ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle opens with a Texas-size challenge

Where Are They Now

Sports Fanatic
Sep 6, 2011
Alamo
By Mitch Stephens

De La Salle’s storied football program has seen just about everything since Bob Ladouceur took over the program in 1979. Everything but Texas. That changes Saturday.

The Spartans will be in sold-out Vernon Newsom Stadium (capacity: 11,134) near Dallas to play Trinity-Euless before an ESPN2 audience. Kickoff is at 6 p.m. PDT.

The Spartans — arguably the nation’s most recognized prep team — are looking forward to making their debut in a state where high school football “is religion,” De La Salle senior quarterback Anthony Sweeney said. “I'm so excited to go down there and try to prove ourselves.”

Though De La Salle has claimed multiple mythical national titles and four state titles in five years, once won a national-record 151 straight games and last year was portrayed in a major motion picture — “When the Game Stands Tall” — it hasn’t fared so well in early out-of-state games.

In 2004, it had its win streak stopped against Bellevue (Washington) 39-20 in Seattle. In 2009, the Spartans lost at Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, N.J.) 30-6, the same score by which they were defeated two years later at St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The Spartans enter Saturday’s game ranked No. 1 nationally by MaxPreps.com and USA Today, in large part because of a bevy of returning skill players, led by running backs Antoine Custer and Andrew Hernandez — who combined for 3,753 yards and 54 touchdowns last year — and two of the state’s most highly rated linemen, 6-foot-2, 300-pound defensive tackle Boss Tagaloa and 6-5, 270-pound tight end Devin Asiasi.

Tagaloa and Asiasi are two of De La Salle’s three players who check in at 270 or more. Trinity boasts nine at least that big, including 6-4, 290-pound defensive lineman Chris Daniels, a four-star recruit.

Trinity, which won large-school Texas titles in 2005, 2007 and 2009, reflects the notion that everything is bigger in its state. The Trojans use that size to overpower opponents with an old-school, ball-control running attack.

“Their linemen are just humongous,” said Randy Jennings, a writer for the Dallas Morning News who has covered Texas high school football for 40 seasons. “They just maul people. They’re like road graders. The play like teams did here 20 years ago and opposite of how about everyone plays today.”

Converted senior fullback Tyler Natee (6-0, 217), who rushed for more than 1,400 yards a year ago, is the team’s quarterback. Speedy running back Ja’Ron Wilson (5-10, 185) returns after gaining 1,791 for last year’s 12-2 team.

Trinity’s line, though massive, is all new, which is why it’s ranked only ninth in Texas by MaxPreps.

“They’re just really big and really physical,” De La Salle head coach Justin Alumbaugh said. “We’ll need to keep the ball from them and match or better their physicality.”

Though the novelty of De La Salle playing in the land “Friday Night Lights” is great, the game figures to be fast and simple. Both coaches — Trinity is led by first-year head coach Chris Jensen — exchanged video of all of last year’s games and their respective scrimmages from last week.

“There won’t be any secrets,” said Jensen, Trinity’s offensive coordinator for the previous 14 seasons. “Whichever team does best what they do best will win the game.”

Jensen, an assistant coach for 25 years, replaced Steve Lineweaver, who retired in December after going 258-43-2 in 22 seasons. Jensen’s first assignment is the nation’s No. 1 team.

“It was like, ‘Thanks a lot,’” Jensen said. “Actually, they gave me the option to cancel the game. But you know what? We could have opened against someone around here and been fine because there is plenty of good competition here. But this is an experience the kids and coaches won’t ever forget. It’s a special opportunity.

“That said, it was much easier saying, ‘Yes’ in February to the game than it is now after seeing them on video. Now it’s like, ‘What was I thinking?’”

I'm at the Desoto-Martin game that precedes the DLS game. If this is the type of speed that typifies Texas HS football, DLS will roll.

Martin's FG kicker is pretty amazing, though. He's hit 2 40-yarders that would have been good from 55.

The lines for both teams are big, but I haven't seen anything from the skill positions that I haven't seen from good California teams. Desoto can't stop fumbling.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it.

I'm at the Desoto-Martin game that precedes the DLS game. If this is the type of speed that typifies Texas HS football, DLS will roll.

Martin's FG kicker is pretty amazing, though. He's hit 2 40-yarders that would have been good from 55.

The lines for both teams are big, but I haven't seen anything from the skill positions that I haven't seen from good California teams. Desoto can't stop fumbling.

Funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing. For the sake of entertainment hopefully Trinity plays with more speed and explosiveness or it will be over quick.

Cal, pretty cool you are at Vernon Newsom Stadium. De Soto is firing up toward the end of this game. I've seen De Soto play a couple times in the past. They seem to be a few notches below their norm tonight.

Hope you will post some in-stadium insights about DLS tonight. Looking forward to your expert observations via posts here!

Cal, pretty cool you are at Vernon Newsom Stadium. De Soto is firing up toward the end of this game. I've seen De Soto play a couple times in the past. They seem to be a few notches below their norm tonight.

Hope you will post some in-stadium insights about DLS tonight. Looking forward to your expert observations via posts here!

Hey Addict,

Good to hear from you again. Yes, I was working in Austin this week, so I made the quick trip up here and my brother flew out from the Bay Area. I'll post from time to time, provided my phone battery holds out.

One thing to note is that there's lightning to northwest. One recent flash seemed like it's getting closer.

Hey Addict,

Good to hear from you again. Yes, I was working in Austin this week, so I made the quick trip up here and my brother flew out from the Bay Area. I'll post from time to time, provided my phone battery holds out.

One thing to note is that there's lightning to northwest. One recent flash seemed like it's getting closer.

Just went to Weather Channel. Radar shows fast moving clouds to northwest just as you saw. Looks good.
Here's the link: http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/Eustace+TX+75124:4:US

Hah! Eat my words. Announcers say a 30 minute weather delay. Promise to keep my day job which is NOT weather interpretation/predictions.....

For golf, 30 minutes from last lightning strike inside 25 miles. Using that rule of thumb it would be a 8:50 start. At what point do they say start in the morning?

Watching both DLS/Trinity and BG/Chandler. BG doesnt seem quite a potent as last year but still good. DLS is looking pretty good after first series.

Why does a 6-1 240 qb go towards the end zone and then run backwards. Put your head down and lower the boom son. Fumbles to DLS

Well DLS tries to get cute and fumbles on a double reverse. Trinity to the House 14-12 with 20 seconds left in half after another missed xp

I've never seen the Spartans tackle so poorly. Trinity runners deserve some of the credit but come on now!

DLS known for precision ,execution and mistake free football get 2 12 men in huddle penalties in first half. Bet that never happened under LAD watch

Cal 14. What is your perception now of TEXAS football. Trinity seems to be doing what it wants on the ground with speed and power. Granted DLS vaunted defense can't tackke

I wouldn't say they've been doing whatever they want. Texas has great football but they never leave the state. If you think Trinity is winning this game as much as De La Salle is shooting itself in the foot then idk what to tell you.

Both teams have some turnovers deep in opponent territory. But it's the 3rd qtr and wilson must have close to 150 yds rushing and qb has 80. They are lining up to run and running it. That's pretty much doing what they want. I again agree DLS is tackling poorly but give some credit to Trinity. They are marching again

DLS is going to lose this game. To many turnovers and trinity is legit. It's a combo. D1 players all over the place.

Trinty haa taken control. DLS needs a turnover. That play call and fumble in q2 really changed the momentum although the Spartann got lucky with a turnover before that. Sweeny needs to work on his passing. Even if the Spartans pull his out they are not a #1

Trinity is having a nice second half. DLS is playing really sloppy - starting mid second quarter. The can't tackle and keep fumbling the play. Jeez - DLS wake up!

It went from looking like DLS was about to go up 21-6 to DLS getting rolled. DLS keeps missing tackles and Trinity players are tough to tackle.

If they had a QB hat could Pass, theyould be up in this on. Of course Sweeney runs the option will but his passing today has been terrible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT