ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

CDM had 2 goal line stands to hang on for the win vs Oceanside.

Corona Del Mar record setting QB was 10/20 for 150 yards & 1 TD.
Top CDM WR was 4 catches 68 yards and didn't play in 2nd 1/2
Top CDM RB was 11 carries for 41 yards
CDM had 5 fumbles in the game
Cornoa Del Mar ranked 3rd in state while Oceanside is 30th
Oceanside is ranked slightly below Valley Christian
Maybe the Padres have a slight chance against SoCal power CDM??
Have you been watching them all year. Whole season / body of work? They got a great offense.

All due respect to CDM and they may win by 42 but after Serra's 2017 State Championship over Cajon who had- Jayden Daniels(ASU Starting QB)a 6''8 receiver & an Alabama LB not to mention Serra was a huge underdog. Final score Serra 38-14. I personally throw out the stats and the rankings in state champ and anything can happen. I was told that by a D1 coach and tend to agree with him....one man's opinion.

CDM had 2 goal line stands to hang on for the win vs Oceanside.

Corona Del Mar record setting QB was 10/20 for 150 yards & 1 TD.
Top CDM WR was 4 catches 68 yards and didn't play in 2nd 1/2
Top CDM RB was 11 carries for 41 yards
CDM had 5 fumbles in the game
Cornoa Del Mar ranked 3rd in state while Oceanside is 30th
Oceanside is ranked slightly below Valley Christian
Maybe the Padres have a slight chance against SoCal power CDM??
The important part to understand about the CDM fumbles is they were all (if memory serves correctly) forced by Oceanside defense. Granted, CDM carried the ball loosely but Oceanside was trained to focus on stripping the ball. This tells me that CDM hasn't normally worried about ball control.

Reactions: THEOC89
Published by California Interscholastic Federation - Spectrum
2019 CIF State: Div. 1-A Football Championship Bowl Game Serra (San Mateo) Vs. Corona Del MarDEC 14, 2019 | 4:00 PM PST Cerritos College, CAVarsity | Boys | Football
If you are in any of the following counties, this game will not be avaialble to watch on the NFHS Network. The counties affected are Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura. You can find the game on Spectrum at http://www.myspectrumsports.com/ca/socal.html/

WCAL Football 2019-20: Serra 13-1 vs Coronna Del Mar 15-0

Reading various posts the San Mateo Padres are decided underdogs by 2 scores or more and have seemingly little chance in this contest. Serra comes in ranked #12 in state while mighty Corona Del Mar comes in at a lofty #3.
The 2 teams actually share a common opponent in St. Francis of the WCAL whom CDM payed in the first game of the season. The game was a mismatch & CDM won by 42-14. Serra played SF later in the season winning over the Lancers by 35-21. Since then Serra has lost its #1 QB and is 4-1 with its replacement QB Domnique Lampkin who's done an admirable job & esp as just a soph as I've reported previously - Lampkin will only get better in time.

WCAL Football 2019-20: Serra 13-1 vs Coronna Del Mar 15-0

Reading various posts the San Mateo Padres are decided underdogs by 2 scores or more and have seemingly little chance in this contest. Serra comes in ranked #12 in state while mighty Corona Del Mar comes in at a lofty #3.
The 2 teams actually share a common opponent in St. Francis of the WCAL whom CDM payed in the first game of the season. The game was a mismatch & CDM won by 42-14. Serra played SF later in the season winning over the Lancers by 35-21. Since then Serra has lost its #1 QB and is 4-1 with its replacement QB Domnique Lampkin who's done an admirable job & esp as just a soph as I've reported previously - Lampkin will only get better in time.
Tantalizing to wonder how good Serra would have been this year at full strength. An opponent like CDM would bring out the best in them. Hope it brings out the best in the Serra D, they are going to have to keep them in this game

Tantalizing to wonder how good Serra would have been this year at full strength. An opponent like CDM would bring out the best in them. Hope it brings out the best in the Serra D, they are going to have to keep them in this game

"If Only"... and yes that would have been quite interesting. Serra not only lost one of the top QB's in NorCal in Daylin McLemore, but another excellent player in Dylan Eaton 6'0-190] injured early on. Eaton a multi-positional player who could have played QB, RB, WR or DB as well and as a track athlete in sprints was one of the fastest players on the Padre team along with Nate Sanchez. In light of that thought the loss of McLemore has caused the defense to step up their game improving since the injury and also gives Lampkin valuable experience as only a soph. As with Bottari as the starter for 3-years incl. 2 trips to state bowl games Lampkin will now get the same opportunity - Huge!

This is a question for El Rambo, a WCAL guru without peer: McLemore went down with a shoulder injury six weeks ago. How long might it take for the damage to heal enough for him to play again? Six weeks seems like a fairly considerable length of time. And it's not his throwing shoulder. Hmmmmmmm. One wonders. One muses. One speculates.

Last edited:
Serra has had a tremendous season and has exceeded most pre-season predictions. At this point of the year, any team still playing does a number of things extremely well and has a decent chance of winning. It becomes a matter of minimizing the other team's strengths and accenting your own.

I think this game comes down to Serra' pass defense and their ability to slow down CDM which is a 60-40 pass/run team and features one of the best passing games in the state. Serra's pass defense held up reasonably well last week against SJ Memorial (a 45/55 pass/run team) giving up 252 yards in the air but getting 2 INT's and some sacks against the only strong passing team they faced all year. Serra struggled against SI with their passing game in the first half. CDM features a University of Washington commit QB who has thrown for almost 5,000 yards and 67 TD's against only 5 interceptions. CDM features a 6'6" tight end who is also a University of Washington commit, a 6'5" WR who is a Stanford commit who had over 100 catches both his JR and SR year and has the state record for career TD catches at 77 and has 31TD catches this year (state record for one year is 34) and another receiver who is a 3 star prospect.

CDM is also battle tested having beaten three teams with Calprep ratings in the 50's (Serra's ranking is 57.4) each by over 20 points and another 3 teams rated above 40. Serra has won 4 games against teams with Calprep rankings in the 40's (Pitt, SJ Memorial, and VC twice who is 49.6). CDM has a ranking of 71.

CDM had only 9 turnovers entering its game last week against Oceanside and lost five fumbles in that game. Serra has not racked up impressive interception or sack totals for the year. It may be hard for Serra to replicate the turnovers although they did generate a number of fumbles by Valley Christian. CDM only punted 19 teams in 15 games.

I think Serra's best chance is to slow the game down and grind out long possessions with their run game and limit CDM's possessions. While CDM must have reasonable line pay and defense to generate this season's success, there is nothing to suggest that they will dominate Serra at the line of scrimmage. Serra's defense will have to be able to slow down CDM's passing game and limit yards after catch and come up with some timely sacks or turnovers. Best of luck tot he Padres - this will be a great test for their program.

If Serra rushing attack has success they can implement ball control with ability to break big plays given their playmakers. Ocean defense was stellar in the game and they were able to control the ball a lot. Ball control on offense and good defense tends to frustrate big play passing teams. Serra defense will need to step up and if CDM plays like they did against Oceanside (which is a very good team), the Pads could have a shot, but still would put the Pads at underdog. They will need to keep turnovers down.

[QUOTE="colhenrylives, post: 251671, member: 968"]This is a question for El Rambo, a WCAL guru without peer: McLemore went down with a shoulder injury six weeks ago. How long might it take for the damage to heal enough for him to play again? Six weeks seems like a fairly considerable length of time. And it's not his throwing shoulder. Hmmmmmmm. One wonders. One muses. One speculates.[/QUOTE]

To the knowledgable and ever inquisitive colhenry on a very good question indeed as Serra fans muse "What if?" [regarding the talented McLemore]. When I heard of the injury my first question like many was "which shoulder?" along with "could he play if on his non-throwing shoulder within a reasonable time?".
I got my answer quickly as after the game the injury was acknowledged and that McLemore was "done for the season". What I found from talking with various persons regarding collarbone injuries/breaks is that while they can heal in 6-8 weeks with some individuals they can take 3-4 months or longer in others to heal 100%. As there is no way to immobilize the collarbone as with a cast on an arm or leg the healing process is slower and the physical nature of football would be a no-no for the maximum time allowed for full healing. I guess also with college interest in McLemore's athletic abilities, the last thing anyone would want to do is endanger his future by rushing him back to play in the playoffs for a game or 2. In the aftermath of the injury though Serra fans have not lacked for excitement in the Padres last 6 games with Lampkin at the helm. 5 wins in 6 games with the lone blemish being the down to the wire 14-13 loss to S.I. Following that loss Serra has reeled off 4 playoff wins in a row outscoring its opponents by 114 to 46. Lampkin has had some notable plays in each game and his 51-yard TD run up the middle last week vs SJM was electrifying.

[B said:
"colhenrylives[/B], post: 251872, member: 968"]Walsh is quoted now as saying McLemore's availability Saturday will be a game-time decision.

Regardless of what may have been said, do you think realistically that McLemore could actually play after that long a break under the circumstances or simply misdirection of sorts for CDM to think about?

Regardless of what may have been said, do you think realistically that McLemore could actually play after that long a break under the circumstances or simply misdirection of sorts for CDM to think about?

Hard to tell. Depends on the doctors, coaches and the teen himself. Also wondering if he might be an extra DB at times to deal with those tall CDM receivers. McLemore is a rangy 6-3 or so. It's going to be interesting.

The Padres played an awesome game! With that sophomore QB the future looks bright for Serra.

Didn’t see the second half of the game. But Serra seems to have played well. I’ll admit my prediction of CDM scoring 42 on them was off a bit.

WCAL Football 2019-20: Final Game of Season Serra falls short 35-27 to Corona Del Mar

In a total team effort the Padres of Serra fell short in their late game rally to one of CA's best teams in undefeated Corona Del Mar [16-0]. In a game with too many big plays to recall [and there were plenty], a game that looked to get out of hand early turned into a nail biter at the end. The opening drive for Serra was a thing of beauty as Daylin McLEmore marched the team the length of the field to score the first TD. Corona Del Mar was as good as advertised with their passing game and their record setting QB running for large chunks of yardage at every opportunity. I thought Serra's defensive secondary played very well & that CDM just had too many talented WR's incl several large TE's to cover given the accuracy of the CDM QB. Reading about CDM prior to game I knew the QB Garbers could run, but not to the extent I saw in the first 1/2 going for over 100 yards. The goal line stand by Serra to end the first half was monumental in keeping the game close and shifting a bit of momentum. The Padres who had barely contained Garbers on every keeper were able to stop him on 4th and 1 was just incredible!
In the secondary Loville, Lewis and Sanchez all had superb games and Loville had THE PLAY OF THE GAME with his spectacular catch in the 4th. McLemore did not look quite 100% from his body language at the start of the game, but played as well as anyone could have hoped for coming off injury. After the hit out of bounds sidelined McLEmore the #2 QB Dom Lampkin came in and gave it all he had engineering several late TD's to put the game in question. I think I heard every player of Serra's defense named during the game and the Padres as a whole gave CDM as good a game as anyone had this season. A great season for Serra and one to remember for some time to come.

I have watched Serra football games since forever. I have also watched the great players parading through over the years. This Serra team, that was on the field yesterday, was the best I ever seen. Maybe not the most talented, but it was in their perfect effort and refusal to quit that made them so.

Reactions: pc2986 and jordan24
Serra represented the WCAL very well yesterday against that loaded CdM team. Hats off to the players and coaches at Serra.

I have watched Serra football games since forever. I have also watched the great players parading through over the years. This Serra team, that was on the field yesterday, was the best I ever seen. Maybe not the most talented, but it was in their perfect effort and refusal to quit that made them so.

Amen brother!!

I have thought a lot about this particular team for Serra & wondered myself "Could this BE the best team Serra has ever put together?". Its a great question and I think WCAL75 is very close to determining that. Previous to this team the 2017 team that went to state as an underdog and won 38-14 was IMO the most talented team ever to come out of Serra and ended the season with a 12-game school record win streak setting numerous school records on offense. The 2017 team again in IMO had the greatest set of WR's of any team in Serra's history and the best offense overall. In addition to the WR's of Patrick Nunn, Chris Park & Shane Villaroma [Serra's all time season record holder for receptions that Padres team had the best return player in the WCAL in Malakai Rango and the best duo of RB's in Isaiah Kendricks and David Coker. Put it altogether & that was the best Padre offense on record [as to Swann & Scott the best duo, but overall 2017 had the best group who broke who broke numerous long time Serra records].
Now the 2019 team is a bit harder to evaluate due to the loss of highly regarded Daylin McLemore in the 7th game of the Padres 15 game season. With McLemore at the helm the entire season then maybe the 2019 team is the greatest. Having lost their possible #2 QB Dylan Eaton early on to injury the Padres were left to start an inexperienced soph Dom Lampkin. However the Padres overcame that adversity with unbelievable coaching and the defense was even better and the offense was designed around Lampkin's skills. Lampkin performed beyond expectations showing he was a clutch player and the Padres go on to defeat and shut-out an excellent VC not one but twice. It may come down to the 2017 having the better offense due to the sheer talent and the 2019 team close behind having the better defense.
Again conjecture and curious what some others think about those 2 teams.

Here's the seasons' stats:

2019: 13-2 Record, Overall Rating = 57.0, Strength of Schedule = 37.7, Opponents Records = 118/61

2017: 13-2 Record, Overall Rating = 65.3, Strength of Schedule = 44.2, Opponents Records = 117/68

Reactions: WCAL75
I have thought a lot about this particular team for Serra & wondered myself "Could this BE the best team Serra has ever put together?". Its a great question and I think WCAL75 is very close to determining that. Previous to this team the 2017 team that went to state as an underdog and won 38-14 was IMO the most talented team ever to come out of Serra and ended the season with a 12-game school record win streak setting numerous school records on offense. The 2017 team again in IMO had the greatest set of WR's of any team in Serra's history and the best offense overall. In addition to the WR's of Patrick Nunn, Chris Park & Shane Villaroma [Serra's all time season record holder for receptions that Padres team had the best return player in the WCAL in Malakai Rango and the best duo of RB's in Isaiah Kendricks and David Coker. Put it altogether & that was the best Padre offense on record [as to Swann & Scott the best duo, but overall 2017 had the best group who broke who broke numerous long time Serra records].
Now the 2019 team is a bit harder to evaluate due to the loss of highly regarded Daylin McLemore in the 7th game of the Padres 15 game season. With McLemore at the helm the entire season then maybe the 2019 team is the greatest. Having lost their possible #2 QB Dylan Eaton early on to injury the Padres were left to start an inexperienced soph Dom Lampkin. However the Padres overcame that adversity with unbelievable coaching and the defense was even better and the offense was designed around Lampkin's skills. Lampkin performed beyond expectations showing he was a clutch player and the Padres go on to defeat and shut-out an excellent VC not one but twice. It may come down to the 2017 having the better offense due to the sheer talent and the 2019 team close behind having the better defense.
Again conjecture and curious what some others think about those 2 teams.

Here's the seasons' stats:

2019: 13-2 Record, Overall Rating = 57.0, Strength of Schedule = 37.7, Opponents Records = 118/61

2017: 13-2 Record, Overall Rating = 65.3, Strength of Schedule = 44.2, Opponents Records = 117/68

Dr. Ramble presents us with a definite Padre poser. Comparing the 1968 team with recent Serra units is difficult. Let's try. For one thing, the 1968 team featured more strong pass receivers than Scott and Swann. HB Mike Chiurco and TE Tom Caselli were excellent receivers. And there were several others. That team, which shattered the school record book at the time, finished 9-1 with a one-point loss to Vallejo after leading 20-0. Serra wound up tied with Alameda for the No.1 spot in NorCal; they were No.4 in the state as well. It was a different era, with no playoffs and very strong public school programs throughout the West Bay region (and no DLS juggernaut looming over the entire northern half of the state). It's important to note that the QB, Freitas, led the nation in passing in his senior year at San Diego State in the early 1970s. At Serra, he was regarded as one of the best pocket passers in the Far West by 1968 and was heavily recruited. In retrospect, the biggest difference between then and now involves two key areas: Depth and linemen. A half-century ago, a Serra varsity football roster would include about 40 guys or fewer; now, it's more like 60. Serra's OL and DL are bigger and deeper too. But the 1968 Serra skill kids were better than the latest crop _ and that's not criticism. Their post-Padre accomplishments verify that premise. In fairness, that 2017 Serra team was loaded but lost two pre-season games, one of them a total rout. They won a state bowl game without Mafi, now at UCLA. The 2019 team could have been 14-1 or 13-1-1; it tied SI late, took the PAT off the board and failed at a two-point try. Who knows what might have happened in OT? In the end, I would go out on a limb and state that the 1968 team was a stronger and more dominant team in its era (no DLS monster and much stronger local public schools) than any of the recent Serra entries have been in theirs. But it's close. Very, very close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmbr26
Yes Merry Christmas to everyone & their families out there!

Reading colhenry's thoughts on the greatest Padres teams I found this tidbit some of the "oldtimers" might find interesting.

All-Mercury News football 1958-1969

Posted on February 5, 2010 by Dennis Knight
Hey folks,
thought many of you would get a kick out of this. Mercury News alums Don Nash and John Spalding do a great job keeping the history of high school sports in the area. They have provided the All-Mercury News football teams dating all the way back to the first in 1958.
Some years didn’t have a player of the year, while others have multiple players. Some teams are All-CCS and some are All-County where noted.
I’ll release them by decade in the next week or so, here is the first which includes such all-time greats as Craig Morton, Jim Plunkett and Dan Pastorini.

1967 Mercury-News All-CCS
(No POY)

OFFENSE
E – Lynn Swann, Serra; Don Transeth, Del Mar
T – Mike Ryan, St. Ignatius; Don Ray Hart, Ayer
G – Vince Mok, Homestead; Mike Samis, Pioneer
C – Bob Pifferini, Homestead
QB – Bart Curry, Sequoia
RB- Ralph Show, Homestead; Chuck Hawthorne, Campbell; Bob Giorgetti, St. Ignatius
DEFENSE
E – Jeff Momsen, Blackford; John Penna, Sequoia
IL – Bill Hiney, Campbell; Doug Neale, Saratoga; Walt Edwards, Santa Cruz
LB – David Chaney, King City; Jim Volarvich, Los Altos; Mike Klatt, St. Francis
DB – Phil Quinet, Homestead; Mike Harrison, Palo Alto
1968 Mercury-News All-CCS
(No POY)

OFFENSE
E – Lynn Swann, Serra; Jim Winters, St. Francis
T – Doug Neale, Saratoga; Ron Voris, Awalt
G – Dennis Allen, Sequoia; Bob Federighi, Ayer
C – Phil Mosle, Woodside
QB – Jess Freitas, Serra
RB- Don Dunbar, Ayer; Mike Maestri, Willow Glen; Jim Shepner, Los Altos; Rod Stensrud, St. Francis
DEFENSE
E – Todd Brentlinger, Los Altos; Bob Marotti, Campbell
IL – Jim Constantz, Woodside; Scott Graff, Santa Cruz; Mike Hess, Los Altos; Dain Hines, Campbell; Russ Leal, Cupertino
LB – Jerry Egusa, Cupertino; Mark Hull, Bellarmine
DB- Bill Hiegal, St. Francis; Alton McSween, Pacific Grove; Steve Morello, Serra
1969 Mercury-News All-CCS
(No POY)

OFFENSE
E – Kent Raley, Saratoga; Manual Subia, Willow Glen
T – Ken Follmar, Los Gatos; Mike Doyle, Menlo-Atherton
G – Steve Fletcher, Gunn; Rich Hodgson, Lynbrook
C – Jim Waychus, Awalt
QB- Ray Taroli, Willow Glen
RB- Carl Brayboy, Riordan; Lynn Swann, Serra; Les Pennelly, Mission San Jose; Larry Lloyd, Overfelt
DEFENSE
IL – Russ Hagood, Monterey; Bob Haag, Palma; Ron Wood, Campbell
LB – Jerry Egusa, Cupertino; Steve Lawrence, Los Gatos; Mike McGillis, Los Altos; Manual Juarez, Mountain View
DB- Ed Lopez, Gonzales; Kevin Bouey, St. Ignatius; Len Johnson, Overfelt; Chris Racanelli, Fremont

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Dr. Ramble presents us with a definite Padre poser. Comparing the 1968 team with recent Serra units is difficult. Let's try. For one thing, the 1968 team featured more strong pass receivers than Scott and Swann. HB Mike Chiurco and TE Tom Caselli were excellent receivers. And there were several others. That team, which shattered the school record book at the time, finished 9-1 with a one-point loss to Vallejo after leading 20-0. Serra wound up tied with Alameda for the No.1 spot in NorCal; they were No.4 in the state as well. It was a different era, with no playoffs and very strong public school programs throughout the West Bay region (and no DLS juggernaut looming over the entire northern half of the state). It's important to note that the QB, Freitas, led the nation in passing in his senior year at San Diego State in the early 1970s. At Serra, he was regarded as one of the best pocket passers in the Far West by 1968 and was heavily recruited. In retrospect, the biggest difference between then and now involves two key areas: Depth and linemen. A half-century ago, a Serra varsity football roster would include about 40 guys or fewer; now, it's more like 60. Serra's OL and DL are bigger and deeper too. But the 1968 Serra skill kids were better than the latest crop _ and that's not criticism. Their post-Padre accomplishments verify that premise. In fairness, that 2017 Serra team was loaded but lost two pre-season games, one of them a total rout. They won a state bowl game without Mafi, now at UCLA. The 2019 team could have been 14-1 or 13-1-1; it tied SI late, took the PAT off the board and failed at a two-point try. Who knows what might have happened in OT? In the end, I would go out on a limb and state that the 1968 team was a stronger and more dominant team in its era (no DLS monster and much stronger local public schools) than any of the recent Serra entries have been in theirs. But it's close. Very, very close.

I think it was great that you remembered to bring up Mafi. But why no mention of Luke Bottari who broke all of the schools passing records? I remember watching the CCS championship game against St. Francis in 2017 and Botarri had two TD passes to the receiver Atkins, those two TD's along with a K/O return won the game sending the Padres to Norcal. I think Bottari's time at Serra was special.

The Atkins who quarterbacked the Serra frosh team this year, is he the brother of the player who caught passes for Bottari?

I guess that what I was trying to get at was this. That CDM team was loaded and one of the best of many loaded SoCal teams.

I looked at that game against CDM and that game only. Serra had a great year and the win against the central section team was superb and was as high a level as Serra could play.

I thought they would be toast against CDM. Then McLemore started and made it a very interesting game. But then Lampkin came in and brought Serra roaring back. Who was that kid who made the one handed catch down the sideline.

There is no way that Serra should have played CDM that closely but in that one game they did and that is saying a ton. It reminded me a lot of that 2010 Palo Alto team that went down and beat Corona. Lampkin is really going to be tough to play against over the next few years.

At the same time you can make an argument of this Serra team being on of the best ever. This team had true grit.

The Saint Francis freshman team went undefeated. The JV team off the top of my head went 8-1 I’m guessing if I remember right that lone loss was to DLS. The St Francis JV team did beat Corona Del Mar’s JV team. So an already strong senior team will be joined by a very strong underclass. I’m looking forward to heading south to play CDM next year.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Bless Teddye's heart! Chalk it up to nerves or brain just not thinking. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O (The University of UC Davis LOL!)

From the latest Serra newsletter:

"We hope you all had a memorable Christmas and a Happy New Year!
As we start 2020, it's been fun to see that there were three Serra Padres in the NFL playoffs - how many high schools can make that claim?
We had the legendary Tom Brady '95, quarterback for the New England Patriots, a graduate of University of Michigan; David Bakhtiari '09 left tackle with the Green Bay Packers, graduate of University of Colorado; and Matt Dickerson '14, defensive end with the Tennessee Titans, a graduate of UCLA.
We congratulate these Serra Legends and look forward to some great football this weekend! "

I spoke to Matt Dickerson before his senior year at Serra and he was a very nice, soft-spoken kid. Unfortunately a back injury kept him out all year, though he went on to play at UCLA. Good luck to him.

Bellarmine has postings for an Offensive Coordinator and Defensive LB/DB coaches on their web site

Hey Joke Monkey - you spotted around time I did and everyone was wondering when the change would take place. For as painful as it was to see for many fans/alumni the demise of the Bells FB program over the last several years had to be sheer misery. I'm not sure I can remember another program of that caliber undergoing such a downfall over such a short time span. Not sure what the actual cause was but cannot be simply put on Janda as the cause...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT