ADVERTISEMENT

When was the last a WCAL team was selected by fellow League Coaches 3 First Team players

2004 Serra
2005 Serra
2006 Mitty
2010 St Francis & Serra(AG second team freshman and Tyler Johnson MVP)
2011 Mitty(AG MVP)
2017 Bellarmine

2005 Serra beat a Kyle Spain and Newark Memorial during Nor Cal but fell to Amir Johnson(NBA) and Westchester by 20.

2006 Mitty with Drew Gordon got knocked off which led to one of the biggest upsets in state history, Jeremy Lin and Palo Alto. They beat MD Taylor King, The Wear brothers were freshmen, and they had a 7ft center that went to Arizona.

2010 St Francis lost to Lincoln San Diego. Mitty would have played St Francis in the Nor Cal Final but they lost in OT to the boys from Woodcreek in OT. That was a hell of a game. And 2010 was a good year for the WCAL. Serra was in D1 and lost to a very good San Ramon Valley team in the second round. SH got beat by 2 in the first round in D3.

2011 Mitty hung a banner. They had a bit of luck as Summit the 10th seed beat Lincoln the 1 seed in the SO Cal Final.

2017 Bellarmine for a bad seed against Sheldon. Sheldon then went on to beat Mitty and lost to Woodcreek. Unfortunately Woodcreek lost that year

As for state titles in the WCAL, the WCAL does not have an open or D1 banner. SI, Serra, Mitty(Open) and SI have lost. But the Wildcats did win one in 1926 led by head coach Frank Pinns Needles.

Division 2:

St Francis is 1-3, should have been 2-2, they lost to MLK by 1 and should have won that game. They did beat Tyshaun Prince and Dominguez when he was a freshmen. And man talk about a school of NBA talent in the boys from Compton

Prince
Tyson Chandler
Cedric Ceballos
Jordan Hamilton
Brandon Jennigs(ended up at Oak Hill where Luke Whitehead ended up, if you all don’t follow Luke he is doing great things in Louisville, look him up)
Dennis Johnson
Also Richard Sherman and a few other NFL guys, Hubie Brooks, and EAZY E AND MC REN. Wonder if they suited up for the Dons.

Division 3:

Riordan is 1-1, first year lost to Bishop Montgomery and the lighting quick and
USC’s Erik and Derikk aka Craven Twins. Following year went onto best Centennial of Compton with future NBA players Aaron Affalo and Gabe Pruitt. They were sophomores but I think the 80 plus Tofi tribe and relatives provided some intimidation.

SH is 1-2

Division 4:

Valley Christian did play the year before joining the WCAL. They got blasted by Jared Dudley and Allan Wiggins Jr(pops was a San Diego Padre and JR went to USF.

SH played the same school Horizon San Diego but lost as well. Dudley and Wiggins were gone.

As for the open the schools have some state girdle experience.

Riordan 1-1
Salesian 2-1(don’t think this is right)
Modesto Christian 2-3
Clovis North 0-1
Harvard Westlake 4-1
St Joseph 0-1

Reactions: Bitter Branson Fan
Riordan is actually 1-2 in the State Finals. in 1990 before Open division was created, D1 was the top division. Mater Dei beat Riordan by 2 points @ Oakland Coliseum Arena.

Reactions: bingobob
SHC lost a tough game to Allemany DIII 2012 state finals at the Old Barn (Arco). SHC was a little unlucky that year as Josh Fox hurt his leg / ankle in the WCAL finals vs Mitty (Aaron Gordon) at Foothill College as I recall. He wasn't 100% for the state finals or they'd have a(nother) state championship banner hanging on Ellis Street.

2004 Serra
2005 Serra
2006 Mitty
2011 Mitty(AG MVP)
2017 Bellarmine

2005 Serra beat a Kyle Spain and Newark Memorial during Nor Cal but fell to Amir Johnson(NBA) and Westchester by 20.

2006 Mitty with Drew Gordon got knocked off which led to one of the biggest upsets in state history, Jeremy Lin and Palo Alto. They beat MD Taylor King, The Wear brothers were freshmen, and they had a 7ft center that went to Arizona.

2010 St Francis lost to Lincoln San Diego. Mitty would have played St Francis in the Nor Cal Final but they lost in OT to the boys from Woodcreek in OT. That was a hell of a game. And 2010 was a good year for the WCAL. Serra was in D1 and lost to a very good San Ramon Valley team in the second round. SH got beat by 2 in the first round in D3.

2011 Mitty hung a banner. They had a bit of luck as Summit the 10th seed beat Lincoln the 1 seed in the SO Cal Final.

2017 Bellarmine for a bad seed against Sheldon. Sheldon then went on to beat Mitty and lost to Woodcreek. Unfortunately Woodcreek lost that year

As for state titles in the WCAL, the WCAL does not have an open or D1 banner. SI, Serra, Mitty(Open) and SI have lost. But the Wildcats did win one in 1926 led by head coach Frank Pinns Needles.

Division 2:

St Francis is 1-3, should have been 2-2, they lost to MLK by 1 and should have won that game. They did beat Tyshaun Prince and Dominguez when he was a freshmen. And man talk about a school of NBA talent in the boys from Compton

Prince
Tyson Chandler
Cedric Ceballos
Jordan Hamilton
Brandon Jennigs(ended up at Oak Hill where Luke Whitehead ended up, if you all don’t follow Luke he is doing great things in Louisville, look him up)
Dennis Johnson
Also Richard Sherman and a few other NFL guys, Hubie Brooks, and EAZY E AND MC REN. Wonder if they suited up for the Dons.

Division 3:

USC’s Erik and Derikk aka Craven Twins. Following year went onto best Centennial of Compton with future NBA players Aaron Affalo and Gabe Pruitt. They were sophomores but I think the 80 plus Tofi tribe and relatives provided some intimidation.

SH is 1-2

Division 4:

Valley Christian did play the year before joining the WCAL. They got blasted by Jared Dudley and Allan Wiggins Jr(pops was a San Diego Padre and JR went to USF.

SH played the same school Horizon San Diego but lost as well. Dudley and Wiggins were gone.

Riordan 1-1
Modesto Christian 2-3
Clovis North 0-1
Harvard Westlake 4-1
St Joseph 0-1
salesian is 2-1 0-5 in norcal open games
st joes 2-2
HW 4-1
riordan 1-2
clovis 0-1
modesto christian 2-3 . Been in open 9x and won only once

Last edited:
2004 Serra
2005 Serra
2006 Mitty
2011 Mitty(AG MVP)
2017 Bellarmine

Division 2:

Prince
Tyson Chandler
Cedric Ceballos
Jordan Hamilton
Dennis Johnson

Division 3:

SH is 1-2

Division 4:

Riordan 1-1
Modesto Christian 2-3
Clovis North 0-1
Harvard Westlake 4-1
St Joseph 0-1
Hasn't Bishop O'Dowd won a D1 State title or two? Seems like they should have some time in the past

Serra has a 2016 state title in D2 beating Long Beach Poly.
Good catch. That was an interesting year in the D2 bracket. A few higher seeds won including the 16 Temecula Valley
Riordan is actually 1-2 in the State Finals. in 1990 before Open division was created, D1 was the top division. Mater Dei beat Riordan by 2 points @ Oakland Coliseum Arena.

Typo. My bad on that. One of my groomsmen ASU finest was on the 1990 team.

They won the Open state championship with Rabb in 2015 at Berkeley.

Do you recall the girls game? That was an upset.
salesian is 2-1 0-5 in norcal open games
st joes 2-2
HW 4-1
riordan 1-2
clovis 0-1
modesto christian 2-3 . Been in open 9x and won only once

I am speaking of the St Joe south. Not the JKidd. Maybe I am wrong but if so that St Joe 2-2. Is so that’s impressive

Do you recall the girls game? That was an upset.

I am speaking of the St Joe south. Not the JKidd. Maybe I am wrong but if so that St Joe 2-2. Is so that’s impressive
My mistake St Joes Santa maria is 0-1 . Their girls are 2-1.
St Joes (jkidd) is 6-5 in state

Reactions: HSWIZARD73
Ripp POY? Head scratcher. If anything, Sensley and Ripp should have been co-MVPs. Mitty girls spiit the MVP.

WCAL All-League

POY Gavin Ripp – Senior – Archbishop Mitty
  • Zion Sensley Archbishop Riordan Senior
  • Jasir Rencher Archbishop Riordan Junior
  • Andrew Hilman Archbishop Riordan Sophomore
  • Gavin Ripp Archbishop Mitty Senior
  • Nathan Noronha Archbishop Mitty Senior
  • Raymond Whitley Saint Ignatius Sophomore
  • Ryan Pettis Junipero Serra Senior
  • Will Corbett Bellarmine Sophomore
  • Diego Martinez Valley Christian Senior

Ok having 3 out of 10 “first team” all leaguers is way different than having 3 out of 5. All great players, but all league has different meanings.

Last edited:
@ArmchairGOAT & @observer22 thank you for actually reading the question of the post.

I am starting to think that many posters, this year want to verbalize the point vs. having a dialog or informed debate.

I do want to express my personal appreciation for stay true to your truth prior to season vs end of season

Zion Sensley not getting player of the year is a joke.

Ripp is a great player, and we are happy to have him as a Torero next year

But personally I feel all Zions technicals made it so that none of the coaches would vote for him to send a message. And that doesn’t sit right with me.

Reactions: ARHS92

But personally I feel all Zions technicals made it so that none of the coaches would vote for him to send a message. And that doesn’t sit right with me.
The Torero’s have a history of getting the WCAL POY, but the WCAL is and has been brutal vs. Technicals Fouls and that being a factor for coaches voting. I think Sensely will get last word within WCC over and over again

Reactions: ayalar09
The Torero’s have a history of getting the WCAL POY, but the WCAL is and has been brutal vs. Technicals Fouls and that being a factor for coaches voting. I think Sensely will get last word within WCC over and over again
Or possibly the WCAL coaches are penalizing him for playing elsewhere the past 2 seasons?

Or possibly the WCAL coaches are penalizing him for playing elsewhere the past 2 seasons?
Yet Ripp transferred from Los Gatos to Mitty. At the time , you couldn’t blame Zion for leaving as that was during COVID and empty gyms. He wanted to return to finish his senior year at his HS.

Reactions: ayalar09
Yet Ripp transferred from Los Gatos to Mitty. At the time , you couldn’t blame Zion for leaving as that was during COVID and empty gyms. He wanted to return to finish his senior year at his HS.
I didn't realize Ripp wasn’t originally at Mitty.

IMHO, I have never seen WCAL punish a player transferring, ( Heck,…the WCAL has thrived off transfers) , maybe check a player for not having that suppose faith-based approach (I.e.. technical fouls, some would call it Too Much Edge)

For you true historian of WCAL, can anyone remember when the shoe falling on the other foot vis a stand off btwn Riordan vs Mitty for PoY Of the WCAL

ARHS stats,…. You can’t play😳😵‍💫😂

Last edited:
IMHO, I have never seen WCAL punish a player transferring, ( Heck,…the WCAL has thrived off transfers) , maybe check a player for not having that suppose faith-based approach (I.e.. technical fouls, some would call it Too Much Edge)

For you true historian of WCAL, can anyone remember when the shoe falling on the other foot vis a stand off btwn Riordan vs Mitty for PoY Of the WCAL

ARHS stats,…. You can’t play😳😵‍💫😂
Not sure of the year, but Drew Gordon vs. Rob Jones?

Not sure of the year, but Drew Gordon vs. Rob Jones?
that was 2007. Riordan and Mitty were the Round Robin Co-Champions, both won 12 games and lost 2 games, both teams won on their home court against the other team.

the message to not get techs? sounds like a teachable moment and how it should be. or you end up like drumunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

the message to not get techs? sounds like a teachable moment and how it should be. or you end up like drumunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
To be Frank,…to me that is more of your projections & a little bit of Hatoraide.

But that is just my opinion

Last edited:
that was 2007. Riordan and Mitty were the Round Robin Co-Champions, both won 12 games and lost 2 games, both teams won on their home court against the other team.
Your right Stats, but you were excluded in play, but the question was, “when did WCAL possibly send a message”?

@cityfan you win the “Oracle of the WCAL”,…@ARHS stats is ineligible in Raindeer games:Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: cityfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT