ADVERTISEMENT

NBL/North Bay

The year was 2017. I had spent another season saying that Larry doesn't watch games and just looks at win-loss records (which was, is, and always will be true), because he kept hyping Cody Baker and saying he could play DII. Newman was bounced 2nd round at home in NCS and got called up to fill a spot in Norcals, at which point they "caught lightning in a bottle" rattling off an improbable 2-game winning streak before Moreau dropped 80 on them.

Does the SMART train go to Cloverdale yet? Get your tickets now or get mom to drop you off, they will be the only show to see in Sonoma County in March.
Hahaha. Funny I was at the Whitney game which newman won in 2017 on the road against a 27-4 very good wildcats team. I was also in the stands a few days later when they lost by 14 to the state runner up Moreau. Don’t be a jackass and say things that aren’t true. anybody who knows me is well aware of how many nights I spend in the gym watching hoops. Just a dumb statement. Opinions are one thing but don’t spread bullshit lies.

Honestly Bitter I think Piner won a 1st rd section game a couple of yrs(2 yrs?) ago against SONOMA(another NBL team) so someone from the NBL had to get a win...lol
And then lost in the next round.
i have love for the SCL and NBL squads i watched from 2006-2017. Some quality ball from Casa, Analy, Newman, Windsor, Monty, even Cloverdale for a couple of years there with Rowland - and many NCS games won.

Last edited:
Hahaha. Funny I was at the Whitney game which newman won in 2017 on the road against a 27-4 very good wildcats team. I was also in the stands a few days later when they lost by 14 to the state runner up Moreau. Don’t be a jackass and say things that aren’t true. anybody who knows me is well aware of how many nights I spend in the gym watching hoops. Just a dumb statement. Opinions are one thing but don’t spread bullshit lies.
i'm trolling you, sorry it wasnt obvious. I had a kid in 2017, stopped watching games, and my bitterness was replaced with love and positivity.

PS How many SVDP games have Yacht and Donnie been to?

Sonoma county has become a really good baseball factory. Guru is right though. Hoops has really slid and outside of the area really no factor. With exception of newman girls.

Reactions: UncleYacht
Sonoma county has become a really good baseball factory. Guru is right though. Hoops has really slid and outside of the area really no factor. With exception of newman girls.
@larry legend33 we all know the @northbaybbguru is always right...until he is dead wrong. The North Bay teams have plenty of shooters that on any given Wednesday can head south and upset a higher seed...I believe MHS dismantled a highly seeded and loaded Las Lomas team not too long ago...gotta continue to look at the glass as half full despite the optics...

Newman bounces back with an impressive 65-57 victory at the house that Madison Lott built against Santa Rosa. Montgomery popped on 101 North and beat Windsor who only had 1 league loss to date, 58-41 I think I saw. Too bad they did away with the league tournament this year, if fans were to be allowed, those games provide a "postseason environment" to quote a close source. Lotta hoops left. To be determined if we visit www.upsetcity.com .......

Reactions: larry legend33
Newman bounces back with an impressive 65-57 victory at the house that Madison Lott built against Santa Rosa. Montgomery popped on 101 North and beat Windsor who only had 1 league loss to date, 58-41 I think I saw. Too bad they did away with the league tournament this year, if fans were to be allowed, those games provide a "postseason environment" to quote a close source. Lotta hoops left. To be determined if we visit www.upsetcity.com .......
Monty separating themselves. I know the “ball”. Is down in the NBL but Monty does have a win over Branson and played a very good st pats team even before falling by 2. They play good D and are well coached. Problem with all these NBL teams is D2 NCS is strongest division in years. Absolute loaded. I do think Monty will get a home round 1 in NCS and a W.

Gotta agree with guru on newman though. Most likely 1 and done in ncs. Maybe a year away.

@larry legend33 we all know the @northbaybbguru is always right...until he is dead wrong. The North Bay teams have plenty of shooters that on any given Wednesday can head south and upset a higher seed...I believe MHS dismantled a highly seeded and loaded Las Lomas team not too long ago...gotta continue to look at the glass as half full despite the optics...
leave the Sonoma County bubble Yacht...cross a bridge...and maybe you'll be reminded on what good boys basketball is.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me welcome you all to Covid rescheduling season...Windsor goes down the 101 and beats a usually tough at home Santa Rosa by 1 point despite being down 2 starters. Frustrating loss for the Panthers...Let's just say someone might be in the market for a new clipboard...

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Ladies and Gentlemen, let me welcome you all to Covid rescheduling season...Windsor goes down the 101 and beats a usually tough at home Santa Rosa by 1 point despite being down 2 starters. Frustrating loss for the Panthers...Let's just say someone might be in the market for a new clipboard...
as someone who's always blamed the club when I hook one into the houses on the golf course we all know it's the clipboard and not the coaching.

Montgomery hosted their longtime rivals Santa Rosa at the Viking Dome. Viking starters got to rest the 2nd half...no clipboards were harmed. Cardinal Newman handled Maria Carrillo down the stretch to win big. No clue on how Healdsburg and Windsor ended up. It's a shame there is no league tournament this year. 3 league games left to determine postseason seeding.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Montgomery hosted their longtime rivals Santa Rosa at the Viking Dome. Viking starters got to rest the 2nd half...no clipboards were harmed. Cardinal Newman handled Maria Carrillo down the stretch to win big. No clue on how Healdsburg and Windsor ended up. It's a shame there is no league tournament this year. 3 league games left to determine postseason seeding.
No clipboards were harmed! 🤣🤣🤣👍

I would like to amend my previous statement about Cloverdale being the only Sonoma County team playing in March. I overlooked their neighbors to the south Rio Lindo Adventist.

Down goes the mighty eagles of cloverdale.

Monty wins a pretty bad nbl league. I think they win a game or 2 depending on seedings in playoff. They have a 2 pt loss to 16-1 st pats and 4 pt loss to 20-5 a strong redwood team. Defensively they are very good but offensively they struggle. D2 is brutal though.

Hoops in a lot of areas seems down to me in norcal. I’ve been to quite a few SJS section games and not really impressed. Maybe Covid hangover.?

Reactions: observer22
But then there is a league like the DFAL that has probably never had 4 teams as strong as Campo, Miramonte, CVC & Northgate.

Reactions: concrete17
But then there is a league like the DFAL that has probably never had 4 teams as strong as Campo, Miramonte, CVC & Northgate.
That is very true. I guess I mean the traditional powerhouse teams like Sheldon , capital Christian , Folsom, etc. but you are right. There Are some very good teams especially in d2-d4.

Reactions: observer22
Montgomery comes away with a close one at longtime rival, Santa Rosa 50-48. Santa Rosa shot the lights out from behind the 3 point line. Lotta credit to the Panthers, they played really hard and are physical! It was a good old fashioned brawl! Interesting to see who gets an at large from North of the Golden Gate in D2... lotta shooters on any given Monday!

@UncleYacht ,
Are you thinking (d2)
In
Monty
Newman
Petaluma

Bubble
Casa
Santa rosa
Windsor

If SR beats newman Thursday that would be big and they probably get in. But as guru has stated it will be a quick exit this year. Maybe Monty or Newman get a W in round 1 but not looking too good after that. At least nobody will have to play campo because they will be open team. I think a very good northgate team will be #1 seed.
But hey, some of best baseball in norcal will be played in Sonoma county this year so we got that to look forward too. 😂

• Haha
@UncleYacht ,
Are you thinking (d2)
In
Monty
Newman
Petaluma

Bubble
Casa
Santa rosa
Windsor

If SR beats newman Thursday that would be big and they probably get in. But as guru has stated it will be a quick exit this year. Maybe Monty or Newman get a W in round 1 but not looking too good after that. At least nobody will have to play campo because they will be open team. I think a very good northgate team will be #1 seed.
But hey, some of best baseball in norcal will be played in Sonoma county this year so we got that to look forward too. 😂
Guru is standing firm on his one and done. I agree with your bubble teams. Lot of scenarios still in play. Let's see if anyone has time to head to the Midwest jar up a firefly, and effectively catch lightning in a bottle. I know @northbaybbguru loves analogies. Forgot to mention btw...zero whiteboard casualties this week...

The highest seed NBL team will obviously be Montgomery. I'll predict a 5 seed. I think they'll win their 1st round game***. Then they will face the 4 seed Redwood in the 2nd round for a rematch against a Redwood squad that squeeked out a victory over Monty earlier in the season. At Redwood and the season ends there in a heartbreaker loss 49-46.

***I dont know if the committee would pair league foes in the 1st round...BUT right now....Cardinal Newman sits as a potential 12 seed. Wouldn't that be an interesting 1st round 5/12 matchup? Not the 1st round matchup monty would want I'd imagine and the potential for a nightmare end of their season with a loss to their hated rivals after vanquishing them twice in league.

As a Newman alum...I would LOVE to see Monty in round one! Nothing to lose for a Newman squad whos had a mediocre season but talk about a win that would make their season....lol

The highest seed NBL team will obviously be Montgomery. I'll predict a 5 seed. I think they'll win their 1st round game***. Then they will face the 4 seed Redwood in the 2nd round for a rematch against a Redwood squad that squeeked out a victory over Monty earlier in the season. At Redwood and the season ends there in a heartbreaker loss 49-46.

***I dont know if the committee would pair league foes in the 1st round...BUT right now....Cardinal Newman sits as a potential 12 seed. Wouldn't that be an interesting 1st round 5/12 matchup? Not the 1st round matchup monty would want I'd imagine and the potential for a nightmare end of their season with a loss to their hated rivals after vanquishing them twice in league.

As a Newman alum...I would LOVE to see Monty in round one! Nothing to lose for a Newman squad whos had a mediocre season but talk about a win that would make their season....lol
I guess @larry legend33 really kicked off seeding prediction season...

My guess @northbaybbguru @larry legend33 is SR and Casa get in at large. Montgomery at 5 is soft though, 4 at the worst. No whiteboards were anywhere near this post, so consequently...none were even close to being compromised!

My guess @northbaybbguru @larry legend33 is SR and Casa get in at large. Montgomery at 5 is soft though, 4 at the worst. No whiteboards were anywhere near this post, so consequently...none were even close to being compromised!
@UncleYacht , I think Monty no worse than #5 especially since campo will be an open team. Newman would be around #9-10

Top 5
northgate
Redwood
SRV
Salesian
Monty

I guess @larry legend33 really kicked off seeding prediction season...
its that time of year baby!
@UncleYacht , I think Monty no worse than #5 especially since campo will be an open team. Newman would be around #9-10

Top 5
northgate
Redwood
SRV
Salesian
Monty
Spot on Larry!

I think Yacht is seeing the Monty seeding thru rose (or Monty red) colored glasses.

Of the other 4 listed here who should Monty be ahead of for seedings? Can't be Redwood...they beat Monty. 5 is soft???? Thats EXACTLY what they are getting.

its that time of year baby!

Spot on Larry!

I think Yacht is seeing the Monty seeding thru rose (or Monty red) colored glasses.

Of the other 4 listed here who should Monty be ahead of for seedings? Can't be Redwood...they beat Monty. 5 is soft???? Thats EXACTLY what they are getting.
Yup.. Monty has an impressive 2 pt loss to st pats however. Does that count…. I can’t see any nbl team beating Salesian either. Even a bad Salesian team is better than any nbl team. There D and pressure will cause issues.

guru. Newman returns like 85 %of there team and has a couple decent kids coming up. Any hopes next year?

Yup.. Monty has an impressive 2 pt loss to st pats however. Does that count…. I can’t see any nbl team beating Salesian either. Even a bad Salesian team is better than any nbl team. There D and pressure will cause issues.

guru. Newman returns like 85 %of there team and has a couple decent kids coming up. Any hopes next year?
And a Branson W

Santa Rosa 43-40 over newman!
upsetcity.com
Lots of close wins and losses in the NBL... Let's see where the chips fall on Sunday! Defensive battles have been popular lately! @larry legend33 @northbaybbguru maybe that can be a product of smaller league sizes, familiarity of opponents, and lack of home court advantage due to covid fan restrictions? The postseason tournament at Haehl used to be a pretty solid barometer with almost 2,000 fans in the stands as to how top teams would fair down the line?

Not sure Santa Rosa could be ahead of Windsor in the playoff rankings, windsor will finish 3rd with a loss tonight at Monty and a share of second with a miracle win

Personally, I think Newman gets too much credit from a lot of people up SR way. They are respectable but not better compared to other teams with similar records in the north bay. A lot of legacy credit gets thrown their way and the league isn't very good either. Just for perspective 15 of their 26 games played have been against teams with overall at best .500 but most losing records this year. Montgomery is a scrapy defensive minded team but they struggle offensively at times.
I like the Will L kid at SR, but he doesn't have much consistent help, much like the stud at Sonoma Valley. SR will have a tough game verse Monty.

Also with MCAL the top 3 -4 Teams are good teams but even they have had inconsistent play on a regular basis.

I have seen comparable competition in the VVAL and Monticello Empire leagues that can easily play with the MCAL teams.

Point is there is a lot of parity around various leagues and ncs should be fun after a year of no competition and two years of these poor kids getting screwed with covid.

Happy playoff watching

Reactions: Cranky29er
Personally, I think Newman gets too much credit from a lot of people up SR way. They are respectable but not better compared to other teams with similar records in the north bay. A lot of legacy credit gets thrown their way and the league isn't very good either. Just for perspective 15 of their 26 games played have been against teams with overall at best .500 but most losing records this year. Montgomery is a scrapy defensive minded team but they struggle offensively at times.
I like the Will L kid at SR, but he doesn't have much consistent help, much like the stud at Sonoma Valley. SR will have a tough game verse Monty.

Also with MCAL the top 3 -4 Teams are good teams but even they have had inconsistent play on a regular basis.

I have seen comparable competition in the VVAL and Monticello Empire leagues that can easily play with the MCAL teams.

Point is there is a lot of parity around various leagues and ncs should be fun after a year of no competition and two years of these poor kids getting screwed with covid.

Happy playoff watching
lol...not sure where you've been but there's plenty of us on NCP and around Sonoma County that have been calling out not only Newman but the other teams in the NBL for their (lets just say) not high quality of basketball being played. There are a couple of North Bay Homer's that try to argue otherwise but the lack of any success in sections alway prove (all of us who are critical) correct.

lol...not sure where you've been but there's plenty of us on NCP and around Sonoma County that have been calling out not only Newman but the other teams in the NBL for their (lets just say) not high quality of basketball being played. There are a couple of North Bay Homer's that try to argue otherwise but the lack of any success in sections alway prove (all of us who are critical) correct.
www.upsetcity.com

Y

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT