ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs Mater Dei Open Div Champion Prediction

I haven’t coached in a few years. And it wasn’t at Alhambra. Alhambra has probably one of the top three worst coaching staffs in NorCal. Greatness doesn’t challenge weak underperforming teams except for Folsom. However I do think Folsom is a great team. But they are the absolute definition of a paper champion.

Excellent Post Coach! I agree with you 100%!.... Thanks for continuing to share your Football knowledge and insights with the readers of this board!....

And don't worry about that Crazy Dude, he has been doing this stuff for years... its best to just not answer him and he will eventually just short circuit and come back as someone else.... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Humbab
Did you really just try to compare Folsom Defense with MD defense?

Tell me which defense was more physical and put more pressure on the others OL in that Folsom game? Then tell me who committed the turnovers? Teams that are getting pushed backwards make concentration mistakes.
DLS wasn’t getting pushed backwards in that game.DLS didn’t have minus run yardage against Folsom
Please don’t ever try to compare this Folsom Defense to the MD defense not even close

First, I never said that Folsom's defense was better than MD's. So let's stop that right there.

Having made that point, you can still compare their performances against the same opponent. If you can't agree with that, there's nothing left to discuss.

Despite not having 'as good a defense', Folsom did hold DLS scoreless for a half and to very low yardage. That is a fact. They accomplished it by disrupting the DLS line for much of that 1st half. Some of that disruption involved penetration. So my point to you is that they accomplished the same thing (penetration) and stymied their rush attack yet didn't see the same benefit of unforced fumbles via bad snaps.

You have no viable answer for that so are instead spinning this into a strawman argument. I never once stated that Folsom's defense was as good as MD's. I only compared their performances against the same opponent, which is not at all out of line. And Folsom did manage to hold them to fewer points and similar overall yardage on the whole. That's only one game and doesn't represent an entire season. I think most understand that. But what it does demonstrate is a similar defensive performance against the same team that didn't also benefit from the unforced QB-Center exchanges.

So if one team gets penetration and disrupts timing similarly to another yet it didn't result in QB-Center exchange problems, it's easy to conclude that good fortune was involved. IMO it's akin to getting hand in the face of a shooter in basketball. Sometimes it causes a missed shot, sometimes it doesn't. So what is the different between the two? Good fortune.

Reactions: TheComish33
First, I never said that Folsom's defense was better than MD's. So let's stop that right there.

Having made that point, you can still compare their performances against the same opponent. If you can't agree with that, there's nothing left to discuss.

Despite not having 'as good a defense', Folsom did hold DLS scoreless for a half and to very low yardage. That is a fact. They accomplished it by disrupting the DLS line for much of that 1st half. Some of that disruption involved penetration. So my point to you is that they accomplished the same thing (penetration) and stymied their rush attack yet didn't see the same benefit of unforced fumbles via bad snaps.

You have no viable answer for that so are instead spinning this into a strawman argument. I never once stated that Folsom's defense was as good as MD's. I only compared their performances against the same opponent, which is not at all out of line. And Folsom did manage to hold them to fewer points and similar overall yardage on the whole. That's only one game and doesn't represent an entire season. I think most understand that. But what it does demonstrate is a similar defensive performance against the same team that didn't also benefit from the unforced QB-Center exchanges.

So if one team gets penetration and disrupts timing similarly to another yet it didn't result in QB-Center exchange problems, it's easy to conclude that good fortune was involved. IMO it's akin to getting hand in the face of a shooter in basketball. Sometimes it causes a missed shot, sometimes it doesn't. So what is the different between the two? Good fortune.
There is no comparison as to what MD did to the DLS offense and what Folsom did.MD completely and overwhelmingly dominated the line of scrimmage with physicality which Folsom did not.Did they play well,of course but not with the same dominance and physicality
We all saw both games.I don’t know why this is so hard for you to admit.
You also conveniently failed to answer my question about who was the more physically dominant defense in the DLS Folsom game and subsequently who turned the ball over.
I firmly stand on my assertion that teams that are getting dominated at the line of scrimmage are susceptible to mental/lack of concentration mistakes

At this point of the season De La Salle's offensive line has always been their strength where by the time the 4th quarter comes around that unit is just absolutely blowing the other team off the line. Mater Dei's D-line was having none of that, they held DLS to negative rush yards for the game. When's the last time that happened?

At this point of the season De La Salle's offensive line has always been their strength where by the time the 4th quarter comes around that unit is just absolutely blowing the other team off the line. Mater Dei's D-line was having none of that, they held DLS to negative rush yards for the game. When's the last time that happened?
Not only that but DLS playbook was fully open against MD while it was vanilla against Folsom.With the big pass plays they were hitting you would think it might open up the run game but no.The MD front 7 was just dominating the line of scrimmage

Reactions: remc and THEOC89

Dude... For some reason you seem to be holding on to this notion that What Folsom's Defense did to DLS was something special... This is a quote from the first post I made on this board... "Folsom proved this once again this year when they "Moved heaven and earth" to Schedule a very sub-par DLS offensive team in the 1st game of the year"....

You can Try to Compare MD's Effort against DLS to what Folsom Did, but what Folsom did was play a Sophmore QB making his first start in the first game of the year... So all the "Spin" you continue to put on a Shutout loss by 2 TD's that was somehow a Great Defensive Effort by Folsom doesn't make any sense...:)

Great defense shuts down offense... MD Held CC and SJB to 14 and 13 in back to back games And DLS held Folsom to 0 when they played for the Open... that is GREAT DEFENSE... Folsom's Defense is just Awful... 46 points to that Slow Moving 1-AA Fresno Team was ridiculous... You can't tell me that MD, Bosco or DLS would be allowing 46 points to THAT TEAM because it was a "Fast paced Game"... :):)

Now I will Agree to this, When you are Talking about Playing Defense against 1-AA Level Teams and Below, then Folsom is #1 in the State!!!! I Don't Dispute that at all!!!.... :):):)

Reactions: Humbab

While I do agree with you on some points, one thing being over looked by everybody is the fact that half of DLS O-line was different from the Folsom game to the MD game. The O-line was WAY WEAKER and less physical for the Folsom game. DLS always tends to give seniors the benefit of the doubt at positions to begin the season and then let it shake out by the end of the season. The O-line was far superior (even though MD made them look avg) in the state game than Folsom game. TR. you are definitely one of the most fair posters on here. Keep doing your thing.

Reactions: ThunderRam
While I do agree with you on some points, one thing being over looked by everybody is the fact that half of DLS O-line was different from the Folsom game to the MD game. The O-line was WAY WEAKER and less physical for the Folsom game. DLS always tends to give seniors the benefit of the doubt at positions to begin the season and then let it shake out by the end of the season.

Completely agree. But the quality of DLS's line doesn't factor in. I'm quite sure they're a lot better now that then. Regardless of quality, they still didn't encounter problems with the exchange despite being stymied and pressured for a half and throughout the game.

Even when facing really good defenses that challenged their offense over the years, the Spartans rarely have turned the ball over to their NorCal opponents as they have to others.

Who was folsom missing that you knew of?
I’ll answer thIs question that was posed to Commish (but please, don’t assume I’m in his corner on most of his ‘over the top’ statements.) I’m not stating it means much, but yes, Folsom’s best defensive player missed the DLS game.
Pierre Chandon....DE (transfer...had to sit)

I’ll answer thIs question that was posed to Commish (but please, don’t assume I’m in his corner on most of his ‘over the top’ statements.) I’m not stating it means much, but yes, Folsom’s best defensive player missed the DLS game.

Would he even start for Mater Dei?

Actually most of those cities are in the “Concord area”. They’ve also been known to attract star players from Marin, Fairfield, Benicia, Richmond, Oakland and the likes. That’s been well documented and I don’t think any DLS people are going to dispute that.

At some point in the late 80s, DLS went from being a school with a good football program that Lad built with local catholic kids, to a NorCal and then National powerhouse that attracts football players and families of all faiths from many areas that want to play for a winner. MD (and other schools) kids transferring in to earn rings their senior years are upping the stakes.

It remains to be seen if DLS will resort to seeking transfers if they still want to be a national power and the top CA team, or continue to do what they do and remain the Kings of NorCal. We’ve already seen some NorCal transfers to the South. The HS football and sports landscape is changing.

Agreed on all points. Recall that ‘Gades 10, former NCP v. 1.0 contributor (deLa student, Vandal staffer,) alerted us to the soph transfers circa 2009. Without those two backs, the Westlake SBG W is more like Aquinas that year. So it’s true senior transfers are rare. But that doesn’t mean the coaches and admissions are in total disconnect as some claim. As far as the one senior transfer from NG, c’mon! Colleges are admitting on SAT/ACT and gpa. Any notion that Sr year grades or classes at the upper end of admissions are weighted is BS. Maybe for the borderline 2.0s, “If you don’t get any Ds Sr year we shall keep your spot open at NorthwestSouthernUpperLakeCanyon University.”

True, HS FB has entered an entirely altered landscape.

“seasonal insurance” LOL

My point was coming into that game did we know he was their best player. I don’t think defense was a problem for folsom their offense was a problem dls started a sophomore he looked a lot better in the open game than the first game which is why a lot of people say on here that dls would lose by a couple more tds. But I have never seen a team shut down dls running game like that i seen a lot of negative yard runs

My point was coming into that game did we know he was their best player. I don’t think defense was a problem for folsom their offense was a problem dls started a sophomore he looked a lot better in the open game than the first game which is why a lot of people say on here that dls would lose by a couple more tds. But I have never seen a team shut down dls running game like that i seen a lot of negative yard runs

Look...I’m not arguing anything to do with the DLS v Folsom game. I was simply answering a question that was posed asking ‘who was Folsom missing from their Defense.’
To be clear, I don’t think the reason DLS won the game was because Folsom was missing a great player. Yes, I think Folsom ‘could've’ won that game....but not that they “should’ve”. I saw two good teams, and DLS came up with more big plays when it mattered. I do think Folsom’s stubbornness may have cost them. They were having solid first half success with Ngata out of the backfield, but they never stuck with it. I think they should have ran MUCH more. But in the end, those are “what if’s”...DLS shut em down when it counted.

To answer your above question, “Yes” would be the answer. Coach R considered Chandon to be their best defensive player BEFORE the season began. He already held multiple scholarship offers prior to the DLS game.

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT