ADVERTISEMENT

Local Job Opening

RealisticParent

Seasoned Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
I just heard this morning that Amador Valley, Dougherty Valley & Foothill are all open. What's going on in the Valley and where are these coaches going?

I will tell where they are going away from the parents who in today's society have more say so in the programs then the head coach.Head coaches are now expected to keep everybody in the house happy good luck with that.I heard granada job is also open don't know if that'true.

This post was edited on 3/30 10:38 AM by bones40

I hope that's not the case but wouldn't be the first time upper middle class parents run coaches out of town.
Isaacs is one of my favorite coaches in the area and when I ref their games, he makes me laugh at least a couple of time and is very much down to earth and very professional. Hansen at Dougherty Valley has come along way since his days at Ygnacio Valley and has done a real nice job at both spots and especially in building a nice program at Dougherty. Cain did a real nice job filling in for Fields (not his biggest fan) and kept them in just about every game this year. Furlong at Granada has underachieved in my eyes and could never consistently get over the hump and I think a new coach will help improve the Mats in years to come.

The moniker "RealisticParent" is an oxymoron. It's a glaring contradiction. There is no such animal as a realistic parent. By definition.

You are probably right about it being an oxymoron but where I am different, is that I am realistic on my kids, their abilities and what goes on around myself & their teams. I don't have blinders on, I don't think all kids (including mine) should get equal or any playing time for that matter and I can see the bigger picture. Playing high school sports (my kids have played football, boys & girls basketball, waterpolo and volleyball) is a privilege and nothing is owed to you but rather earned by hard work and dedication and even some of the hardest working and nicest kids aren't always the best athletes on the team, I know this first hand.

I made some call last night and I heard from a couple reliable sources what went on at Dougherty Valley. All I can say is this is crap and extremely unfortunate. Hansen had done a heck of a job at Dougherty Valley, and for the school district to turn their back on him is awful. This is a coach that has dedicated a good part of a decade to your school in building a well respected program. Parents will be the demise of this sport, other sports and coaches all over the united states. I've lived in the greater bay area a long time and I have seen what parents can do to bring down a program & their coach. I would like to see any parent of any kid in any program live in a coaches shoe for just one month and if and until that happens, they will never truly appreciate the time and dedication it takes to run an entire program, let alone build in from the ground up. Hansen will land of his feet again, I have no doubts about that but what the San Ramon Valley School District and their Superintendent, Mary Shelton has done or lack there of is something they should be ashamed of.

Scout can you out touch on any of the reasons why he was let go.I really respected how hard
his teams play I am sure he will land another job.

I heard it was an off the court and off campus incident that some parents had a problem with. It was not basketball related issue. Parents have way to much authority or power when it comes to how there kids are being coached. Let coaches coach and the parents have enough on their plate trying to deal with the spoiled kids they have raised. I agree with Scout, live in a coaches shoes and if you think you are a better person for the job, apply and take on the beast and you will understand just how ridiculous & unrealistic a few of the parents can be.

Any word on who has gotten those coaching jobs at doughtery valley, Amador, or foothill
also heard Castro valley is open as well.

not sure if its been announced, but its my understanding that Furlong stepped down at Granada. The new coach? Former head coach Greg Gomes will return to the varsity. I think his last year as the varsity coach was 2005-2006 (my younger son's Jr. year). He's been coaching the frosh the past 3 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT