ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Spring Practice Reports

Steve Sewell. Donald Strickland. Eric Wright. Kevin Restani All made money I would surmise.

did any of those guys top $20M in career earnings? I would think Sewell and Restani would not have because of the era they played. Strickland I think would have made between $10-15M

"I'll have to read up on it".

"Read up on it" was about that freshman two years ago, not you... idiot. The only one who needs "help" is you.

UPDATE 12-11-2021: "Getting back to you ". Sacred Heart is California 4A State CHAMPIONS, you blithering idiot.

Last edited:
So anyways, with all the new contact/non contact legislation, are schools even allowed on field work still in the Spring/Summer?

did any of those guys top $20M in career earnings? I would think Sewell and Restani would not have because of the era they played. Strickland I think would have made between $10-15M
Eric Wright signed a $37.5M multi-year contract in 2012, but the totalamount was never realized. His career earnings were ~$13M

Have all of these Riordan millionaires donated big bucks to the school's endowment fund? One would hope.

Have all of these Riordan millionaires donated big bucks to the school's endowment fund? One would hope.
I believe so. Wright, Steve Sewell, Donald Strickland spent time on campus a few years ago and met with the President when Wright was playing for the Niners and Sewell was being inducted to SF Bay Area HS HOF

I have an interesting question that would foster some interesting answers. I want to know which SF high school athlete (meaning anyone that went to AAA school or SI, SH or Riordan) has made the most money playing professionally in his/her respective sport. My guess would be Igor Olshansky from SI. He played 5 years for SD with signing bonus made $7.45M, played 2 years with DAL and got $8M guaranteed. I'd say made $20M career earnings over 8 years in NFL. Anyone have a better answer?
Dan Fouts?

Eric Wright signed a $37.5M multi-year contract in 2012, but the totalamount was never realized. His career earnings were ~$13M

Hey Jordan - any insight why Wright suddenly hung it up on the '9ers at a realtively young age? At the time it was said something to the effect he was "retiring to concentrate on his family", which is a bit ambiguos. It appeared at time he was walking away from $$$, but maybe he had on-going injuries and didn't have the fight in him any more?

From what I have read, during OTAs before season he retired he had battled injuries (before coming to Niners he had failed physical at TB and was on injury list for extended time before playing) and also may have had some personal issues (arrested for DUI twice but believe he wasn't convicted and most likely overcame that issue). It seems his stock declined after being replaced in the roster order after coming back (evidently he was fighting injuries), and when you put everything together fighting injuries and place in the roster and he probably lost the passion to play and compete for a spot. NFL has got to be the most physically destructive sport on the body off all sports (maybe bull riding is worse) and can't blame a person for looking down the road and determining to retire. Got to hand it to Patrick Willis for retiring before it took its physical toll further.

From what I have read, during OTAs before season he retired he had battled injuries (before coming to Niners he had failed physical at TB and was on injury list for extended time before playing) and also may have had some personal issues (arrested for DUI twice but believe he wasn't convicted and most likely overcame that issue). It seems his stock declined after being replaced in the roster order after coming back (evidently he was fighting injuries), and when you put everything together fighting injuries and place in the roster and he probably lost the passion to play and compete for a spot. NFL has got to be the most physically destructive sport on the body off all sports (maybe bull riding is worse) and can't blame a person for looking down the road and determining to retire. Got to hand it to Patrick Willis for retiring before it took its physical toll further.
And looks as Willis has successfully transitioned to his new career
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...vbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE5MTBfMQRzZWMDc2M-

NorCal is pretty spot-on. Football can be very dangerous if you lose the desire to play. He made some bad decisions during his career, but once he experienced numerous injuries and became a husband/father he realized he had to grow up and be accountable.

Hey Jordan - any insight why Wright suddenly hung it up on the '9ers at a realtively young age? At the time it was said something to the effect he was "retiring to concentrate on his family", which is a bit ambiguos. It appeared at time he was walking away from $$$, but maybe he had on-going injuries and didn't have the fight in him any more?
What is ambiguous about wanting to spend more time with his family?

Reactions: Bubba3000
1DNA, any info on how the Spring practice went? Heard some of the seniors were mentoring the incoming varsity players.

No, saw Danny C n Ryan J but didnt have a chance to speak with them, tight time constraints on my end.

Are there any out of section games from WCAL that should be in top half of the WCAL this year? (games like Bellarmine vs Pittsburg or Serra vs Foothill)

Doesnt Serra usually play DLS every year because of the Coach Walsh-DLS connection or that series is over? I remember Riordan had DLS on the schedule about 25 years ago and thought it would be a good game because I thought Riordan had all these superior athletes but they ended losing by alot. Not alot, but A LOT!

Reactions: aztecpadre
Doesnt Serra usually play DLS every year because of the Coach Walsh-DLS connection or that series is over? I remember Riordan had DLS on the schedule about 25 years ago and thought it would be a good game because I thought Riordan had all these superior athletes but they ended losing by alot. Not alot, but A LOT!
You are bringing up a game from 25 years ago? The Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep "Fightin Irish" have A LOT of consecutive WCAL league losses over the past four seasons. When will their losing streak end?

I saw the DLS Riordan game in 1993. Good to see the rabbits humbled. Our sister school could have scored 80 if they wanted.

Last edited:
I saw the DLS Riordan game in 1993. Good to see the rabbits humbled.
Ok. If you want to go way back...I don't recall SH(C) ever beating a Ladoceur-coached DLS team. Riordan did in the 80's. How many WCAL football titles do the Irish have? That's A LOT ! Lol!

Ok. If you want to go way back...I don't recall Sacred Heart ever beating a Ladoceur-coached DLS team. Riordan did in the 80's. How many WCAL football titles do the Irish have?

Yes, it was a close (pre-powerhouse days) 26-16 win for the Spartans in 1979.

Irish have 4 titles:
Co-AAA Champs, 1957.
CCS Small Schools Division, 2008.
CCS D-III, 2021
NorCal 4A, 2021
California State 4A, 2021
That was for everybody who wore the Green, White, Blue or Red & Gold

Last edited:
Ok. If you want to go way back...I don't recall SH(C) ever beating a Ladoceur-coached DLS team. Riordan did in the 80's. How many WCAL football titles do the Irish have? That's A LOT ! Lol!

In fairness, if SH played DLS, I would not be surprised if the score was 105-0 and with running clock and perhaps the DLS coach would get suspended for unsportsmanlike conduct.

In fairness, if SH played DLS, I would not be surprised if the score was 105-0 and with running clock and perhaps the DLS coach would get suspended for unsportsmanlike conduct.

They could do that with a lot of teams. Throw SI in there too (which I'd like to see just for the humbling).

Last edited:
WOW....I see the Crusader-Irish rivalry is starting up sooner than normal. Is this because of the Beat down at TN, or is it to deflect another terrible season on SHC part. I guess we will know that next November.

Meanwhile the Irish revisionist of history seem to show up and start there blah, blah, blah.

But to answer the yada, yada, yada about off season works it has gone well during spring sports of over 60 kids invoiced regularly. And with some super star coming in this year...I think the Crusader Nation will be happy as well as satisfied at s repeat of daring to defy.

I personally plan not to be so hard on a program that can't change. Parents at SHC are out of control and I feel sorry for their coaching staff.

But you know what they say, if your not a part of the solution...you are the problem.

Let me start it early...

We are One, We R Crusaders...Kings of Kezar

Last edited:
WOW....I see the Crusader-Irish rivalry is starting up sooner than normal. Is this because of the Beat down at TN, or is it to deflect another terrible season on SHC part. I guess we will know that next November.

Meanwhile the Irish revisionist of history seem to show up and start there blah, blah, blah.

But to answer the yada, yada, yada about off season works it has gone well during spring sports of over 60 kids invoiced regularly. And with some super star coming in this year...I think the Crusader Nation will be happy as well as satisfied at s repeat of daring to defy.

I personally plan not to be so hard on a program that can't change. Parents at SHC are out of control and I feel sorry for their coaching staff.

Big you know what they say, if your not a part of the solution...you are the problem.

Let me start it early...

Drop the mic Reverend!!!!

Your right there too Cheers. Dont be naive. You add fuel to Fubos fire. Lol
I only responded to their drivel. (past tense: respond-ed). I don't mind banter and setting the record straight doing it but I don't instigate it. I also don't lie about the parents or a program that's improving every year. Football participation, enrollment and talent has all improved at SHC and a doubling of the practice area thanks to renovation at Hayward Playground nearby will follow. Riordan has had dismal lower-level showings the past three years and it will translate to the same on the varsity. Irish Pride and a better athletic program is the reality.

Proverbs 14:7
Stay away from a fool, for you will not find knowledge on their lips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rikfran

But you know what they say, if your not a part of the solution...you are the problem.

Let me start it early...

J2, That's interesting news...I guess we shall see in August. Enjoy your summer

Hey Scott, I can't find any time the Sacred Heart Cathedral Varsity football team has ever defeated Archbishop Riordan 7 years in a row.

Please try to tell the truth when you post on here.

Somehow, I don't think you'd be so passionate or accusatory in your correction response if he said "SHC beat Riordan 4 in a row". Not everyone has all the records at their fingertips 24/7.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT