ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Friday Night Takeaways

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Just a few thoughts from Friday night's action:

Both CCS Open 1 finalists fall as Salinas lost to Carmel (36-23) and Milpitas fell to Dublin (22-21). Both took graduation losses, but Open 1 looks wide open.

Dublin moved to 2-0 on the heels of beating California in the playoffs last year. They should be 4-0 heading into the San Ramon Valley game.

Carmel had a lot of promise coming into the year with the vast majority of starters back. Huge win for Carmel beating a large school opponent

Merced has rolled to easy wins over Del Campo and Gregori and head coach Rob Scheidt collected career win No. 150 on Friday night.

Freshman quarterback Beau Green scored with 12 seconds left in Downey's 44-42 win over Manteca. Downey's offense in good hands for the coming years.

Cardinal Newman played its first home game since the 2017 fires. And the defense continued to play well in a 24-0 win over Sutter.

Folsom and Pittsburg bounced back from Week 0 losses with blowout home wins against Top 20 competition.

Oak Ridge and Del Oro have shown improved offense through two games. They are behind Folsom in forming the likely Top 3 in the SFL.

Reactions: ThunderRam
My week 1 observations:

1. DLS is still really good
2. Pitt is very good
3. The SFL is legit. The top 3 SFL teams really good. Grant will have a very tough time this year in that league.
4. Very surprised in regards to St Mary's. 48 points in the 1st half? I dont think this is they're year.
5. Is the WCAL alive this year? I guess we will see with Mitty vs Oakdale tonight. Should be an interesting game.
6. Marin Catholic shut out? First time in how long? Wow.

Great start to the season so far! Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Like I mentioned in another thread. Their offense is terrible! Couldn’t score last season and looks worse this season. Defense still looks formidable though.
Granite Bay has three seasons since 2001 where they started 0-2.
2003 losing first two to Lincoln of Stockton and Woodland
Season record of 9-3
Lost to Oak Ridge in second round of playoffs

2012 losing first two to Westlake and Oaks Christian
Season record of 13-3
State D1 Champs

2016 losing first two to Jesuit and Whitney
Season record of 4-7

First two 0-2 seasons under Cooper they responded with playoff and state champ teams

2016 under Evans they lost in first round playoffs to Grant

Too many other variables to make statement that Evans is a key factor in losing 2016 season but have to believe not having Cooper at the helm is a factor. Cooper is coaching freshman and has them point wise 70-6 in first two games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT