ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Open Division seeding????

West Campos is an example of a school that plays under PRIVATE SCHOOL rules and is allowed to pull kids from all over the city and then is allowed to exploit the system and win paper state titles. That school is a paper champ ONLY
Banners usually aren't made of paper. If there were any hanging in your gym, you would know that.

Paper champ? Try winning a state title, in any division, and finish the process and say it was just "paper."

There is no easy path to any state title, in any sport, in any division -- but especially basketball, because of the length of the season and the nature of the game.

West Campus is a state champion -- and deservedly so. They controlled what they could control, and beat a bunch of good teams along the way.
Paper Champ was harsh, for sure. I have tried and continue to with no success so I do realize how hard it is to win a state title so I'll take that back but they should have been put in a higher division then they have been in the past years that part is true. I guess I was being a little bit of a hater, my bad.

Paper Champ was harsh, for sure. I have tried and continue to with no success so I do realize how hard it is to win a state title so I'll take that back but they should have been put in a higher division then they have been in the past years that part is true. I guess I was being a little bit of a hater, my bad.
Haha Azanna, I appreciate your words. Most people would not take it back, but I totally understand your sentiments. I totally agree that it was not fair for West Campus to get placed so low, that was a huge oversight/mistake by seeding committee. As I stated earlier, they should have been in D1. And at the lowest, maybe even D2 in the new competitive equality. I have no idea how they got put so low, that was just crazy/unbelievable. But they did what they had to do and didn't let up. They did have 1 close game against Clovis, but pretty much dominated the rest of the D3 teams including in the State championship.

I agree they should’ve been seeded a lot higher. Azanna is in the holiday spirit apologized for acting as a “hater” but you’re not a hater. You gained a lot of respect from me. Now the 80% of this board should take notice :p because there is plenty of haters on here. Kudos Azanna

Thanks, Azanna ...

No question West Campus was undervalued, and there were some teams that were overvalued as well. But teams still have to get it done on the court, and there's no smooth path (ask Mitty).

And sadly, there will be similar errors this year, but hopefully fewer as the committee gets more experienced.

I think the biggest issue is the impact of injuries. Say a team (like SMS, for example) has an elite player who doesn't get on the court until mid-January or even February. The committee has to use the body of work to place the team, but the addition of an elite talent can make a huge difference -- but there's really no way to measure how big that difference might be. The injured player might be only at 80%, or she could step on the court and dominate in postseason.

Again, there's no perfect system (in anything) ...

I agree with stepslide.

Why so much love for Dublin?

Dublin appears to have been a bit of a stretch. I put them in the mix primarily because I also put in SRV, and California both of which are league rivals with Dublin. You know how league rivalries go. A team can be 1-13 and beat a league rival who is 13-0. That is why I place less value on teams that know one another beating each other. And more value when a team travels to an unfamiliar place and beats tough unknown opponents. Even though most of the polls out there don't consider that factor. That is why I like my poll best and each year I watch I have to make one. https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/girls-basketball-nations-top-30.20742/

I should have listened to the advise I got from cityboy415

Although I still think Dublin over CN was an impressive win for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winning Is Fun
Open Division Prediction:
1. Pinewood
2. Mitty
3. Salesian
4. C Let
5. Miramonte
6. Sacramento
7. SMS
8. Bear Creek

1. Pinewood
2. Mitty
3. Salesian
4. C Let
5. Miramonte
6. Sacramento
7. SMS
8. Bear Creek

I think for SMS to get in there they must get healthier in a hurry. They still if I'm not mistaken have a few more challenging games that at this point they probably will lose. I like Bear Creak, but not sure if they will come out of the wash in the post season and make it into the Open. There are several teams that may get a crack at the Open tournament. That is why I left 7, and 8 slots up for grab. At this point 6,7,and 8 might be up for grabs. But at the same time hey, you've hit the lotto 10 for 10 in your picks in the past. So I have to take your picks seriously.

correct me if I"m wrong, but Norcal does not have to send 8 teams to the open, right? OR did that change after Socal sent 6 to the open in it's first year...?

correct me if I"m wrong, but Norcal does not have to send 8 teams to the open, right? OR did that change after Socal sent 6 to the open in it's first year...?

Some of the more knowledgable minds on the rules and regulations like Clay and a few others will need to answer that question. As far as I know I think the committee who decides can decide 6 or 8. Whatever they decide it's their call.

I think the original intent was to only send the top teams that had a legitimate chance, but after a couple of years with SoCal sending 6 one year and NorCal sending 6 in the boys, it’s now a full 8 teams in both girls and boys, SoCal & NorCal.

They rank the 88 teams that qualify 1-88 and the top 8 go right to the Open Division. No gerrymandering.

Antelope is 16-1 and will be favored in every remaining game but Heritage Jan. 26. So let's say Antelope wins SJS D-2 and finishes 28-2.

Does Antelope go in over the NCS D-2 winner?

It's going to be very interesting, as it appears both SJS and NCS will have strong cases for both D-1 finalists to be Open. That's four -- Mitty and Pinewood make six, and Salesian makes seven.

Or does the committee only take section champs (aside from Pinewood/Mitty) and relegate the loser of Carondelet/Heritage (presumably) and whoever the SJS D-1 loser is to Open D-1, taking both D-2 winners into the Open?

Reactions: basketba11
I think for SMS to get in there they must get healthier in a hurry. They still if I'm not mistaken have a few more challenging games that at this point they probably will lose. I like Bear Creak, but not sure if they will come out of the wash in the post season and make it into the Open. There are several teams that may get a crack at the Open tournament. That is why I left 7, and 8 slots up for grab. At this point 6,7,and 8 might be up for grabs. But at the same time hey, you've hit the lotto 10 for 10 in your picks in the past. So I have to take your picks seriously.
I don't feel great about the SMS pick I just do not think the loser of D1 will go open. SMS always finds their way into open. Maybe Saint Joseph Notre dame will slip in if they can beat heritage.

as a professional nit-picker, I find it humorous that CIF is staying with the "Open" label for its top division. at first, when everybody else went to their enrollment-modified-by-promotion-for-success division, it made sense. now, with competitive equity assignments and seedings top to bottom, seems you could call your top dogs Division 1. not that nomenclature is the biggest challenge faced by the new process. I mean, all the divisions are "open".

I don't feel great about the SMS pick I just do not think the loser of D1 will go open. SMS always finds their way into open. Maybe Saint Joseph Notre dame will slip in if they can beat heritage.

Hey I'll be pulling for SMS. After all as Passionatedad said they are the only team North or south to make it into the Open every season since the Open was created. But they do need Oliver back and healthy. Because I think (without seeing them play) they may be lacking chemistry, experience, and on the floor leadership.

Reactions: Willtalk
Hey I'll be pulling for SMS. After all as Passionatedad said they are the only team North or south to make it into the Open every season since the Open was created. But they do need Oliver back and healthy. Because I think (without seeing them play) they may be lacking chemistry, experience, and on the floor leadership.

1) Mitty
2) Pinewood
3) Salesian
4) Carondelet

Wow! can you imagine having more than one public school in the open division? Because for real, after 4 it's wide open! I think the MM vs. BOD winner will also go open...especially of MM wins.

Reactions: Paytc
1) Mitty
2) Pinewood
3) Salesian
4) Carondelet

Wow! can you imagine having more than one public school in the open division? Because for real, after 4 it's wide open! I think the MM vs. BOD winner will also go open...especially of MM wins.

Since Pinewood beat Mitty the last time they played and was Norcal champs I think it's not respectful to place Mitty above Pinewood. Atleast not until a Norcal team or anyone else beats the defending Norcal champs. Pinewood is also #7 on my national poll and #2 on my state poll. Mitty is up and climbing but not there yet IMO.

I'm not saying Pinewood will or will not beat Mitty. It's just proper to pay respect where it is do. Besides, Mitty might play better without the target as an under dog for a change.

Since Pinewood beat Mitty the last time they played and was Norcal champs I think it's not respectful to place Mitty above Pinewood. Atleast not until a Norcal team or anyone else beats the defending Norcal champs. Pinewood is also #7 on my national poll and #2 on my state poll. Mitty is up and climbing but not there yet IMO.

I'm not saying Pinewood will or will not beat Mitty. It's just proper to pay respect where it is do. Besides, Mitty might play better without the target as an under dog for a change.
last year had no bearing on this year.. if he thinks Mitty would win in a matchup tomorrow (or in march) then he has every right to put them where he wants. Maybe he is speculating this order after the CCS final

1. Pinewood
2. Mitty
3. Salesian
4. C Let
5. Miramonte
6. Sacramento
7. SMS
8. Bear Creek
LBJ, very good predictions. I think mostly everyone can agree the top 4 should be locks for Open. I really like your Miramonte prediction- I think they will finish the regular season strong, I believe they can beat Folsom, Gorman and SHCP and they should win D2 NCS. If this happens, they should definitely be in the Open. I think the only other NCS team that should be considered for Open is Heritage (at this point I don't think SJND is an Open quality team), especially if they beat Carondelet in D1 NCS playoffs. Their remaining schedule is actually very interesting because all their tough games left will be against SJS teams McClatchy, St Marys, Sac and Antelope. As Clay stated, these 4 SJS teams this year have strong cases to be made, and I would include Bear Creek and Folsom in this mix as well. If Heritage sweeps through the SJS schools, then even if they lose to Carondelet in D1 finals, they should be strong consideration for Open. SJS should get 2 or 3 selections in Open. If 2, I would say D1 and D2 winners selected. If 3, then either runner up should be considered. Lots of schedule left for these SJS teams, so will be interesting how it pans out.

last year had no bearing on this year.. if he thinks Mitty would win in a matchup tomorrow (or in march) then he has every right to put them where he wants. Maybe he is speculating this order after the CCS final

In your opinion last year had no bearing. In mine it does that is why I placed Pinewood at the top until proven otherwise. Not to mention I was directing the comment to Nor_cal so he could rationalize he thoughts.

And when I look at my national ranking system Pinewood has been more impressive at this point than Mitty has in my and most if not every poll out there. So again I think Pinewood deserves more respect than they get each year. And all the hype Mitty gets each season is probably why they don't actually live up to as high as they are often propped up. Let them sneak up from behind without added pressure and expectations for one season.

I'll give Mitty the fact they have perhaps the top player in the nation in Haley Jones. And....

Sure Mitty may or may not win when they eventually play. But even if we don't take into account last season, Pinewood as I said is ranked higher than Mitty on every poll I'm aware of. And I and others will change the ranking once games are played. Until then body of work determine rankings. You can't have the end of the season poll completed before the season concludes. Too many things can happen. But if Nor_cal is making a projection I can respect that. I just haven't gotten Nor_cal
reply to know whether it was just a projection/prediction.
Or if he was putting them above Pinewood right now?

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/girls-basketball-nations-top-30.20742/

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school.../girls-basketball/rankings.htm#state_rankings

https://usatodayhss.com/rankings/expert/girls/basketball/2018/4

http://www.maxpreps.com/polls/girls-basketball/xcellent25.htm

Last edited:
So by the logic that last year matters, Campolindo should still be ranked. And Pleasant Valley. It would be disrespectful otherwise.

Wouldn't it be disrespectful to not rank Oakland, since they beat Campo by 50?

So by the logic that last year matters, Campolindo should still be ranked. And Pleasant Valley. It would be disrespectful otherwise.

Wouldn't it be disrespectful to not rank Oakland, since they beat Campo by 50?
Yeah if they returned their best two players they would be. But I think Haley and Ashley graduated. Pinewood's best two players Jump and Astrom returned. Some people just want to be right and don't really know basketball well enough to be right. I wonder if the Warriors winning back to back titles had anything to do with them being ranked at the start of the season? Or if returning most of a good team doesn't matter......

Last edited:
...spoken to his bathroom mirror.

A lot of people seem to do that. Pretty funny I was trying to get Nor_cal's thoughts on why he placed Mitty above Pinewood at this time but I got 3 or 4 other folks speaking on his behalf. LOL......

You never know perhaps Nor_cal uses two or three different user names like Jazz.

Last edited:
dude, nobody on this board generates the verbiage touting his opinions and expertise that you do. over and over. and over. can't somebody disagree with you without a rejoinder?

you said that you thought that Clet had never won an Open game. they won their opening games in the first two opens. funny thing is that you offered criticism of Clet's coaching in their semifinal loss that second year. basketball info: semifinal games match the winners of quarterfinal games. you were there! allegedly.

maybe you didn't remember. but you do remember your opinions well enough to repeat them. over and over. and over.

Reactions: OnBall8 and Paytc
dude, nobody on this board generates the verbiage touting his opinions and expertise that you do. over and over. and over. can't somebody disagree with you without a rejoinder?

you said that you thought that Clet had never won an Open game. they won their opening games in the first two opens. funny thing is that you offered criticism of Clet's coaching in their semifinal loss that second year. basketball info: semifinal games match the winners of quarterfinal games. you were there! allegedly.

maybe you didn't remember. but you do remember your opinions well enough to repeat them. over and over. and over.

I typically say to my knowledge so that if it is incorrect others who know more can chime in. But typically when I speak to one person in particular I'm waiting to hear a response from that person so I know where their thoughts are.Not have many others speak for them. Hey I know I'm very opinionated. But rarely mean spirited. Though very opinionated I've never said I know it all. And I don't know anyone who does. And I have been waiting for someone to tell me if Clet has ever won an Open division game. That is why I've been saying "to my knowledge".Thanks for the info. And Congratulations goes out to Margaret. I wasn't certain what round the game was in that I came out and witnessed that season. So now I can say, lets move the bar to the next round of the Open. And just keep aiming higher.

And trust me I'm not madd at anyone. I just like to rattle a few cages and talk little smack. Especially to folks of higher authority. Since too many others won't.

Last edited:
Good since most of us computer smack talkers can't complete a three on three half court game without multiple timeouts and an oxygen tank on the sidelines. :)

Any of you want to do coffee sometime? LOL.........

Last edited:
Good since most of us computer smack talkers can't complete a three on three half court game without multiple timeouts and an oxygen tank on the sidelines. :)
Once again I have no idea where you're going with that... being mad.. 3 on 3 pick up.. I don't get the connection..

Once again I have no idea where you're going with that... being mad.. 3 on 3 pick up.. I don't get the connection..

Just corny humor. It's not meant to make anything out of it. You can typically find anything you're looking for it you spin it hard enough. But with me typically look toward the high road. I'm just chopping up convo so it's into easily digestible pieces. Not trying to speak above and beyond or over anyone.

Last edited:
LBJ, very good predictions. I think mostly everyone can agree the top 4 should be locks for Open. I really like your Miramonte prediction- I think they will finish the regular season strong, I believe they can beat Folsom, Gorman and SHCP and they should win D2 NCS. If this happens, they should definitely be in the Open. I think the only other NCS team that should be considered for Open is Heritage (at this point I don't think SJND is an Open quality team), especially if they beat Carondelet in D1 NCS playoffs. Their remaining schedule is actually very interesting because all their tough games left will be against SJS teams McClatchy, St Marys, Sac and Antelope. As Clay stated, these 4 SJS teams this year have strong cases to be made, and I would include Bear Creek and Folsom in this mix as well. If Heritage sweeps through the SJS schools, then even if they lose to Carondelet in D1 finals, they should be strong consideration for Open. SJS should get 2 or 3 selections in Open. If 2, I would say D1 and D2 winners selected. If 3, then either runner up should be considered. Lots of schedule left for these SJS teams, so will be interesting how it pans out.
I thought I would expand on the SJS section teams since most likely could be 2 or 3 teams in Open this year:
Division 1 Bracket-I don't think St Mary's Stockton has never lost in D1 Section playoffs, so even though they are a little down this year, I can't not have them as the favorite. And if they win D1 Section title, they should be Open team again (as in every other year). McClatchy and Folsom are looking to upset St Mary's as they haven't been able to do so yet. Both very good teams this year, but not unbeatable. Cosumnes Oaks and Oak Ridge having very good seasons again this year, and I wouldn't be surprised for one of these teams to pull off an upset.
Division 2 Bracket-A Bear Creek and Antelope rematch would be great to see. I can be sure that Sac High and their star senior class would want nothing more than winning a Section title this year, but there are several teams having good seasons as well that will push these 3 to their limits. Don't count out any upsets from Del Oro, Elk Grove, Whitney and Laguna Creek this year with their fab 5 freshman group.

Any of you want to do coffee sometime? LOL.........

My nurse will get back to you soon.

She's a reformed vegan who quaffs only PBR from a can. She's been banned from three Irish bars and the ICU at Kaiser Hospital in South City.

Too funny. Im practically a vegan. But I do oddly prefer can beer over bottled. Send her anyway !:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT