ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2017: Sports Stars Magazine write up of Serra's State Bowl Win

Shocking that game I just watched had Salinas upsetting unbeaten Milpitas who was 12-0 & in some polls ranked higher than VC or SF. Shocking as Milpitas shut-out Salinas 27-0 in regular season losing tonite by 25-18 to the Salinas Cowboys. Milpitas looked flat & Salinas def looked like they came to play.

Hope both Serra & HMB read this post...
They should.

If Terra Nova defeats HMB, I think SF is out of regionals unless they defeat Serra. If SF wins both SF and Serra are in regionals. HMB wins and SF is in no matter what. Terra Nova has to win to make regionals.

Thanks for clarification as I knew Serra was in win or lose & also SF, but didn't realize if HMB stumbles then SF may be out.
HMB-Terra Nova should be interesting despite first game when TN was missing some players. Also knowing TN beat Salinas who last night shocked Milpitas is eye-opening knowing that Terra Nova should not be taken lightly by HMB.

Historic season for Padres. With tonight's 31-30 win, they went 10-0 vs. WCAL foes for first time ever. They also beat St. Francis, a longtime nemesis in the past, four times in 14 months. That's never happened to the Lancers before. Kudos to the SF coaching staff for going for the win rather than risking an overtime test against a Serra offense that has set all-time school and WCAL records this year.

Historic season for Padres. With tonight's 31-30 win, they went 10-0 vs. WCAL foes for first time ever. They also beat St. Francis, a longtime nemesis in the past, four times in 14 months. That's never happened to the Lancers before. Kudos to the SF coaching staff for going for the win rather than risking an overtime test against a Serra offense that has set all-time school and WCAL records this year.
Calcagno had all the momentum in the game and goes for 2 with a play action pass against an aggressive blitzing defense. Reminds me of SF play calling in the 80's/90's. SF has better athletes, Serra better coaching...end of story! Wish both teams luck at regionals.

Well the game lived up to the hype and was a nail-biter down to the finish. Closer than the first game Serra was barely able to hold on for the win. Darrel Page looked unstoppable at times. Hendricks for Serra is very good and excellent out of the backfield on pass routes along with Charlie Bostic from VC, however Page from SF looks to be at another level [I wish I could have seen the SF-VC game to see them both in same game].

To me SF had the momentum in the 4th quarter and I had no issue with the Lancer's going for the 2-point conversion. SF outscored Serra 16-10 in the 2nd 1/2 and 13-0 in the 4th quarter "crunch time". I didn't think it was the right decision at the time and still think the PAT for tie was the best decision. The reason being the game would have likely gone to O/T & I don't think Serra could have stopped SF in a 4-down situation from the 10-yard line - Serra was looking gassed in that 4th quarter. I would had favored the Lancer's in an O/T period. As for the 2-point conversion the Lancer's were using a "hurry-up" offense late in the game trying to catch Serra off guard so to speak, causing Serra to call a time-out at one point. During the rush for the 2-point conversion it appeared the Lancer's hurried the play and Vettel slightly over threw the receiver - the game on the line and everyone simply didn't appear ready to execute the play properly IMO. Those penalties certainly hurt the Lancers' and one penalty wiped out a Serra TD to Nunn on a hold. Serra was hurt a bit by SF's WR's height advantage as Vettel lofted several passes where the WR's simple won the jump ball over Serra's DB's. A very hard fought game that could have gone either way, but ends as a "win" for Serra. Also glad the Lancers are able to go forward and their season didn't end last night.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/...t-francis-rally-to-repeat-as-open-d-ii-champ/
  • serravssf-ta-photo19.jpg
  • photo courtesy BANG

Serra moves on to regionals against 13-0 Tulare Union & St. Francis will face 12-2 Manteca

11-2 Serra #28 in state & 13-0 Tulare Union #33 will square off against each other in D-IIAA while 9-4 St. Francis #61 will take on 12-2 Manteca #43 in DIIA. Tulare Union and Serra have similar ratings although Tulare Union's strength of schedule has already been brought into question and Serra will def be the favorite coming into this game. While TU's record has been a bit softer than Serra's they are still 13-0 and a scoring machine that puts up 50-60 points on a regular basis. TU from reading about them has superb skill players and this team is considered the best to ever come out of their school. Likewise Serra setting a school and WCAL for points scored in a season is no slouch themselves.
SF will face a very tough Manteca team that won over Valley Christian 22-20 to open the season and has only the 2 losses, a loss to Oakdale which they avenged in the playoffs and to highly ranked Central Catholic.

Next: Team profiles on both Tulare Union & Manteca

[QUOTE="Streak One, post: 183220, member: 268"]WCAL All-League team - http://wcalsports.org/docs/allleague/2017 FB All League.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thanks Streak - at some point hopefully the league will reduce the number of selections per team and simply vote on the best player at each position with 1@ 1rst team & 2nd team + kicker + Utility Player = 46 players. I would have no problem as well with Honorable mention of a player at each position [so another 22 players]. That would be more than enough at 68 players total rather than the current system of approx. 100 players in a 8-team league [once again we have 5 QB's on the First Team All League list.. :confused:

Just where is Tulare anyway? Had to look up myself as saw it is Visalia and 60-miles from Bakersfield. a 4-hour drive from San Mateo. It's near Visalia and 60 miles from Bakersfield. St. Francis on the other hand has a 2-hour bus ride to Manteca.
Both will be equally long rides homes should the teams not come out on top.

Serra moves on to regionals against 13-0 Tulare Union & St. Francis will face 12-2 Manteca

11-2 Serra #28 in state & 13-0 Tulare Union #33 will square off against each other in D-IIAA while 9-4 St. Francis #61 will take on 12-2 Manteca #43 in DIIA. Tulare Union and Serra have similar ratings although Tulare Union's strength of schedule has already been brought into question and Serra will def be the favorite coming into this game. While TU's record has been a bit softer than Serra's they are still 13-0 and a scoring machine that puts up 50-60 points on a regular basis. TU from reading about them has superb skill players and this team is considered the best to ever come out of their school. Likewise Serra setting a school and WCAL for points scored in a season is no slouch themselves.
SF will face a very tough Manteca team that won over Valley Christian 22-20 to open the season and has only the 2 losses, a loss to Oakdale which they avenged in the playoffs and to highly ranked Central Catholic.

I will be rooting for Serra, but I hope SF gets their clocks cleaned.

Wow, salty!

I always root for WCAL teams in the Regionals, I was even rooting for the Bells and I'm an SF dude!
He's mad because SF got the #3 seed over VC in CCS. This meant VC had to play on Serra's side of the bracket in the semis, with no chance for Regional Bowl game. Kinda like what happened to SF last year.

Reactions: Adam007
It's the "War and Peace" of prep football all-league lists. But where's the Statistician of the Year? I nominate the Riordan guy. By far the best in his field. Accurate. Prompt. Fair. Balanced. Comprehensive.

Reactions: CityVibesII
Just WHO is TULARE UNON & WHY is Serra supposedly favored?

Looking up the information that is available on T.U. it is both eye-opening and mind boggling.
In short Tulare Union is a "scoring machine". Yes I've looked at their schedule which is a bit weak compared to Serra's,however there is no denying the numbers & stats I'm looking at.
Similar to Half Moon Bay the Tulare "TRIBE" has blown out almost every opponent and not really been tested. The answer to their schedule being weaker is: "nobody really knows how good T.U. is much like HMB and this weekend we'll find out.
Here's some eye-opening facts about the team Serra will face:

* T.U. QB Nathan Lamb 6'3-180 completes 67%, has thrown for over 3600 yards for 37 TD's and only 2 INT's [Huh??].
* T.U.'s All_everything RB/WR Kasmeir Allen - [remember the name] has rushed for almost 3,000 yards with 60 TD's and 13 YPC Avg [Huh again??].
* Kasmeir Allen is also the 2nd leading WR for another 9 TD's.
* T.U.'s other 2 WR's have 100 catches for 2000 yards + 19 TD's.
* T.U. Defense has 4 outstanding tacklers: Dailey -SS, Hernandez - FS, Jordan - CB, Nunley - LB who accounted for 325 tackles between them.

In Perspective:
* Serra averaged 15points less per game offense.
* Serra averaged about the same on defense for season per game.
* Serra averaged 250 yards less per game on offense.
* Kendricks of Serra has less than 1/2 the yards rushing and approx. 1/3 the number of TD's of T.U. Kasmeir.
* Serra's Nunn would tie for 2nd leading WR on T.U.
* Serra's Bottari for season rated at 120 QB while T.U.'s Lamb is 146 rating.
* Bottari threw for 22 TD's & Lamb for 37 TD's.
* Bottari threw 7 INT's and Lamb had 2 INT's.

So strength of schedule is def in favor of Serra while stats all the way across the board favor Tulare Union. So how are some fans posting that Serra will win by 2-3 TD's?
That's a very good question for which I have no answer.
SF's Darrell Page the WCAL's leading RB had good games both times against Serra. This Tulare Union RB Kasmeir Allen has national numbers that are miles beyond Darrell Page in both rushing & receiving.
So this game has the appearance of a shoot-out of which team can slow down the other offense. Both teams can without a doubt score, but which teams defense will be up to the task? Serra without Mafi may well have their hands full...

Reactions: FBAddict
where's the Statistician of the Year? I nominate the Riordan guy. By far the best in his field. Accurate. Prompt. Fair. Balanced. Comprehensive.
I remember in the 80's when the Peninsula Times Tribune took stats and listed the top offensive players in each sport in their large high school section every week. From football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. It was cool. I saw my name in there first couple of weeks but it disappeared permanently when the real athletes started to pour it on. :)

I will be rooting for Serra, but I hope SF gets their clocks cleaned.
A SF win, especially a big one, will make VC and WCAL look better. VC was not prepared in their first game for a better prepared team. Nonetheless, VC shut out Manteca in the second half and lost by a missed field goal. VC looked strong in their win over SF. So VC should be routing for a SF win!

Just WHO is TULARE UNON & WHY is Serra supposedly favored?

Looking up the information that is available on T.U. it is both eye-opening and mind boggling.
In short Tulare Union is a "scoring machine". Yes I've looked at their schedule which is a bit weak compared to Serra's,however there is no denying the numbers & stats I'm looking at.
Similar to Half Moon Bay the Tulare "TRIBE" has blown out almost every opponent and not really been tested. The answer to their schedule being weaker is: "nobody really knows how good T.U. is much like HMB and this weekend we'll find out.
Here's some eye-opening facts about the team Serra will face:

* T.U. QB Nathan Lamb 6'3-180 completes 67%, has thrown for over 3600 yards for 37 TD's and only 2 INT's [Huh??].
* T.U.'s All_everything RB/WR Kasmeir Allen - [remember the name] has rushed for almost 3,000 yards with 60 TD's and 13 YPC Avg [Huh again??].
* Kasmeir Allen is also the 2nd leading WR for another 9 TD's.
* T.U.'s other 2 WR's have 100 catches for 2000 yards + 19 TD's.
* T.U. Defense has 4 outstanding tacklers: Dailey -SS, Hernandez - FS, Jordan - CB, Nunley - LB who accounted for 325 tackles between them.

In Perspective:
* Serra averaged 15points less per game offense.
* Serra averaged about the same on defense for season per game.
* Serra averaged 250 yards less per game on offense.
* Kendricks of Serra has less than 1/2 the yards rushing and approx. 1/3 the number of TD's of T.U. Kasmeir.
* Serra's Nunn would tie for 2nd leading WR on T.U.
* Serra's Bottari for season rated at 120 QB while T.U.'s Lamb is 146 rating.
* Bottari threw for 22 TD's & Lamb for 37 TD's.
* Bottari threw 7 INT's and Lamb had 2 INT's.

So strength of schedule is def in favor of Serra while stats all the way across the board favor Tulare Union. So how are some fans posting that Serra will win by 2-3 TD's?
That's a very good question for which I have no answer.
SF's Darrell Page the WCAL's leading RB had good games both times against Serra. This Tulare Union RB Kasmeir Allen has national numbers that are miles beyond Darrell Page in both rushing & receiving.
So this game has the appearance of a shoot-out of which team can slow down the other offense. Both teams can without a doubt score, but which teams defense will be up to the task? Serra without Mafi may well have their hands full...
How can you compare stats of a team who plays Elite level competition to a team "Gonna Get Beat" competition. A League and B/C League competition are not comparable. TU fans need to arrive during warm ups, that's as close as it will be.

St. Francis 9-4 vs Manteca 12-2

This game looks to be a toss-up as the teams look to be dead-even in many respects.

So tidbits on Manteca:
* Solid deep roster with numerous skill players who can contribute.
* QB Gino Campiotti completes 64%, 30-TD's, QB rating 124.9 [good].
* #1 RB is Russell and #2 is Frisby.
* Use 4 WR's much like Serra in Cedano, Dejesus, Keltner, Williams. Cedano & Dejesus are possession receivers and Keltner & Williams are the 2 deep threats with 15 TD's between them.
* Kyle Reis 6'3 - 280 is their best lineman on both sides of the ball.
* Top defensive player is Ferrin Manulelua 6'0-220 LB.
* Other top D players are Rachels, Dozier, Ramsey, Kakala.
* SF has a slight edge in rushing simply in part due to Darrell Page.
* Manteca has the edge in passing with 4 capable WR's.
* SF has Evan Williams as best pass threat and a threat on D as well for INT's.
* Manteca is rated slightly higher than SF, but with weaker strength of schedule.
* Of Manteca's 2 losses, one was to a very good Oakdale team which Manteca then beat last week reversing the score of the earlier game 34-17.
* Manteca coming off by far its biggest won of season over Oakdale.
* SF coming off a heart-breaking 1-point loss 31-30 to Serra.
* Manteca'a only other loss to Folsom in a competitive game.
* SF losses to VC, 2 to Serra and to DLS.
* Manteca won over Valley Christian 22-20 in opening game of season.

Conclusion: 2 very evenly matched teams with Manteca having a slight edge on offense and SF having the edge on defense. SF lost to Serra by 1 point on 1 play [and I believe SF would have won had they tied with a PAT & went to O/T]. So with Manteca's win over Oakdale and SF's narrow loss to Serra both teams appear to be playing at their peak right now. Darrel Page is the X-Factor for SF as the Lancer offense revolves around him. If SF/Page can run on this Manteca defense then Lancer's take the game. SF cannot give up too many possessions to the Manteca offense with its potent pass game. A good pass game will always score more points than a run game so Lancer's must have the edge in possession time. SF's D played well against Serra and will need to pressure Campiotti on pass situations. I'm confidant SF can contain the Manteca run gamewith the D-line the Lancers have. Manteca looks solid, but can they come through with another stellar game after last weeks emotional win? SF lost 2 close games to VC & Serra and played tough against DLS early in season. My instincts tell me that St. Francis is due in a close game and will play solid vs Manteca.
St. Francis 28-21 over Manteca

[QUOTE="JCBUST, post: 183516, member: 6939"]How can you compare stats of a team who plays Elite level competition to a team "Gonna Get Beat" competition. A League and B/C League competition are not comparable. TU fans need to arrive during warm ups, that's as close as it will be.[/QUOTE]

Ha, ha JCBUST I hope the T.U. coach doesn't post your comment in the locker room before game. Any predicts on score?

On that note some people feel that same way about Half Moon Bay and their "marshmallow" schedule this season at 13-0 [best wins over M-A & Aragon was top win - same Aragon that St. Francis pulverized 42-7]. At the same time I don't know that you can totally discount 2 teams that are both 13-0 in Tulare Union & Half Moon Bay strictly based upon their weaker schedules.
In your defense JCBUST I do take a lot into account when it comes to "SOS". In these 2 cases
of Tulare's 13 wins 8 of those were over "substandard" competition while HMB had 9 "guaranteed" wins on their schedule. So this is the big chance for the small team from HMB to prove the critics wrong and for Manteca to prove the win over Valley Christian was not a fluke.

A SF win, especially a big one, will make VC and WCAL look better. VC was not prepared in their first game for a better prepared team. Nonetheless, VC shut out Manteca in the second half and lost by a missed field goal. VC looked strong in their win over SF. So VC should be routing for a SF win!

Kindly disagree. A VC win would have made VC look better. Placing it on someone else to take care of your bunsiness (especially a league rival) just seems strange to me.

I know a new softer generation I just would never root on a league rival? Just seems lazy and coat tail riding. Put in your own hard work and do it yourse instead of letting someone else do the heavy lifting and then showing up for the camera op.

[QUOTE="JCBUST, post: 183516, member: 6939"]How can you compare stats of a team who plays Elite level competition to a team "Gonna Get Beat" competition. A League and B/C League competition are not comparable. TU fans need to arrive during warm ups, that's as close as it will be.

Ha, ha JCBUST I hope the T.U. coach doesn't post your comment in the locker room before game. Any predicts on score?

On that note some people feel that same way about Half Moon Bay and their "marshmallow" schedule this season at 13-0 [best wins over M-A & Aragon was top win - same Aragon that St. Francis pulverized 42-7]. At the same time I don't know that you can totally discount 2 teams that are both 13-0 in Tulare Union & Half Moon Bay strictly based upon their weaker schedules.
In your defense JCBUST I do take a lot into account when it comes to "SOS". In these 2 cases
of Tulare's 13 wins 8 of those were over "substandard" competition while HMB had 9 "guaranteed" wins on their schedule. So this is the big chance for the small team from HMB to prove the critics wrong and for Manteca to prove the win over Valley Christian was not a fluke.[/QUOTE]

I think an undefeated team that has played a softer schedule without facing any top team is just basically unknown. Both Tulare and HMB would fall into this. They could both very good teams but not top tier, or they could very well be an elite team. Go back to Palo Alto's great team of 2010 - who were similarly looked at as questionable in strength prior to CCS Open playoffs. They had the opportunity to take on and beat not only the best of the CCS but also beat one of the best in the State with their Div 1 victory of Centennial. I think Tulare has that opportunity in taking on a very good Serra team, which if they beat will certainly prove their top tier status. I love HMBs run this year, and think they will do well vs Sutter, but I dont consider Sutter to be a top team. So at the end of the day, HMB will have a great season, deserve tons of accolades, but even if they win against Sutter, we will still not know if they were good enough to be in top 3 of CCS. It is time for a statewide playoff, not bowl system.

of Tulare's 13 wins 8 of those were over "substandard" competition while HMB had 9 "guaranteed" wins on their schedule. So this is the big chance for the small team from HMB to prove the critics wrong and for Manteca to prove the win over Valley Christian was not a fluke.

I think an undefeated team that has played a softer schedule without facing any top team is just basically unknown. Both Tulare and HMB would fall into this. They could both very good teams but not top tier, or they could very well be an elite team. Go back to Palo Alto's great team of 2010 - who were similarly looked at as questionable in strength prior to CCS Open playoffs. They had the opportunity to take on and beat not only the best of the CCS but also beat one of the best in the State with their Div 1 victory of Centennial. I think Tulare has that opportunity in taking on a very good Serra team, which if they beat will certainly prove their top tier status. I love HMBs run this year, and think they will do well vs Sutter, but I dont consider Sutter to be a top team. So at the end of the day, HMB will have a great season, deserve tons of accolades, but even if they win against Sutter, we will still not know if they were good enough to be in top 3 of CCS. It is time for a statewide playoff, not bowl system.[/QUOTE]
My response was to RMBR26 in regards to comparing stats to begin with, they are irrellevant. Serra would maul HMB, HMB has a small enrollment and 22 hard nosed players. HMB beat teams who had multiple D1 players in the second best A league in the section.

[/QUOTE] My response was to RMBR26 in regards to comparing stats to begin with, they are irrellevant. Serra would maul HMB, HMB has a small enrollment and 22 hard nosed players. HMB beat teams who had multiple D1 players in the second best A league in the section.[/QUOTE]

While I think that Serra would beat HMB easily, I seem to remember many people predicting a similar results in 2010 with Palo Alto, only to be proven wrong on the football field. No matter what, I'm rooting for HMB and all the CCS teams left!

Yes an don't forget little SHP's team who won the CCS Open beating Bell's in championship game 14-0. If I remember correctly SHP had just about the same size roster as HMB [about 26-28 and not big physically]. Also as Colhenry would point out - I'm not saying HMB is SHP simply due to not having a Ben Burr-Kirven who was a beast on both offense and defense. Burr-Kirven 6'0-222 is currently a starting LB for U of Washington.

Serra 2 years in a row NorCal sectional champs with blow-out of unbeaten Tulare Union.

Yes an don't forget little SHP's team who won the CCS Open beating Bell's in championship game 14-0. If I remember correctly SHP had just about the same size roster as HMB [about 26-28 and not big physically]. Also as Colhenry would point out - I'm not saying HMB is SHP simply due to not having a Ben Burr-Kirven who was a beast on both offense and defense. Burr-Kirven 6'0-222 is currently a starting LB for U of Washington.

Ah yes, SHP. What happened to them anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT