ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Open Division seeding????

I love the way Heritage plays and I think Rob has done an amazing job since taking over. That said, what open caliber wins do they have that would thrust them into the open division, assuming they win D1? I would hate to see them get into the open division and lose in the first or second round. It seems to me that there has to be a couple factors when going to open. 1) history with how you've done in your sectional finals. 2) strength of your schedule. 3) wins on your schedule. Heritage doesn't have that other than maybe strength of schedule and a down St. Mary's team. I hope they stay D1

Norcal has to protect some of it's teams for state. The Same thing happened last year with Folsom....they get blasted by St. Mary's (last year) and get put in the open? they could have done some damage in D1 if they'd of stayed. Gotta love competitive equity.

Folsom had a McDonalds All American and a center going to UCLA...they absolutely deserved to be in the Open.

And its about time the SJS step up and send 3...the other 2 sections (especially the NCS)have been carrying the load for long enough but I honestly cant Imagine that the NCS D1,2 and 3 winners wont go and the loser between CLET and Heritage probably deserves to go also...so it looks like 4 again for the NCS.

Too funny. Im practically a vegan. But I do oddly prefer can beer over bottled. Send her anyway !:)

She's no bargain. Can't go to her left, won't take a charge, refuses to take away baseline during Lent and has a nasty habit of flipping off the P.A. announcer if her name ("Swinette") is mis-pronounced. She pronounces it "Swinnay" by the way. And she's not French. She's mixed Serbo-Croatian-Northern-Irish-Cherokee. Do not piss her off.

Reactions: Paytc
Folsom had a McDonalds All American and a center going to UCLA...they absolutely deserved to be in the Open.

And its about time the SJS step up and send 3...the other 2 sections (especially the NCS)have been carrying the load for long enough but I honestly cant Imagine that the NCS D1,2 and 3 winners wont go and the loser between CLET and Heritage probably deserves to go also...so it looks like 4 again for the NCS.
Spot on! NCS and SJS are always on different pages. Is there confirmation on sjs sending 3?

The cool thing this year is that there is no monsters in the North OPEN...I truly feel anybody can get anybody this year... Is this the year an #8 seed can take down the 1?

I think the CCS winner between Mitty and PW will probably be the 1 seed but flying under the radar is MM & Clet who both have some nice wins and nice rankings by Cal Hi and Max preps.

MM #8 MP #12 Cal Hi
Clet #7 MP #9 Cal hi

So its not out of the question 1 of the 2 NCS teams could sneak into the 1 spot.....or have both end up as the 2 & 3 seeds with the CCS winner #1.

Should make for a VERY interesting and competitive North OPEN this year

my understanding is that the Open selection/seeding process is a black box affair. don't know if they will weigh early season injuries/january transfers. but salesian seems positioned to make some noise--they have a matchup w Mitty and a rematch w pinewood on tap. like you said, could be a fun Open with toss-up games regardless of seeding. stay tuned.

know most about NCS, but SJS seems stronger and deeper at the top than usual. hard to believe SMS won't be in, but it's been an unusual year for them, they're not automatic this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11

I would say NCS sends D1 winner, D2 Winner and D3 Winner and runner up. Unless Heritage wins D1 then D1 sends two and D2 and D3.
Seeding as of right now
1. Pinewood
2. Carondelet
3. Mitty
4. Salesian
5. Miramonte
6. Sacramento
7. SM Stockton
8. Cardinal Newman/Heritage

Antelope is 16-1 and will be favored in every remaining game but Heritage Jan. 26. So let's say Antelope wins SJS D-2 and finishes 28-2.

Does Antelope go in over the NCS D-2 winner?

It's going to be very interesting, as it appears both SJS and NCS will have strong cases for both D-1 finalists to be Open. That's four -- Mitty and Pinewood make six, and Salesian makes seven.

Or does the committee only take section champs (aside from Pinewood/Mitty) and relegate the loser of Carondelet/Heritage (presumably) and whoever the SJS D-1 loser is to Open D-1, taking both D-2 winners into the Open?

geezuz Clay...are u kidding me?

are you ALREADY trying to politic to get MM out of the OPEN????

I was wondering when the posts would start...like clockwork every year...

so lets just put this out there right now....

IF MM WINS THE NCS D2 THEY ARE GOING TO THE OPEN....PERIOD

sorry Clay but with all the good wins MM has already racked up this season no amount of crying about how you deserve a state championship will get MM out of the OPEN. MM is ranked too high in multiple polls to not be put in.

lets remind everybody where MM is currently ranked....

Max preps computer nationally #21
Max Preps state #8
NCS (all divisions) #2
State D2 #1

please explain to all of us on NCP in what world MM would NOT be going to the OPEN if they won NCS D2????

***P.S.
a list of teams that MM (17-2) has beat this year so far
Bishops
Mission Hills
Highlands Ranch (Colo)
La Jolla Country Day
Clovis North
Harvard Westlake
Chaminade

Last edited:
I would say NCS sends D1 winner, D2 Winner and D3 Winner and runner up. Unless Heritage wins D1 then D1 sends two and D2 and D3.
Seeding as of right now
1. Pinewood
2. Carondelet
3. Mitty
4. Salesian
5. Miramonte
6. Sacramento
7. SM Stockton
8. Cardinal Newman/Heritage

Heritage has head 2 head wins over both SMS (19 pts) and Cardinal Newman (4pts)...so Heritage would go before both teams. And I'm not sure SMS gets in at all unless they win the SJS D1 as they have some bad losses...

SMS
lost to Heritage by 19
lost to Redondo Union by 36
lost to CLET by 27

Last edited:
The NCS D2 winner will very likely go Open; the SJS D2 winner will very likely go Open.

And yes, Cardinal Newman did get hosed and got stuck in the Open when they shouldn't have, but that doesn't mean you have to go after Miramonte with every post.

I do think it's a legit question, though:

CCS: Mitty, Pinewood
NCS: D1 winner, Salesian
SJS: D1 winner

That's five. It would seem logical to me that the D2 winners in both SJS and NCS would go -- but if that's the case, one of the D1 runners up, either in NCS or SJS, wouldn't go.

And both the SJS and NCS D1 runners up will likely have good records and big wins.

So, anti-Miramonte bias aside, would the committee take a D1 runner up over a D2 champion?

(OK, northbay, you've got me on biased rankings and supposedly pumping Miramonte out of the Open -- what's next? My record at Bentley? My senior softball team's losing record? Bad book reviews on Goodreads?)

The NCS D2 winner will very likely go Open; the SJS D2 winner will very likely go Open.

And yes, Cardinal Newman did get hosed and got stuck in the Open when they shouldn't have, but that doesn't mean you have to go after Miramonte with every post.

That's five. It would seem logical to me that the D2 winners in both SJS and NCS would go -- but if that's the case, one of the D1 runners up, either in NCS or SJS, wouldn't go.

And both the SJS and NCS D1 runners up will likely have good records and big wins.

So, anti-Miramonte bias aside, would the committee take a D1 runner up over a D2 champion?

(OK, northbay, you've got me on biased rankings and supposedly pumping Miramonte out of the Open -- what's next? My record at Bentley? My senior softball team's losing record? Bad book reviews on Goodreads?)

That's pretty funny. I did see a questionable book review. Did you have a personal issue with that author? LOL......

I think NCS D2 champion would get in over SJS D1 runner up:
Here are my predictions:
1. Pinewood-CCS
2. Mitty-CCS
3. NCS D1-CLet
4. NCS D2-MM
5. NCS D3-Salesian
6. SJS D1-(St Marys/McClatchy/Folsom)
7. SJS D2-(Antelope/Bear Creek/Sac)
8. NCS or SJS D1/D2 runner up-(Heritage)

you conveniently neglected to mention your underage slave operation at that Orinda pizza parlor...

Here are my predictions:
1. Pinewood-CCS
2. Mitty-CCS
3. NCS D1-CLet
4. NCS D2-MM
5. NCS D3-Salesian

keeping in mind that #1 and #2 each have upcoming games against both #3 and #5, and almost certainly against each other in CCS. your top 5 might not change, but the order might end up quite differently. and I don't claim to know much about SJS, but will watch MM play Folsom Saturday.

keeping in mind that #1 and #2 each have upcoming games against both #3 and #5, and almost certainly against each other in CCS. your top 5 might not change, but the order might end up quite differently. and I don't claim to know much about SJS, but will watch MM play Folsom Saturday.
Yah, I wasn't putting them in order quite yet. If you can mkbgdns, try to watch both Folsom/MM and the McClatchy/Heritage games, these are 2 of the better SJS teams this season. Both of these are good tests to see where they stand against two really good NCS teams

also, just noticed that Salesian's SOS is ranked most challenging among the top 100 Cal (and thus, probably all Cal schools) by Maxpreps AI. so their early losses with injuries and transfers waiting will need to be weighed by the black box. or not. they may have a path to #1 under their own control.

Their SOS will probably come down a bit when they play a few more league games. I'm really impressed with Carondelet's schedule this year and since no league games, their SOS will probably go up. With the inception of all these Elite showcases, I think it has changed the way coaches think with their scheduling. Each of the top teams is playing each other before playoffs whereas in the past, maybe you didn't want to see them until playoffs so no team would have an advantage. Between Mitty, Pinewood, Salesian, Clet, MM, SJND, SHC, they are all playing each other during the season now. Even though, a team might take a few losses, they will be more battle tested and ready to go for playoffs. Maybe this might give an advantage to Mitty and Pinewood because of their strong coaches and their ability to make adjustments and game planning? I guess we will see come playoff time.

Reactions: Paytc and OnBall8
Their SOS will probably come down a bit when they play a few more league games. I'm really impressed with Carondelet's schedule this year and since no league games, their SOS will probably go up. With the inception of all these Elite showcases, I think it has changed the way coaches think with their scheduling. Each of the top teams is playing each other before playoffs whereas in the past, maybe you didn't want to see them until playoffs so no team would have an advantage. Between Mitty, Pinewood, Salesian, Clet, MM, SJND, SHC, they are all playing each other during the season now. Even though, a team might take a few losses, they will be more battle tested and ready to go for playoffs. Maybe this might give an advantage to Mitty and Pinewood because of their strong coaches and their ability to make adjustments and game planning? I guess we will see come playoff time.

One more factor for Mitty and Pinewood: Their league schedules are strong. The WCAL and WBAL are probably the two best girls' hoops leagues in NorCal. They have been for some time.

One more factor for Mitty and Pinewood: Their league schedules are strong. The WCAL and WBAL are probably the two best girls' hoops leagues in NorCal. They have been for some time.

Those are strong leagues for sure, but I think the point being made was that teams like CLet, MM & SMS are now independent and playing much better teams than they would have faced had the remained in their old leagues. This may better prepare them for the playoffs than even a WCAL or WBAL schedule. I think it’s great having all these perennial powers facing off with each other during the season.

yes, Clet, Mitty, Pwood may all well gain SOS vs Salesian as the latter goes through league schedule. my point, not well articulated, is that their 5 losses have come during a strong stretch of their schedule. they could end up going into Norcals with only those 5 losses. the black box's weighing of that stretch, and their roster changes, might factor in. WCAL is the Big Dog League, and Clet is taking on all the Prime Suspects. again, an interesting/exciting year in Norcal.

Miramonte IS RANED

Give me a break Clay...sure make jokes and try to deflect my point....

but

MM IS THE #21 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY IN THE MAXPREPS COMPUTER RANKINGS!!!

and you think you can float the idea that if MM wins NCS D2 that somehow they wont be put into the OPEN and NOT get some blowback on that?

WTF are you smoking???

If you hadn't spent the last 2yrs January and February's posting all the reasons why MM shouldn't be in the OPEN maybe I wouldn't be so quick to jump on that ridiculous post.

NCS D1, D2 and D3 winners are in....(unless there is a major upset)

THE ONLY QUESTION is whether a runner up will be taken as the 4th team

I'm actually trying to deal with your point, but you keep making it personal ...

Here's the question:

NCS Division I final: Heritage beats Carondelet by 2
NCS Division II final: Miramonte beats O'Dowd (we haven't done that in the last two years, but you never know)

Carondelet has a head-to-head win over Miramonte.

So does the committee take Carondelet over Miramonte based on the head-to-head? Or does it take Miramonte based on the D-II title?

That said, any chance you can leave off the attacks and just answer the question?

I'm actually trying to deal with your point, but you keep making it personal ...

Here's the question:

NCS Division I final: Heritage beats Carondelet by 2
NCS Division II final: Miramonte beats O'Dowd (we haven't done that in the last two years, but you never know)

Carondelet has a head-to-head win over Miramonte.

So does the committee take Carondelet over Miramonte based on the head-to-head? Or does it take Miramonte based on the D-II title?

That said, any chance you can leave off the attacks and just answer the question?

good point.

IF heritage beats Clet and MM beats Odowd, I think all three teams go with Salesian. Now depending on what St. Joes does and how it finishes the season...this could throw a wrench in this.

Norcal_Fan,

Not sure how St. Joes will finish out the season. Are they healthy? They just had a sound double digit loss to Mater Dei. But Mater Dei we all might agree is historically a very good program. Mater Dei also beat Clet by double digits. But SJND ( I think )has a few heavy weights remaining on their schedule that they might lose. CLet beating Heritage 3 years straight in the NCS championship ( if they both get there) won't be easy. I personally think Clet matched up better with them last season. The change in coaching philosophy might have an impact? MM should have a big advantage over Odowd if Holland is still out or not at full strength. Because I think Odowd might be also trying to beat a good MM team 3 years straight in a championship too, which won't be easy.

We on the outside of the committee who decides never really know what logic they will use to decide. That is why we almost have to wait as long as the committee does to start making definite selections. Who knows what teams recovering from injuries might do. Or which teams might have an unfortunate late injury or two. And who knows until the games are played how the remaining games will go? I do agree with a few who have said this might be the year a lower seed has a better shot of knocking off a higher seed. We'll have to enjoy the games until then and wait to see who shows up.

Last edited:
The SJS sectional playoffs for D1 and D2 could come down to seedings. We still have a long way to go, but if McClatchy is able to beat Heritage this Saturday, they could end up with the #1 seed in D1. Same with Antelope for D2. You want to have a #1 or #2 seed because the semi-finals is no longer played at neutral site. It seems every year the SJS section always makes some mistakes for seeding in Sectionals. In D1, I'm sure between McClatchy, St Marys and Folsom, they do not want to be on the same side of the bracket as the other two. None of these 3 will want to play the other at their home gym. Last year, McClatchy got a low seed and had to play at Edison and got upset. Same thing in D2 this year. Between Antelope, Bear Creek and Sac High, 2 of these teams will be on same side and will have to travel and play at the opponent's home gym. Last year Sac got low seed and lost playing at Del Oro. Most likely the winners of the Section this year could be pulled into the Open this year. St Mary's is not the overwhelming favorite they have been in the past in D1, so could be interesting. Will be fun to see what happens. Good luck to all the SJS teams and hoping every team stays healthy and St Mary's is able to get their injured back on the court by the end of the year.

So if four go from NCS (Heritage, Carondelet, Miramonte and Salesian) and two from CCS that leaves just two for SJS. So the D-1 and D-2 winners? What if SMS beats McClatchy by two and McClatchy has a win over Heritage?

Again, does head-to-head trump section title?

Of course, it could sort itself out on the floor, but there are all sorts of scenarios. Bear Valley is definitely in the picture as well and what if SHC pulls an upset in the CCS semis and beats either Mitty or Pinewood? Do we now have three CCS teams in Open?

(Cue Miramonte criticism from northbayguru ...)

One thing we can be sure of and I copied this from paytc:

We are on the outside of the committee who decides, never really know what logic they will use to decide. That is why we almost have to wait as long as the committee does to start making definite selections.

If CLET loses to Heritage they will take 4 teams from the NCS.

again (unless their is a major upset)

NCS
DI winner in....
D2 winner in
D3 winner in...

4th team? one of the high ranking runnerups (potentially)

CCS
PW
Mitty

(again unless their is a major upset)

SJS
winner of D1...in

2nd team? D2 winner or D1 runnerup

and if NCS DOESNT send 4?....a 3rd team could go from SJS

those are your 8 teams....it aint frign rocket science

the only question is 4 teams from NCS or 3 from SJS

where have I criticz
So if four go from NCS (Heritage, Carondelet, Miramonte and Salesian) and two from CCS that leaves just two for SJS. So the D-1 and D-2 winners? What if SMS beats McClatchy by two and McClatchy has a win over Heritage?

Of course, it could sort itself out on the floor, but there are all sorts of scenarios. Bear Valley is definitely in the picture as well and what if SHC pulls an upset in the CCS semis and beats either Mitty or Pinewood? Do we now have three CCS teams in Open?

Where have I criticized MM??? Can u please show me where???

In fact all I have done is compliment MM on how good of a team they have and how many good wins they have already had this year.

On the other hand I have criticized a certain assistant coach who sits on the bench during MM games who finds it necessary to go on NCP and tell everybody how that REALLY good team (that he's an assistant coach of) shouldn't be competing at the states highest level.

as any one with half a brain knows the Maxpreps computer rankings are fluid and are updated twice/week...

anyone with a quarter brain and a calendar would figure that your Tuesday night post and my Wednesday reply covered the same Tuesday a.m. poll. it'll be good for tomorrow, too. that'll be Thursday. the day after that, if you can count that high, will be Friday, with a new poll out in the a.m.

the computer, with less than 1/2 season data in, ain't that smart. but if you're going to quote it in all caps with three exclamation points, be mindful that 21 and 27 are different numbers. kinda big numbers, huh? that's a lot to digest, I know.

MM looks Open to me now, but too many important games pending for me to get out the pencil.

Last edited:

Then McClatchy and SMS go to open and we're all good! :)

Heritage has head 2 head wins over both SMS (19 pts) and Cardinal Newman (4pts)...so Heritage would go before both teams. And I'm not sure SMS gets in at all unless they win the SJS D1 as they have some bad losses...

SMS
lost to Heritage by 19
lost to Redondo Union by 36
lost to CLET by 27
northbay,
I'm glad to see you back posting again as you obviously have an extreme amount of knowledge. With St Mary's having Oliver back and now beating Heritage in their rematch game, my thinking has changed. The loss to Carondelet isn't a bad loss (especially after last night's win vs. Pinewood). SMS has a bunch of tough games left though, so hard to predict how they will finish. But IMO, they would get the nod over Heritage for Open. It will be interesting how Heritage finishes, but I have a feeling they will lose possibly 2 of 3 between McClatchy, Sac High, and Antelope. And I don't think they will be able to upset Carondelet in D1. So my prediction now is for Heritage to be highly ranked in D1 Norcal playoffs. If they sweep or win 2 of 3 from McClatchy, Sac and Antelope, then maybe they can get an 8 seed in Open.
I agree with you totally that MM is an Open team. They have some high quality wins, and even the close loss to Carondelet looks better now. IMO, I don't think they will lose any more games this season. Of course if they lose to Folsom, this could add a monkey wrench and work towards Clay's suggestions about SJS D1 runner up getting the nod over MM. But I don't think they will lose this Saturday, especially having home court advantage. If they win Saturday and win D2, I would think they are a lock for Open.

northbay,
I'm glad to see you back posting again as you obviously have an extreme amount of knowledge. With St Mary's having Oliver back and now beating Heritage in their rematch game, my thinking has changed. The loss to Carondelet isn't a bad loss (especially after last night's win vs. Pinewood). SMS has a bunch of tough games left though, so hard to predict how they will finish. But IMO, they would get the nod over Heritage for Open. It will be interesting how Heritage finishes, but I have a feeling they will lose possibly 2 of 3 between McClatchy, Sac High, and Antelope. And I don't think they will be able to upset Carondelet in D1. So my prediction now is for Heritage to be highly ranked in D1 Norcal playoffs. If they sweep or win 2 of 3 from McClatchy, Sac and Antelope, then maybe they can get an 8 seed in Open.
I agree with you totally that MM is an Open team. They have some high quality wins, and even the close loss to Carondelet looks better now. IMO, I don't think they will lose any more games this season. Of course if they lose to Folsom, this could add a monkey wrench and work towards Clay's suggestions about SJS D1 runner up getting the nod over MM. But I don't think they will lose this Saturday, especially having home court advantage. If they win Saturday and win D2, I would think they are a lock for Open.
I agree with your thinking. MM should win against Folsom this Saturday. Over the past several weeks, Folsom hasn't performed very well. They performed poorly in the So. Cal. Holiday Prep Classic winning only 2 of 4 games. They barely beat a 7-8 West Campus in OT last Saturday. And they didn't rout an 11-8 Whitney team last night 51-48. McClatchy beat Whitney earlier in the season by 26 points. Actually, if it wasn't for that 2-point win early in the season against McClatchy, Folsom really doesn't look very impressive.

I agree with your thinking. MM should win against Folsom this Saturday. Over the past several weeks, Folsom hasn't performed very well. They performed poorly in the So. Cal. Holiday Prep Classic winning only 2 of 4 games. They barely beat a 7-8 West Campus in OT last Saturday. And they didn't rout an 11-8 Whitney team last night 51-48. McClatchy beat Whitney earlier in the season by 26 points. Actually, if it wasn't for that 2-point win early in the season against McClatchy, Folsom really doesn't look very impressive.
Yes, they lost 2 games in the Holiday Prep Classic, but UC San Diego signee Hanna Beckman didn't play in those close losses. I guarantee with Hanna, they win those games. I admit that I am a bit surprised with the OT win and close game against Whitney, but a win is a win. They have some remaining tough games left against Oak Ridge and Del Oro twice, MM, Centennial and Bear Creek. So their remaining games will be able to tell us a lot before the playoffs.

Reactions: cptmycpa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT