ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 Surprises

pantera-cat

Sports Fanatic
Nov 9, 2005
Every year in the first few weeks there are always some surprises. This year is no different.

My biggest surprise was the Merced thumping of Del Campo 51-13. Is Merced the real deal or did Del Campo take a step waaay back?

Next for me was the Monte Vista win over Granite Bay 9-3. I've always considered MV to be a strong program and last year must have been a total fluke. Knocking off a SFL power is no easy task.

Lastly, it's hard for me to imagine Napa falling so far. Losing to Pitman is not what surprised me so much but being boat raced 55-7, seriously?

Please add any surprises you may have.

CVC over Pittsburg. Although I thought Clayton Valley would have a decent season, I believed Pittsburg had a lot more juice.

Folsom not scoring at all. Aside from the error in calling, I'm astounded that Folsom couldn't convert their yards into TDs. I had assumed this game would be a high scoring match up. I didn't account for strong defense on both teams and nominal offensive performance from DLS. That was a big surpirse.

Capital Christian scoring 34 points in 3rd quarter - I had predicted a CC win over CO but it was a hunch prediction. When CO outscored CC 30-6 in the first half, I figured the game had been set. It was only long after the fact I learned CC scored 34 unanswered points to start the second half. That was a big surprise.

MCC decisively beating CW - Modesto Central Catholic was supposed to be a bit down and Clovis West seemed to have some gumption indicated by their schedule. MCC seems to have the goods and CW seemed overwhelmed.That was a big surprise.

Corona Centennial dominating Chandler (AZ) It seemed CC was in a rebuilding year and Chandler had most of their marbles from last year. Not that I thought Chandler would win, but scoring only 13 points was surprising.

Reactions: pantera-cat
Every year in the first few weeks there are always some surprises. This year is no different.

My biggest surprise was the Merced thumping of Del Campo 51-13. Is Merced the real deal or did Del Campo take a step waaay back?

Next for me was the Monte Vista win over Granite Bay 9-3. I've always considered MV to be a strong program and last year must have been a total fluke. Knocking off a SFL power is no easy task.

Lastly, it's hard for me to imagine Napa falling so far. Losing to Pitman is not what surprised me so much but being boat raced 55-7, seriously?

Please add any surprises you may have.
Pantera-cat.....Monte Vista took a big hit in grad, but last years team was real young, now this team has taken a big step forward...the Mustangs are for real...

Reactions: pantera-cat
Folsom not scoring at all. Aside from the error in calling, I'm astounded that Folsom couldn't convert their yards into TDs. I had assumed this game would be a high scoring match up. I didn't account for strong defense on both teams and nominal offensive performance from DLS. That was a big surpirse.

I am with you there. Would have guessed higher scoring.

Big surprise to everyone- Folsom holding DLS to 14 points. A feat not accomplished by one team last season.

Not a surprise to me, but made for a great game!

Big surprise on CVC too! I hadn't given them a though of beating Pitt. Boy was I wrong. I am impressed with the Ugly Eagles! Kudos to them!

Big surprise to every Folsom fan and potentially many others (even some DLS fans ... ok, maybe not. lol) ... Folsom not scoring a single point against DLS. When was the last time the Folsom Bulldogs was SHUTOUT? Folsom's offense is good, very good. DLS's defense is GREAT! Not a Folsom fan, nor a DLS fan, yet, I was surprised.

My eldest son and I were at this game and when the 2 teams took the field, we were both thinking this is the game for the streak to be broken. Folsom's line was huge in comparison to DLS's. But, we recalled DLS teams have faced even bigger lines in past. Folsom's Joe Ngata, my son was saying "this guy is NFL ... now!" I even said he reminded me of size, athleticism, and speed of another Najee Harris or Shaq Thompson. How was DLS going to stop him, when so many other teams last year couldn't? Answer: great performance by Wallace and the DLS attack on the QB.

I even lost 3 bets with my son during this game (10 push-ups each): 1) Over/Under 60, I took the over. 2) With the 1st quarter ending 0-0, he bet me the half would end 0-0. 3) Into the 3rd quarter, who would score first? He took DLS. I took Folsom. I owe my son 30 push-ups and I did not take any more of his bets. LOL.

Kudos to both teams! Folsom's defense not too shabby, either. But, they did what was expected and flooded the box to stop the run. Instead, the DLS sophomore QB got to them via the air when it mattered. I can picture other teams with a better aerial game giving Folsom's D some fits. But, we will have to wait and see. Now, DLS's defense ... that was an amazing job! Folsom moved the ball, but DLS made the stops and forced the TO's when it mattered. And that's why DLS won.

Yes, I was very surprised with the low scoring affair, but most surprised in holding Folsom to ZERO points. Who does that? Oh wait, DLS does.

Pitt losing to CVC was a huge surprise, as well (my 10 point pick in last week's pick'ems). Who would have thunk it? Oh wait, CVC I am sure went into the game knowing they could win it. Just the rest of us didn't. LOL. I guess the follow up to this is ... is Pittsburg not that good? Or is CVC just that much better? I guess we will find out this week when Pitt hosts Noah May and the St. Mary's Rams. Should be a good one. Before I didn't think the Rams had a chance against Pitt. I am now second guessing think they do. We shall soon find out. GO SM RAMS!!!

Capital Christian scoring 34 points in 3rd quarter - I had predicted a CC win over CO but it was a hunch prediction. When CO outscored CC 30-6 in the first half, I figured the game had been set. It was only long after the fact I learned CC scored 34 unanswered points to start the second half. That was a big surprise.

Caught the replay on Access channel. I dont think CO led that big at half time, I think it was 27-13, but CC played absolutely awful in the first half and CO took advantage every time. CC fumbled inside their own 10 which CO converted into a TD, had a punt snap go out of the end zone for a safety, and CO ran the ensuing free kick back for a TD and CO also blocked a FG.

But as you said Capital took over in the 3rd Qtr, forcing turn overs and feeding RB D'Marcus Ross the ball. He was an absolute monster in the game. Looks like they were swapping QBs every series too, which might account for the slow start. Both ended up making nice throws for TDs.

Will say this though, I took a look at their schedule and they will be battle tested by the end of the year. Patterson next week, followed by Grant and Antelope before they start league play with the likes of Sac High, Christian Bros, Del Campo and Vista.

De La Salle dropped 31 on national powerhouse St. Johns last year. They scored 21 on national champ Mater Dei.

I'd say holding DLS to 14 points with a QB who could actually throw in their offense, is darn impressive for Folsom! VERY impressive.

However- you cant win without scoring points. Bad calls or not!

Week zero Suprises?
Well thats an easy one for me, My "Pickems contest" results!! Drum roll,,,,, 6 points!
Tough week to say the least. I went one for nine on opening week! Talk about an epic failure. But hey On a positive note i did score more points than folsom did in week zero . Just saying. Seriously though outside of my horrible performance id say i was suprised with how bad monterey trail beat sheldon.

I didn’t see any of the Monte Vista-Granite Bay game, but I’m not surprised by the score at all. GB’s defense was really good last season, one of the better ones in the section, but their offense is anemic. They’ve got to get that side of the ball figured out to beat programs the caliber of MV.

I didn’t see any of the Monte Vista-Granite Bay game, but I’m not surprised by the score at all. GB’s defense was really good last season, one of the better ones in the section, but their offense is anemic. They’ve got to get that side of the ball figured out to beat programs the caliber of MV.

I love the Granite Bay folks. They’ve got good coaches, an excellent program and great kids but their mixed offense of deception based schemes is a deterrent for good QB talent. I assume they designed their offense so they’re not dependent upon a QB but I think it will also keep them from developing and retaining a really good QB which would help them. They’re stud RB last year really made the difference for them on that side of the ball last season.

My Surprises are::

Vacaville's Offense
CVC win over Pitt
American Canyon, Napa & Vintage (knew that AC & Napa have new coaches this year)
I picked Vintage & AC to battle it out for their league
Vintage & Wood Game
Wood's Offense/Defense looks like they found their Qb and their OLine did well for their Rb's & Qb. Hopefully soon to see them "Air It Out "again.
Granite Bay & Monte Vista's low scoring game
DLS & Folsom's low scoring game
Monterey Trail over Sheldon
I was supposed to pick Indy
Del Oro

I love the Granite Bay folks. They’ve got good coaches, an excellent program and great kids but their mixed offense of deception based schemes is a deterrent for good QB talent. I assume they designed their offense so they’re not dependent upon a QB but I think it will also keep them from developing and retaining a really good QB which would help them. They’re stud RB last year really made the difference for them on that side of the ball last season.

They're still running fly aren't they? I believe Evans is an Ernie Cooper disciple and that they've still yet to change.
They've had some successful QB play from within that system (Keeney comes to mind). I just figure it's been a combination of talent and the fact that Cooper doesn't work with the Varsity kids everyday as frosh coach.

Whatever the deal is, their offense has been holding them back in recent seasons.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Big surprise to every Folsom fan and potentially many others (even some DLS fans ... ok, maybe not. lol) ... Folsom not scoring a single point against DLS. When was the last time the Folsom Bulldogs was SHUTOUT? Folsom's offense is good, very good. DLS's defense is GREAT! Not a Folsom fan, nor a DLS fan, yet, I was surprised.

My eldest son and I were at this game and when the 2 teams took the field, we were both thinking this is the game for the streak to be broken. Folsom's line was huge in comparison to DLS's. But, we recalled DLS teams have faced even bigger lines in past. Folsom's Joe Ngata, my son was saying "this guy is NFL ... now!" I even said he reminded me of size, athleticism, and speed of another Najee Harris or Shaq Thompson. How was DLS going to stop him, when so many other teams last year couldn't? Answer: great performance by Wallace and the DLS attack on the QB.

I even lost 3 bets with my son during this game (10 push-ups each): 1) Over/Under 60, I took the over. 2) With the 1st quarter ending 0-0, he bet me the half would end 0-0. 3) Into the 3rd quarter, who would score first? He took DLS. I took Folsom. I owe my son 30 push-ups and I did not take any more of his bets. LOL.

Kudos to both teams! Folsom's defense not too shabby, either. But, they did what was expected and flooded the box to stop the run. Instead, the DLS sophomore QB got to them via the air when it mattered. I can picture other teams with a better aerial game giving Folsom's D some fits. But, we will have to wait and see. Now, DLS's defense ... that was an amazing job! Folsom moved the ball, but DLS made the stops and forced the TO's when it mattered. And that's why DLS won.

Yes, I was very surprised with the low scoring affair, but most surprised in holding Folsom to ZERO points. Who does that? Oh wait, DLS does.

Pitt losing to CVC was a huge surprise, as well (my 10 point pick in last week's pick'ems). Who would have thunk it? Oh wait, CVC I am sure went into the game knowing they could win it. Just the rest of us didn't. LOL. I guess the follow up to this is ... is Pittsburg not that good? Or is CVC just that much better? I guess we will find out this week when Pitt hosts Noah May and the St. Mary's Rams. Should be a good one. Before I didn't think the Rams had a chance against Pitt. I am now second guessing think they do. We shall soon find out. GO SM RAMS!!!

Same thing I said a more balanced attack from dls and they would’ve put up a lot more points I don’t think folsom had anyone past 10 yards. It’s kinda why I’m more impressed with dls not allowing a point than Folsom only allowing 14. Jesuit will score more than 14 points

De La Salle dropped 31 on national powerhouse St. Johns last year. They scored 21 on national champ Mater Dei.

I'd say holding DLS to 14 points with a QB who could actually throw in their offense, is darn impressive for Folsom! VERY impressive.

Can’t compare the two teams just like you don’t wanna compare 2013 folsom with 2014. Dls had better rbs last year. No moral wins. That’s like saying any team that puts up 1 point on dls is better than folsom. Folsom has its chances and came up short, but if you sell out on the run you should stop the run which you guys did but couldn’t stop them from passing the ball. We will learn more about folsoms defense throughout the year. But for me I don’t see y’all staying within 4 tds if dls threw the ball more

but couldn’t stop them from passing the ball.
Under 100 yards passing the entire game. We were actually better on offense and defense stat wise. Turnovers and a botched call determined the game. Gotta overcome against a team that doesn't take many chances and controls the ball. End of story.

Folsoms D means trouble for these SFL teams. They would be very worried.

Reactions: Deltadodger
Under 100 yards passing the entire game. We were actually better on offense and defense stat wise. Turnovers and a botched call determined the game. Gotta overcome against a team that doesn't take many chances and controls the ball. End of story.

Folsoms D means trouble for these SFL teams. They would be very worried.

Keep in mind this is regarded as folsoms best and most athletic offense ever. That’s why Richardson wanted this game so badly to happen against this roster. I Cant find the stats for the game but seeing how much players Folsom put around the line of scrimmage the passes was there all game dls just didn’t call them enough could’ve been a vanilla playbook since they have tougher games ahead. Jesuit will be a tougher offense to defend not saying it’s better than dls offense but I’m sure they’ll look to spread the ball around to their big studs.

Speaking of sfl if folsom beats grant it will be at the line of scrimmage (not as big as usual)and not the perimeter athletes we have a man child or two of our own. This may shock some but grants weapons are just as or more impressive than folsoms. I do believe the younger Ngata will be folsoms highest rated player ever. I really like him as a player he should get the ball 20 times a game

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Jesuit will be a tougher offense to defend
I'm sure the 3 score differential this will likely be will say much different than this statement.

Speaking of sfl if folsom beats grant
If? C'mon man.

This may shock some but grants weapons are just as or more impressive than folsoms.
I dont even know of this warrants a response. Its that outrageous. DLSs coach stated that this Folsom team was one of the most talented they'd faced. I am sure hed say the same about Grant.

Big surprise to everyone- Folsom holding DLS to 14 points. A feat not accomplished by one team last season.

Not a surprise to me, but made for a great game!

Big surprise on CVC too! I hadn't given them a though of beating Pitt. Boy was I wrong. I am impressed with the Ugly Eagles! Kudos to them!

Bishop Gorman held DLS to 7 points last season.

I'm sure the 3 score differential this will likely be will say much different than this statement.

If? C'mon man.

I dont even know of this warrants a response. Its that outrageous. DLSs coach stated that this Folsom team was one of the most talented they'd faced. I am sure hed say the same about Grant.

He’s a classy coach what did you expect him to say. He’s going 2 face 3 more teams where he will say the same thing and you know it’s true. I know it’s new to folsom having great looking athletes on the perimeter but like I stated this bunch of athletes grant has this year is very impressive and as much as you drool over the size and speed of Joe Ngata we have an impressive athlete of our owns. He’s a little raw but he’s every bit as big and fast as joe. Folsom may be bigger on both lines this may be the first year grant isn’t big. But they aren’t getting a better grasp of running a spread offense at that should scare every sjs team cause stuffing the box is a thing of the past

Reactions: Sacchiefs
He’s a classy coach what did you expect him to say. He’s going 2 face 3 more teams where he will say the same thing and you know it’s true. I know it’s new to folsom having great looking athletes on the perimeter but like I stated this bunch of athletes grant has this year is very impressive and as much as you drool over the size and speed of Joe Ngata we have an impressive athlete of our owns. He’s a little raw but he’s every bit as big and fast as joe. Folsom may be bigger on both lines this may be the first year grant isn’t big. But they aren’t getting a better grasp of running a spread offense at that should scare every sjs team cause stuffing the box is a thing of the past
So what's your prediction?
Folsom 48-10?

Gotta prove y’all can score before you start making absurd predictions sir! Especially with this best folsom team ever
Really? That's the route your going to take? Not one person ever said this was the best Folsom team ever. However people like me did say they had the best chance to beat DLS out of the 3. And I was correct.

No prediction? I've stated mine.

Folsom 48--10

Last edited:
Really? That's the route your going to take? Not one person ever said this was the best Folsom team ever. However people like me did say they had the best chance to beat DLS out of the 3. And I was correct.

No prediction? I've stated mine.

Folsom 48--10

Pretty sure we could pull up threads of this but let’s not and I’ll make my prediction after game 7 who knows what our team will look like by then but it for sure won’t be a 38 point defeat book that

Granite Bay only scoring 3 points at home against Monte Vista.
Sheldon getting blown out by MT. First time Ewing beat Cattolico in over a decade.
Clovis West getting shutout at home against Central Catholic.
Cen10 blowing out Chandler, AZ. Prayers up for Pitt when they face Cen10.

Reactions: Deltadodger

I even lost 3 bets with my son during this game (10 push-ups each): 1) Over/Under 60, I took the over. 2) With the 1st quarter ending 0-0, he bet me the half would end 0-0. 3) Into the 3rd quarter, who would score first? He took DLS. I took Folsom. I owe my son 30 push-ups and I did not take any more of his bets. LOL.............

GO SM RAMS!!!

Is that 30 straight on with a running clock or will you be allowed a couple TO's if needed?

Reactions: observer22
30 straight. No TO’s. This is why I did not take on any additional bets the rest of the game. At age 57, 40 straight might give me a heart attack. LOL! You would think age 57 vs age 28, I should get 2 to 1 odds. Smh.

Cash...18,

C’mon man, can’t you let us the rest of us have a single thread to talk about anything except your Bulldogs? You know I’m a SJS section guy who was rooting hard for Folsom, but man, you make it hard for the rest of us. At some point, perhaps you should consider taking a breath and giving it a rest. For example, You got your “two cents” in on this thread at 2:53pm on Monday that You think Folsom’s defense was the surprise of the night...we get it. You made it clear. Yet because no one reacted to you the first time, you had to come back on and post almost identical comment and opinion less than two hours later, Why????? You just keep going on the same thing...broken record. It’s over. Sadly Folsom lost (and man did they have their chances), but it’s time to move on and maybe consider not hijacking every generic HS thread with Folsom rants/takes. Heck, even MtJohn thinks you’ve gone off the deep edge (old school reference for some of us long-timers).

Your a stat guy it appears (since you posted the same stats about Folsom’s defense and how many yards they limited DLS too no less than 10 times), so take a look at your own stats. Here’s one: You have 385 posts in 3+ weeks on what has to be your 4th or 5th screen name. If anyone was scouting you they’d use the word “predictable”. BTW, 385 posts is equal to about 15-20 posts a day, if you posted every day!!!! And if you ever skipped a day, it means youd are posting 30-40 times to just catch up.

C’mon...let’s all move on. One step at a time.

Last edited:
Cash...18,

C’mon man, can’t you let us the rest of us have a single thread to talk about anything except your Bulldogs? You know I’m a SJS section guy who was rooting hard for Folsom, but man, you make it hard for the rest of us. At some point, perhaps you should consider taking a breath and giving it a rest. For example, You got your “two cents” in on this thread at 2:53pm on Monday that You think Folsom’s defense was the surprise of the night...we get it. You made it clear. Yet because no one reacted to you the first time, you had to come back on and post almost identical comment and opinion less than two hours later, Why????? You just keep going on the same thing...broken record. It’s over. Sadly Folsom lost (and man did they have their chances), but it’s time to move on and maybe consider not hijacking every generic HS thread with Folsom rants/takes. Heck, even MtJohn thinks you’ve gone off the deep edge (old school reference for some of us long-timers).

Your a stat guy it appears (since you posted the same stats no less than 10 times), take a look at your ow stats. You now have 385 posts in 3+ weeks on what has to be your 4th or 5th screen name. If anyone was scouting you they’d use the word “predictable”. BTW, 385 posts is equal to about 15-20 posts a day, if you posted every day!!!! And if you ever skipped a day, it means youd are posting 30-40 times to just catch up.

C’mon...let’s all move on. One step at a time.
We got your Jesuit boys in 2 days my friend!

We got your Jesuit boys in 2 days my friend!

Once again, you get something stuck in your head, and just run with it. Because I have deep roots in Carmichael area, doesn’t make me a Jesuit fan although I’m glad you remember where I’m from. Although it is much easier to remember a particular members past when they keep their name and profile the same for 10 years, and don’t go changing profiles every few months just because they ruffled one too many feathers or wanted to pretend they were someone else (something you may know a few things about)

No, despite your penchant for wanting to hijacking every new thread on this sight with your constant repetitious posts about Folsom, I assure you I’ll still be rooting for the Bulldogs on Friday night to get back on their winnings ways.

Reactions: awood1
Once again, you get something stuck in your head, and just run with it. Because I have deep roots in Carmichael area, doesn’t make me a Jesuit fan although I’m glad you remember where I’m from. Although it’s easy to do when someone keeps their name and profile the same for 10 years, and doesn’t go changing profiles every few months because they ruffled one too many feathers or wanted to pretend they were someone else (something you may know a few things about)

No, despite your penchant for wanting to hijacking every new thread on this sight with your constant repetitious posts about Folsom, I assure you I’ll still be rooting for the Bulldogs on Friday night to get back on their winnings ways.
I am confused on the tangent. My apologies. I thought you were a Jesuit fan. Didnt mean to offend you.

Once again, you get something stuck in your head, and just run with it. Because I have deep roots in Carmichael area, doesn’t make me a Jesuit fan although I’m glad you remember where I’m from. Although it is much easier to remember a particular members past when they keep their name and profile the same for 10 years, and don’t go changing profiles every few months just because they ruffled one too many feathers or wanted to pretend they were someone else (something you may know a few things about)

I thought he was a DO parent?

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
For the record- of ANYONE can quote me saying I am a DO parent I will offer a 1k cash award.

I swear there are some weird cats on here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT