ADVERTISEMENT

Why are high school football hold-backs celebrated as true underclassmen?

FBIQ

Sports Fanatic
Nov 21, 2019
Colleges usually announce redshirt players by stating their redshirt status first; the red-shirt sophmore or the red-shirt junior. Why is this not a thing in high school football?

In high school a hold back sophmore playing on a varsity team is really a junior from a mental and physical standpoint, so why act as though these players are the same as their class peers?

Doesn't this create an unfair advantage for students who are not held back?

Reactions: RidgeRider
Probably for the same reason colleges don't acknowledge hold back HS players that are Red shirted as Double Red shirt players. It happens before they got there.

Reactions: StateFarmShaman
Colleges usually announce redshirt players by stating their redshirt status first; the red-shirt sophmore or the red-shirt junior. Why is this not a thing in high school football?

In high school a hold back sophmore playing on a varsity team is really a junior from a mental and physical standpoint, so why act as though these players are the same as their class peers?

Doesn't this create an unfair advantage for students who are not held back?
Interesting thought. We call them "SUPER 8" up in the 916. They spend a year at Marble Valley School in El Dorado Hills repeating 8th grade. I think Austin Mack is one of the few players from Folsom who was actually in their correct grade and he graduated early which makes him young. Very rare.
Its not even a secret anymore. The public schools won't allow it because of funding and no kid left behind but plenty of privates are all over that money train.
Its a huge advantage in 8th-10th grade. Massive because a 16 year frosh/soph is light years more developed than a 14 year old one. Its levels out by senior year but from a recruiting standpoint and getting noticed early in the process its basically what you need to do unless you have god given size. Its like the roid era in baseball.

Interesting thought. We call them "SUPER 8" up in the 916. They spend a year at Marble Valley School in El Dorado Hills repeating 8th grade. I think Austin Mack is one of the few players from Folsom who was actually in their correct grade and he graduated early which makes him young. Very rare.
Its not even a secret anymore. The public schools won't allow it because of funding and no kid left behind but plenty of privates are all over that money train.
Its a huge advantage in 8th-10th grade. Massive because a 16 year frosh/soph is light years more developed than a 14 year old one. Its levels out by senior year but from a recruiting standpoint and getting noticed early in the process its basically what you need to do unless you have god given size. Its like the roid era in baseball.

That's crazy, I knew it was happening a lot but I didn't realize it was at that level. I thought it was only certain schools that did this.

Interesting that Marble Valley even has a separate tuition line for Super 8 kids. Looks like they don’t have classes in the afternoon. Do they just train for their sport during that time?

Do you think the state should look at changing the age that children start school? If this is good for a few students why not offer it to everyone? The simple fix is to have all students start school a year later.

Do you think the state should look at changing the age that children start school? If this is good for a few students why not offer it to everyone? The simple fix is to have all students start school a year later.
I don't think so. And actually they did change this years ago. Back when I played if you were a Sept birthday you woudl start school and graduate HS at 17. Now you are in the later class and grad HS at 18. Its really gamed in sports at the more promient schools, and how many HS students are playing sports overall at a typical public school with 2k students? 5-10%? Obviously at a private its a much > %.

And I'm sure each area has a marble valley because this isn't unique by any means. I don't know what the typical kid does who gets held back in the bay area but my guess is if they come from a public they can go to a private in the same grade fairly easy. Make up some BS excuse.

You should never be allowed to play HS sports at 19. That is my cutoff. If you turn 19 during the school year sorry you can't play.

The idea is for these kids to get an advantage over the normal-age kids. If everyone does it, there is no advantage.

There are still some stars who are young for their grade. It was remarked on by a few commentators during UCLA broadcasts that Nio Mafi (Serra) was playing for the Bruins as a 17-year-old.

The idea is for these kids to get an advantage over the normal-age kids. If everyone does it, there is no advantage.

There are still some stars who are young for their grade. It was remarked on by a few commentators during UCLA broadcasts that Nio Mafi (Serra) was playing for the Bruins as a 17-year-old.
That was sort of my point during the "roid" era of baseball. It was a level playing field basically. You will be hard pressed to find a superstar now who is either young or in the correct grade.

Kaleb Edwards from Oak Ridge the big stud national recruit is actually young and in the correct grade. He's an exception. If I'm a recruiter I look at him with a higher ceiling than a 19-year-old.

And there is a huge difference in development. I know a couple HS seniors who are going off to play in college next year and they are literally different people than they were at the beginning of senior year. One kid played at 215 and now he's 240. The dad was saying if he would have super 8 him it would almost be dangerous. There comes a point where you shouldn't be playing in HS.

I don't think so. And actually they did change this years ago. Back when I played if you were a Sept birthday you woudl start school and graduate HS at 17. Now you are in the later class and grad HS at 18. Its really gamed in sports at the more promient schools, and how many HS students are playing sports overall at a typical public school with 2k students? 5-10%? Obviously at a private its a much > %.

And I'm sure each area has a marble valley because this isn't unique by any means. I don't know what the typical kid does who gets held back in the bay area but my guess is if they come from a public they can go to a private in the same grade fairly easy. Make up some BS excuse.

You should never be allowed to play HS sports at 19. That is my cutoff. If you turn 19 during the school year sorry you can't play.
I thought that 19 year-olds were not allowed to play in California? At least I think it was that way when I was in high school, although that was a long time ago.

I thought that 19 year-olds were not allowed to play in California? At least I think it was that way when I was in high school, although that was a long time ago.
No student whose 19th birthday is on or before June 15th shall participate or practice on any team in the following school year. So you can have a June 16th birthday and turn 19 right after your jr year and play all of senior year at 19 and graduate HS at damn near 20!

No student whose 19th birthday is on or before June 15th shall participate or practice on any team in the following school year. So you can have a June 16th birthday and turn 19 right after your jr year and play all of senior year at 19 and graduate HS at damn near 20!

Thats crazy, where did you find that rule?

Thats crazy, where did you find that rule?
CIF bylaws. Trust me there are plenty of old 18 year olds and kids that turn 19 during the season. I would bet the majority of the kids ranked in the top 50 on this board are on the older side.

Read the book "Outlier". Malcolm Gladwell talks about this age advantage and uses the Canadian Hockey cutoff as an example.

CIF bylaws. Trust me there are plenty of old 18 year olds and kids that turn 19 during the season. I would bet the majority of the kids ranked in the top 50 on this board are on the older side.

Read the book "Outlier". Malcolm Gladwell talks about this age advantage and uses the Canadian Hockey cutoff as an example.
It's doping, plain and simple.

I think the CIF should make it a rule that ages/D.O.B is listed on team rosters. This way coaches can try to devise a plan to keep their younger players safe. No way a 16 year old kid should be on the field with a 19 year old kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT