ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Match Ups?

Butterfield signed Oregon, McNorton signed Wash St, Zdroik signed Air Force, Borrelli signed FCS Southern Utah, Calhoun a Jr offered by Arizona St, Cal and UCLA. McNorton(eligibility) and Calhoun (Injury) didn't play until game 5. They did not have the skill players they had a year ago, but I don't think the team or the NCS was overrated. The NCS record in NorCal regional bowls would prove that.

Pitt probably had the most improvement of any team over the course of the season. They were woefully bad at DLS summer tournament. Hats off to the staff for getting them turned around by season's end. Unfortunately, they met up with DLS to end their run. So like Valley Christian and Wilcox we really don't know how they would have done. We only know that the NCS had the best run of any section in NorCal/Central Cal.

I don't know. Piitt seemed inconsistent even towards the end of the season and even against league opponents like Antioch which wasn't particularly strong. BVAL was not as strong. Watched Liberty in person the last couple seasons and the previous year executed much better and seemed more explosive. College prospects doesn't always translate into great teams. I think overall Norcal top tier program teams were down compared to previous season with DeLaSalle an exception. That includes CCS and SJS. Smaller school teams seemed to be relatively strong in some sections but not so much in others and reason for close scores in some games.

I don't know. Piitt seemed inconsistent even towards the end of the season and even against league opponents like Antioch which wasn't particularly strong. BVAL was not as strong. Watched Liberty in person the last couple seasons and the previous year executed much better and seemed more explosive. College prospects doesn't always translate into great teams. I think overall Norcal top tier program teams were down compared to previous season with DeLaSalle an exception. That includes CCS and SJS. Smaller school teams seemed to be relatively strong in some sections but not so much in others and reason for close scores in some games.
Praying for a resurgence of Football players in NorCal. Lets hope the downward trend doesn't continue. For all programs...including the DLS Hype Machine.

Praying for a resurgence of Football players in NorCal. Lets hope the downward trend doesn't continue. For all programs...including the DLS Hype Machine.

lots of good prospects for 2021 in NorCal, recruiting analyst Brandon Huffman just even write an article about the amount of quality this year in NorCal

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
I don't know. Piitt seemed inconsistent even towards the end of the season and even against league opponents like Antioch which wasn't particularly strong.
Antioch is a rivalry game and they still pulled out the win. Serra lost their rivalry game to SI and we recognize them as a quality team. Liberty was better on the defensive front this year but didn't have the athletes to challenge in the passing game(agreed). Folsom had the same amount of athletes as always but the SJS rose to what they saw as an opportunity to dethrone them. MT was better, Oak Ridge was better, Inderkum was better. I think when traditional powers aren't strong we feel like its a down year. St Mary's struggled, Folsom struggled(relatively). I think CCS was just as strong as SI got better to make things interesting, you just didn't have the top 3 teams from CCS go to the playoffs like years past which is a perception that they might not have been as good.

Reactions: Paloma
This is San Diego Cathedral Catholic.... To my knowledge thy have never played DLS....

My bad... I knew that. That's what happens when you stray during the offseason. You fall out of the loop and memory fades!

Reactions: THEOC89
CVC was 0-5 vs NCS D1 teams, yet ran the table in D2 and won NorCal and state bowl games. We all know they should have been D1, but they lost to a lot of good NCS D1 programs. It’s easy to dismiss NCS D1 when DLS wins every year. The same way it would be easy to dismiss all of NorCal if we didn’t have the Folsom Rule and all sections had to play their way past DLS.

I'm not dismissing D-I because of DLS. I'm dismissing it because of all of the other results. Ordinarily, there are a lot of nice wins coming out of NCS D-I. That just didn't happen. Instead the "good" teams routinely struggled against the "not-so-good" teams and people just made excuses for them. Liberty struggled against Oakdale. California, San Ramon Valley, and Pitt struggled with 2-8 Antioch (no, I don't buy the "it's a rivalry game" excuse, either). SRV got crushed by Monterey Trail. Monte Vista beat Bishop O'Dowd by the same score as freakin' Seaside. Sorry, but the evidence that D-I was down is overwhelming.

"Oh, Oakdale is just a tough place to play!" Then Palma goes in and beats the Mustangs by double-digits. Then Manteca does the same, yet Liberty struggled to the end. Sorry, I don't buy it. As far as I know, the dimensions of their field is the same as anywhere else.

As for CVC, they were much bigger and had much more depth than Aquinas... yet, they barely pulled that game off. Aquinas was also an SS D-X/D-XI team just a couple of years ago.

Antioch is a rivalry game and they still pulled out the win. Serra lost their rivalry game to SI and we recognize them as a quality team. Liberty was better on the defensive front this year but didn't have the athletes to challenge in the passing game(agreed). Folsom had the same amount of athletes as always but the SJS rose to what they saw as an opportunity to dethrone them. MT was better, Oak Ridge was better, Inderkum was better. I think when traditional powers aren't strong we feel like its a down year. St Mary's struggled, Folsom struggled(relatively). I think CCS was just as strong as SI got better to make things interesting, you just didn't have the top 3 teams from CCS go to the playoffs like years past which is a perception that they might not have been as good.
In CCS, Serra wasn't as strong as previous year (at least on defense and injuries hurt some on offense) and SI was better than previous season but they weren't as strong as their strongest years. WCAL was down some at the top. SFL was overall dpwn other than probably Oak Ridge but they also lost to Folsom - more parity in that league. No juggernaut this last season. As far as section comparisons - yes top teams were very comparable but overall all were a little down. Not a strong year in Norcal at the top programs. Central Fresno was the best team next to DLS which clobered them when they played and even they didn't look unbeatable during the regional and state. Very good team and probably second in Norcal but even their Tri-river league was comparable to WCAL and SFL and overall seemed slightly down.

SI was a far, farrrrr better team than Antioch.
Northbay had it right, and Cal14 is partially right. Liberty embarrassingly underperformed last year. Nail biters against Two division 3 schools and one division 2 school, and did so with three college D1 linemen, a college D1 tight end, a college D1 wide receiver, and the best quarterback on the west coast and no one is lighting them up the way Pittsburg was after 2018 when they lost to Centennial, De La Salle, Clayton in Overtime, and lost a nail biter to Liberty with a backup QB. Plus Pittsburg beat Liberty twice. Once held them to 21 and the second time held them to 14. People were ready to run Galli out of town after 2018. But in Brentwood they get merit badges for effort and a lifetime supply of corn on the cob.

That being said, I think you CCS apologists need to give Pittsburg more credit. They are something like 8-2 against the CCS over the past 5 years and have a winning record against the SJS too. Then Galli turns around and schedules 4 of the top 8 teams in 2019 from the CCS in 2020. Yikes!

In CCS, Serra wasn't as strong as previous year (at least on defense and injuries hurt some on offense) and SI was better than previous season but they weren't as strong as their strongest years. WCAL was down some at the top. SFL was overall dpwn other than probably Oak Ridge but they also lost to Folsom - more parity in that league. No juggernaut this last season. As far as section comparisons - yes top teams were very comparable but overall all were a little down. Not a strong year in Norcal at the top programs. Central Fresno was the best team next to DLS which clobered them when they played and even they didn't look unbeatable during the regional and state. Very good team and probably second in Norcal but even their Tri-river league was comparable to WCAL and SFL and overall seemed slightly down.
This was the best Serra team of all time, just look at the recruits. Beating Pitt, SM was a task alone.

In CCS, Serra wasn't as strong as previous year (at least on defense and injuries hurt some on offense) and SI was better than previous season but they weren't as strong as their strongest years. .
The 2018 Serra defense that gave up 37+ points five times last year was better than the 2019 defense that didn't give up 37+ once?

Northbay had it right, and Cal14 is partially right. Liberty embarrassingly underperformed last year. Nail biters against Two division 3 schools and one division 2 school, and did so with three college D1 linemen, a college D1 tight end, a college D1 wide receiver, and the best quarterback on the west coast and no one is lighting them up the way Pittsburg was after 2018 when they lost to Centennial, De La Salle, Clayton in Overtime, and lost a nail biter to Liberty with a backup QB. Plus Pittsburg beat Liberty twice. Once held them to 21 and the second time held them to 14. People were ready to run Galli out of town after 2018. But in Brentwood they get merit badges for effort and a lifetime supply of corn on the cob.

That being said, I think you CCS apologists need to give Pittsburg more credit. They are something like 8-2 against the CCS over the past 5 years and have a winning record against the SJS too. Then Galli turns around and schedules 4 of the top 8 teams in 2019 from the CCS in 2020. Yikes!
Better QB in West Coast was Salinas High Carl Richardson from what I saw.

That’s what I meant. Weak defense
The state run 17-18 the defense was mediocre in comparison to this years, still solid though. Without that offense they don’t go far, some Central team put like 50 on them but gave up 80. 2019/20 defense carried them to face Corona team who was much better then Cahon from a talent and coaching standpoint.

Reactions: northbayfb
The state run 17-18 the defense was mediocre in comparison to this years, still solid though. Without that offense they don’t go far, some Central team put like 50 on them but gave up 80. 2019/20 defense carried them to face Corona team who was much better then Cahon from a talent and coaching standpoint.
Agreed. I think that was a bad take on Serra D for this year. That CDM team had some serious weapons and didn't have the rain to slow down their pass game.

Dude, you're all over the place... just like the real Lee Corso.

Never said that Pitt wasn't historically tough. Just that last year, in general, NCS D-I (aside from DLS) was down. Having the #2 NCS D-I team being about on par with the CCS #3 team hasn't routinely been the case, but it was last year.

I know you have been lobbying hard for him and Salinas all year. The key for him will be to improve on decision making and he will certainly get that chance at Northwestern.
Saw both players several times.My opinion. I'm pretty good with picking QBs over the past 30 years. One has been in the NFL for several years and wasn't that heavily recruited. He should do fine at Northwestern.

Nice matchups! The Liberty DO matchup should be great, if the former Liberty coach is still the guy at DO. Clayton really stepping up in the scheduling. East side Catholic should be a nationally ranked team next season. What’s Monte Vista have coming back? How does Logan look in year 3 under Rodriguez and staff? Great lineup. Wish Pitt was in it. Looking forward to a great weekend of football.

Ok, NCS Open/Dl (DLS), NCS D-lll and NCS DlV all pretty good. And oh by the way an NCS Dll team won a state bowl title as well.
That state title was embarrassing for California HS football and is best left unspoken about. Take a 500 D1 program place them in the easiest bracket in all of California D2 NorCal, and scrape out a 10-7 win. They had them play the game against a D4 team from a coed school with enrollment around 500 is shameful. Pumping air into that event does nothing to add credibility to NCS or California HS football.

Reactions: MC415
That state title was embarrassing for California HS football and is best left unspoken about. Take a 500 D1 program place them in the easiest bracket in all of California D2 NorCal, and scrape out a 10-7 win. They had them play the game against a D4 team from a coed school with enrollment around 500 is shameful. Pumping air into that event does nothing to add credibility to NCS or California HS football.

Tell that to Elk Grove, who couldn’t get done what all the NCS D1 teams who CVC played did.

Tell that to Elk Grove, who couldn’t get done what all the NCS D1 teams who CVC played did.

You can spin it however you want. That is a terrible look for California HS football. That was not a good football team/teams/ or game. Pretending as if they are state champions is embarrassing. But again we are talking about NorCal football, where they go out of their way to find a easy path. (Folsom rule, losers advance, etc.) That whole situation almost makes Liberty’s championship look legit. (Not)

Last edited:
You can spin it however you want. That is a terrible look for California HS football. That was not a good football team/teams/ or game. Pretending as if they are state champions is embarrassing. But again we are talking about NorCal football, where they go out of their way to find a easy path. (Folsom rule, losers advance, etc.) That whole situation almost makes Liberty’s championship look legit. (Not)

Great Posts!!!... LMAO!!!!....:):):)

I totally agree with the whole “Easy Path” thing and this is a Product of Nor Cal’s Section issues and teams unwillingness to have to play DLS for a Championship....

If there was a way to combine all the sections in Nor Cal and just do D1 on down where it would be guaranteed that DLS meets the second best team in Nor Cal in the Playoffs....

This new NCS D1 is just stupid.... DLS won’t face greater then the #5 seed to go to the highest level Bowl Game??... DLS doesn’t want that, why even play....

It’s time to bring the Regional back or something.... The top teams need to play each other up here.... I am with you, it is getting kind of embarrassing....

Speaking of which, I head this week (Tuesday I believe) the NCS approved the new playoff format for D1 and Open having a combined bracket starting in 2020

Interesting that in the new format, DLS will be in the same bracket as the #2 seed (Pitt in most years) along with #7 & #8, while the #3 through #6 seeds are in the other bracket which won’t face DLS or Pitt, but will get a NorCal berth.

So instead of the teams other than Sparty shooting for the #2 seed to be on the opposite side of the bracket as DLS, now the #3 and #4 seeds will be the most highly valued. Will the NCS allow the #2 seed to voluntarily drop to the #3 spot? That looks like a major problem/issue to me.

Interesting that in the new format, DLS will be in the same bracket as the #2 seed (Pitt in most years) along with #7 & #8, while the #3 through #6 seeds are in the other bracket which won’t face DLS or Pitt, but will get a NorCal berth.

So instead of the teams other than Sparty shooting for the #2 seed to be on the opposite side of the bracket as DLS, now the #3 and #4 seeds will be the most highly valued. Will the NCS allow the #2 seed to voluntarily drop to the #3 spot? That looks like a major problem/issue to me.
The #1 and #2 seed being in the same bracket makes absolutely zero sense. Admittedly I haven't read up on the changes, but in what bracket format have the top two seeds ever been on the same side?

The #1 and #2 seed being in the same bracket makes absolutely zero sense. Admittedly I haven't read up on the changes, but in what bracket format have the top two seeds ever been on the same side?

Its 2 different 4 team brackets. #1 plays #8, and the winner plays the winner of 2/7.

In the other bracket #3 plays #6, and the winner plays the winner of 4/5.

The winners of both brackets move on to NorCal and don’t face each other. It’s on page 26 of the 27 page link that Northbay posted above.

So if your the #2 seed your season will be over and if your 3-6 you get to play a NorCal game because you aren’t as good as the #2 seed?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT