ADVERTISEMENT

Which team had the more impressive performance this past Friday night, Pittsburg or St. Mary's?

Who had the more impressive performance this past Friday night, Pittsburg or St. Mary's?

• St. Mary's Rams

• Pittsburg Pirates

Results are only viewable after voting.

ThunderRam

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2009
Having attended a game on Friday night, I didn't become aware of the close games Pittsburg played against St. John Bosco and St. Mary's played against De La Salle until very late in both those contests.

I actually did catch some of the SM-DLS game late Q3, early Q4 while the Rams held a 21-17 lead then caught the very end once it was decided. Conversely I haven't seen any of the SJB-Pitt game as yet, but know that it was only a 7-point game at half and a 14-point game heading into and throughout most of Q4 until the Braves punched in one last TD with under 2 minutes remaining.

Given the Spartans previous 3 games where they dominated Grant Union, Serra-SM, and Saint Francis -- the Rams potential upset bid came as a big surprise to me.

And it should go without saying that Pittsburg playing a relatively close, competitive game against Bosco was also super surprising. They fared much better than Serra-SM did, and really as well as any NorCal team has in several years.

So the question begs, which team had the more impressive performance?

Wow, that is a really tough one. I did see most of both games.

Given the entire season so far, I would have a no-doubt vote for Pitts. SM has had some good games but lost a head-scratcher with BM while Pitts smoked them.

Both teams performed very well Friday night. And I was impressed by both teams. Neither team appeared to fall into the subtle intimidation mindset that sometimes happens when playing a superior team. And in a way, SM has DLS' inside ticket based on past performances together.

Here's the trending data presented by CP for these two games. Pitts has a current rating of 56.6 and their performance rating with SJB was 62.2 which is almost a 6 point margin. SM has a current rating of 38.6 and the performance rating with DLS was 56.5 creating a 14 point margin. So CalPreps suggests SM had a more unexpected outcome.

SM had an impressive and surprising near loss with DLS. Pitts also had an impressive performance in its wider margin loss to SJB. If the question was which team had the most surprising performance, hands down, that was SM. In fact that might be one way to interpret the the word impressive. But I think of impressive as being a series of consistent great plays and when comparing SM best plays against Pitts best plays, and considering their opponents, I am leaning towards Pitts being more impressive Friday night than SM.

Last edited:
to answer the question though. it was saint marys by far.

truth be told, de la salle has a better team than bosco does this year (due to dls seniority vs. bosco's youth and losing best player) so saint marys doing what they did is infinitely more impressive.

plus pitt really should have WON that game so they underachieved as per usual. if they don't choke with that dumb play call they win running away.

saint marys by a mile and if they play each other in a regional game saint marys mops the field with them.

Reactions: Norcalguy111
Having attended a game on Friday night, I didn't become aware of the close games Pittsburg played against St. John Bosco and St. Mary's played against De La Salle until very late in both those contests.

I actually did catch some of the SM-DLS game late Q3, early Q4 while the Rams held a 21-17 lead then caught the very end once it was decided. Conversely I haven't seen any of the SJB-Pitt game as yet, but know that it was only a 7-point game at half and a 14-point game heading into and throughout most of Q4 until the Braves punched in one last TD with under 2 minutes remaining.

Given the Spartans previous 3 games where they dominated Grant Union, Serra-SM, and Saint Francis -- the Rams potential upset bid came as a big surprise to me.

And it should go without saying that Pittsburg playing a relatively close, competitive game against Bosco was also super surprising. They fared much better than Serra-SM did, and really as well as any NorCal team has in several years.

So the question begs, which team had the more impressive performance?
I would say ST Mary’s because they very well could have won that game, eventhough they play DLS every year and are familiar with them and usually play them pretty tough…. I thought DLS would roll them….

PITT I figured would score on SJB and play a closer frame then Serra because PITT has a good QB and skill players and a really good O-Line, possibly the best O-Line in Nor Cal…. But as expected SJB won by multiple TD’s but Awesome effort by PITT, who showed they are an Open Level Contender in Nor Cal!!!….

Outstanding effort by both teams, I am giving my vote to SM….

I would say ST Mary’s because they very well could have won that game, eventhough they play DLS every year and are familiar with them and usually play them pretty tough…. I thought DLS would roll them….

PITT I figured would score on SJB and play a closer frame then Serra because PITT has a good QB and skill players and a really good O-Line, possibly the best O-Line in Nor Cal…. But as expected SJB won by multiple TD’s but Awesome effort by PITT, who showed they are an Open Level Contender in Nor Cal!!!….

Outstanding effort by both teams, I am giving my vote to SM….
pitt is not an open contender. they have gotten destroyed, humiliated, and violated by de la salle as a tradition for over 30 years in a row and this year will be no different.

pitt is a strong 1aa or 1a contender though depending on how things shake out between, folsom, serra, and the central section d1. though i must remind everyone that pitt has always had very talented teams and that has resulted in exactly 0 state championships, and only 1 somewhat near miss. they always blow it at that point in the year.

Reactions: Norcalguy111
pitt is not an open contender. they have gotten destroyed, humiliated, and violated by de la salle as a tradition for over 30 years in a row and this year will be no different.

pitt is a strong 1aa or 1a contender though depending on how things shake out between, folsom, serra, and the central section d1. though i must remind everyone that pitt has always had very talented teams and that has resulted in exactly 0 state championships, and only 1 somewhat near miss. they always blow it at that point in the year.
PITT has not played DLS since PITT got their new coach…. They did not play last year because of the Dumb playoff set up in the NCS and SRV got the #2 seed over PITT, eventhough SRV lost to DLS in league….. Eventhough PITT was an undefeated league champ….

Hopefully PITT gets the #2 seed this year in the NCS open and they get their shot…. They can absolutely beat DLS this year if they play….. So yes, PITT is an open contender…..

PITT has not played DLS since PITT got their new coach…. They did not play last year because of the Dumb playoff set up in the NCS and SRV got the #2 seed over PITT, eventhough SRV lost to DLS in league….. Eventhough PITT was an undefeated league champ….

Hopefully PITT gets the #2 seed this year in the NCS open and they get their shot…. They can absolutely beat DLS this year if they play….. So yes, PITT is an open contender…..
pitt has had several coaches over the past 32 years. no matter what the story is always the same.

this year will be no different.

pitt has had several coaches over the past 32 years. no matter what the story is always the same.

this year will be no different.
You obviously know nothing…. They had Herc Pardi who was the last coach to Beat DLS, then Victor Galli who was there 21 years and now Ramirez who started in 2023…..

There may have been a coach in between Pardi and Galli, So that’s 3 or 4 coaches, over the last 30+ years, one of which beat DLS….

You obviously know nothing…. They had Herc Pardi who was the last coach to Beat DLS, then Victor Galli who was there 21 years and now Ramirez who started in 2023…..

There may have been a coach in between Pardi and Galli, So that’s 3 or 4 coaches, over the last 30+ years, one of which beat DLS….
yes that is the literal definition of the word "several" thanks for making my point for me. now list the scores of the games they've played the last 30 years.

heck, last time they played it was supposed to be pitt's "best team ever" with all the 4 and 5 star players, dls was in a down year, and STILL boatraced them almost running clock.

the facts are the facts.

Wow, that is a really tough one. I did see most of both games.

Given the entire season so far, I would have a no-doubt vote for Pitts. SM has had some good games but lost a head-scratcher with BM while Pitts smoked them.
About that BM game. That seemed like an anomaly. The game was freezing and raining. Rams starting a first year varsity QB starter, and the coaches seemed to lose trust in the pass game which is what they are better at. Special teams is a problem. For the BM they still should've won but they gave up a punt return for a TD and about an 80 yd kickoff return to the red zone ton setup another TD. If they cleaned up the special teams game they maybe they're undefeated right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT