ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Match Ups?

How it was explained to me from an EBAL coach, is they will have an Open/D1 bracket. Very similar to the proposal from 2018, The loser of the Open final will drop back down to the D1 bracket and play the winner of the semi final game for the D1 championship.

For example

1 Vs 8
4 Vs 5

In open

2 Vs 7
3 Vs 6

In D1 bracket

loser to DLS in the final of top portion drops down and plays winner of bottom bracket.

So we would have seen Monte Vista play Pitt in the D1 final. If the NCS gets this approved, be prepared for the SS to follow suit. Mission Viejo vs St John Bosco winner to move on also.

Reactions: THEOC89
How it was explained to me from an EBAL coach, is they will have an Open/D1 bracket. Very similar to the proposal from 2018, The loser of the Open final will drop back down to the D1 bracket and play the winner of the semi final game for the D1 championship.

For example

1 Vs 8
4 Vs 5

In open

2 Vs 7
3 Vs 6

In D1 bracket

loser to DLS in the final of top portion drops down and plays winner of bottom bracket.
I was told it was actually like this. Either way it is a better format than what is in place, including the Folsom rule.

Open:
1 v. 8
2 v. 7

D1:
3 v. 6
4 v. 5

Reactions: concrete17
So we would have seen Monte Vista play Pitt in the D1 final. If the NCS gets this approved, be prepared for the SS to follow suit. Mission Viejo vs St John Bosco winner to move on also.

I am thinking the same way, But I think this works differently Up here then in So Cal because of the sections up here and their fear of playing DLS to win a Championship....

So Cal’s Top Teams want to play for the open, And the Southern Section is a Huge Section with Great HSFB Traditions... In the ERA of Superteams it is hard to remember that Public’s like LBP and Cen10 ruled this Section and MV owned MD for years....

They will play it out down there because everything changes and this transfer stuff won’t last forever.... And up here, everyone will leave that “DLS Problem” to the NCS, so I say good for the NCS to find a solution....

As a DLS fan I hate the fact they they will play no better then the 5th seed in the playoffs which is just sad, boring and stupid....

But what can you do?... Until the sections are Ready to man up and make a 8 team open tournament with the best 2 teams from the NCS, SJS, CCS and 2 at large teams Playing for the open with the opportunity to beat DLS, we will have what we have....

Or we could bring back the Open Play in So DLS and #2 team play and let the NCS runner up play for lower level game which is really the best And most competitive solution to the “DLS Problem....

Reactions: aztecpadre
Gotta love Pitt and their OOC schedule year in and year out. Serra,Oakdale, Valley Christian, and Wilcox. The three best teams in the CCS basically, SI notwithstanding. And Oakdale is never a gimme

Awesome lineup for Pitt. But I’ve gotta give Oakdale some props too. Besides Pitt, the Mustangs scheduled Edison Stockton (before Raleek Brown transfer). Not bad for a SJS D4 school.

Gotta love Pitt and their OOC schedule year in and year out. Serra,Oakdale, Valley Christian, and Wilcox. The three best teams in the CCS basically, SI notwithstanding. And Oakdale is never a gimme

Don't forget they scheduled Half Moon Bay too....who will roll into Pittsburg with all of 23 players.......2 or three of them will be Freshmen.

Awesome lineup for Pitt. But I’ve gotta give Oakdale some props too. Besides Pitt, the Mustangs scheduled Edison Stockton (before Raleek Brown transfer). Not bad for a SJS D4 school.

but is Oakdale really a D4 school??? One horse town with a growing enrollment...

Don't forget they scheduled Half Moon Bay too....who will roll into Pittsburg with all of 23 players.......2 or three of them will be Freshmen.

I was thinking the same thing here, then factor in D4-3 Oakdale who is no pushover but really shouldn’t be a challenge for a program like Pitt. The schedule isn’t as impressive as some make it seem. But again the formula was set awhile back, schedule pushovers or teams you know you can beat but have name recognition, handle league and get favorable playoff position.

Reactions: aztecpadre
I was thinking the same thing here, then factor in D4-3 Oakdale who is no pushover but really shouldn’t be a challenge for a program like Pitt. The schedule isn’t as impressive as some make it seem. But again the formula was set awhile back, schedule pushovers or teams you know you can beat but have name recognition, handle league and get favorable playoff position.
State runner up Serra, who throttled Pitt 58-22 last year? The numbers 2&3 teams in CCS in Valley Christian and Wilcox? Which of those 3 is a pushover?

State runner up Serra, who throttled Pitt 58-22 last year? The numbers 2&3 teams in CCS in Valley Christian and Wilcox? Which of those 3 is a pushover?

I agree!... Next to DLS this will likely be the best Schedule in Nor Cal.... Who else is scheduling better then this?....

Oakdale who Liberty squeaked a victory against.

Galli reached out to De La Salle for a game. Said no. Would only consider a later game and Galli wants one earlier and at Pittsburg. Probably never gets done.

Galli reached out to De La Salle for a game. Said no. Would only consider a later game and Galli wants one earlier and at Pittsburg. Probably never gets done.

I don't know who your "sources" are but you/they are 100% wrong! Never happened period end of story.

Congratulations to Pitt and Liberty! All that crying may land you another chance at a state "championship", lol. Be careful what you ask for though, like Pantera said, if the SS does the same thing you would have to play the loser of the MD-Bisco game every year!

Reactions: Truthhertz

Hahahahaha

but is Oakdale really a D4 school??? One horse town with a growing enrollment...

LMAO, I knew if I threw in the SJS D4 part someone would comment. Thing is, do I feel like they play like a D4 school? No But are they a sized like a D4 school? Yes. As for the booming little one horse town, enrollment in 09 was 1609, enrollment in 19 was 1568.

which is why I didn’t question those choices. While 3 out of 5 is respectable for NorCal programs booking small schools/programs by much larger programs is hard to swallow. Especially when both are public. And for what it’s worth not sure why Pitt or anybody in NorCal would schedule up? Just a few years back Pitt was penalized for this because of a preseason OT loss to a team that played nobodies. That team was selected to the open Pitt forced into D1. Liberty ended up with the loser plays on state title. So in context it’s respectable for NorCal when everything is considered.

I don't know who your "sources" are but you/they are 100% wrong! Never happened period end of story.
So you’re saying nothing was ever considered and they never talked? Ok. If you say so. But unless you’re the DLS AD, Edison, Alumbaugh or Kenion, you can be wrong.

Or are you disputing Oakdale didn’t almost beat Liberty last season?

Either way, I don’t see any other NCS non-DLS team playing as tough a schedule as Pittsburg does. But that’s the cool part of this site. Debates are welcomed

Congratulations to Pitt and Liberty! All that crying may land you another chance at a state "championship", lol. Be careful what you ask for though, like Pantera said, if the SS does the same thing you would have to play the loser of the MD-Bisco game every year!
*Congratulations to Pitt and Liberty and Clayton and Central and Folsom and all the other teams in the CCS and SJS who now get to skate past De La Salle to get to the State Bowl games.

Last edited:
which is why I didn’t question those choices. While 3 out of 5 is respectable for NorCal programs booking small schools/programs by much larger programs is hard to swallow. Especially when both are public. And for what it’s worth not sure why Pitt or anybody in NorCal would schedule up? Just a few years back Pitt was penalized for this because of a preseason OT loss to a team that played nobodies. That team was selected to the open Pitt forced into D1. Liberty ended up with the loser plays on state title. So in context it’s respectable for NorCal when everything is considered.
Agree, but sometimes exceptional smaller programs, like Oakdale, will schedule up and a larger school will accept because they're an exceptionally consistent smaller program. Liberty played Oakdale last year, Folsom played them a couple seasons ago. But generally speaking, I don't like the larger programs scheduling down either.

*Congratulations to Pitt and Liberty and Clayton and Central and Folsom and all the other teams in the CCS and SJS who now get to skate past De La Salle to get to the State Bowl games.

DLS has become so powerful and consistent, that they really are no longer in the conversation. Why even bring them up at all ?
Here's wishing you great football

Last edited:
DLS schedule:
North Shore-Houston TX
Elk Grove
St. Francis
Cathedral Catholic
St. Mary's
Folsom
California
San Ramon Valley
Amador Valley
Clayton Valley

who will pose a legit threat? Anyone?

DLS schedule:
North Shore-Houston TX
Elk Grove
St. Francis
Cathedral Catholic
St. Mary's
Folsom
California
San Ramon Valley
Amador Valley
Clayton Valley

No Monte Vista again this year? SRV & Cal are the only 2 schools to have consistently scheduled DLS every year since they went quasi-independent.

DLS schedule:
North Shore-Houston TX
Elk Grove
St. Francis
Cathedral Catholic
St. Mary's
Folsom
California
San Ramon Valley
Amador Valley
Clayton Valley

north shore will be favorites right? Weren’t they state champs in Texas and I’m sure they got more talent on paper then DLS, besides that I see them favorites in all the other games

So you’re saying nothing was ever considered and they never talked? Ok. If you say so. But unless you’re the DLS AD, Edison, Alumbaugh or Kenion, you can be wrong.

Or are you disputing Oakdale didn’t almost beat Liberty last season?

Either way, I don’t see any other NCS non-DLS team playing as tough a schedule as Pittsburg does. But that’s the cool part of this site. Debates are welcomed

Possibly Saint Francis. They will play DLS and Corona Del Mar in preseason and then the WCAL. That’s a pretty tough resume.

DLS schedule:
North Shore-Houston TX
Elk Grove
St. Francis
Cathedral Catholic
St. Mary's
Folsom
California
San Ramon Valley
Amador Valley
Clayton Valley

How good is DLS going to be next year compared to this years team?

How good is DLS going to be next year compared to this years team?
I think there’ll be a drop off for sure. Garrett carried them the past two years on both side of the ball. They have two big backs returning, and rumor has it they are moving Zeke Berry to running back. I’ll say 9-1 with a NCS win over Pittsburg, and then getting whooped by Matre Bosco. So status quo pretty much.

Couldn't find good competition in the NCS?

Just kidding... sort of.

Oakdale also lost to Palma... and Manteca... and Sierra.

People are still in denial that the NCS, other than DLS, just wasn't that strong last year in D-I. NCS was pretty good in D-III and DIV, just not D-I.

DLS schedule:
North Shore-Houston TX
Elk Grove
St. Francis
Cathedral Catholic
St. Mary's
Folsom
California
San Ramon Valley
Amador Valley
Clayton Valley

Strange that Cathedral Catholic renewed their contract.

People are still in denial that the NCS, other than DLS, just wasn't that strong last year in D-I. NCS was pretty good in D-III and DIV, just not D-I.

Ok, NCS Open/Dl (DLS), NCS D-lll and NCS DlV all pretty good. And oh by the way an NCS Dll team won a state bowl title as well.

Possibly Saint Francis. They will play DLS and Corona Del Mar in preseason and then the WCAL. That’s a pretty tough resume.

Are the Lancers traveling to SoCal? CdM is about 7 miles from my condo, although they play at Newport Harbor HS. I saw Los Gatos play them a few years ago when they traveled to Newport Beach.

Last edited:
Ok, NCS Open/Dl (DLS), NCS D-lll and NCS DlV all pretty good. And oh by the way an NCS Dll team won a state bowl title as well.

Clayton Valley was not at true D-II team. You know that. I know that. The American people know that. Other than CVC, who else was very good in D-II? No one.

Ordinarily, there is at least one team in D-I where you might raise an eyebrow when they're playing DLS. That was not the case in 2019. The traditional powers consistently struggled against lower competition.

You can continue to make apologies for D-I, but the results on the field speak volumes. They clearly showed a lot of parity, just not a lot of quality.

You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Palma was pretty good but inconsistent last season. Young at QB. Oakdale will probably be better than they were last season - stud RB who is a speedster and they seem to have strong underclass. Palma will reload - better on line which was pretty good last season, and more experienced QB who has talent, but young at RBs (may start a pretty good soph), and decent receivers. Skill player speed will be okay but last season they had very fast skill players. If Palma gets better at DBs and LBs, the could be very good. I think they may have a tough matchup again against Oakdale but it also will be at Palma (they beat Oakdale at their home which is tough).

I thought Liberty was overrated last season. Not close to what they were the year before. Not saying not a good team, but they also lacked on offensive weapons compared to last season (that Liberty skill player last season was one of the better players in Norcal and he impacted every game). Pitt usually has a decent nonleague schedule. I like what Galli does there. Maybe would like to see them play at least one SFL team, one top WCAL, and one top EBAL team in their nonleague and maybe one second tier Socal team. They seem to have a program that reloads relatively consistently and they always have athletes. Just seems they can up the schedule a little.

Folsom is another team that should improve their schedule. Playing DLS is great, but they also should play WCAL and Socal team.

Clayton Valley was not at true D-II team. You know that. I know that. The American people know that. Other than CVC, who else was very good in D-II? No one.

Ordinarily, there is at least one team in D-I where you might raise an eyebrow when they're playing DLS. That was not the case in 2019. The traditional powers consistently struggled against lower competition.

You can continue to make apologies for D-I, but the results on the field speak volumes. They clearly showed a lot of parity, just not a lot of quality.

You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

CVC was 0-5 vs NCS D1 teams, yet ran the table in D2 and won NorCal and state bowl games. We all know they should have been D1, but they lost to a lot of good NCS D1 programs. It’s easy to dismiss NCS D1 when DLS wins every year. The same way it would be easy to dismiss all of NorCal if we didn’t have the Folsom Rule and all sections had to play their way past DLS.

I thought Liberty was overrated last season.

Butterfield signed Oregon, McNorton signed Wash St, Zdroik signed Air Force, Borrelli signed FCS Southern Utah, Calhoun a Jr offered by Arizona St, Cal and UCLA. McNorton(eligibility) and Calhoun (Injury) didn't play until game 5. They did not have the skill players they had a year ago, but I don't think the team or the NCS was overrated. The NCS record in NorCal regional bowls would prove that.

Pitt probably had the most improvement of any team over the course of the season. They were woefully bad at DLS summer tournament. Hats off to the staff for getting them turned around by season's end. Unfortunately, they met up with DLS to end their run. So like Valley Christian and Wilcox we really don't know how they would have done. We only know that the NCS had the best run of any section in NorCal/Central Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT