ADVERTISEMENT

NBL/North Bay

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
Little Update.
Newman vs Santa Rosa for Classic Champ.
Newman got stud Gavin Vogesen cleared and at 6”3-6”4 he gives them another great scoring option. Look for newman to run off 8-10 wins in a row.

Montgomery lost a close one 46-41 to a solid Redwood team that should compete for MCAL along with Marin Catholic, Archie Williams, Branson.

My sleeper team is Justin Siena in d4. 10-3 with 2 of those losses to palma and capital Christian in DLS tourney. They have great size and are lengthy.

should be fun as we start league play coming up.

The MCAL is actually pretty dominant at the top this year.

Branson, Archie Williams, Marin Catholic, and Redwood are a combined 36-10!

The MCAL is actually pretty dominant at the top this year.

Branson, Archie Williams, Marin Catholic, and Redwood are a combined 36-10!
Yeah looks to be very good. MC has played a brutal schedule too. Losses DLS, Folsom, Capital Christian, SI, King. Very tested.

Little Update.
Newman got stud Gavin Vogesen cleared and at 6”3-6”4 he gives them another great scoring option. Look for newman to run off 8-10 wins in a row.

Montgomery lost a close one 46-41 to a solid Redwood team that should compete for MCAL along with Marin Catholic, Archie Williams, Branson.

My sleeper team is Justin Siena in d4. 10-3 with 2 of those losses to palma and capital Christian in DLS tourney. They have great size and are lengthy.

I watched Justin Siena at the Healdsburg tournament a few weeks ago. They are legit, especially in D4.

Little Update.

Nice to see that you're starting to come around on some fronts..........

Justin Siena has George Nessman as coach. Formerly HC at DLS, Porterville CC, Bakersfield CC & San Jose st. Dave Granucci left them in great position with an upgrade of talent, add a former D1 coach and no surprise they are doing well.

Newman Beat a feisty Healdsburg Team 65-64 after almost squandering a 14pt lead. They are all underclassman so look for them to make some noise in 2022-23. This year they will be out quick in a brutal ncs d2
When was nessman at DLS? I think I played against him. Yup Justin is a real sleeper in d4.

Nessman coached at DLS from 1984-1993. First few years was as assistant, then he was head coach.

MHS 49/ CN 48 Final in overtime. Video footage not seen yet. Just reported via ysnlive scoreboard. Hopefully there is video out there.

MHS 49/ CN 48 Final in overtime. Video footage not seen yet. Just reported via ysnlive scoreboard. Hopefully there is video out there.
Great rivalry. Monty and newman always play each other close. Sounds like it was all Monty in 1st half and then newman stormed
Back in 2nd to take lead late. Looks like they will be the 2 to beat (again) in nbl.

Great rivalry. Monty and newman always play each other close. Sounds like it was all Monty in 1st half and then newman stormed
Back in 2nd to take lead late. Looks like they will be the 2 to beat (again) in nbl.
Always a close battle. Just saw the game on YouTube. Pretty evenly matched, sloppy at times by both teams. Hopefully Covid doesn't shut down league preventing a rematch at Newman.

Reactions: larry legend33
Justin Siena has George Nessman as coach. Formerly HC at DLS, Porterville CC, Bakersfield CC & San Jose st. Dave Granucci left them in great position with an upgrade of talent, add a former D1 coach and no surprise they are doing well.
No doubt that Justin has gotten better than they have been in the past with some transfers that came in the last year...but please look at some of their early season competition before getting too far ahead - I watch a lot of ball up here and 4 of those wins were against teams with very poor records. Also, overlooked on a regular basis are some teams and players in the VVAL and NBL the past 2 yrs. These teams and players get overlooked because it is the NorthBay. MCAL will be good with the top 4 teams - the bottom 5 have sub .500 records.

No doubt that Justin has gotten better than they have been in the past with some transfers that came in the last year...but please look at some of their early season competition before getting too far ahead - I watch a lot of ball up here and 4 of those wins were against teams with very poor records. Also, overlooked on a regular basis are some teams and players in the VVAL and NBL the past 2 yrs. These teams and players get overlooked because it is the NorthBay. MCAL will be good with the top 4 teams - the bottom 5 have sub .500 records.
UMMMMMMMMM once again we visit www.upsetcity.com or not? Do not sleep on Windsor! They can shoot the lights out! Windsor 61- Cardinal Newman 51. The NBL has got some serious depth this year. Windsor/Healdsburg/CN/MHS/SR can all beat each other on any given night. Go Away Covid! @larry legend33

With all do respect, you are giving windsor, CN and some of these nbl teams too much credit...they shoot volume and aren't very efficient so when they are hot they look good but when they perform to their norm, that's what they are. For some reason a lot of these schools in nbl don't publish their stats in detail, which is telling. It really comes down to possessions and efficiency imo. That said...there seems to be parity at the top to mid level of a lot of these leagues which is similar to other leagues in the bay area that get way more respect and discussion. Good players and good teams in the North bay should be getting more respect.

On another note it was brought to my attention last evening that Petaluma schools are now limiting attendance to indoor events (not even parents) and sure other cities in Sonoma county will follow suit ...which is unfortunate and inconsistent in that they are still allowing kids to attend in class sessions just like they have been. To me this makes no real sense because the athletes are all tested multiple times a week where as student populations are not, unless they have symptoms. Lots of continued confusion and making stuff up as they go by the health boards within counties.
The nbl is pretty weak this year to be honest. Exciting for fans because games are generally close.
The mcal is much better. But Monty did beat Branson earlier in the year. Go figure

Reactions: UncleYacht
The nbl is pretty weak this year to be honest. Exciting for fans because games are generally close.
The mcal is much better. But Monty did beat Branson earlier in the year. Go figure
We'll we have all seen this story before right @larry legend33 ? One or two teams from the NBL come into the playoffs under the radar and then "Bam" they catch "Lightning in a bottle"...and most of those teams in the past that got hot all had SHOOTERS! Around the North Bay I would say that the level of quality shooters is WAY UP this year! NBL just cancelled their postseason tournament BTW...Go Away Covid!

We'll we have all seen this story before right @larry legend33 ? One or two teams from the NBL come into the playoffs under the radar and then "Bam" they catch "Lightning in a bottle"...and most of those teams in the past that got hot all had SHOOTERS! Around the North Bay I would say that the level of quality shooters is WAY UP this year! NBL just cancelled their postseason tournament BTW...Go Away Covid!
VVAL just cancelled there list season playoffs to allow for make up games due to covid as well... VVAL definitely has some shooters and ballers who have been lighting it up for the last 3-4 years. MCAL got some good shooters and players as well. Haven't seen the same caliber in NBL...

Agreed covid covid go away

Hahahha! Love the enthusiasm!

13-3 Redwood with a big win over 10-0 Archie Williams team last night. Defense-focused game had Redwood ahead 22-11 at the half. Redwood's bigs - Ains Fish (21 pts/10 reb) and Charlie Treene (10 points; two dunks) were key in the team victory. Redwood has a busy week ahead and a key MCAL rescheduled game vs. Branson on Monday.

Reactions: MC415
The good thing about the league is the top four are competitive year after year. and the games are fun for the county. When you triangulate over to results against SI…a solid but not incredible team…the difference shows. Branson can hang, but MC barely stayed in range and Redwood got rolled. Tonight…MC squeaked by AW and RW beat AW the other night.

Coaching is solid as well. Younger guys at Branson and Redwood and Tam. Baker up at TL will get them going. Saia gets the most out of what he has at MC. It’s fun in the county.

Nice win after a Covid break. Monty in driver seat although I think if newman played really well they could Knock them off. But overall there size will give the young cardinals issues.
Carillo with a big win over SR. League is down overall but also gap between 1st and 4th is small:

Reactions: concrete17
Most likely the result of the Pumas being on a layover from their comeback W against Santa Rosa, but Montgomery had the empty Viking Dome rocking with a 66-23 home win. @larry legend33 you know what they say "The good teams don't wanna play their best ball early in the season, they wanna play it after a 2 week pause due to Omicron..."

Most likely the result of the Pumas being on a layover from their comeback W against Santa Rosa, but Montgomery had the empty Viking Dome rocking with a 66-23 home win. @larry legend33 you know what they say "The good teams don't wanna play their best ball early in the season, they wanna play it after a 2 week pause due to Omicron..."
Haha!! Looks like those Vikings are the cream of the crop! Newman Beat Burg 51-41 , but nbl champ this year Will need to beat a tough Monty team.

Montgomery goes to Fitzgerald Gymnasium and beats Cardinal Newman 51-46. 1st half was a defensive tussle. 3rd quarter was the opposite and the 4th quarter was sloppy. Newman had plenty of opportunities down the stretch. Moving into the postseason, Newman with a late lead is going to be tough to battle back against. They are nails at the line. Montgomery, on the other hand will most likely be spending more time at the charity stripe after practice is "technically" over...

Montgomery goes to Fitzgerald Gymnasium and beats Cardinal Newman 51-46. 1st half was a defensive tussle. 3rd quarter was the opposite and the 4th quarter was sloppy. Newman had plenty of opportunities down the stretch. Moving into the postseason, Newman with a late lead is going to be tough to battle back against. They are nails at the line. Montgomery, on the other hand will most likely be spending more time at the charity stripe after practice is "technically" over...
Monty the top dog in Sonoma County this year. Sounds like another great game. I missed the feed online.
I think Newman is a year away given most of kids are underclass. Need to find some size.

LMAO....WHEN??? have we seen this story before? Lightning in a bottle???

The NBL is NOT very good... AGAIN....

Seriously when was the last time a NBL team won a SECTION playoff game?

I suspect EVERY NBL boys team will be 1 and done this year also.

And if one team happens to get a 1st round win (probably because they were matched against ANOTHER NBL team) they will be bounced in round 2.

Tha ball sucks in the NBL Yacht.

Every year the fans get caught up in the trap of watching our boys play against each other in the Sonoma County bubble and when 1 team rises slightly above the others everyone gets goo goo eyes over that team.

ONE...

and...

DONE

count on it...

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
LMAO....WHEN??? have we seen this story before? Lightning in a bottle???

The NBL is NOT very good... AGAIN....

Seriously when was the last time a NBL team won a SECTION playoff game?

I suspect EVERY NBL boys team will be 1 and done this year also.

And if one team happens to get a 1st round win (probably because they were matched against ANOTHER NBL team) they will be bounced in round 2.

Tha ball sucks in the NBL Yacht.

Every year the fans get caught up in the trap of watching our boys play against each other in the Sonoma County bubble and when 1 team rises slightly above the others everyone gets goo goo eyes over that team.

ONE...

and...

DONE

count on it...
The year was 2017. I had spent another season saying that Larry doesn't watch games and just looks at win-loss records (which was, is, and always will be true), because he kept hyping Cody Baker and saying he could play DII. Newman was bounced 2nd round at home in NCS and got called up to fill a spot in Norcals, at which point they "caught lightning in a bottle" rattling off an improbable 2-game winning streak before Moreau dropped 80 on them.

Does the SMART train go to Cloverdale yet? Get your tickets now or get mom to drop you off, they will be the only show to see in Sonoma County in March.

The year was 2017. I had spent another season saying that Larry doesn't watch games and just looks at win-loss records (which was, is, and always will be true), because he kept hyping Cody Baker and saying he could play DII. Newman was bounced 2nd round at home in NCS and got called up to fill a spot in Norcals, at which point they "caught lightning in a bottle" rattling off an improbable 2-game winning streak before Moreau dropped 80 on them.

Does the SMART train go to Cloverdale yet? Get your tickets now or get mom to drop you off, they will be the only show to see in Sonoma County in March.
Honestly Bitter I think Piner won a 1st rd section game a couple of yrs(2 yrs?) ago against SONOMA(another NBL team) so someone from the NBL had to get a win...lol
And then lost in the next round.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT