ADVERTISEMENT

Elle Ladine

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
She's the real deal. A 5-9 point guard at Lowell, she's a soph who did not play on the program's varsity last season. But the scouts are well aware of her skills, courtesy of club basketball. She already has a number of Division I offers, and for good reason. She's a bonafide talent. Quick, tough, selfless, strong, tireless, she is an outstanding shooter, with range, and a nifty passer; she rebounds and defends. Late last week, she put on a show against Half Moon Bay in a loss: 29 points, 15 rebounds and an all-around effort worthy of a much bigger stage. She is not surrounded by a particularly strong cast so her assist numbers are not nearly what they will be at the next level and savvy opposing prep coaches who prepare will be able to double-team her without paying a price for that tactic. She sees the floor and anticipates well and instinctively. She appears to be upbeat, pleasant and quite coachable. Lowell, presumably, has her for another two years. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Reactions: Coach_Case
she is ver good....too bad didnt go to a HS with higher level hoops....

So far, it doesn't seem to matter much at all. She appears to be enjoying herself, regardless of the level of her teammates and the AAA itself. It's almost as though high school basketball is somewhat irrelevant since her future college career is well on track. However, there is nothing written in stone that says she can't transfer if she so chooses.

By the way, it is interesting that, arguably, the best players in San Francisco and San Mateo County (Ladine and Capuchino's Afeaki, a gifted 6-1 forward) are currently enrolled at public schools. How novel in this day and age.

Last edited:
She’s got great court awareness. Is is the gal who played JV last year because the school has a policy of no frosh on Varsity? I can’t imagine her playing against JV teams.

She’s got great court awareness. Is is the gal who played JV last year because the school has a policy of no frosh on Varsity? I can’t imagine her playing against JV teams.

It was absurd to watch it last year. It was a total waste of her time and effort at the JV level.

Put Ladine in a high-profile prep program and her status would shoot up dramatically. Can only imagine what it would be like for her at one of the NorCal private/parochial powerhouses. Lowell is mighty lucky to have her today. And, to be honest, you can say much the same thing about Afeaki at Capuchino, a team that has not been a serious CCS factor in nearly 40 years.

Put Ladine in a high-profile prep program and her status would shoot up dramatically. Can only imagine what it would be like for her at one of the NorCal private/parochial powerhouses. Lowell is mighty lucky to have her today.
She reminds me of Sofia Fidelus from Salesian. I think that's where she plays. Nice feel for game

Thanks for sharing the video. Fun kid to watch and looks like she's having fun, which is always the best thing! good handles, vision...would love to see her play live! Good luck kid!

the first play wasnt the best decision. also that exact player she passed to might be the reason she needs to play at a better school.

what a ridiculous comment...needs to play at a better high school? She's fine at Lowell and maybe is there because of it's academic reputation.
if you smart you smart. it isnt like she would be transferring to Castlemont High or something.

Our Eureka girls are looking forward to defend our title and seeing Capuchino and Afeaki at the Lincoln High tourney this coming weekend.

This whole thing about needing to go to another school doesn’t really matter all that much in today’s hoops world, IMHO...

I’m sure that if this girl is ambitious and wants to get a scholarship, she’ll play in the summer with and against higher-level players. And that’s almost certainly the place where colleges might spot her.

Signed, Captain Obvious

Reactions: colhenrylives
This whole thing about needing to go to another school doesn’t really matter all that much in today’s hoops world, IMHO...

I’m sure that if this girl is ambitious and wants to get a scholarship, she’ll play in the summer with and against higher-level players. And that’s almost certainly the place where colleges might spot her.

Signed, Captain Obvious

And according to the original post, she’s already received multiple D1 offers. So she’s at a fantastic school academically and has already sewn up a D1 ride. What’s not to like?

Signed, Captain Obvious
until you get to the next level and realize how much better everyone is and you havent faced that in 4 years of high school basketball. then you transfer back to california and play division 2

Reactions: alwayslearning
until you get to the next level and realize how much better everyone is and you havent faced that in 4 years of high school basketball. then you transfer back to california and play division 2

again, another dumb assumption. There are plenty of D5 players to have successful career at the D1 level. Some have been first team All American. High School isn't the only place to play against good competition and is a sliver in the whole grand scheme of things related to annual basketball activities.

AAU starts in February and ends in August...a person has plenty of time to play against top level. talent.

again, another dumb assumption. There are plenty of D5 players to have successful career at the D1 level. Some have been first team All American. High School isn't the only place to play against good competition and is a sliver in the whole grand scheme of things related to annual basketball activities.

AAU starts in February and ends in August...a person has plenty of time to play against top level. talent.
its a dumb assumption to think aau basketball from april-august is getting you better.

Reactions: alwayslearning
Consider these WNBA players:

Amanda Lassiter (Mission)
Erin Buescher (Rincon Valley Christian)
Brandy Reed (Balboa)
Jamie Redd (International)

Of course other WNBA players went to local powers, but it seems clear to me that the level of high school competition will not put a ceiling on eventual development. It could be that the coaching and competition at some schools might slow development time, but as long as the club team plays against high level opponents, I think most of the foundation can be laid.

In the end, though, it's up to the player to put in the work, regardless of the situation.

The sole area that Ladine might have to get used to is the Division I college emphasis on the half court, both defense and offense. There is a lot less full-court free-lancing at that level. She will adjust, however. She's that solid and savvy.

Believe I started the " too bad not at a higher level basketball hs". I meant it for her. For the area. Its just a fun time for her surely which is what it is all about. But a bummer for the WCAL or WBAL that she isnt going against a bunch of top level players on a weekly basis. That video shows her ability in spades. With a good coach against good comp frankly she seems could be an all decade type

Good point about having more good players play against and with each other ... it's more fun and good for the game. But it is fairly low on the priority list ...

There is value going to a high school where you feel comfortable.

You can develop as a small school (takes more initiative), but you can't achieve a comfort level by working harder.

Believe I started the " too bad not at a higher level basketball hs". I meant it for her. For the area. Its just a fun time for her surely which is what it is all about. But a bummer for the WCAL or WBAL that she isnt going against a bunch of top level players on a weekly basis. That video shows her ability in spades. With a good coach against good comp frankly she seems could be an all decade type

She makes her teammates better. A lot better.

Consider these WNBA players:

Amanda Lassiter (Mission)
Erin Buescher (Rincon Valley Christian)
Brandy Reed (Balboa)
Jamie Redd (International)

Of course other WNBA players went to local powers, but it seems clear to me that the level of high school competition will not put a ceiling on eventual development. It could be that the coaching and competition at some schools might slow development time, but as long as the club team plays against high level opponents, I think most of the foundation can be laid.

In the end, though, it's up to the player to put in the work, regardless of the situation.

Amanda Lassiter graduated from Washington HS
Jamie Redd played at Wilson HS then International Studies Academy (both closed now)

Our Eureka girls are looking forward to defend our title and seeing Capuchino and Afeaki at the Lincoln High tourney this coming weekend.

Lick-Wilmerding will be at the tourney as well and feature Soph. Annabel Schneiberg.
Could be a good one

Lick-Wilmerding will be at the tourney as well and feature Soph. Annabel Schneiberg.
Could be a good one

Just completed the 6 hour drive home. We ended up losing to Capuchino in the finals by 10. Good defensive game although we did not shoot well from the perimeter. We limited Afeaki to only two 2 pt buckets and 10 points and thought we defended her well. She is a talent.

Eureka girls played hard. Really made us work for every bucket. Good luck the rest of the season.

Reactions: MHarv
Thanks to Lincoln High for hosting a great tournament. Capuchino has not been known as a basketball school. We are certainly trying to change that.

I can confirm the guard from Lick is a good player. Can really shoot and has a great feel for the game.

Thanks to Lincoln High for hosting a great tournament. Capuchino has not been known as a basketball school. We are certainly trying to change that.

Capuchino girls have not been a PAL or CCS factor for 40 years. Is 2020 going to be a re-birth? We'll see soon.

Reactions: SHoff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT