ADVERTISEMENT

1-AA State Bowl: St. Mary's vs. Cathedral Catholic

They couldn't stop Frampton. That injury absolutely killed them. BTW, I think Aponte might have been the best player on the field last night. That kid is legit ! Not saying the best college prospect but in terms of HS football players there aren't many better and he's a jr. I was very impressed with him.

This game will be replayed for decades in the minds of those kids. (and us). So many mistakes and opportunities.

BTW, Folsom wasn't even close to these 2 teams. Don't even bother going there. St Mary's beats freedom by 4 scores if they played again.
No doubt! Conclusion, even though my son was on the 2008 team, 2016 state game will be replayed more so in my head, too. This 2016 team, IMHO, was the best St. Mary's team in my memory, better than 2008, and arguably better than 2004 and 2009. It's just unfortunate they left the field with the loss. Victory or defeat, that was still IMHO one of the best football games I ever witnessed, better than 2008. I got in my car disappointed, but not as disappointed as I thought I would be because I was truly entertained. I love my St. Mary's Rams, no doubt. But, I love the game even more. Last night proved it.

I don't understand why they didn't go with Aponte in the wildcat.

I mentioned Aponte earlier, although not in the wildcat which is a great point. If you are going to sell out on a QB run to get the extra blocker, Aponte would have been a much better option even if they knew it was coming (I think they did even though it was Dunniway). But the pass option to Cotton was surely there. Too bad Jake didn't keep his eyes up and read it.

Regardless, Aponte's lack of involvement the last few minutes of the game was certainly puzzling considering the game that kid had.

Earlier, trust me, we the fans were yelling to kick the FG and get the points intend of going for it on 4th down. The kid can kick a 50 yard FG and there should have been more faith. Miss one FG and the coaches lose faith? Still in shock. So many chances to put the game away. !

What you say makes it even worse, IMO. If he truly has a leg up to 50, there's no reason they shouldn't have tried the 27-yarder on the heels of the 1st miss and, quite honestly, no reason why they shouldn't have tried a 37-yarder w/ 2:58 remaining that could have given them a 10 point lead.

With points coming at a premium, one miss that was slightly wide left because of the hash alignment shouldn't be enough to throw the kicking game out of the game plan entirely. You don't stop passing the ball just because of a few incomplete passes or even an INT do you?

The way St. Mary's has played the past few weeks makes you say what in the hell happened to Folsom to lose so bad to them.

That's pretty easy to answer actually. Folsom got St. Mary's "A" game (or close to it). Freedom and Cathedral did not. That was the difference.

Far too many costly penalties in the last 2 games that put them in longer down and distance situations which made it easier on the oppositions defense and stalled out drives.

In the Freedom game, obviously unforced turnovers were an additional factor. In the CC game the pick 6 was a killer but at least they had time to come back from it. It was the penalties and game management decisions that did them in.

Did you see those extra points? They didn't exactly look good going through. Teams that score 58 pts and never punt don't worry about kicking FG's. .

In that a huge problem when you play someone that can punch you back in the mouth. Against a quality opponent you need every point. That go for it mentality, don't punt on 4th and 75 from your own 2 doesn't work against teams which are close enough to you.

Matt Logan should have a couple more state titles and a humongous reason why he doesn't have more than one is because of some of his coaching decisions in big games.

Reactions: ThunderRam
This 2016 team, IMHO, was the best St. Mary's team in my memory, better than 2008, and arguably better than 2004 and 2009.

You have a deeper knowledge of SM football than do I, but for my money their 2009 team was best I've seen thus far. They just happened to play in the deepest and best playoff bracket the SJS has likely ever fielded. And they barely lost to one of Del Oro's very best teams that they probably would have split 10 games against.

Wow, what a game! I knew it would come down to the line and it did. That was not a pretty win on our side, we simply capitalized on poor play calling. Great job by the Rams and a great season for them. Good luck in the remainder of the bowl games.

I just want to keep this classy, that's how we do it in San Diego! See you again in 2024?
Lol singing a different tune on the SoCal board. Lol.

Lol singing a different tune on the SoCal board. Lol.
Of course we are going we are going to celebrate! This was the worst ass whopping handed out since the bowls began! And someone above mentioned that Frampton couldn't be stopped! He got 1 touchdown and how many yeards? That one WR owned us but Framptons slow motion speed didn't get much done.

Per San Diego Tribune ... "slow motion" Dusty Frampton rushed for 169 yards in 33 carries and scored one touchdown for St. Mary’s. Dunniway completed 31 of 46 passes for 411 yards and four touchdowns. Stats don't win ball games, but they sure were better than the Dons. Stats don't win ball games, lucky coin flips do. Also, some guy was lucky "slow motion" Frampton got injured or he wouldn't be yapping his mouth and and saying he had "class".

To summarize, Cathedral Catholic won the coin flip which won the ball game. Had St. Mary's won the coin flip, it would have been the Rams kicking the winning FG. Congrats on winning the coin flip!

Make no mistake in judgement, those were two good teams on the field. One team played better and lost. The other team prayed harder and won the coin flip, which won them the game. In the end, some guy who claimed he had "class" turned out being an "ass". Smh.

I kept everything classy on this board until this evening when I got called out. St Mary's is a top notch team and they did their homework too! You found our Achilles heel and exploited it all night like all good teams have, #6 our coaches kid. I love Doyle to death but we have daddy ball too. Your kids played better than ours did but your coaches cost them the game. Our RZ
defense was aweomse though. When it was all said and done we got the win and although the North came out on the down side, this was the most competitive bowl series ever! Lick your wounds and bring it next year, odds are you won't see the Dons next year in a bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT