ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

Hey Joke Monkey - you spotted around time I did and everyone was wondering when the change would take place. For as painful as it was to see for many fans/alumni the demise of the Bells FB program over the last several years had to be sheer misery. I'm not sure I can remember another program of that caliber undergoing such a downfall over such a short time span. Not sure what the actual cause was but cannot be simply put on Janda as the cause...

I’d say even a higher caliber and quicker fall was LBP’s.

Go back on this forum and read comments regarding the Bells and it’s not hard to see who and why changes were made .

Bells will be a force again

Coach Mike Janda had an amazing run & would have liked to see him step down on a winning note although sometimes it doesn't work that way. The last really great game the Bells played was the upset of Folsom in the 2015 NorCal regional playoff where the Bells had to travel to Folsom. I watched that game and the Bells team played superbly against a deeper and more talented Folsom team that was a heavy favorite against that team representing the WCAL and CCS. The end result was an improbable Bellarmine 42-35 upset over unbeaten Folsom 14-0 coming into the game with a 43 game home win streak. The Bells who throughout recent seasons operated on offense either out of a double-wing or single-wing set had limited success against Folsom on the ground but stung the Bulldogs with big plays. With Folsom driving in the final minute the Bells intercepted and ran the ball back 54-yards. The Bells then scored the game winner on a 26-yard sprint with under a minute to play to shock the
very large Folsom home crowd attending the game. That was Janda at his best as he'd done so many times.

Reactions: Scott2138
By all rights, he will go down in Bellarmine football history as the school's greatest head coach. His long and successful record speaks for itself.

Janda is and was every bit a teacher as well as coach. He is an outstanding science teacher who taught AP Chemistry classes . He was never someone Bellarmine had to find a place for so he could coach the team.
This as well as his multiple community service projects show there was much more there than just a highly successful football coach.

In many ways, Bellarmine's recent slide corresponds to the increasing "concerted enrollment outreach" practiced by St. Francis, Serra and VC, the three ascendent WCAL football programs which have become, for all intents and purposes, regional all-star teams that span multiple Bay Area counties on a regular basis. Will Bellarmine join (rejoin) that exclusive club? Would not be a total shock. Give it some time.

Last edited:
The Bells cupboard certainly is not bare as the Frosh team had an undefeated season...
Bellarmine simply has not gotten the same amount of athletes they used to draw. With VC and SF having the ability to offer athletic scholarships and the flag scandal, the Bells fall has been steady. Someone mentioned a Strong Frosh class, that would need to continue. Interesting will be the next hire.

The Mercury News, SF Chron All Metro and now NCP's All Norcal Football teams.

Just glancing at the 3 lists as they came out it appeared to me that the SF Chron All Metro & NCP's lists were both very good. The Merc list does not include as large an area and therefore some players not recognized by Mercury News/"BANG".

Couple notes from my own WCAL perspective and I'd be first to admit I am not familiar with many east bay players or Sacto area. I was thrilled to see S.I.'s Danny Ryan be recognized by both the Chron & NCP's as one of the 2 First team WR's for bay area. Merc News or BANG had Danny at 2nd team and I'd posted about that to effect: that Danny Ryan did not break, but shattered the WCAL pass reception mark for WCAL games during a single season. Against Serra and VC the 2 top defensive teams in the CCS Danny had 9 & 10 receptions in the 2 games even against double-coverage. My point being that Danny Ryan being one of if not the best WCAL WR's in the history of the league got 2nd team by the Merc??

I also was happy to see that the Chron recognized Serra's Nate Sanchez on its first team Defense as one of the "AP" players. Sanchez was Serra's "swiss army knife" so to speak playing RB, WR, SS, KR & PR. With Daylin McLemore out mid-season I had thought that Sanchez with Terrance Loville was perhaps Serra's MVP for his all around contributions with Terrance Loville being a close 2nd to Sanchez. Both played both ways & on special teams and were clutch players in the biggest games. There's so many teams/players that none of the "all star" team lists will please everyone, but was good to see Danny Ryan & Nate Sanchez recognized.

In many ways, Bellarmine's recent slide corresponds to the increasing "concerted enrollment outreach" practiced by St. Francis, Serra and VC, the three ascendent WCAL football programs which have become, for all intents and purposes, regional all-star teams that span multiple Bay Area counties on a regular basis. Will Bellarmine join (rejoin) that exclusive club? Would not be a total shock. Give it some time.
"Concerted enrollment outreach" .... Just beautiful,somewhere George Carlin has a big smile. Maybe the San Francisco Jesuits can take a page from the aforementioned schools. After all, 0% ROI on a couple hundred thousand dollars isn't that bad. Right ?..... It must be the vow of poverty.

Reactions: colhenrylives
..."and blessed are those who suffer the slings and arrows of persistent WCAL losses and cannot provide pupil jitney service into the East Bay hinterlands..."

Reactions: WM483
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT