ADVERTISEMENT

Will Serra Change their Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
With everything going on in the World right now, I first off hope everyone is safe, healthy, and doing the best they can during these tough times. Friend or Enemy, this is some really tough stuff we are going through right now.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...ro-serra-george-washington-francis-scott-key/

Barring something crazy happening, it looks like Serra will change the name of their school. Personally I'd love to see them name the school Tom Brady High School or Barry Bonds High School, but it probably won't happen.

Any idea of what the new name of the Serra Padres will be?

I doubt this'll really happen (just on a hunch), but St. Matthew Catholic HS seems pretty safe, considering that San Mateo means the exact same thing... They could even remain the Padres that way.

Here's another one for you: If American historians are correct, Thomas Jefferson owned well over 100 slaves on his Virginia estate right through to the time of his demise. Should the Jefferson Union High School District and the Jefferson Elementary School District, both headquartered in Daly City, jettison the name of that Founding Father? That would appear to be a cultural double whammy. One does speculate.

Last edited:
Here's another one for you: If American historians are correct, Thomas Jefferson owned well over 100 slaves on his Virginia estate right through to the time of his demise. Should the Jefferson Union High School District and the Jefferson Elementary School District, both headquartered in Daly City, jettison the name of that Founding Father? That would appear to be a cultural double whammy. One does speculate.

And TJ authored the Declarlation of Independence so lets throw that out the window. Try finding a perfect human being , oh wait Tom Brady Go Padres

Reactions: colhenrylives
Ah, yes, the Perfect Human Being. Great point. Other than your beloved Colonel, everyone has flaws. And that includes Father Junipero Serra who is a bonafide Catholic saint. Love that hulking statue of the misunderstood cleric up there overlooking Interstate 280 and the Crystal Springs Reservoir in Hillsborough, by the way.

I happen to have gone to Thomas Jefferson H.S. in Brooklyn. So this gives be a pass on commenting on this subject. ;)
I don't think it is necessary to change the name.
I do think it is necessary to explain to school students about slavery and " ALL " the ramifications that slavery did affect, and still affects how our society is today.

Here's wishing you great hoops

A school's best bet is to have their school mascot be an animal or mythical creature to avoid someone digging into the origins of a historical person or grouping because all you will find is something offensive or insensitive. So Bells and Wildcats you are safe for the time being.

A school's best bet is to have their school mascot be an animal or mythical creature to avoid someone digging into the origins of a historical person or grouping because all you will find is something offensive or insensitive. So Bells and Wildcats you are safe for the time being.

Other safe HS team mascots probably include the Yuba City Honkers, the Watersmeet Township, Nimrods and my favorites all from Illinois include the Chinook HS Sugar Beaters, the Cobden HS Apple Knockers and the Hoopeston HS Corn Jerkers.....would love to see their pregame team warm up dance or the half time Cheer/Dance routines

Tweet Crete17

Other safe HS team mascots probably include the Yuba City Honkers, the Watersmeet Township, Nimrods and my favorites all from Illinois include the Chinook HS Sugar Beaters, the Cobden HS Apple Knockers and the Hoopeston HS Corn Jerkers.....would love to see their pregame team warm up dance or the half time Cheer/Dance routines

Tweet Crete17

The absurdity of this entire cancel culture is laughable. We should just rename all high schools by number. In the state final we have #36 playing #297.

And TJ authored the Declarlation of Independence so lets throw that out the window. Try finding a perfect human being , oh wait Tom Brady Go Padres
So if Jefferson-Daly City does indeed change it's school name, it would be the first to change both it's mascot and school name!

The only thing absurd or insensitive is the fact PEOPLE still today do not understand how inappropriate it is to have these schools , institutions, etc...named after people who committed real crimes to people of color that still exist today! When your not a person of color do not speak on what you think is offensive. Our very last names remind us everyday of our challenges and the heritage that was stolen from us.

The Jefferson school district and the high school should be renamed immediately.

Remember, if Jefferson didn't write the Constitution, you wouldn't be able to write on this site. And yes, slavery was allowed under the Constitution, but Jefferson would not have had it passed without the concession made without the delegates in slave states.

For those who knocked down U.S. Grant statue, they should have done their homework. Very idiot. Same as those who believes Trump represents Lincoln republicans. Doesnt anybody remember History 200 and the Civil Rights Era of 50s and 60s.(not to be confused with Civil Rights era during Reconstruction).

And please dont say we dont have a clue of what "we went through". Most of us did, some of us experienced it more than you give credit to. Racism is cancerous. Its in the back alleys of most of us. You dont always see it, and that's scary. But in my mind, those who confront it now (hidden or otherwise), is not even close to how it was prevalent to our parents and grandparents - not even close. It is nice that social media and tv it is throwing a wrench in society now to recognize our flaws as a country. I hope the wave continues. Unfortunately, racism will never be eliminated in my lifetime, but I pray that it will frowned upon more and more by human beings each day. Let St. Peter be your judge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
You are 100 percent right Monroe.... THERE are a lot of pent up issues that folks have HAD to deal with over the year's. EVEN in this liberal enclave called Northern California. AND This is a prep sports site, but these GREATER societal issues intersect with sports.. Look at covid 19 and what it has done

The names of schools and statues do matter. JEFFERSON used to be called the Indians. They changed the mascot name. THE most mild mannered person will sound like Malcolm X pointing out a lot of the hypocrisy even in the sports world. BUT LIKE the great Harlem Rennasaince poet Paul Laurence Dunbar ONCE said, talking about black folks I. AMERICA.... WE WEAR TWO MASKS.

The only thing absurd or insensitive is the fact PEOPLE still today do not understand how inappropriate it is to have these schools , institutions, etc...named after people who committed real crimes to people of color that still exist today! When your not a person of color do not speak on what you think is offensive. Our very last names remind us everyday of our challenges and the heritage that was stolen from us.

With everything going on in the World right now, I first off hope everyone is safe, healthy, and doing the best they can during these tough times. Friend or Enemy, this is some really tough stuff we are going through right now.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...ro-serra-george-washington-francis-scott-key/

Barring something crazy happening, it looks like Serra will change the name of their school. Personally I'd love to see them name the school Tom Brady High School or Barry Bonds High School, but it probably won't happen.

Any idea of what the new name of the Serra Padres will be?
Stuart Hall School for Boys- Peninsula Chapter

I happen to have gone to Thomas Jefferson H.S. in Brooklyn. So this gives be a pass on commenting on this subject. ;)
I don't think it is necessary to change the name.
I do think it is necessary to explain to school students about slavery and " ALL " the ramifications that slavery did affect, and still affects how our society is today.

Here's wishing you great hoops

All this wokeness...Will Yale change its name? All this is coming from these IVY league colleges, so do as you say first....

Woke? Don't care for the term. What about maybe doing the right thing? And maybe the Ivys should. [YALE]. Princeton just took down the name of Woodrow Wilson [a virulent racist and white supremacist] on its campus. A Building bearing his name. Things change...

Woke? Don't care for the term. What about maybe doing the right thing? And maybe the Ivys should. [YALE]. Princeton just took down the name of Woodrow Wilson [a virulent racist and white supremacist] on its campus. A Building bearing his name. Things change...

If everyone is going to be judged my societal norms of present day there would be no innocent in the history of mankind.

That's not true...I tend to stay away from politics or social justice issues cause I will upset some people. I Believe on speaking truth to power...I will just say this. EVEN when this country was founded there were founders who were vehemently against the institution of slavery. Ben Franklin. While others just went along to get along...During slavery there were abolitionist and people like John Brown who was a white militant against the institution of Slavery and tried to lead an insurrection against it.. He paid for it with his life. SO the argument that. This was the times is a defunct argument. People knew better. EVEN Thomas Jefferson who wrote all men was created equal knew he was a hypocrite, with his black slave mistress. AND in his writings he knew he/the country was on shaky footing.. ..

Regarding Woodrow Wilson this was a guy who applauded the KKK And the film Birth of a Nation, saying it was like real life. He pushed to segregate places and accommodations that were integrated at that time. Even by today's times/standards, he would make Donald Trump look like a lefty. Look it up...

Last edited:
I've been to Germany several times and coincidentally enough...I've never seen a Hitler statue....The whole country must be woke.....or maybe it is just the right thing to do ....not to honor those that are kinda f'd up.....

Reactions: cityfan and MC415

educate me on the "heritage that was stolen from us".....slavery was horrible, racism is a crime, but lord knows millions of african americans are successful people who benefited from western civilization and its life style. But lets be brutally honest here. The contribution of the Bantu tribes to modern civilization has been as near to zilch as there is. You'll probably say thats "racist". But its "true"

This is apart of a very important discussion that needs to be had. With a tie to prep sports in the initial post, this thread was able to go on, but at this point, I think it has moved away from prep sports and has gotten to the point that people who have wanted to share their opinion have done so.

With that said, I'm going to end this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT