Enochs 2323
Monterey Trail 2288
Gregori 2264
River City 2250
Inderkum 2243
Cosumnes Oaks 2207
Armijo 2205
Del Oro (D1) 171

D2 (Winner of a D1 league from this list must play D1. I bolded the potential teams.)
Woodcreek 2186
Rocklin 2177
Bear Creek 2173
Lodi 2161
Pitman 2131
Jesuit 2124
Downey 2114
Granite Bay 2094
Bella Vista 2082
Central Valley 2079
Mc Nair 2076
Oakmont 2065
Tokay 2060
West 2043

Lincoln (L) 2018
Tracy (D2) 1999
Vacaville (D2) 1992
Grant (D2) 1985
Whitney (D2) 1959
Elk Grove (D2) 1879
St. Mary’s (D2) 794

Central Catholic (D2) 359

It will be interesting to see where Indy falls when it all shakes out. They have a shot at Section if they are in D2 especially with DO being forced up to D1.

It will be interesting to see where Indy falls when it all shakes out. They have a shot at Section if they are in D2 especially with DO being forced up to D1.
I think it is fairly likely that Inderkum does go D2. Cosumnes Oaks is the most likely potential playoff team to move down, but they are in re-building mode and sitting outside of the playoff rankings right now. CO has MT coming up and then the Delta schedule. They will need to win at least two more games AND get a solid boost in the Calpreps rankings. Tough ladder to climb, but not impossible.Young teams with new coaches often grow a lot over the course of the season.

If D2 teams win both the Delta (Elk Grove or Jesuit) and the Tri-City (St. Mary's, or Tracy), then Inderkum would move down even if CO makes the playoffs.

Don't think it matters. They already beat DO handily a couple weeks ago and would likely do so again based upon the speed disparity.

They had a real shot last season too. Think they would have beaten DO had they got by CC in that extremely tight game.

But they'll certainly be challenged by CC again regardless.

River City 2250
Inderkum 2243
Cosumnes Oaks 2207
Armijo 2205
Del Oro (D1) 171

You accidentally left a digit off DO's enrollment and because of where they are situated in that list, I at first thought the number was supposed to be '2171' -- which would have shocked me how quickly their enrollment grew.

But I double checked and realized it was last number that got cut off. :) 1700 is about what I expected.

Sorry about that. Cut and paste failure. They are D1 purely on success.

Oh I finally figured out it was a cut and paste issue. But it just caught me off guard at first. And I do realize they are D1 no matter what until further notice.

Heard a few teams have higher enrollment numbers due to special groups of students who would not entertain any athletic endeavor, is that true?

As I shared in a different thread, despite their smaller enrollment, St. Mary's will NOT be in D2 for playoffs:

The Rams "will be" an automatic-bid winning league. Count on it! Again, should a major upset take place this season and the Rams do NOT win league but still qualify for the playoffs, they will "still" be asked to play in D1 for playoffs due to the "Continued Success" rule, as the Rams have appeared in the semi-finals the last 2 seasons.

Here is the excerpt from the CIFSJS Constitution and Bylaws (Bylaw 2007.11) regarding Division Placement:

Divisional Placement
  • 1. Divisions. The qualifying teams will be placed in divisions in order of enrollment size. However, schools may not play more than one division below their league placement in realignment. If a school’s enrollment places them in a division that is two or more divisions below its league placement in realignment, that school will be moved up at least one division for playoffs.
  • 2. Section Champion From Previous Year. If a school wins a Section championship at a particular level, that school must play at or above that level the following year.
  • 3. League Champions. If a team wins a league championship (outright, or is the No. 1 seed by criteria), that team must play at or above the level of its league competition. For instance, if a school wins a championship in a D3 league but is D4 by enrollment, they would be forced to play D3 in that year’s playoffs.
  • 4. Three in a Row. Schools that win three championships in a row will be moved up one division. If that school wins again the following year at its new level, it will be moved again to Sac-Joaquin Section Constitution and Bylaws 118 the next higher level. Otherwise, the school will remain in that division until it wins three more in a row (moved up one more division).
  • 5. Continued Success. If a school has maintained continued success over several years but has not won three straight Section titles, the Section Commissioner (in consultation with the Executive Committee) may recommend to the board that a school be moved to a higher division. Continued success may include, but not be limited to, the following:
    • Section semifinalist or finalist for four or more years in a row with at least one Section title; or
    • Four Section titles in a span of six years. i. After a school has been moved to a level above its enrollment because of the three in a row rule or the continued success rule, that school may be moved down one level if the following occurs:
      • (a) The school misses the playoffs in any year; or
      • (b) The school fails to reach the semifinals in two consecutive years.
  • 6. A school is not allowed to play in a division lower than its enrollment.
  • 7. Bracket Size. Divisions I-III will be 16 teams. Divisions IV-VI will be 8 teams. Division VII will be six teams.
St. Mary's Rams were D1 champions 2016, D1 runner-ups in 2017 (losing to Folsom), and D1 semi-finalists in 2018 (losing to Folsom). Hence, the Rams fall under the Continues Success rule.

Since St. Mary's is essentially a D1 team, it stands that someone from D1 will be bumped down. Cosumnes Oaks and Inderkum are the most likely candidates.

The bottom five teams in D1 (that are eligible to move) from the smallest are Armijo, Cosumnes Oaks, Inderkum, River City, and Gregori.

Armijo and River City are highly unlikely to qualify for the playoffs. Cosumnes Oaks is a borderline team, so if they do not make the playoffs, Inderkum will be moved down and will be the presumptive favorite immediately.

If the winner of the Delta is also a D2 school (Elk Grove or Jesuit), then two teams would move down, coming from the smallest likely playoff teams: Cosumnes Oaks, Inderkum, and Gregori.

The next couple of weeks should really tell us something about Cosumnes Oaks' chances this season. They have Monterey Trail tomorrow and Sheldon next week. They don't necessarily have to win both those games, but two blow out losses would not bode well for their playoff chances.

I also predict that Tracy will place 3rd in TCAL league. Lincoln-Stockton has a pretty good team this year, led by a freshman QB and sophomore RB = currently 3-0 (vs Granada 35-0, Pitman 48-0, and Antioch 37-12). They "could" challenge St. Mary's playing at Lincoln's home field and snap the streak of 15 games straight losing to the Rams. I am saying "could" ... not "will". Last year the Trojans were ahead 20-14 in the first half before St. Mary's scored 34 unanswered points and won 48-20. Even if the Rams lose to Lincoln and place 2nd in TCAL, both teams will be playing in D1 for playoffs. Count on it!

Hence, the Rams fall under the Continues Success rule.
While I don't disagree with you, the SJS has not placed them in D1 in the brackets that were released like they did Del Oro. So not sure they will be forced to play D1 if they don't win their league.

They wont be forced to play D1. They are forced to play D2 and play in a D1 league, if they win league they will be D1, if they lose they will play D2, the CIF does not qualify them as continued success.

Reactions: EN_FB_Alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT