ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Spring Practice Reports

FUBO

Sports Fanatic
Aug 27, 2010
As the teams ready for their Spring on-field workouts, some obvious questions arise. How will Bellarmine and Riordan recover from major senior talent turnover? Serra, VC, Mitty and SF to a lesser extent. Will SI rebound from a subpar season? Can any team hold off SHCP in year four of the new regime with all the young talent they have been touting that are moving up to the Varsity ranks?

My early two favorites are St.Francis and VC.
Those would be the obvious choices but with all the talk from SHCP about their talent wave hitting the varsity level I am going to discount the past three years of zero WCAL wins and place them in frontrunner status or at least in the upper half. Mitty is the early dark horse pick with a solid coaching staff and a returning experienced QB.

Reactions: rabbit5
Those would be the obvious choices but with all the talk from SHCP about their talent wave hitting the varsity level I am going to discount the past three years of zero WCAL wins and place them in frontrunner status or at least in the upper half. Mitty is the early dark horse pick with a solid coaching staff and a returning experienced QB.
U
I gotta see it to believe it lol! As we all know it takes more than talent to win this league so I still would place them in the bottom tier until otherwise. Mitty has a great qb but will be lacking at the skill positions. They also lost some studs on defense. SF db's will be tops, as well as their run game. You never can count out the Bells, Serra will come in battle tested for the rigors of league play, VC has lots of talent at the skill positions, but never seems to get over that hump. I would say it's gonna be a down year with the exception of Saint Francis who will most likely represent for a regional bid.

St. Francis, VC and Serra will be in the title hunt based on key returnees. Agree! Never count out Bellarmine - look what happened two seasons ago! Their program / scheme has been humming along and placed the Bells in the hunt every season. Will be interesting to see Tran in action for Mitty. SI, SHC and Riordan will struggle in league play next season.

Are you equating SHC and Riordan?
No. Just stating the City schools will struggle in WCAL play. I still see the Crusaders prevailing over the 'Cats and Irish next season. Good returning linemen, bruising LB/FB who made 1st team WCAL as a soph, some speed and QBs that played last season.

No. Just stating the City schools will struggle in WCAL play. I still see the Crusaders prevailing over the 'Cats and Irish next season. Good returning linemen, bruising LB/FB who made 1st team WCAL as a soph, some speed and QBs that played last season.
Possible scenario but then that means you don't believe in the huge wave of talent the SHCP coaches and fans have been touting for the past winless three years.

Possible scenario but then that means you don't believe in the huge wave of talent the SHCP coaches and fans have been touting for the past winless three years.
Well, did not see any Irish Sophs making the first team! Lol!

SF, Serra and VC have strong senior classes.Bells will be better than many think. Bells lose a lot but will also have speed at the skill positions and experirnced returners from the state D1 game. Will be interesting of Mitty throws more this season with Tran now a senior. The San Francisco teams will challenge at middle of the pack and lower. Willbe surprised if any SF team is in top 4. Probably like a usual WCAL season where winner has one of two losses and lots of teams with 3 and 4 losses in league.

Fool-Butt, I don' t think any SHC fan on any of the these boards were stating SHC was going to steamroll Serra, VC, Bells, etc.

What they did say was SHCP for the future seasons has better athletes for football and should be able to beat Rearend in the next upcoming seasons in football in SF.

SHC has beaten Riordan 7 years in a row before losing the last three football contests to Riordan.

Football Mom Scott, now the young talent SHCP has been touting for the past three years is finally grouping on the Varsity roster but all of a sudden it's only good enough for one win? How could that be! I'm sure Irish Cheers, Rikfan and the coaches would disagree with you.

Reactions: rabbit5
Football Mom Scott, now the young talent SHCP has been touting for the past three years is finally grouping on the Varsity roster but all of a sudden it's only good enough for one win? How could that be! I'm sure Irish Cheers, Rikfan and the coaches would disagree with you.

Than banter was going on forever, no where did anyone from SHC say we would crush opposition in the WCAL in football. If we could beat other teams it would be a bonus, I just care about beating Rearend.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Than banter was going on forever, no where did anyone from SHC say we would crush opposition in the WCAL in football. If we could beat other teams it would be a bonus, I just care about beating Rearend.
So the season would be a failure if you guys went 1-6 in League, but your only win was not against Riordan? ;)

It appears Riordan's non-league schedule is set for the 2016 season:

8/26 @ Hillsdale (2015 CCS D4 Runner up) 7pm
9/3 Sacred Heart Prep (CCS D3 Champ/NorCal D3-A Champ/State D3-A Runner Up) 2pm @ CCSF
9/10 St. Mary's Albany (TCAL Rock Champ/NCS quarterfinalist) 5pm @Terra Nova

Don't know the strength of these teams coming into 2016 with the exception of SHP as they lose a significant amount of talent (qb Randall; wr/te/lb Daschbach, RB/LB Mahoni, etc.) from last season's team with the exception of one of their starting RB's in Moimoi. I would say the schedule is about right given that Riordan will also be in a rebuilding mode with the heavy loss of graduating players that were the key contributors to the 2015 campaign.

If you can recall one of those talented underclassmen was murdered last year and the killer(s) still has/have not been brought to justice.

If you can recall one of those talented underclassmen was murdered last year and the killer(s) still has/have not been brought to justice.
Yes. That was very tragic and sad to happen to a youngster starting his high school years...Many Riordan students showed up on the SHC campus the following day to pay their respects as he was well known throughout the Riordan student community as well as supporting his cousin? JWS.

SHC has beaten Riordan 7 years in a row before losing the last three football contests to Riordan.

Hey Scott, I can't find any time the Sacred Heart Cathedral Varsity football team has ever defeated Archbishop Riordan 7 years in a row.

Please try to tell the truth when you post on here.

Or provide proof of the year and the score of each game in your imaginary 7 game Varsity Football winning streak over Archbishop Riordan.

I can prove Sacred Heart Cathedral has never won 7 Varsity football games in a row over Archbishop Riordan.

It seems I have to correct some SHC fan about this fact, every 10 months or so.

Sacred Heart Cathedral had never won more than 2 Varsity games in a row until the 2010 football season, when SHC won a 3rd Varsity game in a row vs. Archbishop Riordan. Including all games played by Sacred Heart, when it was an all boys school.

With SHC Winning Varsity football games in 2008, 2009, and 2010.

Riordan will do well this year, as well as last, probably not, but with talent ready to emerge and an excellent battled tested coaching staff, I predict big things for the Crusaders again next season. If you go back and read my posts before the season began, I had MY CRUSADERS winning 5 league games. My inside vantage point sees how hard the team has worked this spring, and how much spirit they have, do not sleep on them again.

SH will have another sorry season as will SI.

Reactions: FUBO
Riordan will do well this year, as well as last, probably not, but with talent ready to emerge and an excellent battled tested coaching staff, I predict big things for the Crusaders again next season. If you go back and read my posts before the season began, I had MY CRUSADERS winning 5 league games. My inside vantage point sees how hard the team has worked this spring, and how much spirit they have, do not sleep on them again.

SH will have another sorry season as will SI.

Dream on Fool, Jr. The "sorry season" belongs to the purple kids.

Re:QUOTE=
Are you equating SHC and Riordan?

What's to "equate"? SHC will be competitive and Riordan & SI will battle for last place. Riordan will have about 30 players this season while the Irish will have 50.

Update: SHC 33 Riordan 7.

Update Again: SHC 4A State CHAMPS, 2021.

Last edited:
Hey Scott, I can't find any time the Sacred Heart Cathedral Varsity football team has ever defeated Archbishop Riordan 7 years in a row.

Or provide proof of the year and the score of each game in your imaginary 7 game Varsity Football winning streak over Archbishop Riordan.

I can prove Sacred Heart Cathedral has never won 7 Varsity football games in a row over Archbishop Riordan.

Sacred Heart Cathedral had never won more than 2 Varsity games in a row until the 2010 football season, when SHC won a 3rd Varsity game in a row vs. Archbishop Riordan. Including all games played by Sacred Heart, when it was an all boys school.

Curious Pat, can you give the board here your assessment of SHC alum Kevin Greene's football career?

Oddly, it was minimal at USC. Somewhere else, perhaps he would have seen more snaps. Not sure.

He may not have compiled any hall of fame credentials, but credit him for actually making it. You cant make if you dont work hard. He was on the roster for the Bengals. Thats way farther than any of us regular joes could do. Its great than any of the SF school kids make it that far. Adds to the prestige of the city/area.

He may not have compiled any hall of fame credentials, but credit him for actually making it. You cant make if you dont work hard. He was on the roster for the Bengals. Thats way farther than any of us regular joes could do. Its great than any of the SF school kids make it that far. Adds to the prestige of the city/area.
Agree. I always thought another hoops player turned football player, Rob Jones, would make an outstanding TE. He started playing football late in HS like Kevin Greene and he received offers from USC and Notre Dame. His heart was set on hoops though he was a tweener PF @ 6-5, but had a high IQ and motor
And did well at the mid-major level. The Niners and Vikings even offered him a tryout based on HS play and Harbaugh saw Jones on Campus and wanted him to go out for the team when he was at USD.
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20673463/saint-marys-basketball-player-rob-jones-passes-shot

Last edited:

SHC won 2011 and 2012. maybe just 5 years in a row. SHC started losing when Riordan hired John Lee.

After USC, Kevin Greene did stints with the 49ers Bears Titans and Panthers. He moved around a lot in practice teams.

SHC won 2011 and 2012. maybe just 5 years in a row. SHC started losing when Riordan hired John Lee.
"Mess with the bull and you get the horns! " Lol! It's all good Scott...Pat's been doing stats not only for Riordan but also SI and St. Francis as well as for a lot of WCAL sports for the past 30+ years.
Interesting Lee only won in league play against his Alma Mater that spurned him. I was hoping he'd make a return to SHC and coach the lower levels as he also left the teaching staff at Riordan at the end of the 2014-15 School year.
SHC and Riordan have had a number of players on the Niners roster. As I recall SHC's Kevin Gogan, Jason Hill and Kevin Greene were on the roster with only Gogan seeing any significant time as a veteran starter. Riordan's Derek Loville was a starting rb - post Ricky Waters/William Floyd era, Donald Strickland nickel back and Eric Wright CB and nickel back who retired as a Niner.

I have an interesting question that would foster some interesting answers. I want to know which SF high school athlete (meaning anyone that went to AAA school or SI, SH or Riordan) has made the most money playing professionally in his/her respective sport. My guess would be Igor Olshansky from SI. He played 5 years for SD with signing bonus made $7.45M, played 2 years with DAL and got $8M guaranteed. I'd say made $20M career earnings over 8 years in NFL. Anyone have a better answer?

So after all Ive read/heard of this vaunted SH class is it fair to say, should they lose to Riordan this upcoming year it will be like the curse of the bambino? Red Sox got rid of Babe and never won a title for 90+ years. SH gets rid of Lee and havent won since lol. Ok maybe not but its comical should they lose again.

Well, did not see any Irish Sophs making the first team! Lol!

You will this season. Watch for LeVar Watkins. He's the fastest player on the team and usually the fastest player on the field.

The MaxPreps roster has him listed as a QB and a cornerback. He was a running back, QB and CB as a frosh player. All he really needs is some time in the weight room. Also watch for Josh Miles. Good power back. He carries tacklers.

Watch these highlights and you'll see who gets the last "lol".

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6612548/levar-watkins-jr

Last edited:
I have an interesting question that would foster some interesting answers. I want to know which SF high school athlete (meaning anyone that went to AAA school or SI, SH or Riordan) has made the most money playing professionally in his/her respective sport. My guess would be Igor Olshansky from SI. He played 5 years for SD with signing bonus made $7.45M, played 2 years with DAL and got $8M guaranteed. I'd say made $20M career earnings over 8 years in NFL. Anyone have a better answer?
Why so much hostility cheers?
Steve Sewell. Donald Strickland. Eric Wright. Kevin Restani All made money I would surmise.

Yes, "just" five years. At least seven starts this season.

2008 SHC 10-7

2009 SHC 42-6

2010 SHC 55-6

2011 SHC 35-7

2012 SHC 35-14

NEXT:

2016 SHC 33-7

Last edited:
Yes, "just" five years. At least seven starts this season.

2008 SHC 10-7

2009 SHC 42-6

2010 SHC 55-6

2011 SHC 35-7

2012 SHC 35-14
...and for more recent results for Irish history revisionists...Lol!
#4 continues this season!
2013 Riordan 24-21 (Coach Lee - only WCAL win)
2014 Riordan 14-7 (Coach Lee - only WCAL win)
2015 Riordan 42-7 (Coach Fordon - 4 WCAL wins)

Reactions: FUBO
Nah, don't think so. Pre-season games will show a lot. Both teams look like they've scheduled good match-ups.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT