ADVERTISEMENT

Whitney QB Transferring

Dec 4, 2019
Word is from some reliable sources Whitney Junior QB Eli Brickhandler plans to transfer for his senior season. Rumor is he plans to go to Pittsburg High School, but not 100% sure on where he is going to end up. Looks like Whitney will be looking for a new QB moving forward.

I can't speak to the validity of this, but this would be really big news. And a very interesting move from Whitney to Pittsburg. Not the usual transfer move.

Interesting move indeed. Didn’t Whitney go to the section championship too?

Reactions: THEOC89
I have zero insight into this situation, but we have to always consider the fact that these athletes are children first. Sometimes families move and take their kids with them. It happens.

Like I said, I have zero insight into this specific case.

Word is from some reliable sources Whitney Junior QB Eli Brickhandler plans to transfer for his senior season. Rumor is he plans to go to Pittsburg High School, but not 100% sure on where he is going to end up. Looks like Whitney will be looking for a new QB moving forward.
Did you join NCP today to post that? Nice debut! Hehehehe

Ya I know a few kids on the Whitney team and many of them say that he is leaving . They also told me that him and his dad have had issues with people around the community and that could be one of the biggest reasons for leaving.

I have zero insight into this situation, but we have to always consider the fact that these athletes are children first. Sometimes families move and take their kids with them. It happens.

Like I said, I have zero insight into this specific case.

Definitely. Could be a legit family move.

I know the Dad and kid from camps. The Dad is gregarious but solid. The kid is a great kid and should get looks. Not sure if you noticed but outside of a couple of schools the Bay Area is poorly recruited. Look at Sac State they offered a SoCal QB that played with a D1 Colorado commit in an extremely bad league. He tore it up. There are probably a half dozen NorCal QBs better than him. Pitt definitely has the athletes to showcase his ability.

Reactions: THEOC89
What I have heard is more in line with what SFLguy26 states...IMO the bay area has always been well recruited?

Ya I know a few kids on the Whitney team and many of them say that he is leaving . They also told me that him and his dad have had issues with people around the community and that could be one of the biggest reasons for leaving.
Oddly, Whitney appears to now be a wide open throwing team, must be influences outside the program. Will this be the 2nd QB Whitney has lost in past year?

Oddly, Whitney appears to now be a wide open throwing team, must be influences outside the program. Will this be the 2nd QB Whitney has lost in past year?
Whitney is in trouble in the coming years. This years class was very strong and next years ok. Soph down is a big concern. The Youth will continue to lose kids to Rocklin if their youth program changes guards.

Whitney will be fine. Good coaches and a good culture can mask talent. Junior program has been down for years, I am sure this staff has plans to resurrect it. Sophomore class down ? I saw on max preps that 3 sophomores started on varsity and as freshman they went 5-5 in the sfl . Not too worried moving forward. Whitney also had success this year, making a section final and beat both local schools which will attract more people to Whitney. I am excited to see this program continue to grow as the area around the school is growing exponentially.

Whitney’s QB has played for DO, Woodcreek, Roseville, Rocklin and Whitney programs since juniors.

You can draw your own conclusions about who is behind it. Good riddance.

Whitney barely snuck into the play offs with 4 wins and revenged some loses in the play offs. The team best players are seniors if you’ve been to some Whitney games you’ll know why the dad would transfer his son out of Whitney and maybe to another sfl team. He believes his son is the Whitney program. If Folsom didn’t get the Washington transfer I’m sure he’d send his son to Folsom

@forgotemail name a team where the best players are not seniors? Every teams best players in high school are seniors for the most part. I have been to three home Whitney games this year and his son is definitely not the program. At two of those three games Whitney lost and the QB dad almost got into a fight with another spectator every time. Yelling obscene things at the coaches and about other kids on the team. I believe the kid is transferring because people are fed up with the antics of all of that stuff and they see it just like other people within the community do.

Not to be a jerk but must be a slow week. Kid is a good HS player with quick feet but i saw terrible decision making and ill advised throws the 2 games I watched him in person. Again nice HS player but this thread makes it seem like Whitney lost Elway.

Being someone who is not super connected to the program but I know enough people their to have some insight into what people are talking about, especially living in Rocklin . The best thing for Whitney moving forward would be the QB leaving. Too much excess drama with the kid and his dad. And I agree with you @larry legend33 . Decision making and I’ll advised plays by the QB hurt Whitney in many games. Curious to see where he ends up transferring.

Whitney will be fine. Good coaches and a good culture can mask talent. Junior program has been down for years, I am sure this staff has plans to resurrect it. Sophomore class down ? I saw on max preps that 3 sophomores started on varsity and as freshman they went 5-5 in the sfl . Not too worried moving forward. Whitney also had success this year, making a section final and beat both local schools which will attract more people to Whitney. I am excited to see this program continue to grow as the area around the school is growing exponentially.

So I looked at Maxpreps and came away with a different look?
Lets start with the Frosh....1-7 record....out scored 304-41?
JV 1-8 record....out scored 387-92
RHS vs WHS JV/Frosh combined score was 111-9...
DO vs WHS JV/Frosh combined score 83-7

Youth program could not field 4 teams....in one of the fastest growing communites in the region?

The 3 sophomores pulled up played minimal time....with making no significant contributions......I am only going by the stats listed in Maxpreps since I have no first hand knowledge......I do know that one of their QB's transferred out to DO last season.....Now this year the starter is leaving? From the outside looking in that doesnt bode well.

I heard the QB who went to DO left because Brickhandler was named the starter . He did not want to sit for two years. Also new coaches means new staffs and new concepts will take some time to get all levels up to par. I’m excited about what’s happening at Whitney. It’s not like Whitney has ever been a powerhouse. What they did this year after what the staff took over is nothing short of miraculous.

Reactions: Santa Ball
If I remember correctly WHS raced to a section title faster than any school in state history?
Played for Sections in two of its first three years. Went 1-1? The programs first HC went to the playoffs in 9 of its first 10 years.....They had the section rushing champion....to say the school has not had success is an understatement....The fall off under Doherty and than the 0-10 debacle should never have happened....

When I say not a lot of success I mean against division 1 and Division 2 competition. Whitney has more wins against sfl teams this past year then all the years combined since the school opened. Not making runs in DIV against teams like amador. And the 0-10 debacle should have happened . Any coach who took over after the non sense Doherty put the program through. And then joining the SFL and playing the toughest schedule in the entire SJS. 1 win last year would have been a victory. I can tell WWHS44 is not a fan of Whitney, but you have to put things in perspective.

Looking ahead all I can say being a member of the Rocklin community and my kids who will go to Whitney, this year was the most fun I have had going to Whitney games in years. I have a lot of trust in the coaches they hired and I think the program is in good hands.

Reactions: WWHS44
If I remember correctly WHS raced to a section title faster than any school in state history?
Played for Sections in two of its first three years. Went 1-1? The programs first HC went to the playoffs in 9 of its first 10 years.....They had the section rushing champion....to say the school has not had success is an understatement....The fall off under Doherty and than the 0-10 debacle should never have happened....

Mike Gimenez went 1-9 his last year (lots of injuries), but if you are going to hold this staff to a standard that 0-10 shouldn't happen, 1-9 shouldn't happen either.

When I say not a lot of success I mean against division 1 and Division 2 competition. Whitney has more wins against sfl teams this past year then all the years combined since the school opened. Not making runs in DIV against teams like amador. And the 0-10 debacle should have happened . Any coach who took over after the non sense Doherty put the program through. And then joining the SFL and playing the toughest schedule in the entire SJS. 1 win last year would have been a victory. I can tell WWHS44 is not a fan of Whitney, but you have to put things in perspective.

Not to re-open old wounds, but what nonsense did Doherty put Whitney through? I am asking out of curiousity and from a place of complete ignorance of the situation. Also, if Doherty was responsible for "nonsense," how did he get the Folsom job?

Again, I am not doubting your statements--I just don't know anything about this situation. Being an MT supporter all those years, I tended to pay attention to Delta League teams, Division 1, and general happenings in the southern part of the Metro area.

".The fall off under Doherty and than the 0-10 debacle should never have happened...."

Please read the complete sentence......never do I implicate that this was the new staffs complete fault.

Answered my own question. I found the Sac Bee article on the accumulation of minor infractions and the unfortunate timing of his resignation/termination.

The internet has its uses.

".The fall off under Doherty and than the 0-10 debacle should never have happened...."

Please read the complete sentence......never do I implicate that this was the new staffs complete fault.

But you are glossing over the fact the program bottomed out a year before Doherty took over.

I have no issues with Whitney football ...NONE....I have only responded with FACTS....posted by maxpreps....btw WHS was not in the SFL in it's early years....It was a start up school with Frosh/JV teams only? Much like many new schools?

All I knows is Rocklin has a great class of fresh-seniors right now. Hoop team was 27-6 and off to 4-0 start. They have tons of underclassman. Baseball team has at least 7 d1 players. Football is on the up. Good season and strong lower grades. Rocklin is going to rule the 80 corridor in the next few years.

But you are glossing over the fact the program bottomed out a year before Doherty took over.

Doherty inheirted probably the most talented team the school has ever fielded.....3 of those guys play at UCD.....The team that was suspended was loaded.....I think you may have glossed over that or just didn't know???

So I looked at Maxpreps and came away with a different look?
Lets start with the Frosh....1-7 record....out scored 304-41?
JV 1-8 record....out scored 387-92
RHS vs WHS JV/Frosh combined score was 111-9...
DO vs WHS JV/Frosh combined score 83-7

Youth program could not field 4 teams....in one of the fastest growing communites in the region?

The 3 sophomores pulled up played minimal time....with making no significant contributions......I am only going by the stats listed in Maxpreps since I have no first hand knowledge......I do know that one of their QB's transferred out to DO last season.....Now this year the starter is leaving? From the outside looking in that doesnt bode well.
Whitney's Frosh's sole win was against Woodcreek and they brought several Sophmore's down due to a JV bye. The best frosh athlete in the school quit the Frosh squad early and he was a great QB.I think at some point Whitney will get it going, but not for a while.

Reactions: WWHS44
6-5 was dohertys best record in the CVC and never won a playoff game at Whitney.

Your of lack history of WHS hampers your view of the program as a whole.

Doherty was fired as the coach in 2016...The senior led team of 2017 would have hands down been the best team in history but to no avail. The coach was removed and the team suspended from the 2017 playoffs before the season began....An interim staff was put in place....They had nothing to play for and I am sure the staff struggled to get the most out of them bc of the suspension.

As far as WHS never beating any D1, D2 or D3.....You are incorrect. Check Max Preps schedule and see victory's over Lincoln (which WHS lost to once this season) Having defeats over Placer, Manteca, Oakmont, Rocklin, Christian Brothers, Vintage and a 1 TD loss to Oakdale......All programs with strong football history....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT