ADVERTISEMENT

1-AA State Bowl: St. Mary's vs. Cathedral Catholic

Pick 6 gives Cathedral its first lead of the game at 35-28 with 1:30 left.

St. Mary's responds with a 70 yard TD pass that was basically a playground play. 35-35 tie with 45 seconds left.

Frampton left the game two series ago with an ankle injury

St. Mary's was stopped on downs at the one yard line on a keeper by Dunniway (three runs on four plays down there).

Cathedral makes a 20 yard field goal to beat the Rams 38-35.

Two terrific state bowl games between these two programs, but both have gone to the Dons.

NorCal starts the weekend 0-2.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Did you see those extra points? They didn't exactly look good going through. Teams that score 58 pts and never punt don't worry about kicking FG's. But if Frampton plays that series CC doesn't stop them and this game is over. It was a dagger.

Wow, what a game! I knew it would come down to the line and it did. That was not a pretty win on our side, we simply capitalized on poor play calling. Great job by the Rams and a great season for them. Good luck in the remainder of the bowl games.

I just want to keep this classy, that's how we do it in San Diego! See you again in 2024?

I don't know how those kids are going to sleep tonite. 800# help line. I just feel so bad.

Did you see those extra points? They didn't exactly look good going through. Teams that score 58 pts and never punt don't worry about kicking FG's. But if Frampton plays that series CC doesn't stop them and this game is over. It was a dagger.

Frampton was a huge loss but they had several opportunities to put the game away before he got hurt.

Not having Frampton at the end was a big deal, but it more highlighted the issues St. Mary's had all night in the red zone in picking up key yards or having a viable kicking option.

Just finished watching it in DVR. Outstanding game. Truth is a champion has to have that killer instinct and put away an opponent when given a chance. Way to many squandered chances and some really bad coaching decisions lost the game.

Was thinking of this at the end!
alltherightmoves.jpg

I don't understand why they won't kick the FG and take the points. That could cost they're season.

I said the same thing on the National board. During the 1st half, I said it was a mistake not to opt for the FG from the 12. While they had missed from nearly the exact same spot the previous possession, you still have to try it, IMO. It's not like he missed due to distance.

Points are always at a premium in these types of games. You just can't drive the field as many times as SM's did and not come away with points. Centennial did the same thing against DLS last season.

Despite it all, the game really should have been over once the Rams recovered the fumble inside the 35 with 4:58 to go. However, 3 plays later Frampton goes down and the drive stalled out at the 20. Too many penalties and mistakes by the Rams. Poor situational play calling in some instances too. For example, why wasn't Marcus Aponte's number called down the stretch -- especially once Frampton was out? He had double digit receptions and was clutch all game long but they didn't go to him when it mattered most.

BTW, if they don't have a kicker that can at least try a 37-yd FG for a shot at icing the game and winning a State title, they really need to find one. They are a large private school. There's gotta be a a capable soccer player somewhere on that campus.

At no time did Cathedral look like the better team tonight, but they surely did get the W and a title. No disputing that.

In 2008, they were the better team. Tonight they weren't. St. Mary's just blew it.

That pick 6 though thrown by Dunniway was pretty bad.

He missed a couple of easy throws tonight for would be scores.

Even at the end on the read option keeper where he was stopped at the 1, he had Dewey Cotton open on the bubble screen -- similar to the play they scored on in the 1st half but that got called back on penalty for illegal shift. The corner committed to the run and left Cotton open. If Dunniway had read it, it could have been an easy TD.

Honestly, if they play 10 times St Mary's wins 9 of them. This was CC one game. This is not taking anything away from a great CC team but St Mary's was clearly better in virtually every area of the game. Better Line, Better Wide Outs, Better QB, Better RB's, extra, extra. I think St Mary's put up 600+ yards of total offense. I'm still stunned actually. I just can't believe they had that many red zone opportunities and came up empty.

Thunder you are right though. I remember in HS we could grab a soccer guy who never kicked a football and he was kicking 35-40 yard field goals with ease. Where was that guy?

All very good observations and comments. I cannot say anything but you guys have said it all.

In regards to SM's kicker, he has been pretty good all season. Just check his stats. He was perfect last week on 7 for 7 PAT's. This was not a game so much that the SM players choked (except Dunniway's pick 6). It was a game the SM coaches choked. In OT, for example, I don't understand why they didn't go with Aponte in the wildcat. They used it vs Folsom. It presents an opportunity for a dual-threat QB and he would have made a spin around that tackle that Dunniway got stopped on. Earlier, trust me, we the fans were yelling to kick the FG and get the points intend of going for it on 4th down. The kid can kick a 50 yard FG and there should have been more faith. Miss one FG and the coaches lose faith? Still in shock. So many chances to put the game away. But, heck, the Dons played well enough to win and win they did. Hats off to them. Congrats!

FGs, FGs, FGs!!! It is a part of the HS game that gets overlooked the most. Granted the kid missed one early on but he was never given the chance again. I believe he got all of his extra points and a couple of those FGs were either a little further out or inside XP range. Coach Franks I am sure is waking up this morning full of "what ifs". I know the feeling. It stinks!!! Loads of great athletes on that field last night.
And oh yeah!! That "SOPH" RB for CC!!! WOW!!!! STUD!!!!!!

Ecven if St. mary's had won, I don't think there would be much debate on a St. Mary's/DLS game, especially when you look at how each team did vs. Freedom. That being said, kudos to St. Mary's for a great year.

The way St. Mary's has played the past few weeks makes you say what in the hell happened to Folsom to lose so bad to them.

CT4L
Folsom wasn't a top tier team as in the past. St Mary's was exponentially better. And they were better than CC in my opinion. Unfortunately the best team doesn't always win. That's why they play the game.

They couldn't stop Frampton. That injury absolutely killed them. BTW, I think Aponte might have been the best player on the field last night. That kid is legit ! Not saying the best college prospect but in terms of HS football players there aren't many better and he's a jr. I was very impressed with him.

This game will be replayed for decades in the minds of those kids. (and us). So many mistakes and opportunities.

BTW, Folsom wasn't even close to these 2 teams. Don't even bother going there. St Mary's beats freedom by 4 scores if they played again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT