ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle opens with a Texas-size challenge

I only bet with the "elite" like myself.

You ruined your chance at a bet with me about 10 responses ago lol

Owned.

Passing is encouraged. Remember.

"If DLS would have had Peyton Manning, they would have won!"- SPortela

Lollllllllll☺☺☺☺☺

Trinity was definitely the better team out there today, they executed better and made fewer mistakes, the more deserving team won today. I don't buy the argument by DLS supporters that Trinity didn't win the game today, that DLS lost it, that's hogwash. Being prepared and making fewer mistakes is absolutely a part of winning and losing However once DLS tightens things up they'll be the better team.

It'll be interesting what happens at the end of the year if Folsom runs the table and DLS wins out with the one loss vs Trinity. I'm thinking the commissioners will give Folsom the Open nod as a carrot for being passed up the last couple of years. Of course it's Week 0, so this is a little early, and DLS still has to play Serra next week which won't be a cream puff game.

I'm a Folsom and I'd be a little surprised if they run the table this year. I think the SFL as well as Grant will be much more difficult to run the tablr this year. I'm definitely pulling for them but wouldn't be surprised either way.

G61, you're embarrassing yourself. Folsom doesn't need or want you embarrassing them. DLS made mistakes, there's no need to be a jerk. And yes, I'm a real Folsom fan, also a Sac area fan.

Reactions: concrete17
Until DLS gets some real athletes at the skill position they need to stop embarrassing themselves and the state of California. They do not have the talent to match up with Florida and Texas athleticism. DLS have too many non-athletic kids playing WR and DB. These positions are not a threat to teams from FL and TX that's why Trinity loaded up on DLS run game and attacked their DB's on offense. Any coach out there with a half a brain should know this by now.

Last edited:
Until DLS gets some real athletes at the skill position they need to stop embarrassing themselves and the state of California. They do not have the talent to match up with Florida and Texas athleticism. DLS have too many non-athletic kids playing WR and DB. These positions are not a threat to teams from FL and TX that's why Trinity loaded up on DLS run game and attacked their DB's on offense. Any coach out there with a half a brain should know this by now.

How exactly did DLS embarrass themselves or CA? Did I miss something? The game I witnessed was decided by a single play. If DLS completed the pass from Asiasi, they likely win. If they didn't, they lose - which they did. This wasn't some 38-6 beatdown in which one team was clearly over matched. The Spartans led the entire 1st half and for most the game. Both teams had success running the ball and both teams missed tackles due to the physicality. It was an evenly matched game that came down to the final possession and final play. How anybody could argue otherwise is beyond perplexing.

Reactions: GloryDays98
G61: stick to posting about Folsom. By the way, other than Clayton Valley Charter, do they play anyone this year?

G61: stick to posting about Folsom. By the way, other than Clayton Valley Charter, do they play anyone this year?

They play Clovis north, who was supposed to be good but lost to Franklin this week. Del Oro is also on the list.
IT would be great to see Folsom play an Open game but short of DLS losing 3+ games, it just isn't going to happen. Folsom gave up the Open game when they put together their schedule. Clayton Valley is their best opponent all season, Clayton Valley is good but it isnt Servite, Orange Luthern, Long Beach Poly or possibly even Serra.
What I watched last night was a really good DLS team making the early season mistakes they have been known to make the last ten years. Fumbles, poor execution, and time management have haunted DLS early before. It isn't new territory. They still have a big mountain to climb and the players are going to need to find themselves.
The DLS kids, despite what it seems like, go to school there to learn. This season will be a fantastic battle for them to learn from.

G61,
Your hype is hype thing is dumb. Dls is a proven program with less then 30 loses since the mid 70's. The school has give take 1000 kids. What they do and the respect they get is history not hype. A great group of players playing for a historically phenomenal program, playing the strongest schedule they have ever played, is going to create hype. Hype by definition is meant to get people more exited then they are supposed to be. Believing hype is foolish, centering your posts around people's belief in hype is foolish. Hype is just that, it's hype. The media uses it to produce viewers like yourself who want to see if the hype is right or wrong.

Actually I'm right on with the hype. DLS was ranked NUMBER ONE in the nation prior to last just. Did you forget that? They laid an egg on national TV, and displayed a lack of athletic ability, inability to tackle, and inability to throw the ball even 5 yards. Those are all basic concepts. For a NUMBER ONE team to not be able to do these things is blasphemy. For those reasons, it was all hype. Don't use past success as a future measure of greatness. You still have to play the games.

Honestly, Folsom will not run the table this year in my opinion. Not from what I saw on Friday night. They're league schedule will be tough this year. No Browning and the loss of of nine D1 starters is rough. A state title game appearance would be a far cry in my opinion. We all missed the bus in terms of being able to see Folsom at its best, against the DLS that laid an egg in national TV last night.

Hype is just that. Hype.

I was not impressed with either Folsom or DLS in their first games. Folsom is still a good team but the new QB threw for less than 200yds and was no Dano Graves with his feet. The recievers and the line play were a clear drop off from last year. Their running backs look solid. They will clearly improve a great deal as the season goes on. DLS tackled like shit..I have never seen such poor tackling from them. As usual, their QB can't hit a wide oen reciever, and the line play was average by their standards. Where was Boss? He was invisible in that game. I will give Trinity some credit but DLS made so many mental mistakes. I still see them going to the open game but only because Norcal doesn't have the depth of Texas or Socal. Folsom will likely lose a game in the SFL but grow into a possible D1 bowl contender

How exactly did DLS embarrass themselves or CA? Did I miss something? The game I witnessed was decided by a single play. If DLS completed the pass from Asiasi, they likely win. If they didn't, they lose - which they did. This wasn't some 38-6 beatdown in which one team was clearly over matched. The Spartans led the entire 1st half and for most the game. Both teams had success running the ball and both teams missed tackles due to the physicality. It was an evenly matched game that came down to the final possession and final play. How anybody could argue otherwise is beyond perplexing.
Thunder, what I'm saying is DLS hasn't had the athletes in those places "lately" to beat the schools they've played from FL and TX. No need of name dropping such type talent because I'm sure most here know what I'm talking about. If I wasn't born and raised in Cali I would assume/presume California don't have very athletic kids based on DLS roster. Yes I agree with you that the score was close but I also had the feeling that Trinity was on the verge of blowing that game wide open last night. I say this because of their athletic advantage. I personally believe DLS should discontinue scheduling these teams because they are outmatched big time in the skilled position area.

Here's a few examples I'm talking about from the offense side of the ball in regards to DLS lack of athleticism: In the 2Q with a little over 8min to play in the Q on 2 and 4 DLS goes up top to a receiver that had no chance of catching the ball if it was perfectly thrown. As a matter of fact, the trinity DB would have caught the ball if it had been perfectly thrown. Perfect play call by the coaching staff in my opinion after picking up 6 yards on first down. The problem is DLS doesn't have the athletes in space that demand any attention. Example #2, DLS was marching the ball down the field after the huge gifted fumble recovery. Btw, this blown call may have helped DLS from being blown out to be honest. Anyway, during this series of plays DLS marched the ball all the way down to Trinity's 45 yard line. The DLS coaches call another solid play where they got a delayed Iso on a Trinity DB off a double move. The only problem was the DLS WR left his athleticism along with his hands at the house in Cali. Now I'll name drop a few players from Cali that I know would have made that Trinity DB look foolish on that double move Iso play. Players such as Brandin Cooks Lincoln of Stockton, Jalen Saunders Pleasant Grove or Davante Adams Palo Alto just to name a few. So all I'm saying is since DLS doesn't have these types of athletes on their roster it makes no sense to schedule a top notch FL or TX team in my opinion. They should schedule a lower tier team from these states until they get the Cali athletes that can compete on this level of play. Once they get the athletes that can compete with these teams than schedule them. I'm sure that you know talent plays a big part in sports so I'm sure you get my point here. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
I've read the comments about DLS's poor tackling last night. So was it simply "poor tackling" or did the Trinity RB Ja'Ron Wilson & stud QB Tyler Natee [239 lbs. converted fullback]] have something to do with that? The obvious plays most fans are referring to involved tackling those 2 players.On numerous plays both players simply broke tackles and refused to go down.

The one play I remember best was Ja'Ron Wilson breaking tackles and changing field direction and then had about 5 DLS players hanging on him along the sideline when the ref blew the whistle. On the broadcast the announcer commented "Can you believe Wilson is still standing? He just would not go down!"
All I'm saying is give some credit where credit is due...

How many times did the trinity RB run around the edge? I have never seen DLS fail to contain the outside runs. Yes, the RB had something to do with that but their where numerous plays where the ends got sucked in or just took terrible angles to the ball. After a while, it went from shocking to laughable. As well coached as DLS is they just kept making the same stupid mistakes over and over

I've read the comments about DLS's poor tackling last night. So was it simply "poor tackling" or did the Trinity RB Ja'Ron Wilson & stud QB Tyler Natee [239 lbs. converted fullback]] have something to do with that? The obvious plays most fans are referring to involved tackling those 2 players.On numerous plays both players simply broke tackles and refused to go down.

The one play I remember best was Ja'Ron Wilson breaking tackles and changing field direction and then had about 5 DLS players hanging on him along the sideline when the ref blew the whistle. On the broadcast the announcer commented "Can you believe Wilson is still standing? He just would not go down!"
All I'm saying is give some credit where credit is due...

De La Salles defense looked like a pile of flying squirrels. There were multiple instances where the Dls defenders would have made a tackle or would have forced the ball carrier out of bounds had they not dove. There were a few plays where the ball carrier actually did make some good plays but the Dls tackling was the worst I have ever witnessed.

Unlike PGownsWHITNEY I didn't think Trinity was too athletic. Centennial last season was freakishly athletic. This Trinity team just met force with force and won. PG is correct though that Trinity attacked DLS corners whenever possible. Trinity looked to stretch allot to the perimeter and when they threw the ball they got it out to the flats. On the run plays though there was usually a defender there to make a play but the play didn't get made. Props to Trinity. That's good coaching and good execution. They found a weakness and exploited it.

What killed me is the first guy on DLS kept coming in to lay the wood and didn't wrap up. I don't think I saw an alligator roll all night. A few players on Trinity had some big legs and DLS kept running full speed into them and bouncing off. I was expecting to see the first guy shoot the single leg and the next guy fly in to deliver the hit. Just didn't workout that way.

The double reverse. Ohhhh, the double reverse. No one play wins or loses a game but the double reverse getting returned for 6 was a back breaker. If DLS goes up 21-6 the talk on this board would have been a whole lot different. That hurt.

Good game by both squads. Both teams came to play and left it all on the line. DLS showed well for the state of California as did Trinity for Texas.

Last edited:
De La Salles defense looked like a pile of flying squirrels.

LOL - that is a great description.

I was pretty disgusted with the poor DLS performance. DLS forces me to admit that Florida and Texas is better HS football. Sure, DLS will greatly improve over the season to once again challenge at the Regional/State level. But what happened to this program's standard to be ultra-prepared by season beginning that seemed to be a hallmark previous to 2004. Such performances as last night gives strong credence to the fact that California HS football is just not as strong as CA fans would like to believe.

Or DLS was just overhyped?

They weren't as good as advertised?

Remember this was the NUMBER ONE ranked team in the country. Seems the voters in this poll think very highly of CA.

No more excuses. DLS just got beat.

Trinity has huge lines on both sides of the ball, probably bigger than most teams in California, and they're not of the "fat guy in pads" variety that DLS is used to playing where they gas in the 3rd and 4th quarters and DLS can enforce their will on them. I know Boss and Devin plays both ways but I don't think Trinity had any guys that played both ways, and the usual second half dominance you see from DLS lines just wasn't there, Trinity certainly was holding their own. That last DLS drive was actually pretty strong, they were gaining good chunks of yardage on the ground, but towards the end, with the hold/fumble/spike/delay penalty, the train just came off the tracks and they couldn't recover.

Historically, the majority of DLS' roster has never passed the eye test. Sure they have a handful of blue chippers coming through every year, but if you look at the majority of the roster and a good number of starters, they've never been a team that made you think they were spitting out NFL players left and right or capable of being in the "national ranking" discussion. There have been many more SoCal teams, like Long Beach Poly, that have passed the eye test with more athletic players. DLS has been successful because they execute, and the execution last night was to be honest, piss poor too often. That dropped pass by the WR that should have been a TD, that mishandle on the double reverse that led to a Trinity TD, the missed wide open receiver at the end of the game that should have been a TD, that botched snap on the last drive that took DLS out of the red zone...those are all mistakes the great DLS teams that have never "passed the eye test" would have executed. Those four mistakes alone directly accounted for three touchdowns, possibly a fourth. Those are the plays that win you big games if you execute, and those are the plays DLS were not able to execute vs Trinity.

I counted at least 9 different excuses in that DLS excuse tirade/history lesson.

It's time to move on people. DLS is not number one. Get used to it.

Unlike PGownsWHITNEY I didn't think Trinity was too athletic. Centennial last season was freakishly athletic. This Trinity team just met force with force and won. PG is correct though that Trinity attacked DLS corners whenever possible. Trinity looked to stretch allot to the perimeter and when they threw the ball they got it out to the flats. On the run plays though there was usually a defender there to make a play but the play didn't get made. Props to Trinity. That's good coaching and good execution. They found a weakness and exploited it.

What killed me is the first guy on DLS kept coming in to lay the wood and didn't wrap up. I don't think I saw an alligator roll all night. A few players on Trinity had some big legs and DLS kept running full speed into them and bouncing off. I was expecting to see the first guy shoot the single leg and the next guy fly in to deliver the hit. Just didn't workout that way.

The double reverse. Ohhhh, the double reverse. No one play wins or loses a game but the double reverse getting returned for 6 was a back breaker. If DLS goes up 21-6 the talk on this board would have been a whole lot different. That hurt.

Good game by both squads. Both teams came to play and left it all on the line. DLS showed well for the state of California as did Trinity for Texas.
@slick58, I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying. I would think we could agree that Trinity had better skill players than DLS. Basically, that's all I'm saying. And I totally agree that Centennial had far more superior athletes than Trinity. The difference is that Trinity figured out how to utilize their skill position players to beat DLS. Moving forward I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Centennial copy cat a lot of the success Trinity had against DLS last night.

I've read the comments about DLS's poor tackling last night. So was it simply "poor tackling" or did the Trinity RB Ja'Ron Wilson & stud QB Tyler Natee [239 lbs. converted fullback]] have something to do with that?

A couple of thoughts.

First, I agree about Wilson and Natee. Both kids were beasts and had a lot to do with the missed tackles. Sure, the Spartans certainly didn't represent fundamental tackling very well, but, Wilson especially, just would not go down. Tough, tough kids. I really enjoyed seeing them play and was impressed.

Secondly, and this is not mentioned as an excuse for DLS but rather an additional reason for the poor tackling display we've really never seen out of them before, but is it possible that CA's new rules that have limited offseason practice also had something to do with it? Someone brought up the point on another board and I hadn't thought about it beforehand but it makes a lot of sense. One of the Spartans staple qualities over all these years has been their blocking and tackling -- ie the fundamentals. It does seem quite the coincidence that we'd see such a decline in these fundamentals on the heels of these practice limitations. Again, Trinty had some tough to tackle talent, no doubt, but, still, the lack of wrapping up the ball carrier was extremely evident all game long.

Lastly, I don't pretend to know the rules and guidelines in Texas, so they may have been in a similar boat. But if they weren't, as someone suggested on another board, the extra preparation time certainly would have been an advantage and played a factor in the game.

While I'm not a Bay Area guy or a DLS apologist, I do wonder how their record against the likes of Trinity, Aquinas, Don Bosco, and Lakeland might differ if the games were played mid-to-late season instead of within the first week or two or three. For the most part, DLS has lost those games due to a ton of self-inflicted mistakes, most notably ball handling within their veer scheme. The near upsets by Serra-San Mateo and Bellarmine were largely due to the same type of mistakes.

Sure, all teams are far from finely tuned early in the season and most every team with competent coaching greatly improves over the course of a season. DLS doesn't have the market cornered in that regard. That said, our Cal teams NEVER seem to get the benefit of the Spartans beating themselves later in the season. Their offense seems to be such that when the timing and execution are off just a little, it affects them more than most teams running more conventional offensive systems. When their timing is on, their offense seems more unstoppable and consistent than most every team. Our CA teams have had more opportunities to take advantage and beat them in the first 3 weeks than than at any other point in the season. IMO, DLS in week 5 wouldn't have committed the multiple unforced turnovers near the end zone that we saw last night. That doesn't mean they beat Trinity in a game played later in the season, but I like their chances a lot more when they aren't fumbling snaps and handoff exchanges.

Does anybody think Del Oro, Granite Bay, or the East Bay is going to see the Spartans be so free with the ball when they play them? It never seems to happen.

Last edited:
I counted at least 9 different excuses in that DLS excuse tirade/history lesson.

It's time to move on people. DLS is not number one. Get used to it.

If you think my post was an excuse, either you can't read or can't comprehend, and you just post drivel because you have nothing of substance to say. I find it ironic you've tagged most of your recent posts with "Hype is just that. Hype." when you've made your name hyping the most hyped team in the history of the SJS, which was 2014 Folsom. They were a nice little team that most of us have already forgotten, you should perhaps change your tag line to "2014 Folsom, Never Forget"

Reactions: bulldogmgc
#1 lost to #62 from another poll. So much for rankings. FYI, Trinity sounds like it's parochial, however, it's a public with Bay Area-like diversity. They embraced the Polynesian angle many years before Franklin/Grant and newcomer deLa. The beast QB for Euless, who pounded the dLS trenches, succinctly said, "We were wearing them down."

If you think my post was an excuse, either you can't read or can't comprehend, and you just post drivel because you have nothing of substance to say. I find it ironic you've tagged most of your recent posts with "Hype is just that. Hype." when you've made your name hyping the most hyped team in the history of the SJS, which was 2014 Folsom. They were a nice little team that most of us have already forgotten, you should perhaps change your tag line to "2014 Folsom, Never Forget"
Re-read your post. Yes, those are excuses.

Just say, we aren't the best team anymore and move in. It's really not a big deal.

I find it comical that middle aged men have so much riding on a high school football team like DLS. Unbelievable. Stop with the excuses.

As for hype. DLS was the NUMBER ONE RANKED TEAM IN THE NATION. They lost to a team outside THE TOP 50! I mean, c'mon!

As for Folsom- 2014 state Champs. Gone but not forgotten, ad displayed in this chat ☺

If you think my post was an excuse, either you can't read or can't comprehend, and you just post drivel because you have nothing of substance to say.

Hatch - you're better off ignoring these posts. He always responds as if he didn't read, comprehend, acknowledge or consider what you said. If you differ with his anti-DLS agenda, you are labeled as a Bay Area homer. It's part of the shtick. You can't have an intelligible back and forth discussion. I gave up last Fall. Just a word to the wise.

If you knew me, you would know I am actually far from anti-DLS. I actually enjoy watching them play.

The whole thing is more about watching all of you go ballistic when anyone dares to say something bad about DLS.

It's not worth it to engage in real conversation with facts and observations with all of you. Many of you are so far gone, you refuse to consider any fact that makes DLS look bad in the slightest way.

Humble pie is tasty :)

Hatch - you're better off ignoring these posts. He always responds as if he didn't read, comprehend, acknowledge or consider what you said. If you differ with his anti-DLS agenda, you are labeled as a Bay Area homer. It's part of the shtick. You can't have an intelligible back and forth discussion. I gave up last Fall. Just a word to the wise.

Can you imagine how rich his podiatrist is getting by fixing all those self-inflicted wounds.

I think he means Euless has a strong Tongan community that always brings in players to the football program .

I get that. I just don't get the part about embracing the culture well before Grant Union. How exactly does one arrive at that conclusion?

Re-read your post. Yes, those are excuses.

Just say, we aren't the best team anymore and move in. It's really not a big deal.

I find it comical that middle aged men have so much riding on a high school football team like DLS. Unbelievable. Stop with the excuses.

As for hype. DLS was the NUMBER ONE RANKED TEAM IN THE NATION. They lost to a team outside THE TOP 50! I mean, c'mon!

As for Folsom- 2014 state Champs. Gone but not forgotten, ad displayed in this chat ☺

There's a difference between excuses and analysis, excuses are for people that say "DLS should have won if it wasn't for" "they should have played DLS at the end of the year" or "they should have played at DLS". I'm saying DLS lost and should not have won, the better team on the field won that game, deservedly so. I'm comparing what I've seen from DLS teams in the past to the DLS team last night, and where the team last night wasn't able to execute. I can't speak for Trinity because I don't know much about their team, but the Trinity team last night is a solid team. The lines are huge and conditioned, the QB is a monster, they have athletes on both sides of the ball and they have a playmaker in Ja'Ron Wilson who at the high school level can score a TD anytime he touches the ball.

Also I'm enjoying how you're using the same arguments I've used against you when you post on the Mercury News site as sacfootball talking about "Bay Area homers". There are DLS supporters here who have a lot of pride riding on the success of a bunch of high school kids, but you can't say you don't as well, because you've always made it a point to insult 16-17 year old kids when possible to prop up the SJS teams. You clearly are the textbook middle aged/aged man who identify pride, success, and self-worth of yourself with the success of your local high school football teams, and the disrespect you feel the teams in the SJS receives really chafes your ass. A lot of that is because of the success of DLS and how they've basically been the roadblock from your teams being the Belle Of The Ball and able to post and brag about what could have been multiple State Open bowl game bids/victories for your SJS teams.

Reactions: TedSmithers
Wow, that must have took a long time to write.

A better team beat you. End of story.

No need for all this "other" stuff. Move on.

And...SJS teams get PLENTY of respect in CA. Just ask anyone from the North Bay or Oceanside ;)

A minor point about quoting DLS as the consensus #1 ranked team in the U.S. of A. - Simply put they were not.
Too much is being repeated on this post about that as being fact, when it was simply one poll/website that ranked them #1.
Several other polls ranked Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas as the #1 ranked team, while another ranked IMG of Florida as #1 and the computer site Freeman rankings had DLS as #4 [just to clarify]. Anyone who follows the pre-season rankings knows they are simply "guesstimates" & until 2-3 games are played no one knows who is as good OR as bad as the pre-season rankings/ratings.

Where they were ranked is neither here nor there. It doesn't really matter. Most people would have put them in the top 5 nationally.

They were beat by a team that was considered outside the top 50.

I don't see DLS going back yo Texas anytime soon except maybe to visit the Cracker Barrel ☺

Where they were ranked is neither here nor there. It doesn't really matter. Most people would have put them in the top 5 nationally.

You've posted in several posts, some in all caps, that DLS was the #1 team in the nation to support your "hype is hype" posts. You're starting to backtrack, though it makes you look like a bigger homer than the DLS homers. At least the DLS homers are consistent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT