ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Wraps Up Friday Night ! 11/3 Matchups

jordan24

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
Friday Night 9/22
  • Serra (3-0) @ Sacred Heart Cathedral (0-3) - Kezar Stadium
    • NorCal #1 Serra favored to win convincingly. Senior-led team with the best defense in NorCal against a plucky Irish team who graduated their top 3 playmakers on both sides of the ball. Serra 49 SHC 0
  • Archbishop Mitty (3-0) @ St. Francis (1-2)
    • Clash of arguably the 2 best running backs in the league in Mitty's Cenizal and the Lancer's super soph Keanaaina. SF played a brutal non-league and should have them ready as they will be favored at home. Mitty reloading after losing its QB and POY WR to graduation. St. Francis 24 Mitty 14
Saturday 9/23
  • St. Ignatius (2-1) @ Riordan (2-1) Gil Haskel Game
    • City rivals meet in SI Coach Vandermade's first WCAL contest. The 'Cats bring back their QB who came into his own mid season last year and also return its top WR. Riordan HC Ravipati enters his second season with a host of new and young talent and a strong returning core. Crusaders in a tightly contested battle over the 'Cats. Riordan 35 SI 24
  • Bellarmine (1-2) @ Valley Christian (3-0)
    • The Bells under new coach and alum David Diaz-Infante travel to the Hilltop to take on the Warriors. Both teams have something to prove. Bells have their senior QB leading the way. He can throw and run giving defenses fits. VC looking to immediately erase their 0-WCAL year with a team that was very young last year and had a undefeated non-league campaign. Warriors have a stud rb and a big line. I like the Bells in a close one. Bellarmine 21 Valley Christian 17

Friday Night 9/22
    • NorCal #1 Serra favored to win convincingly. Senior-led team with the best defense in NorCal against a plucky Irish team who graduated their top 3 playmakers on both sides of the ball. Serra 49 SHC 0
    • Clash of arguably the 2 best running backs in the league in Mitty's Cenizal and the Lancer's super soph Keanaaina. SF played a brutal non-league and should have them ready as they will be favored at home. Mitty reloading after losing its QB and POY WR to graduation. St. Francis 24 Mitty 14
Saturday 9/23
    • City rivals meet in SI Coach Vandermade's first WCAL contest. The 'Cats bring back their QB who came into his own mid season last year and also return its top WR. Riordan HC Ravipati enters his second season with a host of new and young talent and a strong returning core. Crusaders in a tightly contested battle over the 'Cats. Riordan 35 SI 24
    • The Bells under new coach and alum David Diaz-Infante travel to the Hilltop to take on the Warriors. Both teams have something to prove. Bells have their senior QB leading the way. He can throw and run giving defenses fits. VC looking to immediately erase their 0-WCAL year with a team that was very young last year and had a undefeated non-league campaign. Warriors have a stud rb and a big line. I like the Bells in a close one. Bellarmine 21 Valley Christian 17
I think I agree with all of these picks. Riordan-SI is the game of the week to me. Riordan is the favorite, but SI seems to be improving by the week. Bellarmine-Valley Christian is also intriguing. How good is VC? And where does Bellarmine's defense stand after giving up 40 to Mack and Monte Vista (two pretty good teams)?

Rivalry games are always tough to call. But I give Riordan the edge since they are the home team and this is Vandermade's first WCAL game. VC's non-league was not strong and their offense appears run-heavy once again. Bells QB can change the game iwith his arm and legs. Their non-league should have them prepared to edge the Warriors.

Reactions: Streak One
Rivalry games are always tough to call. But I give Riordan the edge since they are the home team and this is Vandermade's first WCAL game. VC's non-league was not strong and their offense appears run-heavy once again. Bells QB can change the game iwith his arm and legs. Their non-league should have them prepared to edge the Warriors.
Agree. Threatt is a difference maker for Bells

Friday Night 9/22
Saturday 9/23
Regarding SI at Riordan Saturday, one aspect is clear: SI has played a much tougher pre-league schedule than Riordan. No cheapies. No cupcakes. Riordan has had a much easier set of challenges over the last month or so. Compare the six records of the opponents involved.

Regarding SI at Riordan Saturday, one aspect is clear: SI has played a much tougher pre-league schedule than Riordan. No cheapies. No cupcakes. Riordan has had a much easier set of challenges over the last month or so. Compare the six records of the opponents involved.
This factor is exactly why computer ranking systems, like CalPreps, have SI rated higher than AR while human related polls or rankings, such as the Mercury News Bay Area Top 25, have AR higher than SI. Humans can see the talent potential of AR while computer systems simply look at the quality of results for games already played.

I am leaning toward a SI win BUT I keep looking for the AR talent to kick in. Maybe it will be this game when some of the transfers now become eligible to play.

This factor is exactly why computer ranking systems, like CalPreps, have SI rated higher than AR while human related polls or rankings, such as the Mercury News Bay Area Top 25, have AR higher than SI. Humans can see the talent potential of AR while computer systems simply look at the quality of results for games already played.

I am leaning toward a SI win BUT I keep looking for the AR talent to kick in. Maybe it will be this game when some of the transfers now become eligible to play.
I understand the SOP is 4 games. Next week will be their first game.

Reactions: FBAddict
I understand the SOP is 4 games. Next week will be their first game.
The Sit Out Period will be 50% of the total number days in that particular season of sport. The number of days in a season is determined by each Section in accordance with their first allowable competition date through the final regular season competition date. If total number of days in a season is an odd number, then the Sit Out Period would be 50% plus one additional day.

CCS Football sit-out period transfers become eligible Sept. 27. It's on the CCS Website.

This is the start to capturing the “Kings Of Kezar”….

More to come,…Stay Tune;)

The Sit Out Period will be 50% of the total number days in that particular season of sport. The number of days in a season is determined by each Section in accordance with their first allowable competition date through the final regular season competition date. If total number of days in a season is an odd number, then the Sit Out Period would be 50% plus one additional day.

CCS Football sit-out period transfers become eligible Sept. 27. It's on the CCS Website.
Good information. So I misunderstood that it was a specific number of games. According to this information, eligibility could occur either at game 5 or 6 in CCS depending when the subject school had their bye week.

Good information. So I misunderstood that it was a specific number of games. According to this information, eligibility could occur either at game 5 or 6 in CCS depending when the subject school had their bye week.
That is correct

Nope, still at AR. Probably because they ran out of cash to pay the rental fee since they gave it all out to their players. 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑
Plenty of cash to be made since Riordan has its own on-campus field. Not a City-owned playground and Kezar that SHC rents daily and subsidized by City taxpayers. ;). There may be more seagulls on SHC's side this Friday than fans.:p

Last edited:
Plenty of cash to be made since Riordan has its own on-campus field. Not a City-owned playground and Kezar that SHC rents daily and subsidized by City taxpayers. ;). There may be more seagulls on SHC's side this Friday than fans.:p
Yup SHC rents from the city. No secret there. Nothing like playing on natural turf at history Kezar than on injury-death trap field turf. Attendance numbers are meaningless at this level. Stop acting like any schools care about how many people walk through a turn style.

Yup SHC rents from the city. No secret there. Nothing like playing on natural turf at history Kezar than on injury-death trap field turf. Attendance numbers are meaningless at this level. Stop acting like any schools care about how many people walk through a turn style.
Have you ever gone to an on-campus football game?!? The entire Riordan community joins in. Let's see...Ticket sales go to the school, not rental. Concessions go to school. Alumni tailgate revenue goes to the school. Fan gear goes to the school. Kids from the area schools and junior football programs come see the School....The Bruce-Mahoney doesn't count as it's really a victory party for SI. It's now diluted with so many other games just to give SHC a chance. lol

Have you ever gone to an on-campus football game?!? Let's see...Ticket sales go to the school, not rental. Concessions go to school. Alumni tailgate revenue goes to the school. Fan gear goes to the school. Kids from the area schools and junior football programs come see the School....The Bruce-Mahoney doesn't count as it's really a victory party for SI. It's now diluted with so many other games just to give SHC a chance. lol
Diluted? You're showing your true colors GOAT. More like giving females an equal opportunity to participate in the tradition rather than bend over to the same good ol' boys club.

So what youre saying is fans --> revenue --> school --> pockets of mercenaries, i mean athlete/students, i mean the school. Got it ;)

Diluted? You're showing your true colors GOAT. More like giving females an equal opportunity to participate in the tradition rather than bend over to the same good ol' boys club.

So what youre saying is fans --> revenue --> school --> pockets of mercenaries, i mean athlete/students, i mean the school. Got it ;)
you might want to ask those "mercenaries" parents who was trying to bring them to their school and trying to throw another school under the bus. straight from the parents and why they chose elsewhere.

you might want to ask those "mercenaries" parents who was trying to bring them to their school and trying to throw another school under the bus. straight from the parents and why they chose elsewhere.
because duh! 💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰💵💰

... for what its worth GOAT, im not against this. this is what the system is now. And I'd like nothing more than to see the brotherhood lay the smack down on those cherries.

Is the SI vs. Riordan game now moved to Kezar?
My man, being a city boy this should not be SO….
Is the SI vs. Riordan game now moved to Kezar?
No silly Rabbit and Lucky Charms are still for kids….

I am constantly amazed in how even little city kids forget the significance of what the “Kings of Kezar” represents.

The “ game of City thrones “ begin Saturday;LMAO

Do you understand Sheldon:)

If the mythical King doesn't rule, or even play regularly, at Kezar anymore where does he control his realm? Where does he hang his bejeweled orb? Brotherhood Way? Phelan Avenue (oops)? Maiden Lane? Help us out here.

I think the "King of Kezar" is going the way of "Football," The Olympics, Jazucci, Frigidaire, and Hiesman. Its just a name derived from a colloquial reference.

I think this is a case of David vs Goliath. SI is a small team outside of their blue chip OT John Mills while Riordan comes in with huge size and athleticism.
SI has been punching well above their weight class during the preseason and they're going to do it again on Saturday.

SI 35 - Riordan 31

I think the "King of Kezar" is going the way of "Football," The Olympics, Jazucci, Frigidaire, and Hiesman. Its just a name derived from a colloquial reference.
You know FBAddict,
I think you might have a little Irish Blood line, thus a fellow countryman,…you understand the limerick and rhymes of the old country.

I am sorry the “Sheldon” takes things SO literal;there is no poetry in his soul:LMAO

Note: I do hope that Sheldon comes by and sees the @Myersfield since his knowledge of Riordan campus has dirt infield over lapping the football field;Lol.

#NewAttitude
#NextEpisode

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
WCAL is a one team race, question is who will come in second?
It won't be Sacred Heart. I just seen their coach go for it on 4th down and turn the ball over on their 10 yard line. It was still early with Serra only up by 7. Now its a blowout. Terrible game management.

It won't be Sacred Heart. I just seen their coach go for it on 4th down and turn the ball over on their 10 yard line. It was still early with Serra only up by 7. Now it’s a blowout. Terrible game management.
Rough season ahead for SHC I don’t see them winning a game in WCAL. Seriously who can they beat?

Rough season ahead for SHC I don’t see them winning a game in WCAL. Seriously who can they beat?
Rough indeed. Tough to replace what they had last year in their senior class and what they brought every game. They are not that kind of program that will have a Mixon and Miller in every year. Still love what Coach Evans and his staff are doing there. Next season will be a bounce back for sure.

It won't be Sacred Heart. I just seen their coach go for it on 4th down and turn the ball over on their 10 yard line. It was still early with Serra only up by 7. Now its a blowout. Terrible game management.
I think the guy was in punt formation and there was a bad snap, forcing the punter to run.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I think this is a case of David vs Goliath. SI is a small team outside of their blue chip OT John Mills while Riordan comes in with huge size and athleticism.
SI has been punching well above their weight class during the preseason and they're going to do it again on Saturday.

SI 35 - Riordan 31

Well, they ran into Mike Tyson today....Mike with the black trunks and part that is.

Also, not buying David vs. Goliath. SI is the older team. Riordan has a ton of Freshmen and Sophomores playing varsity ball.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
You know what the Moose on the table is….”everyone expects Riordan to shoot themselves IN their own foot. But before we get into that,

I want to give a SHOUT OUT to to the Riordan alumni for showing up today. I took the time to thank some of them I knew, to acknowledge; “ that this program’s success will be always on their shoulders “ and to show up and support this new attitude is the mantra;” Crusader4life “,… IS real talk.

But I also have to admit the old Riordan initially took the field with penalties and miscues IN the first qtr.

However the mythical bag that @iamgearyblvd refers to was located and when the Riordan Coaching staff looked into it? They found Coach Primes clinic NOTES of “Dawgs and Leaders” and reminded Riordan players who they were/are,…

The rest is history and Riordan demonstrated some “Bobby Fisher” like correct Chess Moves to start the process of capturing the “King of Kezar”

Special shout Out: to the wisdom of playing Prince’s; Purple Rain after team fight song and trophy presentation.

Timing was pure class!!!

#newattitude,nextepisode
#.KingsOfKezar

41-34 Riordan

Last edited:
Impressive stats by the Crusaders. Just for comparison - Mitchell put up more yards than SRV's Baker against SI and had more total rush yards. The improving Crusader defense also held SI to less overall yards than SRV. If not for the turnovers that gave SI TDs and a FG, this game would have been lopsided.
Next week the Crusaders welcome 3 new players - OL Jr. Peter Langi, WR/S Jr. Moses Vaneuku and soph. WR/DB Judge Nash. The new players have certainly made their mark, but it's Riordan's freshman and sophomores that really impressed yesterday. This team is very young. Frosh RB Tuugamusu had 5 rushing TDs. (He did not play against St. Bonaventure) Frosh DE David Lee had a sack and TFL. Soph Mitchell continues to put up big numbers and lead the team and soph LB Skylar Tiatia came up with some TFLs, breakup of a pass in the 4th and sealed the game by recovering the SI onside kick. I expected a physical spirited game, but this one got out of hand. lol. I heard an SI coach was ejected as result of an unsportsmanlike penalty. Valley Christian visits San Francisco next week looking for revenge from last year.

View: https://x.com/KasselMedia/status/1705847932048888021?s=20

Last edited:
I was at the BCP@VC game. The parents of kids near me playing varsity concurred that Serra was going to be the biggest challenge and Riordan was going to the be next biggest challenge. From there it was mixed of who was the next biggest challenge among SF or SI. But from that interface, I have to concur that very likely Riordan WILL BE #2 in WCAL.

Sad to say I did not follow the AR crowd crowning the Crusaders as the #2 WCAL team of 2023. But it now seems apparent to me that Riordan will be high in the WCAL rankings. I will tentatively place VC at around #4-#6.

Quick guess:
#1 Serra
#2 Riordan (AR) or SF
#3 SF or AR
#4 SI
#5 VC
#6 Mitty (AM)
#7 BCP
#8 SHC

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I was at the BCP@VC game. The parents of kids near me playing varsity concurred that Serra was going to be the biggest challenge and Riordan was going to the be next biggest challenge. From there it was mixed of who was the next biggest challenge among SF or SI. But from that interface, I have to concur that very likely Riordan WILL BE #2 in WCAL.

Sad to say I did not follow the AR crowd crowning the Crusaders as the #2 WCAL team of 2023. But it now seems apparent to me that Riordan will be high in the WCAL rankings. I will tentatively place VC at around #4-#6.

Quick guess:
#1 Serra
#2 Riordan (AR) or SF
#3 SF or AR
#4 SI
#5 VC
#6 Mitty (AM)
#7 SHC
I’d say you are spot on. How the teams improve week to week and stay free from injury will be keys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT