen or not used to defending].
The crucial game-tying TD against the 'Cats came out of that formation with RB Max Mezie leaking out to the end zone for a TD reception.
Coach Peralta went exclusively with the double wing during his tenure on Phelan Ave. and brought him a WCAL title. Of course he had some nice running back talent that included a sophomore, Eric Wright, (former USC/UNLV/NFL CB).

SHC "Irish" vs Bellarmine "Bells"

So not too much posting from Irish fans regarding their chances against the Bells. This is to date the biggest game of the season so far for SHC and has playoff implications as well. A win over the Bells would be the first in years, would greatly anhance the Irish hopes of a playoff berth and would move SHC from the lower tier into the middle of the WCAL league with Mitty & Riordan still to play. The game is at Kezar on "home turf" for the Irish and I would think coach McLaughlin & staff would pull out all the stops for this "pre-playoff" game. A win for the Irish over Bells gives them huge momentum going into those final 2 league games.

"Tale of the Tape"
Bells and Irish both 1-3 in WCAL [for season Bells 3-4 and Irish 4-3]

SHC averages 14.7 points in 4 WCAL games while Bells avg 9.5 [5.2 point differential]

SHC allows 36 points per game while Bells giving up 26 ppg [10 point differential]

Bells seem to have edge in +4.8 point differential overall

Common Opponents:

Serra defeated Bells 48-0 while SHC lost to Padres 51-21 [18 point differential in favor of SHC]

VC defeated Bells 28-10 while SHC lost to Warrior's by 35-0 [17 point differential in favor of Bells]

Overall SHC is a 1-point favorite in the game.

Conclusion: If there is a conclusion to be drawn from above its that this game is a toss up which I wouldn't want to bet the house on either way. The stats say SHC has a better offense with Irons passing and Heard running, though SHC was shutout against VC and the Bells were able to come away with 10 points. On the other game Serra shut out the Bells who could do nothing against the Serra defense. SHC scored 3 TD's against a good Serra D though 2 were off fumbles - one scooped and run for a long TD which prevented a Serra TD as well and then another fumble deep in Serra's red zone resulting in another SHC TD.
If the Bells come in flat again offensively then SHC can outscore them. Likely Coach Janda will try to pound the ball via the double-wing and go directly at the Irish. I think the special teams could be the difference maker in this game with a long return, fumbles or a missed extra point. It doesn't appear it will be a high scoring game, so any mistakes could be costly to either team.
Prediction: SHC 21-17 over Bells

Yes, I mentioned awhile ago if Byrce Monroe played he would be a real spark...I am hoping he does play next year...As RikiFran stated, there is a 6'5 QB waiting in the wings to be equivalent or possibly better...hopefully Irons takes him under his wing for a few practices and shows him some shortcuts. We are going to need this Daly kid to play some defense next year on the 2017 basketball season:)

If Daly is a Liam O'Reilly I will be a happy fan. If he is a Justin Pardini and rarely see any action then what can you do? I hope Monroe and Neal take their games up another level this year. Love seeing Emmett's leadership and heart show on the floor which was lacking the last 4 years.

I see that score reversed, not based on talent as you have assessed. I have always noticed SHC fans sound bit, as if Board noise affects their success. I think the payers are the same way, if during the game they start to feel more confident.... your prediction runs true.

I hope they play this for Coach Barry, he has turn this program around

So not too much posting from Irish fans regarding their chances against the Bells. This is to date the biggest game of the season so far for SHC and has playoff implications as well. A win over the Bells would be the first in years, would greatly anhance the Irish hopes of a playoff berth and would move SHC from the lower tier into the middle of the WCAL league with Mitty & Riordan still to play. The game is at Kezar on "home turf" for the Irish and I would think coach McLaughlin & staff would pull out all the stops for this "pre-playoff" game. A win for the Irish over Bells gives them huge momentum going into those final 2 league games.

"Tale of the Tape"
Bells and Irish both 1-3 in WCAL [for season Bells 3-4 and Irish 4-3]

SHC averages 14.7 points in 4 WCAL games while Bells avg 9.5 [5.2 point differential]

SHC allows 36 points per game while Bells giving up 26 ppg [10 point differential]

Bells seem to have edge in +4.8 point differential overall

Common Opponents:

Serra defeated Bells 48-0 while SHC lost to Padres 51-21 [18 point differential in favor of SHC]

VC defeated Bells 28-10 while SHC lost to Warrior's by 35-0 [17 point differential in favor of Bells]

Overall SHC is a 1-point favorite in the game.

Conclusion: If there is a conclusion to be drawn from above its that this game is a toss up which I wouldn't want to bet the house on either way. The stats say SHC has a better offense with Irons passing and Heard running, though SHC was shutout against VC and the Bells were able to come away with 10 points. On the other game Serra shut out the Bells who could do nothing against the Serra defense. SHC scored 3 TD's against a good Serra D though 2 were off fumbles - one scooped and run for a long TD which prevented a Serra TD as well and then another fumble deep in Serra's red zone resulting in another SHC TD.
If the Bells come in flat again offensively then SHC can outscore them. Likely Coach Janda will try to pound the ball via the double-wing and go directly at the Irish. I think the special teams could be the difference maker in this game with a long return, fumbles or a missed extra point. It doesn't appear it will be a high scoring game, so any mistakes could be costly to either team.

If Bellarmine is finally healthy (and the dispute over the National Anthem business is resolved), Bells are favored. But so much uncertainty pervades the lads from College Park, you have to wonder how much they have left in the tank.

So not too much posting from Irish fans regarding their chances against the Bells. This is to date the biggest game of the season so far for SHC and has playoff implications as well.

This Irish fan is being cautiously optimistic. Staking-out Kezar in an unmarked American-made car as I write. The game will be on The Cube.com. Maybe that (relatively) old dude will be out there with his Ireland flags again.

Unfortunately, the rest of the JV season is canceled, so I arrived at an empty stadium.
JV players have been called-up, so this may be a blessing in disguise. Senior Night too.

https://thecube.com/event/743521

Last edited:
Looking forward to what I hope is a close competitive game between Irish and Bells on TheCube - Thanks for the post Cheers, much appreciated.

This Irish fan is being cautiously optimistic. Staking-out Kezar in an unmarked American-made car as I write. The game will be on The Cube.com. Maybe that (relatively) old dude will be out there with his Ireland flags again.

Unfortunately, the rest of the JV season is canceled, so I arrived at an empty stadium.
JV players have been called-up, so this may be a blessing in disguise. Senior Night too.

https://thecube.com/event/743521
Why is the rest of the jv season canceled???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT