ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2018 - San Jose Merc All Bay Area Team

I can't imagine what's better to do on a Friday night (or Saturday, for that matter) than watch football... Come on.
It's certainly not like the times we would get at least 1000 in Kezar and a cheering section that actually cheered in spite of either team's record. Today, people who do show up act like it's an outdoor party and barely pay attention to the game.

Last edited:
WCAL Football 2018

Cheers -
I like Friday lites football as much as anybody, but not everyone, even die-hard fans find much enjoyment in a non-competitive & expected blow-out. Its all about being competitive and the teams records. Try to find parking at next week's St. Francis-Serra game at Serra on Saturday & there lies the difference in fan interest.

It's time for the WCAL to take a long, hard look at the football imbalance issue.
The only imbalance right now is Riordan

VC/SF/Serra

SI/SHC

Mitty/Bells

Riordan

Every league has good teams and weak teams. Bells had their years of runs and will be down for at least a few years. Mitty seems to have taken a step backward and Riordan is a mess.

Riordan to San Fran league and Palma comes on board would be perfect.

The only imbalance right now is Riordan

VC/SF/Serra

SI/SHC

Mitty/Bells

Riordan

Every league has good teams and weak teams. Bells had their years of runs and will be down for at least a few years. Mitty seems to have taken a step backward and Riordan is a mess.

Riordan to San Fran league and Palma comes on board would be perfect.

Throw in Marin Catholic, Cardinal Newman, SHC, SI, Riordan Palma, and you have 6 right there for WCAL North. For Wcal south, throw in Sacred Heart Prep, and they got 6 too. Im sure someone else can find a 7th school for both leagues as well if this ever gets a serious thought.

Cheers has a point. Take a look at the massive SI cheering section from 1968 when Dan Fouts was the Wildcat quarterback in this link I will provide. There are still some big student sections at games these days, but you don't see so much of the organized cheers as in the past ... just some Zombie Nation chant that you hear at soccer games.

SI vs. Serra at San Mateo High, 1968:

Yes, they did. But the big picture is not pretty at all. Something has to change, unless the Riordan administration, alumni, parents, etc. don't really care anymore. Or they are powerless to remedy a situation that seems to have hit bottom.

I hope things remain the same at Riordan for a while. Administration there is as classless as they come.

Lincoln deserves that ranking!

Not really. I give them and the entire AAA their props, they're improving with little support. I don't think they're a top 3 team in the PAL Lake or OAL though.

Cheers has a point. Take a look at the massive SI cheering section from 1968 when Dan Fouts was the Wildcat quarterback in this link I will provide. There are still some big student sections at games these days, but you don't see so much of the organized cheers as in the past ... just some Zombie Nation chant that you hear at soccer games.

This footage is vintage. Maybe because its a close up view but those kids look like the size of men out there. Love how the yard lines dust up the chalk as a player runs over or gets tackled on them. Thanks for this post Berdooman!

Was Lynn Swann the speedy back for Serra? He would have been a sophomore here.

Very good knowledge berdooman - Lynn Swann was a soph on the ‘68 team as a split end & as wellon the terrific ‘69 team with Jesse Freitas Jr. as QB & Tom Scott as the flanker. Swann’s senior season he was switched to QB early in the season to run the option. Colhenry will verify if I’m correct.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
Very good knowledge berdooman - Lynn Swann was a soph on the ‘68 team as a split end & as wellon the terrific ‘69 team with Jesse Freitas Jr. as QB & Tom Scott as the flanker. Swann’s senior season he was switched to QB early in the season to run the option. Colhenry will verify if I’m correct.

In 1968, Swann was a junior. His number was 22. Scott was 26. In 1969, Swann, a senior, switched to QB after an early loss to Woodside during which he was a WR, DB and kick-returner. All of the other key Serra offensive weapons had graduated. The offense was changed to a full-house option system with Swann handling the ball on every play. Misdirection was the key. It was like a T version of a quasi-single-wing. Pass attempts were very few. Against Bellarmine, Swann, who also kicked PATs, scored all 14 points in a shutout. Defense was a Serra strength that year. Serra, surprisingly, ended the year 9-1, the same record produced the year before. The excellent footage provided by the astute Berdooman also shows SI's brilliant Dan Fouts at QB. Serra's Freitas and Fouts would later wind up together with the NFL's San Diego Chargers. Freitas suffered from manic-depression and sadly flamed out after a couple of seasons. Fouts went on to a Pro Football Hall of Fame career.

Last edited:
Riordan - if you build it, they will come.

Riordan can rebuild its football program. But it will take a committed, talented, innovative coaching staff and a strong green light (budget, facilities, etc.) from the administration, admissions office and board. The current situation is marked by drift, inconsistency, dysfunction and confusion. The reasons why are not entirely clear from the outside. But the results on the field on Friday and Saturday are clear to anyone with a pulse.

Very good colhenry & great memory of seemingly all details. I was just looking up something and ran across an article on Kezar which included this:

Later memories of Kezar were more pleasant. I saw many huge prep games there including Dan Fouts leading St. Ignatius past Serra and Jesse Freitas Jr. in 1967. Serra returned the favor in ’69 when Lynn Swann returned a kickoff 90 yards untouched up the middle for a 13-10 Padre win.

Riordan’s “Unholy 11” (as it was known) with running backs Carl Braboy and Ralph Lamar was awesome, too.

Those were great days for prep football in The City and they’re not necessarily coming back. But as for the historic stadium where many of the games are still played, I think it’s never been better.

SI did not want to leave the AAA. They were forced out due to non-SF student-athletes on their rosters. The WCAL, in large measure, was created in 1967 to accommodate them and, not long after, SH(C), another rather reluctant WCAL convert. That wound up being a huge blow to the AAA which lost two stable, committed, original members of the league. The AAA has been in a steady decline ever since for that and other reasons.

SI did not want to leave the AAA. They were forced out due to non-SF student-athletes on their rosters. The WCAL, in large measure, was created in 1967 to accommodate them and, not long after, SH(C), another rather reluctant WCAL convert. That wound up being a huge blow to the AAA which lost two stable, committed, original members of the league. The AAA has been in a steady decline ever since for that and other reasons.
The closing of Poly Technic High In 73 also added to the AAA’s demise. #parrots

Last edited:
In 1968, Swann was a junior. His number was 22. Scott was 26. In 1969, Swann, a senior, switched to QB after an early loss to Woodside during which he was a WR, DB and kick-returner. All of the other key Serra offensive weapons had graduated. The offense was changed to a full-house option system with Swann handling the ball on every play. Misdirection was the key. It was like a T version of a quasi-single-wing. Pass attempts were very few. Against Bellarmine, Swann, who also kicked PATs, scored all 14 points in a shutout. Defense was a Serra strength that year. Serra, surprisingly, ended the year 9-1, the same record produced the year before. The excellent footage provided by the astute Berdooman also shows SI's brilliant Dan Fouts at QB. Serra's Freitas and Fouts would later wind up together with the NFL's San Diego Chargers. Freitas suffered from manic-depression and sadly flamed out after a couple of seasons. Fouts went on to a Pro Football Hall of Fame career.

I think I was at that game. The 1969 BCP-Serra game. If memory serves me correctly it was played at the old Buckshaw Stadium at Santa Clara U. It was packed.

Are you sure of this information?

I think it may have been because of the addition of Archbishop Mitty to the CAL and the number of schools playing basketball.
And then SI probably asked to join the CAL league, as the CAL league was looking for a 12th school to join the league.

Also the Central Coast Section was also being formed in 1965-66.
First C.C.S. Basketball Playoffs were in 1968, which was the first season there was a league called the WCAL.

In 1966 there were 8 schools playing basketball, so there were 14 league basketball games. The CAL usually had 7 or 8 schools playing basketball, with fewer schools playing football

In 1967 there were 9 schools playing basketball, so there were 16 league games.
Archbishop Mitty joined the CAL in 1967.

Adding SI in 1968 meant that there would be 10 schools playing basketball and 18 league games in the CAL.

So the 6 schools (AR, JS, BCP, SF, AM, & SI) on the West side of the Bay formed the basketball league for the WCAL with the schools playing 10 League Games. St. Mary's (Berkeley) joined the WCAL for Football only in the first 2 seasons of the WCAL.

Saint Ignatius made the decision to drop out of the AAA in October, 1966. The 11 CAL principals voted to allow SI to join the CAL by 11-0 vote. This was reported in the newspapers on October 13th, 1966.

So there were 11 schools already in the CAL at this point. The 10th & 11th votes were by two of these 3 schools Salesian, Moreau, or De La Salle. These 3 schools were not in the CAL basketball league in 1967. I am pretty sure all 3 of these schools would have basketball teams playing in the 1968 League Season or the 1969 League Season.

On March 13th, 1967 the West Catholic Athletic League was formed, the 13 principals of the CAL made the decision. The decision was the WCAL was going to still be the CAL with Riordan, St. Ignatius, Serra, St. Francis, Mitty, and Bellarmine being members of the league.
The other league, yet un-named, would have these schools as members: Bishop O'Dowd, St. Joseph's, St. Elizabeth's, St. Mary's (B), Salesian, Moreau Catholic, and De La Salle.
The split became necessary, when it was learned the the 2 divisions of the CAL would have to be placed in different C.I.F. sections - the West Bay schools would play in the C.C.S. and the East Bay schools in the N.C.S.
This was reported in the newspaper on March 14th, 1967.

Thanks for post ARHS Stats & loads of info. I am away traveling and reading yours & colhenry's posts on the go. Both great remembrances of what took place so thanks for both of your posts. Will review them tomorrow AM again to understand a bit better. Time difference is saying these are from yesterday when even my post is from today [?]. Glad headed home soon & looking forward to the Padre-Lancer Battle this Saturday at Serra. Saw that Lancer's a projected 4-point Fav which sounds conservative based on VC beat down of Serra by 31. Reading about DLS destroying every NC opponent they've faced and how none of their post-season opponents stands a chance vs the Green Machine incl Pitt - then I look at only blemish on SF's schedule and see the DLS win by 33-15 & wondering if I'm the only one whose noticed. SF Lancer's played Spartan's very well even with a sputtering offense & now adjusting to new QB quite well. IMO the 4-point margin by computers is extremely complimentary to the Padres as previous estimates favored SF by 14+. Anyone wanting to make predicts??

Are you sure of this information?

I think it may have been because of the addition of Archbishop Mitty to the CAL and the number of schools playing basketball.
And then SI probably asked to join the CAL league, as the CAL league was looking for a 12th school to join the league.

Also the Central Coast Section was also being formed in 1965-66.
First C.C.S. Basketball Playoffs were in 1968, which was the first season there was a league called the WCAL.

In 1966 there were 8 schools playing basketball, so there were 14 league basketball games. The CAL usually had 7 or 8 schools playing basketball, with fewer schools playing football

In 1967 there were 9 schools playing basketball, so there were 16 league games.
Archbishop Mitty joined the CAL in 1967.

Adding SI in 1968 meant that there would be 10 schools playing basketball and 18 league games in the CAL.

So the 6 schools (AR, JS, BCP, SF, AM, & SI) on the West side of the Bay formed the basketball league for the WCAL with the schools playing 10 League Games. St. Mary's (Berkeley) joined the WCAL for Football only in the first 2 seasons of the WCAL.

Saint Ignatius made the decision to drop out of the AAA in October, 1966. The 11 CAL principals voted to allow SI to join the CAL by 11-0 vote. This was reported in the newspapers on October 13th, 1966.

So there were 11 schools already in the CAL at this point. The 10th & 11th votes were by two of these 3 schools Salesian, Moreau, or De La Salle. These 3 schools were not in the CAL basketball league in 1967. I am pretty sure all 3 of these schools would have basketball teams playing in the 1968 League Season or the 1969 League Season.

On March 13th, 1967 the West Catholic Athletic League was formed, the 13 principals of the CAL made the decision. The decision was the WCAL was going to still be the CAL with Riordan, St. Ignatius, Serra, St. Francis, Mitty, and Bellarmine being members of the league.
The other league, yet un-named, would have these schools as members: Bishop O'Dowd, St. Joseph's, St. Elizabeth's, St. Mary's (B), Salesian, Moreau Catholic, and De La Salle.
The split became necessary, when it was learned the the 2 divisions of the CAL would have to be placed in different C.I.F. sections - the West Bay schools would play in the C.C.S. and the East Bay schools in the N.C.S.
This was reported in the newspaper on March 14th, 1967.

The AAA mandate to bar non-SF students from athletic competition forced the issue for SI and, soon after, SH. That timing coincided with the arrival of Mitty on the scene, permitting the CAL to break in half. It should also be noted that, just prior to those decisions, the Archdiocese of SF had been preparing to build a new high school in South San Francisco. But those plans fell apart and the school was never built.

Between '67-69 there was an extraordinary number of talented athletes on several WCAL teams and the excerpt I posted from an old article mention;'s Riordan's Carl Braboy & Ralph Lamar, of which I believe Braboy went on to play at
San Jose State. Braboy still holds a number of Riordan football records for rushing. We all know S.I. had Dan Fouts who BTW also ran track and was a pretty good hurdler. Serra had the 2 fastest players in the league in Lynn Swann & Tom Scott [Scott was similar to Julian Edleman of the Patriot's]. Not sure which was fastest between the 2 as both were clocked in 9.8 in 100 yards which is equivalent to a 10.72 in today's 100 meters. Scott went to the state meet in the 100 yard dash [time unknown] and Swann won the state long jump at 24'10" and also excelled in basketball. Nearby at San Mateo High was Swann's bigger brother Calvin a football & track standout along with RB Alonzo Emery who briefly played in the pro's. Over at Capuchino High was Keith Hernandez who was a multi-sport star and went on to an all star career in baseball with the Cardinals & Mets.

Another "Blast from the Past"
https://www.smdailyjournal.com/sports/local/two-champs-face-off-in-epic-battle-of-san-mateo/article_d709cb9a-c2ca-11e8-9847-c7e80a532cd6.html

Reactions: Defense_Rules
SI's 1967 team was outstanding, the first WCAL champ with just one pre-season defeat (to Sequoia). The Cherokees throughout the 1960s were one of NorCal's finest programs, producing a number of pros, including Rich Koeper, Bob Svihus, Gary Beban and several others.

Nice recollection guys. I'll add some stuff. Carl Braboy went to Santa Clara University. My brother went there at the time and said Braboy liked to wear banlon shirts and carry a briefcase to class. It's possible he later attended SJSU, but I don't know. Braboy and Ralph Lamar of Riordan's vaunted "Unholy 11" attended a public junior high school (Bayshore?) whose principal was a friend of my mom. She talked about Carl and Ralph ALL OF THE TIME. I think Frank Oross was the QB for Riordan in 69, but am not sure. Lynn Swann used to leave Serra frosh football practices early to attend dance lessons. Tom Scott was an athletic marvel. He could do continuous cartwheels the length of a football field in his gear and did back-flips as well. QB Dan Fouts was the real deal for SI and so was RB Bob Giorgetti, later of USC. The Wildcat coach of that era, Vince Tringali, later coached at USF and recruited heavily from the WCAL for a few years.

Berdooman, where did you get that classic video? I'm the middle of those white shirts somewhere. Great high school football at that time. Giorgetti was a senior Fouts' jr year. Denis Warde (44) and Ray Washmera (32) were SI's running backs in 68. Frank Oross was the Riordan QB in 68. Serra had a fullback, I think his name was Walsh who went to USF to play for Tringali. The nonSF athlete thing was THE reason SI left the AAA. The fact that Mitty was just joining the league and SI would keep it an even number was just coincidence. I went on to San Diego St and would run into Freitas. Good guy. To bad how things turned out for him.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Captain Morgan, at one point I found a bunch of ancient SI gamefilm on the Internet. The Wildcats are shown playing all the league opponents of the era and some non-league opponents, ranging from 1967 or 68 through about 1977. Lately I have been having difficulty finding these games which bums me out because they are cool to look at. The Serra FB you mentioned may have been Steve Fegan.

Reactions: colhenrylives
berdooman - arrived back in bay area 2 AM this morning so just reading recent posts now & adjusting to time of day - BTW great posts & info. I'll add a bit to your info on post regarding Swann & Scott. As from what I know "Swannie" did not leave frosh practice for "dance lessons" but rather ballet lessons as I recall. Not sure which parent or both thought it would simply "widen his horizons" so to speak. Swann later credited that early education in ballet with coordination and concentration which translated to his gracefullness on the FB field in making spectacular catches [please see his super bowl highlights]. Lynn Swann was THE most "fluid" athlete I have ever seen in HS sports - poetry in motion. From what I've read/know Carl Braboy was a magnificent HS RB and Ralph Lamar a physical specimen along the lines of San Mateo's Alonzo Emery. I do remember the name Steve Fagen as a quite large FB for Serra at the time. I ran into him at one time & he was a very nice & friendly guy. As for Tom Scott his junior year was nothing to speak of and his senior year he was simply a "phenom" and a blur on the field. His younger brother Steve was a good friend of mine who played football at Serra as well. Steve sat in back of me for 4 years in home room and we were good friends. Steve Scott went to Annapolis & played in the Army-Navy game as a WR & died in Yuma AZ at the age of 25 while training as a pilot in the Marines. For those unaware that was the Stephen Scott Award given to the most inspirational player at Serra each season [not sure when/if that ended]. Tom Scott was #26 & little bro Steve was also #26. At a point Steve changed his number & let me use the #26 as we were team mates.

Last edited:
berdooman - arrived back in bay area 2 AM this morning so just reading recent posts now & adjusting to time of day - BTW great posts & info. I'll add a bit to your info on post regarding Swann & Scott. As from what I know "Swannie" did not leave frosh practice for "dance lessons" but rather ballet lessons as I recall. Not sure which parent or both thought it would simply "widen his horizons" to speak. Swann later credited that early education in ballet with coordination and concentration which translated to his gracefullness on the FB field in making spectacular catches [please see his super bowl highlights]. Lynn Swann was THE most "fluid" athlete I have ever seen in HS sports - poetry in motion. From what I've read/know Carl Braboy was a magnificent HS RB and Ralph Lamar a physical specimen along the lines of San Mateo's Alonzo Emery. I do remember the name Steve Fagen as a quite large FB for Serra at the time. I ran into him at one time & he was a very nice & friendly guy. As for Tom Scott his junior year was nothing to speak of and his senior year he was simply a "phenom" and a blur on the field. His younger brother Steve was a good friend of mine who played football at Serra as well. Steve sat in back of me for 4 years in home room and we were good friends. Steve Scott went to Annapolis & played in the Army-Navy game as a WR & died in Yuma AZ at the age of 25 while training as a pilot in the Marines. For those unaware that was the Stephen Scott Award given to the most inspirational player at Serra each season [not sure when/if that ended]. Tom Scott was #26 & little bro Steve was also #26. At a point Steve changed his number & let me use the #26 as we were team mates.

Did the stop giving out the award or is it so highly coveted that it takes a special person to receive it?

Memorial Award
From Junipero Serra HS:

The Stephen Scott Award is presented to a member of the varsity football team who through dedication, commitment and role modeling has served as an Inspirational player to his teammates and coaches. The award is selected by the football coaching staff and is given only in years when there is a worthy recipient.

[QUOTE="Defense_Rules, post: 214458, member: 2282"]Did the stop giving out the award or is it so highly coveted that it takes a special person to receive it?

Memorial Award
From Junipero Serra HS:

The Stephen Scott Award is presented to a member of the varsity football team who through dedication, commitment and role modeling has served as an Inspirational player to his teammates and coaches. The award is selected by the football coaching staff and is given only in years when there is a worthy recipient.[/QUOTE]

Very good & thanks for posting Defense_Rules - much appreciated!

Rmbr26 I'd like to exchange a private message with you re the old days but I don't want to give my email address here and I don't know how else to do it. Anyway, Happy Halloween. BTW, 1969 Riordan vs. Serra showdown at Kezar was held on All Hallow's Eve, I think.

Rmbr26 I'd like to exchange a private message with you re the old days but I don't want to give my email address here and I don't know how else to do it. Anyway, Happy Halloween. BTW, 1969 Riordan vs. Serra showdown at Kezar was held on All Hallow's Eve, I think.

berdoooman - in the top right corner of page is an envelope that allows you to send private messages to anyone on here.

WCAL Football 2018 - This Week's Games

Friday Nite Lights:
Mitty hosts SHC at Foothill College 7:00 PM

Saturday
SF at Serra 2:00 PM
Bells at S.I. 2:00 PM
Riordan hosts VC at Terra Nova 3:00 PM

Mitty vs the Irish is an interesting game. SHC had the momentum after win's over S.I. & Bells until Serra game returned the Irish to reality [the reality being SHC is still in the 2nd tier of the league]. This game is a toss-up at this point. With SHC being 3-3 in WCAL and 5-4 overall the Irish with a win will have a winning record in WCAL league & 6-4 overall which would be a successful season. The Mitty Monarchs badly need the win currently at 2-4 league and 4-5 overall.A win would give Mitty a .500 record for the season while a loss leaves the Monarchs finishing 2-5 league & 4-6 overall much the same as last season.

SF vs Serra will determine if SF wins the WCAL crown outright going undefeated in league while a Serra win throws the league title into a 3 way tie [shared title] with SF-VC-Serra. This game lost a lost of its luster with the VC blow-out of Serra by 37-6. IMO the VC win is still a bit of a mystery contrary to the easy wins Serra has had over all other WCAL opponents seemingly scoring at will at times. Will the physical Lancers manhandle the Padres as the VC Warrior's did & bottle up the Serra scoring machine? Or was the VC debacle simply the case of a game gone terribly wrong for Serra? I see Serra's Bottari as the X-Factor in this game. Against VC Bottari and the Serra offense had their worst game of the year & I'm not expecting a repeat f that. At the same time Serra has to contain the SF ground game which does not possess quite the speed of VC's RB's, but is still quite efficient. Low scoring or shoot-out? Projections over recent weeks had SF anywhere from a 14 point favorite to the present 4 points to win.

Bells at S.I. are a decided underdog and S.I. will be happy to oblige. This season for Bells is one for the record books and for all the wrong reasons. This will mark the 3rd poor season in a row for the largest all boy private HS in NorCal.
With not much help on the way from Bells JV & Frosh look for some kind of change for next season to take place.

The season comes mercifully to an end this Saturday for Crusaders against a VC team that will be emptying its bench with the outcome not in question. Riordan football program in need of a complete rebuild top to bottom.

berdoooman - in the top right corner of page is an envelope that allows you to send private messages to anyone on here.

Rmbr26: OK, you're older than I am and yet I clicked on the envelope and cannot figure out how to send a private message. Ugh. If you want to, send ME a message and maybe I'll manage a reply.

WCAL Football 2018 - This Week's Games

Friday Nite Lights:
Mitty hosts SHC at Foothill College 7:00 PM

Saturday
SF at Serra 2:00 PM
Bells at S.I. 2:00 PM
Riordan hosts VC at Terra Nova 3:00 PM

Mitty vs the Irish is an interesting game. SHC had the momentum after win's over S.I. & Bells until Serra game returned the Irish to reality [the reality being SHC is still in the 2nd tier of the league]. This game is a toss-up at this point. With SHC being 3-3 in WCAL and 5-4 overall the Irish with a win will have a winning record in WCAL league & 6-4 overall which would be a successful season. The Mitty Monarchs badly need the win currently at 2-4 league and 4-5 overall.A win would give Mitty a .500 record for the season while a loss leaves the Monarchs finishing 2-5 league & 4-6 overall much the same as last season.

SF vs Serra will determine if SF wins the WCAL crown outright going undefeated in league while a Serra win throws the league title into a 3 way tie [shared title] with SF-VC-Serra. This game lost a lost of its luster with the VC blow-out of Serra by 37-6. IMO the VC win is still a bit of a mystery contrary to the easy wins Serra has had over all other WCAL opponents seemingly scoring at will at times. Will the physical Lancers manhandle the Padres as the VC Warrior's did & bottle up the Serra scoring machine? Or was the VC debacle simply the case of a game gone terribly wrong for Serra? I see Serra's Bottari as the X-Factor in this game. Against VC Bottari and the Serra offense had their worst game of the year & I'm not expecting a repeat f that. At the same time Serra has to contain the SF ground game which does not possess quite the speed of VC's RB's, but is still quite efficient. Low scoring or shoot-out? Projections over recent weeks had SF anywhere from a 14 point favorite to the present 4 points to win.

Bells at S.I. are a decided underdog and S.I. will be happy to oblige. This season for Bells is one for the record books and for all the wrong reasons. This will mark the 3rd poor season in a row for the largest all boy private HS in NorCal.
With not much help on the way from Bells JV & Frosh look for some kind of change for next season to take place.

The season comes mercifully to an end this Saturday for Crusaders against a VC team that will be emptying its bench with the outcome not in question. Riordan football program in need of a complete rebuild top to bottom.

In all fairness, Serra's offensive output vs. five second-tier WCAL teams is very deceptive. The league, like it or not, is down. Bellarmine and Mitty have been especially shaky this year. Add the three San Francisco schools to the mix and, to be honest, VC, SF and Serra were all 5-0 to start league play. Even VC is not quite what it has been in the past, good but not great. And St. Francis has serious issues on offense, although the defense is loaded for sure. The matchup with Serra is favorable. The Lancers can put severe heat on the Serra QB without a lot of blitzing. They can overwhelm the Padres' offensive line unless Serra adds a tight end (or even a tackle) to the OL and double-team selected SF heavyweights. Even then, it might not work. SF won't let the Serra special teams run rampant either. SF will try to control the clock, keeping the Serra offense off the field, hammering away at the Padres' front much like VC, wearing them down in the process. Look for a low-scoring affair, something like 17-14, or 21-13. But SF has to be the clear pick in this one.

Rmbr26: OK, you're older than I am and yet I clicked on the envelope and cannot figure out how to send a private message. Ugh. If you want to, send ME a message and maybe I'll manage a reply.

Not you berdooman - the NCP's web section for this is no longer in operation. I just posted a thread for StreakOne or anyone else to please update on posters' exchanging info privately.

Agree with colhenry that SF is the clear favorite in this contest. From what I've seen SF's D is even more impressive than last season when they won their state title & that is saying something. Therefore lies the hurdle the Padres must be able to get over & it is indeed a "high hurdle" in this case. From what I gather other posters have concluded that the Padres are the proverbial "Fudge Hammer" in that they crush meaningless opponents while falling far short when confronted with a solid opponent, aka Serra-Gardena, Pittsburg & Valley Christian to be precise. So this Saturday at the "Brady Family Stadium" [not sure why occasionally it is referred to as "Jesse Freitas Field" as the filed is part of the stadium, right? A bit confusing..]. What is troubling about the Serra loss to VC is the Padres "D". No one doubted the fire-power of the Serra "O' and that failed miserably. What I was astonished at was the Serra D giving up 37 to a team with no passing game whatsoever - who woulda thought? I HAD considered the Serra D right up there with VC & SF until that game which now has me questioning it against any good team Serra should face. Is the Serra D just that porous? Are the Padres susceptible to any team with a good running game? Is the Serra D just over-hyped spam?
All questions answered for sure this Saturday which will be the hot ticket in San Mateo this Sat afternoon. Get there early if you want a decent seat as should be a good crowd...

The rich get richer! Congrats to Serra's, Valley Christian's and St. Francis' Frosh teams as they finish as Tri-Champions. St. Francis defeats the young Padres today to create the 3-way Title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT