ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

Kindly disagree. A VC win would have made VC look better. Placing it on someone else to take care of your bunsiness (especially a league rival) just seems strange to me.

I know a new softer generation I just would never root on a league rival? Just seems lazy and coat tail riding. Put in your own hard work and do it yourse instead of letting someone else do the heavy lifting and then showing up for the camera op.
If you want to change history, you are right. A VC win would have made them look better. But I am speaking currently. VC currently has ZERO chance to win against Manteca this season. But SF does have that opportunity. You can frame your distaste for relative strength values any way you want. But the truth is there is a constant state of dynamic relative strength values simply because associative relationships are in a constant state of change.

If you want to change history, you are right. A VC win would have made them look better. But I am speaking currently. VC currently has ZERO chance to win against Manteca this season. But SF does have that opportunity. You can frame your distaste for relative strength values any way you want. But the truth is there is a constant state of dynamic relative strength values simply because associative relationships are in a constant state of change.

True but that does not change what happens when the games are actually played. Had VC won on the field versus Mateca I would say that would have helped their case much much, not third party comparative scores and guessing.

You’re right they have no chance of beating them this year, but they did have the opportunity and that’s the result which counts.

Reactions: JCBUST
Despite VC having lost the first game of the year by 2-points to Manteca, a 1rst game is nothing that you can base end of season results on [look at Serra 2 seasons in a row]. Looking at the progression of teams I have SF in tonites game and think SF would also take down VC in a rematch [of which there is no possibility 'til next season of course].

St. Francis putting heavy pressure on Manteca QB Campiotti. While Manteca scored first with field goal SF marched right down the field to take the lead on their first possession 7-3.
Manteca now 3 & out after not gaining a yard on that series. SF's D-End All American Tyler Manoa 6'5-285 looks like he isn't even being blocked going after the Manteca QB.
SF's Darrell Page just breaks his 2nd long run for 50 yard TD to make it 14-3.
If this keeps up SF could end up mauling Manteca despite them having won over VC in season opener.

SF 14-10 over Manteca at 1/2. SF shooting themselves in foot with penalties and mistakes.
Numerous penalties and Reed Vettel has thrown 2 INT's, of which the 2nd was ugly - thrown right to the DB[?]. [Vettell only had 3 INT' l season prior to this game]. SF had 1rst & goal in the red zone with 40 secs left in 1/2. First motion penalty against Page and then Vettel simply threw to the wrong player on Defense. 2nd 1/2 will be interesting...

SF 28-17 into 4th and the difference in game is SF's Darrell Page the WCAL's leading RB.
Teams playing evenly after 1rst quarter, but just enough times SF's Page breaks loose on a long run and 3 of them tonite. Most notable adjustment is on Manteca's O-line which has blocked SF's D and given Manteca QB Campiotti great protection since late 1rst quarter. SF had one of the best D-lines I've seen this season and Manteca has handled them very well.

Reactions: jordan24
So Serra rolls & SF survives a tough Manteca team.

Looking at Cajon 14-1 that Serra will face looks to be an uphill battle for the Padres. Serra will need to play a complete game with no mistakes such as fumbling in their own end zone or allowing Kick-off or punt returns for TD's. Srra moves up to #20 in state while Cajon is at #13. Cajon is a scoring machine much like Tulare Union only much better on both sides of the ball.

St. Francis who moves up to #38 in CA will move on to play Grace Brethren 13-2 of Simi Valley #36 in CA.

At initial glance of the 2 games the Lancers' may have a better shot at a state title win. SF & Grace Brethren appear evenly matched while Cajon will be a clear favorite over the Padres.

More to follow...

Reactions: jordan24
Just noodling around the internet and stumbled on a site called Calhipreps. Here are their State projects for Serra and SF:

BOWL 2-AA
Serra (San Mateo, CA) vs. Cajon (San Bernardino, CA) at Sacramento State U. (Sacramento, CA), 4:00pm [projection: Serra [Junipero] (San Mateo, CA) 38-35]

Saturday, December 16th

BOWL 2-A
St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) vs. Grace Brethren (Simi Valley, CA) at Sacramento State U. (Sacramento, CA), 12:00pm [projection: St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) 31-22]

Just noodling around the internet and stumbled on a site called Calhipreps. Here are their State projects for Serra and SF:

BOWL 2-AA
Serra (San Mateo, CA) vs. Cajon (San Bernardino, CA) at Sacramento State U. (Sacramento, CA), 4:00pm [projection: Serra [Junipero] (San Mateo, CA) 38-35]

Saturday, December 16th

BOWL 2-A
St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) vs. Grace Brethren (Simi Valley, CA) at Sacramento State U. (Sacramento, CA), 12:00pm [projection: St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) 31-22]

Calhipreps? Never heard of it and couldn't find it. Your copy, though, appears to be a match for calpreps.com - a website of common fodder here.

Upcoming Games: Serra vs Cajon & St. Francis vs Grace Brethren

The projections are out and SF and Serra are both slight favorites. I'd already reviewed some of the other teams info and stated it looks on paper that SF will be favored and that Cajon will likely be the favorite vs Serra. Not so say the computers, so not sure what I've missed so far.
SF is a +9 favorite and Serra a +3. In last weeks games bot SF and Serra were similar favorites by somewhat small margins with Serra winning big and SF holding off Manteca.

I think the only norcal team not favored is DLS which is a change. Maybe 1 or 2 other socal teams are favored if projections adjusted from a couple days ago.. Will be an interesting test of Calpreps

Serra vs Cajon of the SoCal "Citrus League"

Tale of the Tape by Numbers:

I've been looking at info on Cajon and as a Serra/WCAL fan this game concerns me. Cajon is #13 in state and Serra has risen to #20 - getting into very lofty company in those spots.
I'm somewhat comfortable with St. Francis going into their game this weekend as I think they match up well with Grace Brethren. Serra on the other hand I'm not sure matches up well with this Cajon team. Cajon reminds me a lot of Pittsburg, only better. Both Pitt and Cajon have excellent athlete QB's who can not only throw, but are quick and excellent scramblers. The Pitt QB burned Serra repeatedly in their game and this Cajon QB has the same ability. Cajon at 14-1 has a slight rating difference in their favor while Serra has a slight advantage in "SOS". Only problem is the schedules are not too different and Cajon has a couple very weak opponents who lowered their "SOS" number. Cajon appears to have peaked at the right time and crushed all 3 good opponents they faced in their sectional playoffs, which overall were stronger than Mitty, VC and SF that Serra faced. In those 3 games Cajon won by large margins with the largest margin in their sectional title game over the best opponent they faced [similar rating to St. Francis] and Cajon won by 70-23 [which had a higher rating that Tulare Union that Serra beat by 76-43].
So this will all come down to how the 2 teams match up as do most games. Since I do not know Cajon intimately I will hope that the coach Walsh staff can out-coach them and have drawn up the "unexpected" for the "Cowboys" from San Bernardino.

Points Per Game over Season: Cajon 48.9 - Serra 42.4
Points Allowed Per Game over Season: Cajon 18.9 - Serra 19.6
Cajon 321 yards passing & 183 rushing per game = 504 yards offense per game average
Cajon for season = 107 TD's
QB Jayden Daniels = 143 QB Rating [sky high]
QB Jayden Daniels rushed for 1216 yards and 14 TD's for a 7.1 APC.
RB Joseph Yarber is a compact speedy RB who rushed for 961 yards & 10 TD's.
WR Darren Jones 6'8-190 a pass catching machine, 92 receptions for 1962 yards, 27 TD's.
WR Tre Noriega 5'9-170 added 64 catches for 1030 yards & 10 TD's.
WR Omar Perkins 5'8-170 added 79 catches for 827 yards & 8 TD's.

Serra has got speed and it appears Cajon has speed and then some. The 2 things of which Serra must accomplish 1 of the 2 to win. #1 Serra must at all costs contain QB Jayden Daniels and place a "spy" on him throughout this game. If Daniels is allowed to scramble at will for first downs and long gains Cajon will simply wear Serra down - this is KEY to this game. Serra can score, but if their offense is sitting on the bench that point will become mute.
#2 Serra must have double coverage help as needed on Darren Jones the 6'8 junior basketball player WR who averages 130 yards/2-TD's per game with a ridiculous 21 YPC avg. Not sure who is assigned to cover a 6'8 WR, while Serra's best DB's/SS are all listed at 5'11 Serra may consider one of their back-up DB's who are 6'0-6'1 as added help in passing situations. A tough puzzle to solve when the opponent Cajon apears to have more offensive options than Serra. The Cajon QB is a master at scrambling, they have a small scat-back RB who contributed nearly 1000 yards and 4 different WR's with the 6'8 main weapon and then 3 other speedy receivers who contributed another almost 200 receptions for an additional 20 TD's.
The numbers are simply mind boggling and I'm not confidant that Serra can slow down this offensive machine enough to win. To remind you this team is not Tulare Union - not even close. While the computers have Serra by 3 I am looking at Cajon by 12+.
Hopefully I am wrong...

Serra vs Cajon of the SoCal "Citrus League"

Tale of the Tape by Numbers:

I've been looking at info on Cajon and as a Serra/WCAL fan this game concerns me. Cajon is #13 in state and Serra has risen to #20 - getting into very lofty company in those spots.
I'm somewhat comfortable with St. Francis going into their game this weekend as I think they match up well with Grace Brethren. Serra on the other hand I'm not sure matches up well with this Cajon team. Cajon reminds me a lot of Pittsburg, only better. Both Pitt and Cajon have excellent athlete QB's who can not only throw, but are quick and excellent scramblers. The Pitt QB burned Serra repeatedly in their game and this Cajon QB has the same ability. Cajon at 14-1 has a slight rating difference in their favor while Serra has a slight advantage in "SOS". Only problem is the schedules are not too different and Cajon has a couple very weak opponents who lowered their "SOS" number. Cajon appears to have peaked at the right time and crushed all 3 good opponents they faced in their sectional playoffs, which overall were stronger than Mitty, VC and SF that Serra faced. In those 3 games Cajon won by large margins with the largest margin in their sectional title game over the best opponent they faced [similar rating to St. Francis] and Cajon won by 70-23 [which had a higher rating that Tulare Union that Serra beat by 76-43].
So this will all come down to how the 2 teams match up as do most games. Since I do not know Cajon intimately I will hope that the coach Walsh staff can out-coach them and have drawn up the "unexpected" for the "Cowboys" from San Bernardino.

Points Per Game over Season: Cajon 48.9 - Serra 42.4
Points Allowed Per Game over Season: Cajon 18.9 - Serra 19.6
Cajon 321 yards passing & 183 rushing per game = 504 yards offense per game average
Cajon for season = 107 TD's
QB Jayden Daniels = 143 QB Rating [sky high]
QB Jayden Daniels rushed for 1216 yards and 14 TD's for a 7.1 APC.
RB Joseph Yarber is a compact speedy RB who rushed for 961 yards & 10 TD's.
WR Darren Jones 6'8-190 a pass catching machine, 92 receptions for 1962 yards, 27 TD's.
WR Tre Noriega 5'9-170 added 64 catches for 1030 yards & 10 TD's.
WR Omar Perkins 5'8-170 added 79 catches for 827 yards & 8 TD's.

Serra has got speed and it appears Cajon has speed and then some. The 2 things of which Serra must accomplish 1 of the 2 to win. #1 Serra must at all costs contain QB Jayden Daniels and place a "spy" on him throughout this game. If Daniels is allowed to scramble at will for first downs and long gains Cajon will simply wear Serra down - this is KEY to this game. Serra can score, but if their offense is sitting on the bench that point will become mute.
#2 Serra must have double coverage help as needed on Darren Jones the 6'8 junior basketball player WR who averages 130 yards/2-TD's per game with a ridiculous 21 YPC avg. Not sure who is assigned to cover a 6'8 WR, while Serra's best DB's/SS are all listed at 5'11 Serra may consider one of their back-up DB's who are 6'0-6'1 as added help in passing situations. A tough puzzle to solve when the opponent Cajon apears to have more offensive options than Serra. The Cajon QB is a master at scrambling, they have a small scat-back RB who contributed nearly 1000 yards and 4 different WR's with the 6'8 main weapon and then 3 other speedy receivers who contributed another almost 200 receptions for an additional 20 TD's.
The numbers are simply mind boggling and I'm not confidant that Serra can slow down this offensive machine enough to win. To remind you this team is not Tulare Union - not even close. While the computers have Serra by 3 I am looking at Cajon by 12+.
Hopefully I am wrong...
Excellent analysis. I also have my doubts about how well Serra can defend against Cajon.

Cajon also has a D-lineman who has 30 sacks....yes I said 30.6’5 Jeremiah Martin

Cal-Hi Sports CCS Co-Offensive Players of the Year: "Atonio Mafi and Luke Bottari" of Serra

Serra High's 2-way lineman Mafi headed to Cal & the junior QB Bottari who lead the WCAL in passing by a wide margin.

I have Xfinity and Serra-Cajon game is on NSBA Channel 696 on my system at 4 PM followed by Folsom-Helix at 8 PM.

L A times:

Division 2-AA: San Bernardino Cajon (14-1) vs. San Mateo Serra (12-2), 4 p.m. This is going to be like a video game with nonstop scoring. Serra scored 76 points last week. Cajon had 70 points. Cajon junior quarterback Jayden Daniels leads the nation in passing with 4,795 yards and 61 touchdowns. Darren Jones is nearing 2,000 yards receiving and has 27 touchdowns. Jeremiah Martin has 30 sacks. Isiah Kendrick leads Serra with 1,520 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Everyone is talking about the combined 146 points by the 2 teams last week and not too much about their D's, except for the big-time sack leader for Cajon, Martin. Serra had the best D in the WCAL, but then again this isn't a WCAL team they're facing [anything but]. As stated previously Serra's #1 concern will be containment of Jayden Daniels which is an enormous challenge. He will be the best scrambling/running QB they've faced since Pitt's QB in the 3rd game of season and we know how that ended - the elusive Pitt QB constantly ran for first downs and long gains when pressured. A shame Serra lost their best 2-way lineman Mafi to injury early in playoffs.
I'm hoping Serra's run game can produce against this Cajon team.

So far Serra is representing the WCAL very well against the highest scoring team in the state [and without the WCAL's MVP Nio Mafi].

Serra State Champs 38-14 over Cajon

Looking at CalPreps this morning Serra leapfrogged up to #8 in CA with an overall rating of 64.6. Should #10 Pitt win over Narbonne #14 that will likely help Serra's rating further. St. Francis #33 plays Grace Brethren #38 at 12:00 Noon today [channel 696 NSBA] and if Lancer's win SF will move up and also helps Serra's rating as well.

Other teams rankings for CA as of this morning:
Oak Ridge #25
St. Mary's #26
Granite Bay #27
SRV #36
Half Moon Bay #43 faces Steele Canyon #62
Valley Christian #48 [to bad VC could not have made into playoffs having lost to Serra twice as did St. Francis].

Serra holds Cajon the top scoring team in CA to 14 points. Cajon was averaging 49 points per game and their previous low for the season was 33 points - unbelievable job by an injury plagued Serra defense. I also heard a Serra player was ineligible for "targeting" in a previous post season game - first I'd heard of that yesterday by announcer - anyone know any more about it? How serious an infraction would it have to be for a ref to remove a player from the playoffs? Anyone else ever hear of this?
Among the many records Serra set this season was the 12-consecutive wins in a season, a record that is likely safe for a long time to come.

Any player ejected for any reason in a playoff game is ineligible for the remainder of the playoffs. Doesn’t matter the severity of the action. St. Francis I believe has a similar issue because a player was ejected for taunting earlier in the playoffs.

Looking at CalPreps this morning Serra leapfrogged up to #8 in CA with an overall rating of 64.6. Should #10 Pitt win over Narbonne #14 that will likely help Serra's rating further. St. Francis #33 plays Grace Brethren #38 at 12:00 Noon today [channel 696 NSBA] and if Lancer's win SF will move up and also helps Serra's rating as well.

Oak Ridge #25
St. Mary's #26
Granite Bay #27
SRV #36
Valley Christian #48 [to bad VC could not have made into playoffs having lost to Serra twice as did St. Francis].

Serra holds Cajon the top scoring team in CA to 14 points. Cajon was averaging 49 points per game and their previous low for the season was 33 points - unbelievable job by an injury plagued Serra defense. I also heard a Serra player was ineligible for "targeting" in a previous post season game - first I'd heard of that yesterday by announcer - anyone know any more about it? How serious an infraction would it have to be for a ref to remove a player from the playoffs? Anyone else ever hear of this?
Among the many records Serra set this season was the 12-consecutive wins in a season, a record that is likely safe for a long time to come.

Any player ejected for any reason in a playoff game is ineligible for the remainder of the playoffs. Doesn’t matter the severity of the action. St. Francis I believe has a similar issue because a player was ejected for taunting earlier in the playoffs.
Who was the player who got ejected from Serra?

WCAL 2-0 for State Titles in 2017! Down year? I guess we can argue Serra lost to Pitt or may have been in 1-A or even had a chance to play Folsom in 1-AA regional (with supposedly tougher competition) but I still say impressive showing by these 2 WCAL schools. Tough league for sure and I bet this will garner more deserved attention. Congrats to both schools.

Reactions: Rmbr26
After yesterday's games here are the Top 10 rated NorCal teams in CA for the 2017 season:

#3 Folsom 16-0 [rating 73.8]
#5 DLS 11-2 [70.8]
#8 Serra 13-2 [65.2]
#14 Pitt 9-3 [60.7]
#25 St. Mary's 11-3 [53.8]
#26 Oak Ridge 11-2 [53.6]
#31 Granite Bay 12-3 [52.1]
#32 St. Francis 11-4 [51.7]
#34 Jesuit 10-3 [50.5]
#36 Liberty 11-2 [48.0]

2017 State Bowl Games Final Scores:
Folsom 49-24 over Helix
DLS loses 52-21 to Mater Dei
Serra 38-14 over Cajon
Pitt loses 28-21 to Narbonne [Pitt lead early in game by 21-0]
St. Francis 22-13 over Grace Brethren
Half Moon Bay loses 44-42 to Steele Canyon
Milpitas 45-41 over Southwest

NorCal 4 of 7 State Champs

Oak Ridge #25
St. Mary's #26
Granite Bay #27
SRV #36

After yesterday's games here are the Top 10 rated NorCal teams in CA for the 2017 season:

#3 Folsom 16-0 [rating 73.8]
#5 DLS 11-2 [70.8]
#8 Serra 13-2 [65.2]
#14 Pitt 9-3 [60.7]
#25 St. Mary's 11-3 [53.8]
#26 Oak Ridge 11-2 [53.6]
#31 Granite Bay 12-3 [52.1]
#32 St. Francis 11-4 [51.7]
#34 Jesuit 10-3 [50.5]
#36 Liberty 11-2 [48.0]

2017 State Bowl Games Final Scores:
Folsom 49-24 over Helix
DLS loses 52-21 to Mater Dei
Serra 38-14 over Cajon
Pitt loses 28-21 to Narbonne [Pitt lead early in game by 21-0]
St. Francis 22-13 over Grace Brethren
Half Moon Bay loses 44-42 to Steele Canyon
Milpitas 45-41 over Southwest

NorCal 4 of 7 State Champs

Weren't there more games than the listed seven?

Yes there were more than the 7 games - I listed these that included the top rated Norcal teams.
I knew these off the top of my head and can't remember who the remaining teams were.
Let me take a look..

Other state bowl final results:

Div 3AA: Bishop Diego over Shasta/NorCal 41-6

Div 4AA: Crenshaw 46-43 over Placer/NorCal

Div 5A: Fortuna 54-33 over Katella/SoCal

Div 5AA: McClymonds 42-12 over Golden West/SoCal

Div 6A: Galileo 38-20 over Vincent Memorial/SoCal

Div 6AA: Stathmore 31-29 over Orange/SoCal

Total State Bowl Games = 13
NorCal comes out on top with 8-5 wins over SoCal

Lots of posts and debates on games, but the one clear opinion I'm seeing is that Serra's win was the most dramatic of the NorCal wins, winning 38-14 over the state highest scoring team Cajon.

With Serra & St. Francis winning 2A & 2AA state titles has me wondering if any other league has 2 titles in one season? Anyone know offhand?

Other state bowl final results:

Div 3AA: Bishop Diego over Shasta/NorCal 41-6

Div 4AA: Crenshaw 46-43 over Placer/NorCal

Div 5A: Fortuna 54-33 over Katella/SoCal

Div 5AA: McClymonds 42-12 over Golden West/SoCal

Div 6A: Galileo 38-20 over Vincent Memorial/SoCal

Div 6AA: Stathmore 31-29 over Orange/SoCal

Total State Bowl Games = 13
NorCal comes out on top with 8-5 wins over SoCal

Got it.

One semi-final observation re Serra vs. Cajon: Minus its two huge run-stopping poly-pillars along the defensive line due to injuries, the Padres went small and fast and simply bamboozled and totally flummoxed the ultra-high-scoring Cajon offense. It was a sight to see. A gaggle of wild Munchkin-esque youngsters flying around and laying waste to the much bigger and confused opponent in their biggest game of the year. Major kudos to the Serra coaching staff for making adjustments and making the most of their personnel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmbr26 and bella123
One semi-final observation re Serra vs. Cajon: Minus its two huge run-stopping poly-pillars along the defensive line due to injuries, the Padres went small and fast and simply bamboozled and totally flummoxed the ultra-high-scoring Cajon offense. It was a sight to see. A gaggle of wild Munchkin-esque youngsters flying around and laying waste to the much bigger and confused opponent in their biggest game of the year. Major kudos to the Serra coaching staff for making adjustments and making the most of their personnel.

Great observation colhenry. In talking with several other fans we discussed the injuries and ineligible player and I am still amazed at how the Padres shut down the high scoring "Cowboys".
To me looking at the D early on in the game I thought they were in deep against Cajon. According to your post part of the decision was to go "smaller/faster" and if that is the case then whomever coach drew that up is a genius. We all know that often smaller/faster can get "run-over faster" more often than not. Whatever changes and how they were decided worked to perfection for Serra as it simply appeared on paper that Cajon had the superior athletes. In the end as with most of the season however Serra performed and functioned better "as a unit" than their opponent - a true testament of both their coaching and team brotherhood. Amazing win.

Great observation colhenry. In talking with several other fans we discussed the injuries and ineligible player and I am still amazed at how the Padres shut down the high scoring "Cowboys".
To me looking at the D early on in the game I thought they were in deep against Cajon. According to your post part of the decision was to go "smaller/faster" and if that is the case then whomever coach drew that up is a genius. We all know that often smaller/faster can get "run-over faster" more often than not. Whatever changes and how they were decided worked to perfection for Serra as it simply appeared on paper that Cajon had the superior athletes. In the end as with most of the season however Serra performed and functioned better "as a unit" than their opponent - a true testament of both their coaching and team brotherhood. Amazing win.

And Cajon still gained about 500 yards of total offense. Bend but don't break. That's the mantra.

Hey, lest we just take the Rambling Man's yearly WCAL football efforts for granted, let's hand him some well-deserved kudos. At last check, this popular thread has well over 73,000 views. Nothing else on the site is remotely close to that figure, unless I'm mis-reading the viewing history. This guy deserves a finder's fee for crying out loud.

Hey, lest we just take the Rambling Man's yearly WCAL football efforts for granted, let's hand him some well-deserved kudos. At last check, this popular thread has well over 73,000 views. Nothing else on the site is remotely close to that figure, unless I'm mis-reading the viewing history. This guy deserves a finder's fee for crying out loud.
Ditto Kudos!!!!

Reactions: Rmbr26
By halfway thru state title game Serra was minus at least four starters -- UCLA signee and WCAL player of year Mafi, playmaking sophomore DB Sanchez, DL Redmond and massive offensive lineman hurt against Cajon whose name escapes me (last name begins with a T). Padre depth, conditioning and game-planning paid off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT